Super Bowl Sunday Recap: Yummy Subs

IMG_5189

I was just about to post my Southport trip, but then remembered that I have yet to post the Superbowl Sunday recap! That is what happens when you let posts slip too far into the past.

IMG_5171

Nick and I rushed back from Asheville early Sunday morning so that we could stop at Party City and the grocery store to get ready for the Superbowl party he was hosting at his place.

He was making chili and cornbread and I decided to make fresh fruit and giant subs.

IMG_5141

I love making subs for parties because they’re easy to assemble and Β the perfect finger food.

The first sub had: american cheese, honey ham, turkey, garlic cream cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce.

The second sub: pepperjack cheese, american cheese, bacon, garlic cream cheese, roast beef, honey ham, smoked turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper, and mayo.

IMG_5156

Third & Most Favored Sub: mozzarella cheese, pepperjack cheese, salami, pepperoni, honey ham, and a special sauce.

Special sauce: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon minced onion, 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, sprinkle pepper and sea salt. Spread the sauce on the top later and bottom later of the bun.

IMG_5144

I made the subs several hours before the party and put them outside to stay cool. Grumples guarded them.

IMG_5149

About ten minutes before the party, I put the third sub in the oven for fifteen minutes.

IMG_5152

I cut all the subs for finger foods.

IMG_5154

The warm sub was definitely the favorite and lasted about fifteen minutes. I should have ran to the store to make two more!

IMG_5165

The special sauce and pepperoni is what made the sub addicting!

IMG_5168

I bought some pretty cool Super Bowl trays at Party City!

IMG_5169

Everyone brought something too!

IMG_5174

I cut up some pineapple, strawberries, melon, grapes, and watermelon for a fruit bowl!

IMG_5186

Our friend, Wes, made some awesome guacamole and it was hard to put down!

IMG_5188

Another one our friends made something pretty cool and unique. It was a caramel apple dessert tray. The bottom had a cheesecake type dip and onto was a caramel glaze and peanuts for dipping the apples into. I may have to come up with a healthy version for the blog and maybe try this idea with strawberries and chocolate!

IMG_5190

Ben and MC made incredible grilled wings, Nick’s chili and cornbread was awesome, and everyone else’s dishes were so perfect! It was an awesome Super Bowl party!

IMG_5194

During halftime, everyone sang happy birthday to me and then we had a chocolate cake that Nick bought! It was delicious!

IMG_5197

Mc made a brownie and pudding dish with peanut butter cup hearts on top! So freaking good!

IMG_5201

I loved the Katy Perry halftime show! What did you think of it?

IMG_5211

No one really had a dog in the fight and so we played a football square game. It’s five dollars a square. You win depending on the score at halftime and the final score of the game. I would have won if the Seahawks ran the ball instead of making the worst play call in the history of play calls.

IMG_5209

Joe and Alex ended up being the two winners.

I love getting together with friends for parties, especially the Super Bowl. What did you do Super Bowl sunday and what was your favorite commercial? Mine was the TurboTax one!

Comments

• Staci

Looks delicious! I’ll have to remember this for next year’s superbowl, because while the usual pizza and chips and dips are good, a delicious sub would feel more like “real” food instead of so much junk food. When is your birthday? Mine is Feb 1st and my husband’s is Feb 3rd, so 2 years ago the superbowl fell on his 30th birthday (he’s a huge Seahawks fan and they won that year), and last year it fell on my birthday and the Seahawks lost (very tragic), haha. This year it was more about the food, haha.

Reply to Staci
  • Lindsay

The warm sub looks awesome and easy! Definitely going to try this for Superbowl – thanks!! Question – in the pictures it looks to also have a crumbly white cheese on it that I don’t see in the ingredients? Or is that the mozzerella?

Reply to Lindsay
  • Kristin Todd

The warm sub looks amazing I am going to make that for a playoff party tomorrow…questions: What temp did you out it in the oven at and where can you buy such a huge sub roll?

Reply to Kristin Todd

The warm sub is SOOOOO SOOOO SOOOOO good!

I bought the sub roll in the deli/bakery section at the grocery store! Just put it at 350 degrees!

• Jim

Grumples! I.Love.it!

Reply to Jim
  • kami

didn’t know you had friends…

Reply to kami
  • Jessica

Those subs look sooooooooo good! I love the idea of putting garlic cream cheese on them instead of mayo!

Reply to Jessica
  • whit

OPEN YOUR OWN SHOP! I WANT THAT SUB IN MY MOUTH RIGHT MEOW!

Reply to whit
  • Alyson

Those look amazing wow! Way better than subway and your cake is just the cutest thing ever. I am so glad you are happy πŸ™‚

xx
    Aly

Reply to Alyson
  • Jill @ Champagne for Everyday

Wow, those subs are something else!! I’m not shocked the meat and cheese only one stole the show πŸ˜› My poor bf watched by himself at home and got fed spiralized veggies for dinner, since I am totally obsessed and on a kick..haha worst!

xx Jill

Reply to Jill @ Champagne for Everyday
  • Allie

Awesome! Those subs sound AMAZING and totally addicting!

Reply to Allie
  • Kate

My husband cheered for the Seahawks, while I cheered for the Patriots. Even still, we didn’t care that much about this year’s Super Bowl, especially after the whole “deflate-gate” scandal that was blown way out of proportion.
    We thoroughly enjoyed Katy Perry’s halftime show. I’ve never been a huge fan of hers, but we became minor “Katycats” after her appearance on College Gameday at The University of Mississippi. She is also now a member of the Ole Miss Alumni Association, as are we. Since I’ve seen you tweet negatively about Ole Miss a time or two, I’m surprised you like her.

Reply to Kate
  • Natalie

Wow those subs look super tasty Taralynn!
    Where do you come up with your ideas? Or do you just throw stuff together? Those rolls look yummy!

Do Nick & MC live together? I totally thought he still lived with his parents, it must be hard to stay away from their place with all Ralph’s good food though!

Reply to Natalie

lol no MC is Nick’s, Friend, Ben’s girlfriend:) Nick and I go to his parents a lot but he doesn’t live there.

The recipes usually are trial and error and throwing things all together!

• Sarah @ Sarah’s on the Run

Ummm, okay. Officially need the recipe for the brownie/pudding dish! πŸ™‚

Reply to Sarah @ Sarah's on the Run
  • Kristin C

I WILL being trying that special sauce ASAP!

I think my favorite commercial was still Budwieser. The puppies always win my heart πŸ˜‰

Speaking of puppies, Grumples is so good around food. My dogs would not be so well behaved, unfortunately.

Reply to Kristin C
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

That guacamole looks SO good! Nothing better than fresh avocados πŸ™‚

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out
  • Linda @ TheFitty

Subs ARE easy! I guess that’s why subway is so successful; easy to assemble and make and everyone enjoys them as. they can customize their own sandwhich to their Liking.

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty