Happy Sunday & day six of blogging 25 days in January!! I was going to take one of my free passes tonight and work on our weekend travel blog, but then I made this crazy delicious gluten-free vegan mac & cheese for dinner, and I could not contain my excitement. I wanted to share it with you all ASAP. We got home from our little trip this afternoon, and the weather was unbelievable. We took the pups for a super long walk, caught up on laundry from the trip, and now I’m ready to sit down and write while Kyle watches his Eagles game. I have been craving mac and cheese for a week. I thought I’d attempt to make a vegan version and had no expectations of it tasting nearly as good as it did. The best part is how easy it is to make, and it was ready to eat in 35-minutes. You could probably pass this off as actual cheese if you tried. Kyle’s response was “are you sure it’s dairy-free?” He couldn’t believe it. This is a great meal prep recipe for the week! It makes the perfect side dish and is packed with hidden nutrients and tons of fiber. I’m sorry for the poor quality of photos, but I didn’t expect to share the recipe yet! Hopefully, these iPhone photos will make do 😊
The sauce is made with roasted butternut squash, Earth Balance vegan butter, Kite-Hill Chive Cream Cheese, and cashew milk. I flavored the creamy sauce with garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. OOOOOHH man is it good. Next time, I’m going to blend some roasted garlic in with the sauce because I’m a giant garlic-lover.
Putting cheese on broccoli was the only way my mom could get me to nibble on the stuff. Now, I’ll eat broccoli all day if I had to, but it does taste better with cheese. I loved the idea of adding broccoli in with the macaroni because it adds more nutrients and fiber.
First, I roasted a small butternut squash in the oven until it was soft. I diced up the butternut squash and added it to the blender with “cream cheese,” cashew milk, and “butter.” It created the perfect creamy cheese texture. Even the color was spot on!
I used Banza Chickpea Pasta for the macaroni, but you can use your choice of pasta!
I poured the cheese on top of the pasta and added in the salt, garlic, onion, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Give it a taste test to make sure it’s flavored to your preference.
The broccoli is optional, but I highly recommend it!🧀 🥦 This recipe couldn’t get any easier!
The Creamiest Vegan Mac N Cheese + Gluten Free
- 1 Small Butternut Squash
- 1/3 Cup Kite-Hill Chive Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Cashew Milk (or any choice of d/f milk)
- 2 1/2 Tbsps Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- 4 Tbsps Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Steamed Broccoli
- 1 Box Chickpea Banza Pasta
- You can roast or steam your butternut squash. I baked the butternut squash in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Add roasted butternut squash, cashew milk, butter, and cream cheese to the blender and blend on high.
- Pour the cheese mixture over your cooked pasta. Mix well and add in the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, and Nutritional yeast. Do a taste test to make sure it's seasoned to your preference
- Mix in broccoli (optional!)
Questions for you!
- Have you ever made vegan mac and cheese?
- Did you have to have cheese on everything as a kid?
- How was your weekend?