Happy New Year from D.C.!

Hey there and happy Saturday!

I hope you all had a fun and safe New Year.ย It’s been a while since I’ve posted, so I have another LONG recap post for you. I’m currently in Washington D.C. My brother and Karleeย didn’t make it downย southย for Christmas, so I decided to come up this way and spend time with them during the holidays. Everyone is still asleep and I’m sitting in the living room watching the Food Network before they wake up. I know once they’re up, it’ll be go go go! We have a lot of things planned today. I also want to sneak in a run soon. Speaking of the Food Network…have any of you noticed how cheesy the shows have been lately? I get embarrassed for the chefs as they read the scripts…Cheesy or not, the food still looks good.

12443232_962279860485257_914739324_nย 12468187_962279137151996_802723780_n

Monday night was a blast. I went to the Hornets vs. Lakers game. It was pretty cool seeing Kobe Bryant play for the last time in Charlotte. Michael Jordan did a tribute for him and the Kobe fans really showed up. I was happy that the Hornets won, but I still have a lot of respect for Kobe. I love when the house is full and the energy is up in the arena.

12463920_962279717151938_715514141_n

That night, the pups kept me surrounded. I have way too many photos of these guys on my phone. I’m sure you pup owners do the same.

12421565_962281067151803_1959993699_n

Early Tuesday morning, I took the boys to the field to run around and get all their energy out. They LOVE chasing each other around.

12467744_962279970485246_1869926316_n

I also went grocery shopping Tuesday and made a delicious crockpot vegetable soup! I’ll post that recipe when I get home.

12443180_962279663818610_143181609_n

I had to take Tino over to the vet Tuesday for his bordetella shot so he can go to Dogtopia and socialize. He has to go to the shelter’s vet for a year after adoption and I’ve never seen him so scared. As soon as he saw the shelter he got really nervous. I felt so bad for him and I tried to reassure him that I was not dropping him off (as if he knew what I was saying.)

12467676_962279163818660_1803169442_nย 12459787_962279573818619_1325421593_n

He’s gained half his body weight since his last vet visit! He’s up to 61.2 pounds now. He won’t be getting much bigger…thank goodness.

12467705_962279520485291_1390581554_nย FURRY FRIEND PROGRAM BANNER

Tino also got the chance to meet his mom Molly. It’s so sad becuase she’s been in the shelter for almost a year now. She acts just like Tino and is so fun and cuddly. They actually use her for training.

12464037_962279167151993_1655984750_nย 12435825_962279107151999_2145805823_n

After the visit, I had a quick snack and headed to work on theย refurbished dresser. I had a honey crisp apple and a Quest Bar. I haven’tย had a quest bar in a while and I forgot how good they were ๐Ÿ™‚

12459973_962279437151966_2070868743_nย 12443188_962279390485304_334016143_n

12463666_962279183818658_1114928262_n

We were exhausted and hungry as can be after working on the house, so we headed to Azteca for some Mexican food. I really wanted Chopt, but there was no convincing Nick. He had his mind set on Mexican food and I had already talked I’m out of Waffle House Sunday morning. I ordered the steak quesadilla andย it was pretty good. I could only get a 1/4 of it down because it was so heavy.

12459845_962281120485131_524241419_n

Wednesday morning I took Grumples to Petsmart and picked up tons of new toys and chew bones. Him and Tino go through toys so fast! I don’t mind buying them becuase they actually play with them and rip them apart. If they’re happy, I’m happy.

12476300_962279303818646_724850363_n

It was thunder storming all day, so I decided to clean out my closet and get rid of all the clothes I haven’t worn in a year. I try to get rid of clothes once a year to get rid of clutter. I used to drop them all off at Goodwill, but now I drop them off at the Women’s shelter.

Before I began, I made some coffee and cranberry oatmeal! I like to add a little cinnamon and honey to my oatmeal.

12463733_962279277151982_1721563766_nย 12421562_962279257151984_899733988_n

When I clean my closet, I go all out. I empty EVERYTHING onto my floor and reorganize it. I usually do a better job, but there was just too much to go through. I’ll do it again once it gets warm.

Cleaning the closet is exhausting (It takes me about five hours to finish it), so snacks are necessary. I had yogurt and pineapple and then apples with peanut butter!

12459713_962279143818662_1615138804_n

I’ve also been catching up on Hart of Dixie! That is one of my favorite shows and I haven’t seen the last season. It’s so cheesy, but I can’t stop watching.

