Coming Home: Last Days In D.C.

IMG_8543

I’m sad that I’m leaving D.C.; I’m going to miss Kona’s little face, exploring the gorgeous city, being around my brother and Karlee and the treadmill I bonded with. But, I get to go home to Mr. Grumples, my friends, and I have a fun mountain weekend coming up.

It’s going to be pretty rainy and gross out today, so hopefully the drive goes smoothly.

lllPicMonkey Collage

We all sat up on the rooftop Saturday night and had wine, brie with wheat crackers, honey, and dried cranberries, and my light 60 calories brown crisp treats.

We called it a night after 9:30 and I was in bed by ten!

llPicMonkey Collage

Sunday, I watched the Lions lose while running the treadmill. I don’t know what the “weight” is set to on this treadmill, so the calories are not accurate.

IMG_8550

After my run, Karlee and I walked to King Street to grab coffee at Misha’s.  When I saw these little wild flowers in the alley, I had to use them in my photo 🙂

IMG_8551

I ordered their pumpkin spiced latte with skim milk and a Cardamon Date Kate bakes Bar. Those are literally the most delicious bars ever. I had it last time I was in D.C. and I’m about to order an entire box for my place.

12177703_934955999884310_466307977_n

We walked past the Sugar Cube shop in Old Town Alexandria. In the window, there were about 20 jars of different flavored fruit slices. I felt like Charlie staring in the window at the candy shop. Fruit slices have been my favorite since I was a kid. When Karlee said she had never had them before, I was shocked! We went into the shop and I grabbed some for us to try. I bought the watermelon, mango jalapeño, and the pineapple guava. Karlee is now a new fan of the candy slices.

IMG_8566

Old Town felt like Halloween town. Everyone was dressed up with their furry friends and Halloween decorations were everywhere.

IMG_8567

We walked back and then hopped in the car to pick up Kona from doggy day care. It was so rainy earlier in the morning, and the he had so much energy, so I took him to play with his buddies for the day.

We picked up Potbelly’s for dinner on the way back.

IMG_8574

After giving Kona a bath and an awesome blow out,(He’s literally the only dog I know that genuinely loves baths and the blowdryer. He’ll sit in the tub randomly during the day) I had my favorite salad ever! It’s not really my favorite salad ever, but it is my favorite salad from a fast food place. Their fat free vinaigrette is out of this world.

I get the chickpea veggie salad with feta, croutons, cucumber, tomatoes (picked off), chickpeas, and lettuce. Their salads are ginormous.

Kona and I watched the Panthers vs. Eagles and the Cowboys vs. Giants play, then fell asleep.

llllPicMonkey Collage

I decided to go up on the rooftop and catch the sunrise Monday morning. I bundled up, grabbed my camera, coffee, and Kona. We were on a sunrise mission.

IMG_8579

Waking up early is beautiful.

IMG_8592

The wind was blowing and my hands were about frozen off, but it was worth every minute.

IMG_8599

Kona also loved the view.

IMG_8609

I loved watching the planes appear through the clouds and disappear as they landed.

IMG_8626

After our rooftop time, we headed down for a walk. When you’re up there, the skies are so colorful and once you’re back on ground level, the skies are just plain blue. Crazy what is out there that we can’t actually see, unless we go out of our way to find it.

lllllPicMonkey Collage

Karlee and I headed to King Street to shop. I needed and outfit for a wedding dinner rehearsal and the wedding. Luckily, I scored with a really cute outfit under $100 (I’ll blog soon).

As we were walking, a man asked for money for food. I didn’t have any cash on me, so I just went into Whole Foods and grabbed him a giant Italian sub. He was very happy. Sometimes, you have to stop and thank the Lord for the life you’ve been given because it could be so much worse.

14vtylw

It takes one minute to do something nice for someone. It’s easier to walk away and forget about them, but one little kind act can change someone’s entire day. Even if it’s something as simple as a sandwich.

I’m sharing and posting this to inspire you guys to do something nice for someone else.

IMG_8693 IMG_8696

After picking up my outfit, we were hungry for lunch. We walked down towards the water.

IMG_8698

It took us extra time because I had to take pictures of everything.

IMG_8703 IMG_8733

That is what fall is all about.

IMG_8648

One of my readers left a comment about trying out Jackson 20, so we decided to have lunch there.

IMG_8641

Coffee first.

IMG_8643

I decided to go with the build your own salad on their lunch menu. My cute little ceramic tray had romaine lettuce with salmon, quinoa salad, cucumber dill salad, and broccoli salad. Their salmon was cooked perfectly; just the way I like it.

