A successful day doesn’t mean you have to be “crushing it.”

Welcome to day seven of blogging 25 days in January! I tried to write this post yesterday but decided to shut off the computer and walk away. I reread what I wrote, and everything was just mumbo jumbo. I think blogging every day is great, but if you get burnt out, or having an off day, the words aren’t going to come out, which was happening to me. I’m two cups of coffee deep, watching It Takes Two on Netflix (oh, the nostalgia) and feeling better about writing today!

Before I post our travel blog from the weekend, I wanted to share a few eats from the past week! Plant-based January has been great so far, and the lack of cramps from my endometriosis, has me questioning if what my doctor said about eating plant-based had some truth to it. Who knows, but it’s something I’ll be doing more research on before talking about it.

I am going to take this post all the way back to last Wednesday. I took a break from blogging and had my homemade vegan gf enchiladas and leftover salad for lunch. Tonight, I’m going make the enchilada recipe with stuffed bell peppers instead of the tortilla.
I’ve been reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven this past week, and love it. When I finish the book, I’ll share my thoughts. While reading, I had a Kashi cinnamon gluten-free waffle with creamy peanut butter and a cappuccino.
Kyle and I headed to the gym together on Wednesday evening. I walked the treadmill while listening to a podcast, and then came home and had a quick dinner. I made a kale salad with avocado, tomatoes, coconut aminos, and balsamic. I had enchiladas on the side. Oh, and the Deer Park sparkling water is so good!

I was craving something savory for breakfast on Thursday morning, so I had the last of the enchiladas with avocado and Kite Hill.
After the gym on Thursday night, I made the sweet potato pizzas! Kyle and I are obsessed with these. I cooked sweet potato slices with pizza sauce, bell peppers, and Daiya cheese. I microwaved the sweet potatoes first to speed up the process.
On Friday morning, I had a strawberry banana protein shake. It had frozen strawberries, almond milk, ice frozen banana, and protein powder.
I spent Friday afternoon packing up my bags and cleaning up before we left for the trip. I had the most random lunch, but it was tasty! I had a Gardein black bean burger with chive Kite Hill cream cheese, white rice, and pineapples.
Whenever we go on road trips, I make protein bites to take with us. They are great snacks to keep in the hotel, or Kyle is hungry 24/7, so I call them “hangry bites.” They also make plant-based January easier while traveling. I mix 2 cups of oats, 1 cup of protein powder (chocolate or vanilla), 1/2 peanut butter, 1 cup of almond milk, and three tablespoons of chia seeds.
We left late on the trip, so I packed some food for dinner. I made a kale salad with coconut aminos, balsamic, avocado, peppers, and tomatoes. I also brought a Daiya burrito to throw in the microwave (don’t judge me.)
We got to the Wild Dunes Resort Hotel around 9 pm. I had my salad, some Chipotle chips, and guac, and fell asleep like a baby! I’ll blog all about the trip tomorrow! 😃
On Sunday night, I made this delicious vegan gluten-free mac and cheese! It’s delicious 😊 😋
I have a bag of shoes and about ten throw pilows to toss today!

It’s been eight days since I’ve last walked into a store (not even a grocery store.) I used to go into a store at least once or twice a week. If I had a lot on my plate or wanted to avoid things, I’d make a Target run just for the hell of it. I think they call it “retail therapy?” I’ve replaced the urge to shop with going through closets or drawers and tossing things out instead. Filling up the donation boxes with things I haven’t touched is a quick reminder of why I have no business shopping.