12393620_946972228720618_1131148196_n

This side has my shirts, skirts, and folded shorts. The other side has my dresses. It’s not organized very well, but I can do that later. As long as they’re not on my floor…I’m good. I’ve been looking up some cool DIY ideas for organizing shoes and other items on Pinterest.

12459780_962279190485324_1446957963_nย 12468226_962279193818657_1928196817_n

I met up with my friend Rachel on Wednesday night for dinner. We went to Nolen’s Kitchen and I highly recommend it. Our service was great and the food was fantastic. We started out with zucchini chips and holy moly yum! It came with a Greek yogurt dipping sauce. I ordered the steak caesar salad and it was so good that I forgot to take a photo. Whoooops.

After dinner, we grabbed cappuccinos.

1169091_936086183126774_1722425305_n

I wanted to get in a run before heading to D.C. on Thursday. ย I didn’t run much in December. I had poison Ivy for three weeks, the holidays kept me busy, and I was discouraged. My only New Year’s resolution as of right now is to run more. I’d like to run 30-35 miles a month. I also want to force myself to do more strength training. I also want to eat more green foods and healthier foods. I’ve been horrible at cooking at home and doing fun healthy recipes, so I’d like to do more of that.

My time has slowed since taking a running break, but I’m still happy that I finished it.

My funย running leggings are in my shop!

12459925_962747483771828_393300313_n

At four, I picked up a salad at Chopt before Iย headed out for D.C. I feel bad about ordering the same salad every time I go, but I wanted to play it safe. I will FOR SURE order a different combo next time.

12435943_962446507135259_1387302642_n

The Kebab Cobb is just one of my favorites. The salad has local feta, charred red onion, mama lips spicy peppers, pita chips, romaine lettuce, avocado, falafel and tossed in red wine vinaigrette and Greek yogurt tzatziki.

12436088_962446430468600_1597990657_n

One of my favorite parts about road trips are the skies, especially early in the morning or late in the evening.

12463553_962446383801938_782893866_n

Loving the Kevita drinks! I always have to have something to sip on during road trips.

12476036_962747470438496_1262559216_n

I made healthy peanut butter cookies before we headed out too! The recipe can be found here ๐Ÿ™‚

12442911_962446427135267_276121978_n

I ended up making it to D.C. in 5 1/2 hours. I was so excited because we wanted to be there before midnight!

12467875_962737830439460_1960395668_n

I was so excited to see Shaughna’s cat! They are in Hawaii for a month, so they let meย stay at their place.

12483454_962737653772811_16595388_n

My parents sent me to D.C. with all of T.C. and Karlee’s Christmas gifts. They also sent up some party favors!

12476013_962737723772804_305246409_n

We grabbed our party hats and headed to the waterfront to watch the fireworks.

12467702_962737737106136_2096932416_n

King Street was absolutely breathtaking. Each tree was lit up in Christmas lights and everything was so festive.

12463853_10205522417363711_1715621711_nย 12435567_10205522416883699_43824635_n

We are going to come up to Christmas shop next year!

12435932_10205522417483714_2075751579_n

We stopped at Laporta’s for a drink on our way back to T.C’s place.

4PicMonkey Collage

We didn’t get to bed until 3 am and I woke up at 7am on Friday to get ready for the bowl games. I was so tired, but was ready for a fun day. I wore the sweatshirt my mom got me for Christmas.

12483871_962993943747182_522349471_n

We all met up and headed to the Metro!

*silly fact. Karlee and I HATE taking photos together. Why?…we both have a good side and a bad side and it happens to be the same side. We start cracking up when we have to take a photo because we end up taking two photos. My right side is my better side and my left side is my bad side. I actually think it’s the way I part my hair. I’m going to try something different today. Can any of you relate on “sides”…or maybe we are just crazy.

2PicMonkey Collage

We got off the metro at the Archives.

999PicMonkey Collage

We went to Penn Social to watch Notre Dame play. It was one of the COOLEST bars I have ever been in. It had a rustic upstairs that was more quiet for food, board games, and drinks. The downstairs and arcade games, giant projector screens to watch the game, and tons of football fans! It was GIANT and I wish Charlotte had this place.

56PicMonkey Collage

We decided to order the Irish Breakfast in honor of the Notre Dame game. I wanted eggs anyways! It had scrambled eggs, irish bangers, brioche toast, and potato hash.

