Wednesday Workout: Hiking & Fitness Fuel

11068827_833330443380200_1990283911_n

I can’t get enough of this weather. It’s been in the mid seventies and sunny this week. It’s pushed me out the door and into being more active. My trainer was sick yesterday and so instead of skipping my workout, I decided to go for a hike at Crowder’s mountain. I woke up around 5:30 so I could have breakfast, drink coffee, and watch the news before heading that way. I wanted to hike before the other hikers made their way up.

11032915_1414324278879669_920261642_n

For breakfast, I had a whole wheat english muffin, non fat yogurt, and fresh fruit.

11047211_833330523380192_95633922_n 11047222_833330926713485_572676891_n

It was about a thirty minute drive to Crowders and about an hour hike up to the top. I love hiking because it makes your heart rate go up and down.

11005161_1555300368062508_7744563_n

I decided to go one more mile up the mountain instead of just stopping at the Pinnacle point. So it was 3.5 miles up and 3.5 miles down.

11026530_833330550046856_1477852946_n 11039429_833331986713379_1716611934_n

I had a quest bar and some almonds at the top for some quick energy.

11040307_833331523380092_1423148572_n

Hiking has become one of my favorite workouts. I love being outdoors and getting fresh air as much as possible. It’s a great escape from running and a nice break from working inside on the computer.

11015759_833330716713506_720128881_n 11063138_833331236713454_185219838_n

I made it there early and only ran into two hikers. I’m trying to force myself to do something active for an hour a day no matter what it is. This entire winter, I cut back on workouts, slacked on eating healthy, and wasn’t myself. The beautiful part about life is that we can change what we don’t like and everyday is a new chance to make things better.

11039417_833332056713372_1819803953_n

When I got home, I made a quick lunch. I had salad, with cheese, tomatoes, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

10525063_833332183380026_504801813_n

For my protein, I made a shake with 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 banana, ice, and cashew milk.

11041433_833332340046677_952152593_n

For dinner, I had grilled chicken, a side salad, peas and a mashed red potato!

Comments

• Kristin C

Being from just outside of Asheville, I live in a prime hiking area, but unfortunately, hiking hurts my hip injury.
    I’m hoping to hike with a friend a little more this summer, but I have to be very careful.

Reply to Kristin C
  • Katy

Hi Taralynn,
    I’m a big fan of your blog and have been for the past 3 years. Your posts are always so vibrant and I love how you include images making your posts so easy and enjoyable to read. I have to say though, anything that is labeled ‘low fat’, ‘low calorie’ or ‘high fiber’ is something that definitely should be avoided if you’re looking to eat cleaner. Low fat pretty much means high sugar. These foods are so highly processed and provide very little nutritional benefits. Full fat, whole food ingredients is the way to go. Just something to look into and research if you’re interested 🙂

Reply to Katy
  • abby

I’ve loved you and your blog since day 1. You have such an incredible journey/life and are truly beautiful inside and out. You’ve inspired me to shake off these ugly winter blues and do my workout outside tomorrow! Oh and your leggings are literally goals.. LOVE those floral ones.

Reply to abby
  • Amber Anna

This looks like a great workout! I wish we had mountains here – hiking is a wonderful way to help both body and mind.

Reply to Amber Anna
  • Laura

Hi Taralynn! I love following your blog and although I don’t comment much I wanted to let you know you look so healthy and beautiful! Don’t let any negative comments make you think otherwise. I enjoy reading your blog when you have attainable workouts and healthy balanced meals like this post. I absolutely love hiking as well!

Reply to Laura
  • Liv @ Healthy Liv

I love workouts that don’t feel so much like exercise, like hiking! An active hour per day is such a great way to think of it rather than having to exercise.

Reply to Liv @ Healthy Liv
  • Danielle L

Ahhh i hiked Crowder’s last January and i did a 4 mile trail and oh boy i was sore for a week after! It was great though and I plan to hike more this summer!

Reply to Danielle L

Looks awesome, Tara. Trail mix is awesome because its a light snack to carry around.

• Luciana

Could you do a post about what warming up moves to make before a work out please? Specially before a jog o a run. I also love to take at least a day a month to hike on the hills outside city 🙂 🙂

Reply to Luciana
  • Melanie

Looks like fun! I’ve never been hiking before, but I hope to go sometime this summer. I need to find a good trail in Michigan. 🙂
    Being outside makes working out so much more enjoyable!

Reply to Melanie
  • Kimberly || Life Alluring ❤

Hiking is one of my favorite ways of being active too. There is something about being out in nature that just makes you feel so good!

Reply to Kimberly || Life Alluring ❤
  • Betsie

everything looks soooooooo good! u seem like a diet expert – i want to loose weight for spring break! how many calories do u eat a day? is 1000 enough for me?

Reply to Betsie

Thank you!

I am definitely not a diet expert. (far from it) You should talk to a nutritionist or personal trainer for some tips on how to lose weight and what works best for you. 1000 calories isn’t enough for anyone. Talk to a doctor/dietitian to come up with a weight loss plan for yourself. Also, try not to focus on losing weight for a certain event, strive to obtain a healthy lifestyle. Dieting never works.

• Cassie

That looks like so much fun!

Reply to Cassie