If you want to buy something, give yourself 24 hours to think it through. That’s what I’ve been doing, and I usually lose interest 24 hours later. I was watching a video on YouTube last night watching an apartment tour and fell in love with the barstools in the video. I sat on Wayfair staring at them, and if I weren’t doing the “no spend” challenge, I would have probably purchased them. Thinking back on it now, I’m SO GLAD I didn’t buy them, and all it took was a little time. Even if you aren’t doing the “no-spend” challenge, it’s a great rule to practice.
After my cup of coffee, yesterday morning, Kyle and I took the boys for a mile walk before he headed off to work. I poured another cup of coffee around 8 am and spent a few hours reading. There’s something about the morning sunlight shining through that makes me happy and calm. Today is going to be 70-degrees, so I plan on going for an hour walk after finishing up this blog.
For breakfast, I had a Kashi cinnamon waffle with almond butter on top and a matcha banana smoothie. My smoothie had a frozen banana, coconut milk, matcha powder, and vanilla plant protein.
It was so gorgeous outside yesterday, so I went out on a three-mile walk to get some fresh air. Not going to lie, I listened to the Betchelor Podcast while walking 😂 I just felt like having a slow day (non-productive), especially since I started my period. I read a quote the other day that said a successful day doesn’t mean you have to be “crushing it.” So true! We set the standards, which determines success. We don’t always have to be doing productive things in order to have a successful day.
For lunch, I had a Garden black bean burger, my vegan mac & cheese, and avocado! SOoooooooo good.
For dinner last night, We made sweet potato pizzas with Daiya cheese while watching the Bachelor! 😊 They’re delicious. Not going to lie, my Bachelor Fantasy bracket was on point! I scored a 160. So far, I like Cassie and Tayshia.

Well, I’m sorry for the messy post! I’m heading out on my walk, and I hope you enjoy your day! Come back tomorrow to read about our trip to the Isle of Palms! 🌴

Questions for you!

1. Are you watching The Bachelor?
  2. Which Podcasts should I listen to on my walks?
  3. Do you ever feel like you always have to be productive?

Comments

• Heather @ Polyglot Jot

How long do you microwave your sweet potatoes for before you bake them with the pizza ingredients? That’s a great pizza idea! Glad the new diet seems to be helping your cramps too! Those protein bites are calling me…I think i’ll be making those this afternoon. Jealous of your 70 degrees om January!! It’s currently icy and snowy and in the low 20’s here in PA.

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot

It all depends on the size of the sweet potato, but usually about two minutes! I don’t cook them all the way through, but definitely soften them a bit.

Hope you made those protein bites!! xo xo xo Stay warm, Heather!

• Brittany

Hi Taralynn! Just starting off by saying I love your blogs. You are really the only blogger I follow and have been doing so for many years (at least 5 now).

My mom and I are a Bachelor franchise fanatic. My favorite is paradise though. Funny story is that I went to ISU which is where Colton went and my friend actually knows his family. Kinda brings it back to home.

I love your picture in your room of your pup! How did you take it? My dog is gorgeous but I can’t ever get a really good picture that captures like you did (also doesn’t help that she looks away every time she sees the camera haha). Keep being great and thanks for all the great posts!

Reply to Brittany

Hi, Brittany!

Thank you so much! 😊 Just made my day.

Such a small world! So are you team Colton or no?? lol I was really upset they picked him, but I think I like him now! I didn’t like how they portrayed him on Beccas season with the whole Tia story.

My dogs are so weird and follow me around everywhere and it’s like they know the camera is on them lol Sometimes, you just gotta get the perfect candid without your dog knowing 😂

• Jessica Bower

I need to get some more of those waffles! SO yummy! loving all the plant based. Also I sooo love It Takes Two on Netflix! hahahah brings back the memories 🙂

Reply to Jessica Bower
  • Stacie

I am OBSESSEDDDD with the Bachelor franchise. I’ve seen every season of every show and spinoff. 😀

This is random, but I thought you mentioned recently a vitamin you take for hair growth, but I can’t find it in your posts. Am I making this up or did you? Thanks in advance!!

Reply to Stacie
  • Erin

Congrats on committing to the no-spend January and the plant-based January! I think these are both awesome, habit-building exercises and I hope you take what you learn through them into the rest of the year!
    Here is a really interesting article regarding your third question, all about millennial burnout:
    Thank you for not only allowing yourself a day when you didn’t have to be super productive, but also for sharing that with all of your followers!

