Capturing the Sunset: Folly Beach, SC

IMG_4307

I was sitting on the couch reading a book, my dad was playing golf game, and my mom was in the kitchen cooking pizza. I had the sudden urge to get up and go catch the sunset on Folly beach. I made my dad go with me.

IMG_4309

It was about a ten minute drive and luckily I found a parking spot right next to the path leading to the beach. That rarely happens

IMG_4312

The sun was just starting to set and it was getting pretty cold and windy, but I’ll tough anything out for a good picture.

IMG_4313

There was a couple hanging in a hammock under the Folly Beach pier. They were adorable and put so much character into my photos.

IMG_4322 IMG_4323

If you ever to go Folly Beach, you must go under the Pier and take a photo. It’s tradition.

IMG_4324

Luckily I had a zoom on the camera and wasn’t close enough to creep them out.

IMG_4325

But seriously. Adorable. (Not sure about those socks though)

IMG_4337

I love that beaches still have the old telescopes. It gives the pier a vintage feel, or maybe it’s just the filter.

IMG_4347

I nearly burnt my eyeballs taking photos of the sun. I couldn’t see for like an hour after taking photos and I know that can’t be healthy.

IMG_4352

The beach was pretty clear, but the silhouettes of the beach walkers made me happy.

IMG_4357

You have our standard couple walking the beach, lady and dog, and random man.

IMG_4359 IMG_4361

I went up on the Pier to take photos next. Boy was it cold up there!

IMG_4367

The view was worth it.

IMG_4370

The sound of the waves were so tranquil and therapeutic.

IMG_4379

I felt bad for my dad because he wore shorts and by the time we were at the end of the Pier, his legs were numb. We went from freezing to feeling absolutely nothing.

IMG_4381

There wer a lot of fisherman out on the pier too.

IMG_4386

I’m used to seeing seagulls by the sea, but never black birds. I thought it was kind of Β neat. And then The Beatle’s song got stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

IMG_4387

It feels like forever waiting for the sun to set, but once it sets, it goes down faster than the blink of an eye.

IMG_4390

It starting getting even colder and so we walked back towards the shore.

IMG_4392

More birds flocked towards the Pier. I think they enjoy the sunset as much as I do.

IMG_4396

I took the flash off the camera and picked up the natural color of the sky

IMG_4401

This is an untouched photo. I just want to jump back into the moment.

IMG_4413

Do you think if you lived on the beach, you’d ever get sick of it? I don’t think I could.

IMG_4415

My dad took me on the back routes home and we went down stress with all the gorgeous trees. I’m going to go find some more today to take photos of.

IMG_4409

Before we left, I took a shot of the moon. I’ve never captured a moon so clear!

Comments

• Brad

That is beautiful.

Reply to Brad
  • Moriis

You are a phenomenal photographer-the way you capture moments is breathtaking.

Reply to Moriis
  • Alissa

These are beautiful, Taralynn…you’ve really captured that feeling of calm and serenity. It is still amazing to me how instantly relaxed I feel near the ocean–I would love to be 10 minutes away from the beach.

Reply to Alissa
  • Karlye

Folly is my absolute favorite place. These photos make me so happy!

Reply to Karlye
  • Elisabeth

You have a natural talent for photography.

Reply to Elisabeth
  • Karli

This looks like heaven! I have always wanted to move to the carolinas (Michigan winters are not for me) and your photos make me want to even more! By the way, your photography skills are really really good!

Reply to Karli
  • Sarah

I have to tell you I would never ever ever get tired of living on or near the beach. These photos are just gorgeous and making me add South Carolina to my must visit list while we are still living in the Southeast.

Love seeing you express yourself through your photos. Your passion for the beach and photography is very clear. That couple did add such a fun touch to the photos. And now I will definitely plan to pack a hammock for my trip πŸ™‚ .

Reply to Sarah
  • Sara

Beautiful photos! I have always wanted to live near the ocean and a beach.

Reply to Sara
  • Helena

That pic. of the moon is awesome! Perfect.

Reply to Helena
  • Michelle

That moon shot is amazing! Very clear and the colors are amazing!!! I’m still trying to get a good shot on my camera.

Reply to Michelle
  • Linda @ TheFitty

For some reason, reading this gave me to urge to play boadgames and take a walk on the beach with you, haha.

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Kristin C

Until I went to college, I lived my entire life at the beach. Folly beach looks incredibly similar to Ocean Isle Beach, Nc (where I grew up). It’s less commercialized and more quaint feeling πŸ™‚
    I never got sick of the beach, but I will say that most people end up taking it for granted. The past few times I went to visit my family, I didn’t even step foot on the beach. It’s sad but true.
    Glad you are enjoying your time with family and the beauty of the beach.
    OIB is only 2-3 hours from Charlotte. You should go visit in the Spring πŸ™‚

Reply to Kristin C
  • Shauna

Beautiful photographs, what kind of camera do you use?

Reply to Shauna
    • Angel

Im also curious! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous.

Reply to Angel