IMG_8647

I really liked this place. The atmosphere was fun and reminded me a lot of Nan & Byron’s (my favorite Charlotte spot). The staff was super friendly and the manager came out to check up on us a couple of times. They genuinely cared about our dining experience. I’m sad I can’t try breakfast there…maybe next time!

IMG_8650

We stopped into Kilwin’s to check the place out. We always walk by it and couldn’t take the curiosity anymore.

IMG_8651

They asked us if we’d like to sample fudge…of course!

I tried out the toasted coconut and pumpkin walnut. HOLY FUDGE! YUM!

The toasted coconut was my favorite and I ended up going back in yesterday to grab tons of flavors for my family and Nick’s parents (who are coconut lovers). My dad will LOVE the pumpkin walnut.

IMG_8652

They also make jumbo caramel apples. Talk about fall <3

lPicMonkey Collage

They also had festive fall flavored ice cream.

IMG_8657

Karlee ordered the apple pie ice cream and I had a bite of it. It was incredible. This blows all the ice cream I’ve ever tried on king street out of the water. It had that homemade taste and ice melt texture.

IMG_8662

Plus it was photogenic.

I wanted to try the pumpkin, but I was fighting a stomach ache.

IMG_8663

We decided to walk around a little bit more and explore the shops. It would take an entire year to explore every single shop down here.

IMG_8668

I found these at a little gift shop and thought they were the coolest. Their soap balls made from lama wool. They smell so good and they look cute. Karlee and I must have been living under a rock because apparently these are a thing…

IMG_8671

Then we walked back and I had to take pictures of like 139435783045 doorsteps.

IMG_8673

If you go to old town, make sure you walk on all the side streets. They’ll take your breath away.

IMG_8675

If fall is this festive here, I can’t imagine what Christmas will be like.

IMG_8676 IMG_8679 IMG_8680

Beautiful mums <3

IMG_8681

Gorgeous cobblestones.

IMG_8685 IMG_8690

Gotta love the pumpkins with warts…

IMG_8689

9 out of 10 of the town homes had fall decorations.
IMG_8704IMG_8707 IMG_8708 IMG_8709 IMG_8715 IMG_8717 IMG_8720 IMG_8723 IMG_8725 IMG_8728 IMG_8730 IMG_8736 IMG_8740 IMG_8747

I felt like Spring never left and joined fall.

IMG_8748 IMG_8750 IMG_8749

That tree was crazy looking!

IMG_8752

That was one of the most beautiful walks I’ve ever taken. I wasn’t feeling too great when I got back, so I ended up relaxing the rest of the day and then watching Dancing With The Stars.

lllPicMonkey Collage

I had a horrible headache yesterday, so I skipped out on running and decided to just do weights and strength training for 30 minutes.

I’m going to miss these two redheads.

llPicMonkey Collage

I headed to Alexandria cupcake to picked up some for the family. I chose one of every flavor.

lPicMonkey Collage

I also stopped at Blueprint Chocolatiers. It’s an adorable little shop on the corner. It has unique chocolate and espresso drinks. The chocolatier talked to us for a while and let us know all about the flavors. She had some fun seasonal ones and they were beautiful crafted. You could tell she loved what she does!

I bought a pack of six with different flavors. Karlee and I tried the seasonal flavor while we were there. It was made with maple rye whisky from Gimli, Canada, milk & dark chocolate with a pinch of smoked sea salt. (YUM)

Talk with you guys soon!

IMG_8849 IMG_8886

Comments

• sophie

I simply love your blog 🙂

Reply to sophie
  • Kristin C

Oh wow! I didn’t realize Kilwins was a chain. They have them in Asheville too!
    I’m jealous of your DC adventure! It looks awesome!

Reply to Kristin C
  • Kristjana

I got so excited that the maple rye whiskey was from Gimli! I’m from Manitoba and its so cool that something from my province was mentioned on the blog, and is being used in DC! Your pictures are all so pretty, and I’ll miss seeing Kona too!

Reply to Kristjana

Thank you Krisjana! (gorgeous name btw)

That chocolate was out of this world! SO thank you Gimli! 🙂 I’ll have to post some Kona updates and hopefully I’ll get to watch him again soon:) xo

• Sarah

Your photos are beautiful! I love fall colors!

Reply to Sarah
  • Kelsey

I too was on the treadmill watching the game.. I had a better day than you tho 😉 go Vikings!! ??

Reply to Kelsey
  • Kim

So I was in Alexandria again the other day and I have some recommendations you should check out next time! You should tour Christ Church and the Apothecary Museum. Tons of history and it was really cool.