Reply to Erin

Hi, Erin!

It’s been amazing so far. I think what surprises me most is how much I’m able to accomplish at home instead of running around everywhere trying to “buy things.” I’m getting more joy out of decluttering than purchasing! I’m loving it 🙂 I plan on doing this all year for sure!! Thank you for that article! Going to check that out. xo xo xo

• Erin

I’m reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven, too! Such an amazing book, so many parts of it have given me chills!

As for podcasts… I’m really loving:
    – Terrible, Thanks for Asking (A mix of heartbreaking and inspiring all in one)
    – Millennial (No longer an ongoing podcast but the archives are great)
    – Happier with Gretchen Rubin

What are your favorite podcasts? 🙂

Reply to Erin

Hi, Erin!

CHILLS FOR SURE!!

Thank you so much for those podcasts. I just wrote them down!

I like to listen to Off The Vine (bachelor lover) RISE by Rachel Hollis, Him & Her podcast, and SOMETIMES The Influencer Podcast (i like it, but take the tips with a grain of salt.)

• Lauren

I’m so glad you’re trying the plant-based diet for a month!!! And I hope it really does help your endometriosis. I don’t have endometriosis and I haven’t noticed any effect on my regular period cramps, but I do know that, having been plant based for two years, my body in general feels GREAT.

1. Nope…not watching Bachelor.
    2. Podcasts I’ve been loving: The Purpose Show, The Minimalists, and The Health Code.
    3. Yes, I’ve definitely often felt like I need to constantly be productive. That’s something God has been working on my heart about over the past four months because, being pregnant, my body has needed to rest (and outright sleep!) way more than it usually does. That’s been a challenge for me because I like crossing things off my to-do list, but God is teaching me the importance of intentional rest. 🙂

Reply to Lauren

Hi, Lauren!

Thank you for sharing that. I was completely blown away with how I felt during my period. Even my fifth-grade cramps were more excruciating than this month. I may keep up the same diet but add fish back into my diet and see how that goes.

Thanks for the podcast recommendations!

I can’t wait for this next chapter in your life. Crazy how fast time flies by!!!

• Tam

I’m looking forward to reading your post about the dunes resort. We are planning a trip there from Jersey this summer!

Reply to Tam
  • Gwen

I love this quote! I’ve been kind of using a similar one as my “mantra” lately, “you are worth so much more than your productivity.” I’ve been really digging deeper into how much we place productivity into self worth, and how I personally would like to change that. There’s so much pressure on people to do ALL the things, and it can definitely lead to a downward spiral of self doubt and negativity when you have an often much needed, less productive day. Thanks for blogging about this, it needs to be talked about more, especially among young woman 🙂

Reply to Gwen
  • Jennifer

Yes! I liked Miss Alabama and the girl in the white two piece. Those too really stood out, as well as the girl that got the first impression rose. (I never remember their names until like the final four LOL)

I don’t listen to many, and the only one I’ve ever listened to is Serial which was SO GOOD.

Yes! I struggle with that. Even if a have a rare day with nothing planned, I can’t just sit. I always have to be doing something. I need to learn to be more calm and not feel so antsy all the time!

P.s. I thought I would share this because you and anyone else might be interested! I’m taking that decluttering challenge SERIOUS for January. I ran into this series of capsule wardrobe posts from Erin at Cotton Stem and they are such a great guide to how to really clean out your closet and create a capsule wardrobe! I plan on *attempting* this this weekend!

Reply to Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer!

Hahaha, the only reason I remembered their names was because I got invested in the fantasy league! You should do it before the show. It’s fun lol

Yeah, we just crave distractions and sometimes just sitting still and surrounding yourself with your own thoughts is healthy 🙂

Thanks for sharing that!!

