Birthday Part Three: Fig Bistro!

IMG_5080

We did so much over the weekend that I didn’t want to shove it all into one post because that would be overwhelming, for me at least. I hope you don’t mind these spread out posts.

After touring the Biltmore and getting a little tipsy at the wine tasting, we headed to Fig Bistro for dinner. Fig Bistro is a little French restaurant and it definitely brought me back to my days in France. Of course, we started with wine. I ordered the Riesling. I actually ordered a half glass because I was already feeling a nice kick and didn’t want to numb my tastebuds. Responsibly, I drank that half glass with five glasses of water throughout the meal.

IMG_5077

As you’re walking into Fig, there is a giant glass window that showcases the kitchen. You can stand there for a while watching the chef. It’s like a live cooking show. I like kitchens that are confident enough to open their doors to the public.

IMG_5082

We started out with two trays of Pommes Frites with herb aioli. Out of all the dishes, these were by far the favorite of the groups. They were perfectly seasoned, crisp, and hot! The herb aioli was great too!

IMG_5087

Imagine that, I ordered a salad. I had their Caesar salad and tomato soup. The tomato soup had nothing on the soup we had at Cedric’s Tavern. I could live without it and everyone agreed. We are the type of people that make everyone try everything on your plates.

PicMonkey Collage

All the other dishes were decent. I actually tried duck for the first time. I couldn’t put the fact that I was eating a DUCK aside and it kind of ruined it for me. It tasted really good and was cooked perfectly, but one bite was enough.

IMG_5092

After our meal, we ordered espresso and dessert. I wasn’t afraid to order cream with my espresso this time, but in France, you don’t order cream with your espresso after the morning.

IMG_5097

This was my first ever attempt at coffee art. I need to set my espresso machine up and work on my skills.

IMG_5099

They brought out a birthday dessert for me! It wasย Pots de Crรจme with a salted cashew cookie on top! I had a dessert like this one night in France!ย

IMG_5104

Ralph and Phyllis had the Lemon and Goat Cheeseย Panna Cotta. It had a raspberry Tai chili sorbet on top and a fig balsamic reduction around the sides. Have you ever tried fruit balsamic on your strawberries? If not, you should!

Fig was a pretty good restaurant, but a tad pricey to be honest. Our total as a group came to almost $400(including tip). We could have bought so many groceries with that! It was very crowded and small, so if you’re going to have dinner there, make sure you get a reservation.

IMG_5122

We didn’t want the night to end and so we headed to T.G.I.F for finger foods, and of course more wine! The restaurant was connected to our hotel and so we just hung out there for a while.

IMG_5120

The night was perfect and this is probably one of my favorite birthdays.

Comments

• tin

I love this place

Reply to tin
  • jacki

Those french fries looks so good!

Reply to jacki
  • halli

That place looks very neat. I could never afford that but it was of them to take you out for your birthday.

Reply to halli
  • wit

You have such a rich life. By rich I mean full of love.

Reply to wit
  • lili

That is in my hometown:) Will you do a meet and greet next time you’re in Asheville? You have so many fans!

Reply to lili
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

You should explore Asheville some more- it’s awesome! Glad you guys enjoyed your visit so much!

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out
  • Angela

Hope you had a great Birthday!!!

Reply to Angela
  • Sarah

Everything looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sarah

Reply to Sarah
  • Linda @ TheFitty

Restaurants that showcase the chef cooking the meal generally don’t have anything to hide and are skilled and confident in their chefs!

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Melissa @ The Green Palate Life

I’m the same way when it comes to duck (and lamb). I just can’t get over the cute little animal image! That dessert sounds amazing!

Reply to Melissa @ The Green Palate Life
  • Kelly

French Broad Chocolate Lounge is a must! It’s not at the Biltmore, it’s in downtown Asheville and it’s amazing!! They have all different/exotic flavored chocolates and desserts and live music too!

Reply to Kelly
  • Sarah @ Sarah’s on the Run

i LOVE Asheville! One of my favorite spots! My girlfriends and I are headed there for a weekend in March. ๐Ÿ™‚ We’re definitely going back to the Biltmore, specifically for the wine tasting! That’s always my favorite part anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Sarah @ Sarah's on the Run
  • Victoria

Every restaurant on the Estate is fantastic! When you come back I recommend having dinner at the Corner Kitchen in Biltmore Village, and dessert at the French Broad Chocolate Lounge!

Reply to Victoria

That’s where we were going to go! We will definitely have to go back and eat there because I’ve heard so many wonderful things about it.