Friendsgiving Feast: Roasted Veggies & Apple Pie

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

To be honest, I’ve never really looked forward to Thanksgiving. I always overshadow the holiday with Christmas. I’m not a fan of Thanksgiving food, but these past couple of years I’ve enjoyed it more. I love cooking and Thanksgiving gives me an excuse to go all out. Yesterday we had our friendsgiving and I had so much fun preparing for it.

Everyone brought something. I chose to bring the pie and the roasted vegetables.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’ve made this pie several times. You can find the recipe here.ย

ย  ย  ย  OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You can use this crust recipe with any pie filling.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is the best I’ve ever made my roasted vegetables and you know I make them a lot!

Frying garlic in olive oil to season roasted vegetables!

A video posted by Taralynn (@taralynnmcnitt) on

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

To give the olive oil a garlic flavor, I fried garlic cloves in olive oil.

(1/4 cup of olive oil & 2 heads garlic)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As soon as the garlic cloves were crisp and brown, I added them and the olive oil to the baking pan.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You can add any vegetables you’d like to the dish. I used: butternut squash, zucchini, colored bell peppers, red potatoes, and sweet potatoes. I added cranberries for a fall feel and they were a great addition.

I seasoned them with brown sugar, garlic and herb, and olive oil.

I baked them for 1 hour at 380 degrees. I flipped them every twenty minutes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAย ย OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We all brought our dogs to friendsgiving too.

10815729_782060635173848_837061850_n-2 ย 10818721_782060671840511_1033073563_n

Instead of slaving over turkey, we had chicken wings ordered from Mac’s.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I will be adding a new column to my blog called “ASK MC.” She’s a blogger over atย QCPRINCESS. She honestly gives the best advice and it would be fun to do a weekly segment having her answer your questions about life.

Anyways, she made these awesome ham & cheese honey rolls. So good! Probably my favorite dish of the night.

Roasted Vegetables.

Chicken wings > Turkey.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Everyone brought over food and we had everything you could imagine. There was more food there than my family’s thanksgiving dinners.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This was by far my favorite thanksgiving/friendsgiving meal.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There was no going back for seconds because I was stuffed and the only spot left in my stomach was reserved for dessert.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Did you have a friendsgiving this year? If so, what did you make?

Comments

• Jay

What a great spread of food! I have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at my house every year. Christmas dinner is laid back with ribs and other meats, green beans, kale, potato or macaroni salad and other food items. Dessert always is a store bought 1/4 sheet cake. I think next Christmas I’ll add Asian fried rice to the mix.

Reply to Jay
  • Sara

Hi Taralynn!!!!! Is there anyway you can post or send me that ham and cheese honey rolls recipe? Omg I need those!!!!! I also want your strawberry pretzel dessert recipe!!!!!! Thanks!! Keep up the great work. You inspire me daily xoxo

Reply to Sara
  • Anete

Reading you blog in the morning make me feel good and puts me in a good mood. I like the way you enjoy life, how you make everything special, and well, it’s just inspiring! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Anete
  • Shannon

Wow!! Everything looks so well done and I bet it tasted amazing! All my friends live too far away to do this, but I’m hoping to be able to have them all here for Christmas. I miss doing this with my friends on a monthly basis to catch-up and just spoil each other. With Thanksgiving being on Thursday, I’m already starting to panic because I’m not sure how I will be able to eat anything without gaining 10 pounds! I’m afraid that I’m going to get look like a pig eating everything due to my lack of control. How do you stay true to your stomach and know when to say that you’ve had enough? Thanks Taralynn for being so awesome! Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply to Shannon
  • Anna

Looks like a great time!! Hope you’re doing well and loving life!

Reply to Anna
  • Linda @ TheFitty

What a masterpeiece pie! I have the vitamix blender but I don’t think that is as good as having a kitchenaid stand mixer. It’s on my wishlist this Christmas. what did you use to edit the ibstagram video?

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Kristin C

Everything looks delicious!
    I love the idea of frying garlic in the E.V.O.O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil).
    I am excited to try that!

I am not having Friends-giving, BUT it is my first married Thanksgiving and I have been asked to bring a veggie casserole to the in-laws house ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m excited to really be participating as a cook instead of just eating everyone else’s food ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Kristin C
    • nicole

Congrats Kristin! When did you get married? This is also my first married Thanksgiving (got married October 29, 2014). Which is why I decided to cook for everyone this year. I am super excited to be MRS. and cook Thanksgiving dinner.

Reply to nicole
  • Ashley @ AllAshleyMarie

Everything looks delicious. We always have pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, but it’s always store bought. I know homemade pumpkin pie takes a lot of time to make so this apple pie recipe would be a great alternative!

Reply to Ashley @ AllAshleyMarie
    • Kelly

Pumpkin pie is the easiest (and my absolute favorite)! You literally just throw all the ingredients in a bowl and stir. I just use the recipe on the back of the pumpkin can label. Just search “Libby’s Pumpkin Pie” online. It may not be the healthiest Thanksgiving food, but once a year won’t hurt, right?

Reply to Kelly
  • Nicole

This couldn’t have come at a better time. I was assigned the task of veggies and pie for our Thanksgiving meal. Now I don’t have to go around the internet searching for recipes. I’ve got two great ones right here. I am really looking forwarding to making that pie crust. It’ll be my first year making pie from scratch. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Nicole
  • Jessica

This year I didn’t have a friendsgiving. I love how you guys did ham sandwiches and wings – great idea! This year, I have two Thanksgivings (one with my family & one with my husbands). I am making an apple pie for one of them and I still have to figure out a recipe for the other ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Jessica