• Zoe

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this: ” We set the standards, which determines success. We don’t always have to be doing productive things in order to have a successful day. ”
    I am terrible about feeling down on myself if my day isn’t productive. I try to space out my chores, so I have something to do each day (I don’t schedule on my weekends though) and that way I don’t get overwhelmed or too behind on anything. But some days (or weeks!) I’m just not feeling it. And it’s hard not getting to mark things off my list.
    Thank you for that reminder!

Reply to Zoe

Hi, Zoe!

Glad you could relate with this! I love making lists in the morning and once everything on the list is completed, I use that time to RELAX or do things that I want. That helps me take a step back from trying to do everything at once!

xo xo xo

• Dana

Love the idea of sweet potato pizza! What do you consider a serving size?

Reply to Dana
  • Kacee

I work 16 hour days and even when I have down time I still like I should be “doing” something. I need to do a better job at slowing down in the moments I do have to relax.

On the “hangry bites” do you soak the chia seeds in the almond milk for a long time or just let them sit while you measure out the rest?

Thank you and always enjoy following your wisdom and adventures!

Kacee

Reply to Kacee

Hi, Kacee!

Yes, and that’s exactly what I mean. Working hard should always be a goal, but during the times when we aren’t supposed ot be working, it’s OK to just BE and not feel like we have to be doing things. ♥️

I let them soak for a bit, but only sometimes! It works either way.

xo xo xo

• Amanda

I love It Takes Two, well all of Mary Kate and Ashley movies. I always watched them as a kid. Now I’m going to look up all the Mary Kate and Ashley movies on Netflix.
    I have only watched a few seasons of The Bachelor but thinking about giving this season a try.
    I LOVE Scrubbing in with Becca Tilley and Tanya Rad. Seriously they make me laugh out loud.
    Yes and sometimes I’m like oh I’m gonna sit and watch TV but about 30 minutes in I’m up moving around doing something. This is why I’m not a good movie watcher. As always love your recaps!

Reply to Amanda

I wish they would put all the movies up!!

I think I watch it just because it’s something to look forward to on Monday nights lol

It’s so strange because I thought Becca was SO BORING during the Chris Soules season, and then once she left the show, she was a comeptley different person!! Crazy what they can edit on the show.

Thanks for reading, Amanda!!

• Jen

This blog posts reminds me of the quote: “Be patient with yourself, nothing in nature blooms all year.” You are wise to rest when you need to. Your readers understand.

Reply to Jen
  • Ann

SO jealous of the 70 degree weather you are having, because it’s 13 degrees here in Michigan! 😩
    As for podcasts, I listen to Gretchen Rubin’s Happier and Rachel Kable’s The Mindful Kind. Have a great week with all your pursuits!

Reply to Ann
  • Brittany

Aww Leo is the cutest <3 I am also glad to hear that your symptoms weren't bad (if at all)!! Hopefully eating a plant based diet is helping 🙂 and I can't wait to read about your weekend trip! I followed along through your Insta stories and it looked absolutely gorgeous there!

Reply to Brittany

Thanks so much, Brittany!

I’m a bit blown away because this is the second month in a row where everything has been so mild. It’s crazy to believe. I’m putting together all the photos now, and I’ll have it up soon! Hope you enjoy!

xo

• Jamie

I’m also doing plant-based January (and hopefully extending it long term). Unless you’re soy free, I’d love to see some tofu ideas! I’ve been wanting to try doing a “scramble” because I love scrambled eggs!

Reply to Jamie
  • Kristen

I am watching the bachelor right now! (Via Hulu, unsure about Colton)

I like to listen to podcasts on long drives, especially “straight up with stassi” she’s from vanderpump rules (guilty pleasure haha!)

I was on a “staycation” last week and was feeling down about being lazy! I felt like I had to always be doing something! But then I thought “this is my time to chill out”!!!

As always love your recaps :))

Reply to Kristen

I was unsure about Colton too, but he surprised me. I thought he was going to be really awkward and “Bro-ish” but there is a sensitive side to him that I kind of like. I think the Tia thing had me turned off from him. We’ll see!!

Writing those down!!

Love that you had that time to relax ♥️

• Kaitlin

Your blogs never cease to inspire and motivate me, thank you! Those sweet potato pizzas look amazing! I actually made your peanut butter cookies (these http://simplytaralynn.com/2017/08/24/healthier-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cookies/) Sunday and they turned out so yummy! I had to substitute for a few ingredients I didn’t have on hand, but they are delicious! Have a great week 🙂

Reply to Kaitlin
  • Brooklyn

A friend of mine has is starting a podcast and the first episode it out! It’s called The Good Vibe— if you’re interested!

I’m a sucker for all the bachelor/bachelorette shows. There have only been a few that I couldn’t watch. But I’m always down for the drama on the bachelor seasons!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Amy

Your smoothies look good. What blend do you use?

Reply to Amy
  • Breeanna

I LOVE It Takes Two & I also love all the other Mary Kate & Ashley movies! I had a huge VHS collection: the mystery series (adventures), Billboard Dad, To Grandmother’s House We Go, Double Double Toil & Trouble, Passport to Paris, Our Lips are Sealed…and the list goes on! Definitely nostalgia and a great stress reliever.

Anyway, I love your blog, photos, musings, recipes, etc. and I’m happy to see you’re having a productive and *successful* January. Wishing you more happiness and adventure! Can’t wait to make the vegan mac!

Reply to Breeanna

Hi, Breeanna!!

Hahaha I had them too! The crazy thing is that we ran into them at the Hilton in Honolulu while they were filming the mystery series. They thought my brother was so cute and their manager came over to ask my brother to go over to see them! I was so starstruck as at seven year old!! I think Netflix should release ALL of their movies! lol I’m almost 28 and still would watch them.

Thank you for all the kind words! Let me know what you think of the vegan mac!!

• Nichole

My daughter could sit all day and eat those waffles with almond butter. They are her favorite snack right now along side blueberries haha! We are doing “no spend” January, because some of our friends are also doing it (8 days in and I didn’t realize how often I stopped and bought coffee), but I’m definitely considering trying a plant based diet next month. (but the struggle is real when you’re preggo)

Reply to Nichole

Hi, Nicole!

They are so good 😊 It always helps to have friends also do the “no spend” with you! Great support.

It’s crazy how much I’ve actually gotten done around the house instead of escaping to go shop or head to the store. Plant-based meals are great, but definitely listen to your body and enjoy treating those cravings! ❤️

• Erin

I love seeing what you eat during the week! Thank you for posting.

Reply to Erin
  • Susie

I read that Mitch Albom book years ago and saw the TV-movie of it too. Enjoy!

Sweet potato pizzas sound good – will have to try! I’m following a vegetarian diet for now and these would be perfect for dinner.

Yes, I’m watching The Bachelor although I don’t really care for Colton. Sure, he’s good looking but he doesn’t do it for me, almost seems too feminine. But I like to watch the drama among the women so I will keep my eyes peeled – haha.

Podcasts I like are Conversations with Maria Menounos, The Fitnessista and Unsolved Murders/true crime (but can be a bit scary while out walking alone lol)

I like to be productive most of the time, but I’ve learned to allow myself some down time. I love the message that a successful day doesn’t have to be perfect!

Reply to Susie

Thanks, Susie! Kyle’s mom got it for me and she always has the best book recommendations!

Yes, they are so tasty!!! You’ll have to let me know what you think of them. Hahaha, I didn’t like Colton at first, but I think he has a really sensitive side that’s hard to find nowadays. He’s growing on me! I think Tia kind of ruined his reputation. It’s like she’s tattooed on his name. But, him running away in the preview was hilarious!!!

LOVE the True Crime podcasts. My best friend got me hooked on them.

xo xo xo

• Dana

I started getting rid of my “extra stuff” 2 years ago during an expected move and I’m still donating/selling/throwing away!
    I’ve been hooked on Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix. It’s so soothing and I like how she treats the clients with such kindness. I thought I’d find it strange when she greets the home the first time I saw her do it, but I find it very moving now and I get teary-eyed.

