A New Home In The South: Charleston

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As you all know, my parents sold their house, packed everything up, and moved their lives down to Charleston. That’s awesome for me because now when I drive home to visit, it’s only three hours instead of eighteen. It also gives me an excuse to visit Charleston more.

Early this morning, I drove down to visit them for a Thanksgiving weekend.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAΒ OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We took them to my favorite breakfast spot, Sweetwater CafeΒ on Market Street in Downtown Charleston. It’s right off of King’s Street. My mom ordered herself a big bowl of grits! I’m not a fan of them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I ordered a farmer’s omelet with bacon, wheat toast, and fresh fruit.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Huevos Rancheros.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Once I find a breakfast spot that I like, I stick to it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After breakfast, we walked around downtown. I showed my parents the Market.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We went into a cute cafe, Carmella’s, to get cannolis and coffee. Actually, we needed to use the bathroomΒ andΒ felt bad, so we bought something.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

They were delicious. I wanted to go there last time I was in Charleston but it was closed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We visited the Pier and walked around all the fountains.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The weather was perfect and this is what winter should feel like. 60 degrees? I’ll take it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You can hardly see it in the picture, but there is a navy ship in the background. My parents met on a Navy ship in Italy 30 years ago in Italy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAΒ 10805338_10203183374769108_1548474489_n

We stopped at Charleston Candy Kitchen for Gelato. Last time, I had the coconut flavor and it was unbelievable. This time I got the pistachio and it was pretty good! Not as good as the coconut though. I may have spoiled myself with so much Waxhaw Creamery pistachio almond ice cream that nothing can compare now.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After our gelato, we headed to the wine store and picked up some drinks to watch football. My mom made us some leftover Thanksgiving plates and we put ourselves into more food comas. I’m so tired that I’ll probably be in bed by eight tonight. I plan on waking up early for a good run!

Comments

• Jen

What happened to your parents living in Charleston? I’m dying to find a reason to move their.

Reply to Jen
  • Claudia

I just found your blog and I love it! Hopefully someday I can travel this much as well! How do you take your pictures with no other people or pedestrians in them?

Reply to Claudia
  • Haley B.

Ah! I wish I’d found your blog post last week! My husband flew to Charleston yesterday morning for work, and back last night! He’d asked me to come with him, and we’d go for the weekend, but I didn’t know what fun things to do in Charleston, so I declined. πŸ™ I opted in tho for his trip to Philadelphia at the end of the week since there are things there I want to do! πŸ™‚ New follower right here!! πŸ™‚

Reply to Haley B.
  • Candace

I live in Charleston! When I was younger I hated it, but now that I’m older I love going downtown for a scroll or just to shop. Your parents look so happy. Great post.

Reply to Candace
  • Christine

I’ve always wanted to visit Charleston, and ever since you’ve started to post your adventures there, I’ve decided I’m planning a trip! Haha.

Do you have any recommendations on hotels that are within a good walking distance of the downtown area?

Can’t freaking wait to get up there πŸ™‚

Reply to Christine
  • Karla

What a fun family! That picture of your parents in front of the water with your mom mid-laugh? Priceless.

Reply to Karla
  • Emy

Your mom looks so young!

Reply to Emy
  • EVA

love your blog

Reply to EVA
  • Dainia Smith

It was absolutely gorgeous in Charleston today. You should have taken the boat taxis out for the tour or rode the horses. I think your parents would love the horses.

What is Nick crying about? He acts like he has such a hard life. Is he really upset or are you just having him pose? If he is upset you need to find someone with a better attitude.

Reply to Dainia Smith

The horses kind of make me sad. I wish they were on a farm rather than pulling those big carts ;( However, the boat taxi looked fun and it’s on the list for next time.

Nick was just joking on the stairs.

• Sara

Your mom looks so young!

Reply to Sara
  • Kristin C

The only time I’ve ever been to Charleston was for the first day of my honeymoon, before we set sail on our cruise. That was last March. I’d love to go back soon and really explore. We didn’t go downtown until after dark, so I didn’t really get to see anything.
    We went to a seafood restaurant called “Pearlz” and that was about it.
    When I go back I want to duck into all the little shops and find some “hidden gems”.

Reply to Kristin C

Ahhh you should go back! It’s great. And yes, you’ll need more than a day there to enjoy it. We were going to go to Pearlz the other night, but settled for something else. I’ll have to try it out next time. Nick said it’s pretty good.

• Wonni

IΒ΄m so glad for you, that your parents are just three Hours away. They look so friendly! β™₯ And I must agree… you look like your mum.
    As always: beautiful pictures! …but WHY does Nick sit on the stairs and look so offended? πŸ™‚
    Had to laugh about 60 degrees. ItΒ΄s getting cold over here… sunny day with 20 degrees. eeeew

Reply to Wonni

I’m so happy too! Makes traveling “home” a lot easier now. And thank you, that’s definitely a compliment. Nick was just joking in that photo. I was chanting “stoop kid” from the cartoon hey arnold.

Where are you located?

• Jennifer Arteaga

You look just like your Mom!!! She is gorgeous and your Dad is very handsome! I am so glad they moved down south closer to you.

Reply to Jennifer Arteaga
  • Becky

Your parents look like such warm and compassionate people. I love your relationship with them πŸ™‚

Reply to Becky
  • LJ

I live in downtown Charleston and let me tell you, it was NOT 60 last weekend haha. It get’s nearly as cold as Charlotte does (I go back and forth between downtown Charleston and downtown Charlotte because I work in Charleston, but my family is in Charlotte), but the summers in Charleston are so horribly hot that I’d say Charlotte has the definite edge on weather! And this is coming from a Floridian. Charleston summers are the worst! Enjoy the 60 degree weather while you can!

Reply to LJ
  • Emily

That picture of your parents at the breakfast table is so perfect and quaint with the horse drawn carriage going by haha!

Reply to Emily
  • Piret

Your mom is so pretty!

Reply to Piret
  • EVA

πŸ™‚

Reply to EVA
  • Linda @ TheFitty

Oh my gosh, that cannoli looks generously stuffed! Also, is Huevos Rancheros cheese and eggs with creamy dressing?

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Samantha Anderson

Charleston is such an amazing city. So much history there, you really need to check out the farmers market on Sunday it is amazing.

Also, can you please post a picture of Nick. He sounds like an amazing guy. I saw one picture of him and he looks very Italian and very handsome. Can you tell us more about him? All we know a out him is his name.

Reply to Samantha Anderson