87PicMonkey Collage

12459645_962993517080558_1503774921_n

Karlee ordered the red velvet waffle.

It was really disgusting and soggy. Everyone agreed. BUT, HEY! IT’S BAR FOOD!

76567PicMonkey Collage

We headed back so we could watch the Hawkeye game at T.C.’s place. Being here with these two is so much fun and I’m always cracking up.

65PicMonkey Collage

I love taking the metro when the sun goes down. It’s a very beautiful ride.

776PicMonkey Collage

I stopped at Whole Foods to grab some snacks for the game. I grabbed a blueberry vanilla & cashew Kind bar (favorite) , fresh fruit, and a Whole Foods green juice. Those juices are only $3.00 and really good compared to all the other brands.

67PicMonkey Collage

T.C.’s cats are fun to play with. That’s fat frank. T.C. and Karlee adopted him a couple years ago. Some lady had over 50 pets in her house and they were all covered in bugs, missing hair, and underweight. They nursed him back to health and now he’s the happiest kitty ever.

345PicMonkey Collage

This is Jax. He’s a character…

12463996_962993660413877_1827265143_n

T.C. and Karleeย steamed some crab legs and made guacamole for the Iowa game. The Iowa game was a blow!

12483341_962993653747211_1246529881_n

THAT FACE ๐Ÿ˜‰

I went to bed at ten last night and finally caught up on some sleep!

I know this recap was kind of all over the place but it’s better than nothing ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m off to the treadmill!

THREE QUESTIONS FOR YOU!

1. What did you do for New Years?
  2. What is your favorite road trip snack?

Comments

• Anna

You are so beautiful and it is so funny becuase i as well have a bad side and a good side. Hello from Czech Republic!

Reply to Anna
  • Kelley

Personally, I find the area you grew up in, as well as the area that your parents live in now to be impoverished. It’s all about perspective ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply to Kelley
  • Victoria

I love Penn Social!! We went to DC for a week back in April and ended up going to Penn Social three different times because we enjoyed it so much. We would take breaks from all the museums/monuments to have a beer and play games. I live in Greensboro NC and they don’t have anything like it here either. We typically hit up our corner bar that has an interactive trivia game you play on your phones haha. I really liked District Taco in DC. We went there for dinner one night and it was yummy. Decently priced as well. I’m so jealous you get to spend so much time in DC! I’ve been keeping up with your blog for four years now. Thanks for letting your readers following along on your life journey! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Victoria
  • Jessica Gallaway

Hello! My name is Jess and I’m such a big supporter. My life has so many similarities to your journey and it is always so fun to read your blog and relate. I’ve never commented before but always wanted to so here goes!

1. New Years was interesting, I don’t remember anything past 10:30. Whoops haha
    2. I make my own trail mix with sliced almonds, peanuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and pistachios and take it everywhere!
    3. My favorite thing to do in a new place is look up the best rated coffee shops in the area and go! I am a coffee freak/addict, which ever is more acceptable:) I was in D.C. over summer for my mom’s business meeting at the capital so while she was gone, I explored everywhere. I went to two coffee shops, La Colombe and Chinatown Coffee. Both were awesome!! And my other absolute favorite place to go was the Protein Bar, I think you would like that place! Thank you for asking your questions!

Reply to Jessica Gallaway

Hi Jess!

Thank you so much for commenting ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for reading!!

1. Lol your New Year’s sounds pretty dang fun!!
      2. Yum! Homemade trail mix is the best.
      3. I also LOVE going to the coffee shops! Karlee and I went to the Protein bar and it was pretty good!! I need to try La Colombe and Chinatown coffee next time I’m there! Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚ xo xo

• Nicole

I actually just moved away from DC (temporarily) but spent nearly 4 years there. My college alumni bar is also Penn Social… we meet up there to watch the football games together, since UCF has a HUGE alumni base in DC. It’s such a fun bar and they have decent wings!

I saw on Instagram that you’ve already hit Baked & Wired, which is always my suggestion… and Founding Farmers. (If you haven’t gone for breakfast, do so also!)

I’ll also suggest Kebab Palace (the entrance off of Eads Street, NOT the entrance off of Jefferson Davis… if there are bumper stickers everywhere inside, you’re in the right place… you’ll see what I mean, there are like 6 kabob places right next to each other.) Anyways, it’s 24 hours, and it’s AMAZING Afghan/Halal kabobs. It’s my favorite take out and I already miss it… be sure to ask for extra green yogurt sauce (I usually ask for only one scoop of rice and extra curried chick peas and spinach instead.)