We ate lunch at Virtue Feed and Grain. The quinoa salad was amazing. My friends had the burger and said it was great too 🙂 the atmosphere was great and the food was very fresh and largely locally sourced. Try next time for sure 🙂

Also Misha’s has the cutest menu. I love it.

Reply to Kim
  • Melanie

Beautiful photos Taralynn! I want to visit D.C. and now I know to go in the fall.. It looks so pretty!

Wasn’t DWST awesome on Monday night?! I love the Halloween themed dances. I was bummed Hayes went home, but everyone left is so good! It will be interesting to see what happens next week 🙂

Reply to Melanie
  • Nicole

Gah, I have lived in Arlington for 3+ years and never knew there was a Kilwins in Old Town!! Good for my waistline, but my Kilwins obsession has missed out. It’s the BEST!

Reply to Nicole
  • Alyssa

Love seeing all these beautiful falll photos!! What do you use to edit them?! Im apologize if you have answered this before! LOL and i am going to have to try a PSL with skim milk, i’ve never had one because they have so many calories!!

Reply to Alyssa

Thank you Alyssa. Do a PSL with skim milk and ask for just one pump. I think they add WAYYYY too many. 🙂 I just use pic monkey! I add a little saturation and change the lighting 🙂

• Tayna

The D.C. newspaper or Alexandria paper should use your photos! Exquisite.

Reply to Tayna
  • Sharni

I love all the pumpkins people have left out on their stoops. I live in Australia and we don’t really celebrate Halloween 🙁 (it’s spring here at the moment). I’m the only person I know who has decorated their whole house in pumpkin EVERYTHING! The streets there just look magical.

Reply to Sharni

I learned that off of Dancing With The Stars the other night. Bendi Erwin mentioned it! When I was in France last year, they didn’t celebrate either! You can always come to the states to celebrate:: I do LOVE that you celebrate anyways though! You sound like so much fun.

xo

• Hannah

OH MY GOSH! I’m a little obsessed with this town! I want to visit now!!!

Reply to Hannah
  • Allie

Where did you get your brown booties Tara? I love them! 🙂

Reply to Allie

Simple acts of kindness certainly make the world go round.

• Tara

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!! I’m sure it will be nice to get home. Hope you have a fun Halloween!

Reply to Tara
  • Sarisha

The pictures you take are amazing and so so beautiful. You capture all of the colors so well. Glad you’ve enjoyed your time in DC – I always love visiting family there. Wishing you safe travels back home.

Reply to Sarisha
  • Hillarie Davis

One day I will go to Maine and DC just to see what you have shared via your camera lens. Love it!

Reply to Hillarie Davis
  • Shalyn

Excellent photos! You made me want to go visit. Have a great trip back and be safe!

Reply to Shalyn
  • Jenn

I love Potbelly’s dressing, too! The brand they use is Hendrickson’s Original Sweet Olive Oil and Vinegar. They carry it at my grocery store so now I don’t have to splurge on Potbelly everytime a craving strikes!

Reply to Jenn

It’s seriously the best! You just made my day…I have been looking for “duplicate” recipes of that dressing for years! I am literally going to order a gallon of that stuff! This is amazing! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

• Shannon

Oh my goodness we have a Kilwin’s in Fort Collins and it looks exactly the same! My mom loves their chocolates I send them for Christmas every year 🙂 I had no idea there was more than one!

Reply to Shannon

I saw that they had several locations. MAYBE they’ll get one in Charlotte 😉

Their chocolates looked so good and super cute for fall. Their fudge is literally out of this world, it’s a must try!!

• Anonymous

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Reply to Anonymous
  • Emily B

You are KILLING me with all of these gorgeous pictures! I was in DC/Old Town Alexandria in August and I just loved walking around Alexandria. Such a beautiful part of the DC area.

Reply to Emily B
  • Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life

Your pictures are seriously so gorgeous. Makes me want to visit! Love love love these posts <3

Reply to Lindsay @ A Runnaroundd Life
  • Kara B

If you are interested in Old Town at Christmas time, I suggest their “Scottish Christmas Walk” parade! Tons of doggies participate and observe. Very small-town cute and festive.

Reply to Kara B
  • Allison

Gorgeous photos! Who is your favorite front runner for Dancing with the Stars? I was surprised Hayes went this week!

Reply to Allison

Thank you Allison!

You know, it’s weird! Every season I have a favorite couple, but I’m pulling for all of them. I think they’re all really good contenders. I think Bendie and Derrick have been flawless consecutively. I was also surprised he went home. I though they were really good and he improved each week. Their dances were always really creative.