Thanksgiving is in less than 10 days. Have you thought about what healthy options you’ll be making? I know I have! I don’t want to leave the Thanksgiving table feeling overstuffed and bloated. I hate the carb overload and sugar high. Thank goodness my family is up for a healthy Thanksgiving as well. One of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is the dessert. If you have not noticed yet, I have the biggest sweet tooth. Here is my recipe for one of the most popular pies during any Holiday, apple pie. A typical apple pie has a whopping 400-500 calories per slice. My recipe only has 190 calories per slice. It is also made without using pie’s popular ingredients such as : butter, sugar, lard, white four and corn syrup.
A couple weeks ago, I tried making a cherry meringue pie using : graham crackers, honey and bananas for the crust. It was a success and a hit in my house. I wanted to play it safe, and use the same crust for my apple pie.
You will need :
- 12 Low Fat Honey Whole Grain Graham Crackers
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Medium Bananas
- Break graham crackers into little pieces. Add to electric mixer.
- Mash bananas with a fork. Add to electric mixer with graham crackers.
- Add Honey.
- Mix on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Slowly, increase speed until ingredients form a dough texture.
Forming Pie Crust:
- Use 3/4 of the dough for the bottom of the pie. Save the rest for edges.
- Spray pie pan with cooking spray.
- Add dough to the center of the pan. Start at the center, and spread the dough out with your fingertips.
- 2 Large Granny Smith Green Apples
- Cut apples into thin slices.
- Remove peel off of the apple slices. Save the peels for: salad toppers, a snack or smoothie. (I made a smoothie after making this pie. I will post the recipe, using these apple peels)
Flavoring Pie Filling:
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Baking Truvia (or Splenda)
Add cinnamon mixture to apples. Combine well.
Add apples evenly to the pie crust. Drizzle 1 tbsp of honey over the top of apple filling.
With the remaining dough, add it to the edges of crust. Pinch the dough together to stick with the bottom layer.
Bake pie for 20 minutes on 325 degrees.
Nutrition: 190 Calories, 2g Fat, 39g Carbs, 5g Fiber, 18g Sugar, 3g Protein
(Makes 10 Servings)
Of course, you can’t have apple pie without whip cream! I topped mine with 5 calorie Reddi Whip:)