Reply to Nicole

So lucky! If I lived in D.C., I’d find it so hard to leave! I could totally see Penn Social being the place for meet ups! It’s probably one of the coolest bars I’ve ever been to.

I go to baked & wired EVERY time I am here. I love it so much and try to get something new every time I’m there. We are going to do Founding Farmers for breakfast next time.

We will have to try Kebab Palace sometime!!

Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚ xo

• AD

Go to Goodwill for stuffed toys for Grump and Tino. $.50 each – and it doesn’t matter if they destroy them. I usually buy 5-6 at a time and just give my dog a new one every time I have to throw one out.

Reply to AD
  • Melanie

How fun! D.C. looks like an amazing place. I would love to make a trip there this summer.
    My NYE was pretty low-key. My friends and I stayed in and cooked dinner before watching the ball drop!
    Quest bars make a great road trip snack! My favorite flavor is the Cookies & Cream.
    Sounds like you have some great goals in mind! One of my goals for the new year is to get back into running. I want to ease into it and start with 15-20 miles a week. I was thinking of signing up for a half marathon in April to motivate myself! Do you run races often?

Reply to Melanie

D.C. is so much fun. I definitely recommend it in the summer. You can do so much more outside and its fun to walk around with a tank and shorts in the sun! I’m going to make sure to make it a thing to spend two weeks of every summer in D.C. Watching the ball drop is one of my fave things to do at New Years! Sad I missed it ๐Ÿ™

Quest bars are AWESOME for road trips. Cookies and Cream are amazing.

Definitely ease back into it. I’m taking a little break this week and getting back into it on Wednesday full force. Thats great for motivation.

I actually hate races. I love to run to run. Racing gives me anxiety and I don’t like all the people around me, I simply do not like it. I get rushes of adrenaline and it’s not fun. Maybe one day I’ll enjoy it…but I’ve tried.

• Amanda

I love our blog. I wake up every morning and read your blog with my cup of coffee. I can’t wait to read your new vacation posts.

Reply to Amanda
  • Dessie

Love that jacket! Where is it from?

Reply to Dessie
  • Amanda

For NYE, we stayed at home- it was lovely. Five years ago, I never would have stayed home by choice!

Reply to Amanda
  • Stacie

I live in DC and I love Penn Social. Games definitely make for a fun bar night! They also have great live music sometimes. Glad you got to experience it!

Reply to Stacie
  • Brooklyn

It’s so cute that Tina got to meet his mom ๐Ÿ™‚
    For New Years we had friends over for drinks and a kevin hart marathon it was fun but I worked early the next day and was so tired! Worth it though

Reply to Brooklyn
  • erica

i also just realized that my ‘good side’ is also due to which way i part my hair !

Reply to erica
  • Suzy

Hi Taralynn!!! I’m from Spain and I discovered your page 2 days ago. I love it!! I’ve read your story and I feel identified with you… I was fat until I decided to change my life, and I am so happy now. I have still to go further because I want to achieve my ideal weight. I know I can, and you are one of my biggest inspirations!! (Forgive me, it seems I have taken drugs, lol).

Reply to Suzy
  • Blair Smithson

I love your color contacts! Where from?

Reply to Blair Smithson
  • Jenn

Hart of Dixie makes me wish I could move to a small town down South and just start all over again with my family. It makes small town living seem so picturesque.

Definitely check out the Smithsonian. It’s been years since I’ve been down to DC but I loved Natural History and the art museum. I just love going to art museums in general and looking around. I’m not an artist myself but it just amazes me what some of the great painters and sculptors were able to create.

Reply to Jenn

lol I love the small town life as well :)…(just how the show portrays it)

Karlee and I went to the Smithsonian last time I was here and loved it. I also love art museums. The ones in Paris are my favorite.

• De @ de-lightful.com

So cute! I love all of your pics. That kitty is adorable!

I know it’s a bit touristy but I love the Newseum in D.C. I think it’s so interesting and there’s always so many different exhibits each time.

