Good Morning, & Happy Friday!
I wanted to stop and blog a recipe I made last weekend before my crazy day starts. I have so much going on today/this weekend. More about that Monday (in the recap post.) I’ve been eating a delicious crockpot soup all week long. There’s nothing better than warming up to a delicious soup at the end of the night, especially a healthy one that is filled with protein and vegetables. I was excited to break out the crockpot because it had been way too hot to even think about soup the past four months. Now, the evenings and mornings are in the low fifties! Finally.
For the past four years, I’ve been making vegetable soup. My minestrone has been a favorite on the blog, and I still receive photos from people who have been making it. That always makes me happy to see! Today’s recipe is similar, but it has the addition of butternut squash, chicken, and more spices! I think this one is my favorite so far. Who doesn’t love a healthy soup that you can have multiple bowls of without all the guilt?
Leo was feeling extra cozy while I chopped vegetables in the kitchen. This is his favorite spot to sit and watch me. We call it his “begging” platform.
Crockpot Vegetable Chicken Soup With Butternut Squash & Beans!
- 1.5 pounds Boneless/SkinLess Chicken Breast
- 32 ounces Organic Chicken Broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 2 cups butternut squash diced
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large summer squash
- 1 cup fresh green beans chopped
- 3 tbsps minced garlic
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 can tri-blend beans
- 1 cup peas
- 1 can (14 ounce) diced Italian style tomatoes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chives
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tbsp hot sauce optional
- Prepare your vegetables! Chop the onion, celery, bell peppers, squash, green beans, celery.
- Add vegetables to the crockpot with the chicken broth. Turn pot to high.
- Drain the canned peas and beans. Add them to the crockpot.
- Add the undrained can of tomatoes to the crockpot.
- Add in all of the seasonings and minced garlic.
- Let the soup cook for five hours on high. Stir every hour or two to allow the soup to cook evenly.
- Dice chicken, Add the chicken to a pot of boiling water. Boil chicken until semi-cooked. Drain, and add semi-cooked chicken to the crockpot. **Boiling the chicken first makes the soup less "fatty" - Tip from grandma!
- Cook soup on high for another three hours. *you don't want to add the chicken in too soon, or it'll become overcooked and dry.
- Once the soup is done, give it a taste test and determine if it needs more seasonings! I always end up adding extra splashes of garlic, salt, or pepper!
- Turn the pot to warm. Serve! I stored some in the freezer and some in the fridge! It's even better the next day.
I love this soup because you can find these ingredients almost all winter long at nearly any grocery store around you! This soup is so flavorful! You’ll have to bring out your inner chef and use your taste buds to make it fit your standards. Some people like more garlic, or less! More spice, or no spice! Have fun and play with it. Add potatoes! Pasta! Or anything extra!
The great thing about this crockpot soup is that you can prepare it in the morning, and have it ready by evening. My favorite part? Freezing the leftovers for meal prep! Perfect for the nights I don’t feel like cooking.
I use the Bella Dots Collection Crock Pot. It comes in differnt colors. I had the teal one years ago…but there is a story with why that one is long gone…(long story short…a certain someone thought that you were supposed to put the crockpot on the stove top to heat it up. Yup, they literally put it over the burner…)
I always take Kyle’s meal prepping containers. They are reusable, washer safe, microwave safe, and so freaking convenient! You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon! This is a pack of 20 for under $20. Link here.
I found these Pumpkin Spice Sweet Potato Chips at the grocery store, and I thought it would be fun to add them to the soup! There is nothing better than adding a little sweet to your savory meals. I usually add croutons, but this looked so fun! & Holy moly, what a tasty addition! By the way, these Terra chips are incredible!
I loved the chunky butternut squash in the soup. I think next time I’ll add even more. It brings to much “fall” to the dish, and I love the potato-like texture.
The soup is perfect by itself, or paired with a salad! Soup & salad are pretty much BFFS.
Makes 24 Servings (1 1/4 cup size)
Nutrition Per Serving
75 Calories, 9g Protein, 2g Fat, 9g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 1g Sugar, 266 mg Sodium
This soup is gluten free, dairy free, nut free!
Want to make it vegetarian/vegan? Use vegetable broth! Omit the chicken & add tofu!
Questions for you!
- Have you made anything in the crockpot this Fall yet?
- What soup would you like me to make next?
- Important Question: WHICH CANDY SHOULD I HAND OUT THIS YEAR? (and don’t say pretzels. 😉
BY THE WAY, THE COFFEE GIVEAWAY ENDS TONIGHT!!!! (12 AM WEST COAST TIME)