Reply to Dana

I can’t wait to watch that tonight! I’ve had it on my list 😊 It feels so good to get rid of things without inviting new things in and I hope I’m doing this for the next 2 years! Thanks for the motivation.

• kiera stachowiak

It Takes Two is on Netflix??? That was my favorite movie ever when I was little! “That can’t eat, can’t sleep, reach for the stars over the fence world series kind of love.” UGH so good!!

You’ve inspired me so much with this no spend challenge and so far I’m doing great!! I can’t wait to make the vegan mac and cheeze, I’ve been looking for a good recipe and this is just calling my name

Reply to kiera stachowiak

YUP!! I loved loved loved that movie and every other Mary Kate & Ashley movie when I was a little girl!! BEST QUOTE EVER!

So happy you’re doing awesome with the no spend challenge!!

• Lauren

I am addicted to Canadian True Crime podcast. It is so good!

Reply to Lauren
  • Shannen

Ooh, sweet potato pizzas sound good!

As for podcasts, I’ve really been loving RISE by Rachel Hollis, SHE by Jordan Dooley, and Jenna Kutcher’s podcast.

Reply to Shannen
  • Alaina

I love listening to podcasts while walking, cleaning, cooking, or relaxing while flipping through a magazine! I vary in what I listen to depending on my mood, yet some of my favorites include Healthy in Real Life (healthy living), The Sporkful (food history), The Skinny Confidential Him & Her (husband/wife with various topics) and Trader Joe’s (Inside), which is the insider edition of what’s new with TJs. I’d love to hear what some of your favorites are!

Reply to Alaina
  • Kiley

I’m watching The Bachelor tonight, super excited!! I love the recap podcast “Bachelor Party” with Juliet Litman. Besides bachelor podcasts though, I love This American Life, Strangers, Terrible thanks for asking, The Moth, Criminal, and Dirty John was awesome!! I’m always looking for new podcasts for long walks.

I do feel like I always have to be productive and sometimes I hate that. For example I always feel really guilty if I spend too much time relaxing on the weekends, but then I feel like I didn’t get enough time to recharge if I’m constantly doing chores and running errands. Sometimes it feels like a no win situation. Having a few main things that need to get done spaced out within a couple days usually helps me with balance but it’s easier said than done to achieve.

Reply to Kiley

Haha I listen to that one too!! Thanks for the other suggestions they sound amazing!! Just wrote them all down 😀

You should try making lists in the morning, accomplishing everything on your list, and then taking the rest of your time to relax. You’ll feel like you did everything you were supposed to and it’ll make relaxing so much more enjoyable! ♥️

• Jenna

We cut cable, so I can’t. But I’m not really into the bachelor anyways.

As for podcasts, I have no clue lol. I’ve only listened to a few.

I actually don’t feel like I always have to be productive, it’s nice to be able to just be lazy sometimes!

Reply to Jenna
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Thank you for this post, Taralynn. I needed it! Sometimes doing our best is enough. 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Katie

I have always watched The Bachelor…basically since I was in middle school lol. I didn’t do a fantasy bracket but my top 4 picks are Cassie, Hannah G, Alex B and Katie. It’s just such a guilty pleasure of mine (along with the Challenge) and I just can never get enough of it.

Podcasts….I usually listen to Challenge Mania, Reality Steve (depending on the guest) or Off the Vine.

I absolutely hate just sitting around and feel like I should always be doing something. However, I just had skin removal surgery on my stomach last month and it definitely made me realize that I need to take it slower and relax some days.

Reply to Katie

Haha, I love the challenge too!

Love all three of those podcasts!!! Can’t believe Shawn and Kaitlyn split 😢

Hope you’re recovering! xo xo xo

• Katie Aspin

I know! They were definitely my favorite couple and I’d have to say she is probably my favorite girl to come out of the show. Apparently she is going on a date with Jason so good for her.

Thank you!