Reply to De @ de-lightful.com
  • Cynthia L. Smith

Happy New Year Taralynn,

Thank you for sharing. You kept pretty busy for the holiday and the photos were do refreshing and exciting to see. I also live Old Town and the lights. I didn’t make it for the fireworks but I did go to church at Alfred Street on Duke and Alfred Street to bring in the New Year. I look forward to awesome things happening and a better year, better job, better pay, with great expectancy! I visited family for Christmas and my little cousins were a joy to be around! I did eat a lot and must loose weight now. For my jeans are now tooooo tight. Lol! Eating habits have changed and I must get back on course and thin out! I have to get back into my vintage clothing! I also look forward to moving so that I can decorate and buy furniture to refurbish. By the way, you did a beautiful job on that dresser! My best to you in the New Year and God’s tremendous blessings in your life!

Reply to Cynthia L. Smith

Happy New Year Cynthia!

Thank you so much ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re so lucky to live here. I love D.C. so much and it is probably one of my favorite places in the U.S. I love all of your New Year’s goals! Christmas definitely does that to all of us! I’ve never had a Christmas where I didn’t gain 3-4lbs! Just take it day at a time and soon you’ll be back! Refurbishing is so much fun ๐Ÿ™‚ You’ll love it ! xo xo xo

• Emily

What kind of quest bar is that in your picture?? I’ve only had one or two kinds but I wasn’t a fan which was a huge letdown because literally everyone talks them up! That one looks delicious though!

Reply to Emily
  • My

Are you going to do any ‘lunch box’ posts now that you’re studying? ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to My
  • Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me

Just wanted to pop in to say I really like the dark hair color on you. It suits you well.

Reply to Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me
  • Leslie

Hey Taralynn! Glad to hear your New Year’s is starting off well! My New Year’s, we decided to go to a nice, mature dinner at a Japanese Steakhouse (yum yum sauce is a weakness of mine!) and then act like we were still spry 21 year olds instead of the 25 year old grannies we are usually and go out to the bars. It was one of the best New Year’s in a long time!
    You’ve kind of inspired me to make sure I have a healthy go to snack for drives. I always have some kind of fresh fruit like grapes and a banana plus something with a little bit of salt like pretzels or popcorn.
    And yes, my brother used to live in D.C. too and I absolutely love it! The Metro is the best! Glad you’re having fun!
    Also, really random, but the song I happened to be listening to while I read this is called Emmeline by Bruno Merz. It’s actually a really sweet song, but there’s actually a line in it that reminds me of your #cheeking and I cracked up when I heard it! Have fun in D.C.!

Reply to Leslie

Hi Leslie!

YUM! I love Japanese steakhouses. I didn’t know what yum yum sauce was until I moved south! I don’t like it, but Nick is obsessed with it. He puts it on everything! I will also be a 25 year old grandma this month…yikes! I’m so happy you had an amazing New Years!

I can’t go on a trip without snacks. I’m like a five year old ๐Ÿ™‚ haha

Glad you got to experience it too!!

Hahahaa that is so funny and I’m going to have to go listen to it now! xo xo xo

Have a great day!

• whitney

So off topic but my family are not the skinniest people but they ALWAYS call me fat or tank or something that puts me under so much stress which causes me to gain more weight because I feel worthless. I hate exercising but I put all my favorite songs on my ipod and just leave the house and go on really long walks.It helps me get over all anxieties and makes me happy and stress free. So I want to eat healthier (Your blog is super helpful with that) and I’ll do this every day and follow your blog religiously because you’re such an inspiration, T! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I stayed home and worked on a puzzle then hung out with my boyfriend (his family is italian too)
    2. I don’t eat snacks on road trips.
    3. And i’m boring lol. Never been to D.C.

Reply to whitney

Hi Whitney!

I’m sorry you are going through this. I can kind of relate. When I set out on my weight loss journey, my parents were very proud of me. I really appreciated their support as they would provide me with healthy food, tell me how great I was looking, and go on walks with me. BUT, sometimes it got a little frustrating. If I chose to eat something high calorie, my mom would say something about it, or if I was eating late at night, she’d say “thought you didn’t eat after six”, but to be honest…she was saying these things to support me and I was taking them the wrong way. She didn’t realize that some of her comments came off as “jabs” and I would get really upset.

