I’m currently cuddled up on the couch with my dogs catching up on Married at First Sight and enjoying a hot cup of coffee. I went on a long walk this morning with my neighbor and not only did the weather require a warm sweater, but all of the trees around our neighborhood are turning red and orange! I absolutely love this time of year.
Before logging off for the weekend, I wanted to share one of my favorite fall breakfast recipes that my brother used to make every time he was home from college. If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you’re probably familiar with this recipe! It’s absolutely delicious and eating leftovers for a breakfast is one of my favorite parts about it. It’s quick to make and only requires a few ingredients. It’s crazy how vegetarian sausage is so close to the real thing. Sometimes, we’ll use turkey sausage, but I actually prefer the vegetarian one! I think it has a better flavor. For this recipe, all you need are sweet potatoes, vegetarian veggie sausage patties (I used the maple ones), an onion, bell peppers, eggs, maple syrup, sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, and olive oil. I start out by scrambling eight eggs and flavoring them with salt and pepper. Next, I chop up the onion, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. I add them to a large pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil and cook them over medium heat until they are softened and lightly brown. While the vegetables are cooking, I add the frozen sausage patties to the pan on medium heat with a few tablespoons of water. Once the patties are cooked, chop them up with your spatula and add half the maple syrup to them. Turn the heat to high for 30-seconds so the sausage caramelizes. Add the remaining syrup to the sautéed vegetables. Like the sausage, cook the vegetables for another 30-seconds on high to caramelize. Add the scrambled eggs, sausage, and vegetables into the same skillet and carefully fold together. Season with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
Vegetarian Maple Sausage & Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes Skinned and Chopped
- 1 Medium Red Onion Chopped
- 2 Medium Green Bell Peppers
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsps Olive Oil
- 2 Packages Morning Star Maple Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Scramble the eggs in a pan on medium heat. Flavor with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chopped sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and onion together in a pan with two tablespoons of olive oil until lightly brown and softened. Mix in half of the maple syrup and cook for 30-seconds on high to caramelize. *it helps to pre-steam the sweet potatoes first
- Cook frozen sausage patties in a pan on medium with two tablespoons of water. Chop the sausage with the spatula after they're thoroughly cooked. Add the remaining maple syrup to sausage and cook for 30-seconds on high to caramelize.
- Fold the eggs, vegetables, and sausage together in a pan. Flavor with sea salt, black pepper, and onion powder.
This recipe always reminds me of Thanksgiving back in Iowa when my brother used to travel home! I love a good nostalgic recipe 😊 I hope you all enjoy this! It’s a great dish to add to your weekend menu 😊
Questions for you!
- What did you have for breakfast this morning?
- Do you have any nostalgic recipes you make?
Leave a Reply