You need to sit down with your mom and tell her that you are trying to improve your healthy, workout, and doing everything you can. Let her know that her comments (that she may think are helpful) are discouraging and hurt your feelings. Tell her that she needs to trust that you can do this on your own and do not need any side comments. Tell her what they do to you and how you feel about them. Sometimes, it’s even easier to write a letter than do it to her face. It comes off as less of an attack, you can get your words out, and not get fired up. Mom’s sometimes don’t understand until we explain it all out. Her comments may come from a good place, but it’s hard sometimes! Just talk with her and do what makes you happy deep down inside.

xo xo xo

• whitney

Also this..My mom keeps commenting on my weight, asking me if I worked out, harassing me about everything I eat. Ive confronted her and told her that she needs to stop because it’s triggering and she doesn’t. She hangs around the kitchen at night to make sure I don’t get something to eat after 8. I ate an apple and a cup of air popped popcorn for dinner tonight and she said good job.

I’d just love to get some advice from you. thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to whitney
  • Selina

Hey, Taralynn.
    I wanted to weigh in on the “sides” thing. My left side is my best side and people always laugh when I ask them to trade spots with me in a picture. ๐Ÿ™‚ Those are some super cute kitties that T.C. has!! Also, Hart of Dixie was one of my favorite shows too. I’m sad that it’s over. ๐Ÿ™ Annnnnd……I just have to say that the picture of you & Nick that is a split pic with the pic of you on the Metro is probably my favorite pic of you ever. I don’t know what it is about it, but you just look so young, beautiful, healthy, and happy. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I’m looking forward to another year of your posts! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Selina

Hahaha I’m so glad to see that Karlee and I are not nuts with the “sides” thing!

I could never have a cat becuase Grumples HATES them, but I live through T.C’s! The thing about Hart of Dixie, it’s one of those shows you can watch over and over again. I never get sick of reruns.

Thank you so much! I feel really happy and healthy! xo xo

Happy New Year’s Selina and thank you for reading! xo

• Mallori

I LOVE HART OF DIXIE. And I agree… TOTALLY cheesy, I actually restarted the entire season because Netflix just released the fourth season! Ah! And your closet organization makes me happy, ha!

I hope you had a fantastic New Years, seems like all holidays are a blast for you.

I’ve been to DC a couple times, and my favorite memory was playing glow-in-the-dark bocci ball at Capitol Hill.

Can’t wait to see all the exciting things 2016 brings to you.

#cheeking,
    Mal

Reply to Mallori

I did the same thing!! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s been so long since I’ve watched it all the way through. I’m pretty sad they canceled it becuase Zoey is my style icon. My closet needs more organization but at least its off the floor and out of my boxes!

I try to make the best of all Holidays!

That actually sounds like so much fun!!!

xo xo xo hahaha love it #cheeking

• Kelsey

New years eve we went to my parents house to watch some football and eat pizza and chips and dip and salsa and then around 10pm we went back home and I could barely make it till 12. I was begging my gf to let me go to sleep lol I guess I am getting old ๐Ÿ™

I normally carry any type of gronola bar and water.

I have never been to D.C. but I sure would love to some day! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Kelsey

Yum! That sounds like a fun New Years.

I always get tired before 12 unless I’m occupied. I can’t watch T.V. or I’ll be out!

Granola bars are awesome for road trip snacks and you ALWAYS need water with those! lol

D.C. is a must so put it on your list!

xo xo Happy New Years!

• Dee

I LOVED Hart of Dixie. So sad it got canceled. The last episode was so strange though! I was team Wade through every season!

Hope you have a lovely new year! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Dee
  • Jessie M @ The Acquired Sass

1. For NYE I went to a low key party at a friends house, but at about 1030 I crashed, so the BF & I booked it home & got in bed before midnight. & it was great!
    2. I love salted cashews or homemade Chex mix. If I’m being really healthy, bell pepper slices.
    3. I have been to DC lots of times, but honestly I’m not a huge fan of the city. I will say I love taking the metro there though. There isn’t much public transportation where I live, so it’s great to be able to be car free & not sit in traffic!

Reply to Jessie M @ The Acquired Sass

Hey Jessie!

I love the Low Key New Year’s! At least you were all rested up. I was exhausted the next day. Bell peppers with hummus is a great snack! & homemade chexmix is always good.

What parts of D.C. have you been to? Did you get to experience Georgetown?

• Mechela

I love D.C. Since Nick is a history buff, that is a great place. My favorites are the Smithsonian Museums, Fords Theatre (and the house across the street where Lincoln died.), Arlington, and the Holocaust Museum (terribly sad but a must!). You guys should also venture out to Chancellorsville, VA and other major Civil War battle sites throughout that area.

Reply to Mechela
  • Emily B

1. Not much of anything. Visiting my husband’s family and I was so tired that I was in bed before the clock struck 12. Super lame, I know!
    2. I try to keep healthy snacks in the car. Mixed nuts, protein bars, Boom chicka popcorn and apple chips. But my guilty pleasure snack is licorice.
    3. The monuments/memorials for sure. The history of them all is just astounding. And definitely the Holocaust Museum. One of my favorite places in DC. My husband and I were just there in August and if you want a good place to eat, Founding Farmers, Ted’s Bulletin, and GCDC (grilled cheese DC) were our favorite places ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Emily B

Lol it happens! ๐Ÿ™‚ Not lame at all.

Those are all some of my favorite snacks.

I still haven’t made it to the Holocaust Museum but I have it on my list for next time I’m here.

We went to Founding Farmers last night and it was THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

XO XO

• Laura

Oh, I am so jealous you got to spend NYE in DC! I’m from there, but don’t get to go home too often. I’m guessing you’ve done the Smithsonian already, but in case not I definitely recommend the American History Museum (the first lady dresses is my favorite exhibit), and the Holocaust museum is very difficult but so well put together. It’s also hard to beat a walk through Arlington National Cemetery. If you really want to get into some history, it’s a short drive out to Mt. Vernon (George Washington’s home) and it’s gorgeous out there.

Reply to Laura

Hi Laura!

I sure do love it here! ๐Ÿ™‚ It was a last minute thing…I looked at Nick and said, “you wanna go to D.C. for new year’s?” and he’s like “lets go to D.C. for new years” lol So we are here!

I took Nick to the Arlington Cemetery yesterday and we watched the changing of the guards he loved it. I really want to make it out there!! Maybe next time ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much!

xo

• Rebecca

I love watching heart of dixie as well. I love the way you organized you closet it so cool, mine is color coded. I also have a good side and a bad side i am glad i am not the only person. I stayed at home and watched the ball drop and didn’t get in bed till 3am also and i woke up at 6:30 the next morning. On road trips i don’t eat that much because i get car sick but do you have any recomendations of what to eat? I have never been to DC but i am hoping to go this year or next. I also just wanted to say i love your blog, this is my first time commenting but i have been reading for the last few months.

Reply to Rebecca

Hi Rebecca!

I used to color coordinate my closet, but now i stick to tanks with tanks, skirts with skirts, cardigans with cardigans etc…and I can’t do that with colors lol.

Team good side bad side for the win!

I’m kind of bummed I didn’t get to watch the ball drop. I love that, but I had fun walking King Street too!

I like to have keep green juice and almonds in the car! I’m not sure what helps with car sickness! I heard cherries help with easing the stomach and anxiety…that may help.

D.C. is a must! There is SO MUCH to see/do/go and you’ll need at least a week to knock it all out. I’m sad Nick can’t see everything.

Thank you for commenting!! xo xo please keep in touch!

-Taralynn

• Kelsey

A D.C. trip wouldn’t be complete without eating at the historic Old Ebbit Grill, right next to the White House! Have fun ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Kelsey

We will have to look into that next time we are here! (which is a lot) We went to Founding Farmers last night ๐Ÿ™‚

• Liz

And don’t forget, there’s no eating or drinking on the metro! And stay to the right on the metro escalators!

Reply to Liz
  • Dorka

Awwh, Tino’s got so big! Wasn’t he a little puppy just yesterday? Oh and I can totally relate to having a better side at picture! Same here, my right profile looks way better, but until now nodoby seemed to understand, haha!

Reply to Dorka
  • Erin

Favorite road trip food… Dried mango and pineapple from trader joes! And their dry roasted unsalted almonds! ๐Ÿ™‚

For New Years I went to a casino, they had 3 separate New Years parties. We were planning on staying in but our friends talked us into it!

Never been to DC. But I know fun stuff to do in the Phoenix area if you’re ever here!

Reply to Erin
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

I know this is dorky but I love the air and space museaum! It’s free admission and its really interesting! Dont forget to pick up some astronaut food in the gift shop too ๐Ÿ™‚ haha! I went to DC for my anniversary a couple of years ago and had so much fun! I’m hoping to go in April one year during the cherry blossom festival!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Lauren

Hey I’ve been a couple times , you guys should see some museums there. The air and space museum is great and the IMAX experience there is something you shouldn’t miss.
    Have fun
    Lauren

Reply to Lauren
  • Sloan

LOVE Hart of Dixie!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Team Zade all the way!

Reply to Sloan