Dinner at Toast: Charleston, SC

IMG_4556

I had one of the best days today! My birthday is Saturday and so my mom decided to take me to get my hair done as a gift. I’m not kidding, it’s been a year and a half since getting my hair cut. It was ridiculous. I’ll do a post on what I did, how much I cut off, and where I went tomorrow!

IMG_4531

Right now I’d rather fast forward and talk about what we did after…had dinner at Toast!

IMG_4538 IMG_4543

We had two hours left on our parking ticket and we weren’t going to let that ten dollars go to waste. We stopped at Toast for some espresso and food. I ordered a non fat cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso. I know my hair may not seem short to you, but that was seven inches cut off. It feels so short!

IMG_4540

After drinking our espresso, we ordered food!

IMG_4546

We were hungry but not starving and so we decided to split some plates instead of ordering two entrees.

IMG_4549

We ordered their soup of the day, tomato basil bisque. It was so rich and heavy; itΒ tasted more like a dip, but so freaking good! I started thinking…why hasn’t anyone invented grilled cheese crackers? How good would those be in tomato soup? Yum!

IMG_4551

We also ordered the coconut shrimp, our favorite! My mom used to make coconut shrimp all the time when I was growing up. And when I say “make”, I actually mean defrost and shove it in the oven. Still good though, mom!

IMG_4552

We also ordered the house salad with their house vinaigrette dressing. They split the salad on two plates for us.

IMG_4554

I love sharing plates because I usually leave a restaurant feeling way too full or always have leftovers. Restaurants give you so much food and it makes more since to share! Plus it’s a money saver. After eating, we went out to walk around Meeting street a little.

We hurried back so we wouldn’t miss the Bachelor πŸ™‚

Comments

• Alissa

Happy birthday from a fellow Aquarius πŸ™‚

Reply to Alissa
  • Erin

Yay for January 31st birthdays! Mine is that day too πŸ™‚ turning 22! Happy birthday!

Reply to Erin
  • Melissa @ TheGreenPalateLife

I LOVE it! You really can pull it off. I once had 9 inches cut off my head, so even though it wasn’t “short” it was still short to me!

I haven’t ever been to Toast for dinner but it looks delish. My best friend and I would always go for their bottomless mimosas for brunch before walking around King St… πŸ™‚

Reply to Melissa @ TheGreenPalateLife
  • Alice @ Live Fit Love Chocolate

LOVE the new hair!! So gorgeous πŸ™‚ I’ve been thinking of cutting mine – I’m totally sick of how dead the ends are. You’ve inspired me!

Reply to Alice @ Live Fit Love Chocolate
  • Jessica

That’s so sweet that you got to spend the day with your mom. I love splitting dishes at restaurants too because you get to taste more of a variety. That soup looks so creamy & delicious – Yum!

I absolutely love your hair – it’s adorable!!

Reply to Jessica
  • Karli

WOW you’re so brave! but seriously good for you! I’m a hairdresser and I don’t even have it in me to cut off as much as I really should lol. You’ll be so happy that you did it in a long run though. Speaking of runs, I bet it’ll feel nice to have less hair hanging on your neck while working out! I love your lifestyle type posts. I’ve always wanted to write in more of that style in my blog but to be honest I am kind of nervous. Any advice? πŸ™‚

Reply to Karli

I beat a running goal yesterday and I think it’s because my hair wasn’t weighing me down πŸ˜‰ haha

It took me a while to write more about my lifestyle rather than only food/fitness and I love it! It’s like a little journal. Just start gradually doing it and soon it’ll take over your blog! Write for yourself and people will love it!

• Lauren

You’re hair cut looks so great πŸ™‚ I love your post on being positive and I cannot wait to try your baked chicken, baguette croutons, and homemade salad dressing! You’re page looks great too!! more sophisticated and mature looking. Sending happy vibes and sunny days from Golden, Colorado πŸ™‚

Reply to Lauren
  • Kristin C

I know what you mean. It’s been about 1.5 years since I had mine cut too! I need to have it done so badly. Usually I only cut my hair when it is long enough to donate, but this year I died it too many times. They don’t really want to make wigs out of partially-purple hair :p
    Yours looks great and I am glad you had some mommy-daughter time. I miss my mama a lot!

Reply to Kristin C
  • Jessica

I like to split dishes when I go out to eat too. It’s nice to be able to try a few different things when dining out. That soup looks so creamy & delicious!!

Also – your hair looks so adorable – I love it!!! πŸ™‚

Reply to Jessica
  • Jennifer

I agree with everyone on the hair front! It’s adorable and when I decide to finally part with some of my hair I’m going for that haircut!

Reply to Jennifer
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

I just recently had my hair cut after almost a year of growing it out! I feel ya– my friends think it’s still so long but to me it feels short!

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out
  • Jessica

Where has your Roomie emile been?!

Reply to Jessica
  • Lesley

You’re hair looks so great! Classy and stylish!

Reply to Lesley
  • Ashley @ AllAshleyMarie

Your hair looks adorable! I haven’t cut mine in years but I am growing it out so that I can donate it. I think the minimum I have to have is seven inches but even after that my hair will still be a little past my shoulders!

Reply to Ashley @ AllAshleyMarie

It feels so much better and i can finally put a brush through it! I have naturally curly hair and so it was matting together with the breakage. I think you’re doing an awesome thing! πŸ™‚

• Linda @ TheFitty

Lovin your new hairstyle, and what a mom to give you so much love. πŸ™‚ I wonder if you donated the hair you cut off?

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty

Thanks Linda!:) My mom is a keeper! haha. I couldnt donate my hair because the minimum is 10 inches, and I don’t think my hair would have grown any longer.

• Dana

I read your blog everyday- I pretty much never comment- but I just wanted to say I LOVE your hair so much it suits you so much! You look great!

Reply to Dana
  • Milena

Hey! I’ve been reading your blog for so long and I haven’t write anything until now. Just wanted to tell you that you are a a powerful woman! It’s amazing how much did grow up in the last few years. You’re a big inspiration for many girls and you are also one of the people who inspired me to write my own blog. I wanted to thank you for all your motivational words, for your strength and bravery in everything what you do. Keep going and never change, because you’re a great person.

PS. You look fantastic in new hair!

Kisses!

Reply to Milena

Thank you Milena! I’ll have to check out your blog and I’m always looking for guest posts if you’d like to email me! Your words mean a lot and thank you for all the support!! xo xo xo

• Kathy

Yep! Your hair looks awesome.
    And that soup….wow!
    Loving your blog post TL from here in the UK.
    So much so,I’m already planning my trip over to the ‘South’ for my 40th in 2016

Reply to Kathy

Thanks Kathy! How about this? Let’s just switch places for a bit. I’ll go to the UK and you come over to the South! πŸ™‚

• katie__

where is “the south”?

Reply to katie__

According to google:

The South Atlantic States: Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware. The East South Central States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. The West South Central States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas.

• katelyn

You would so cute with a shoulder length bob..My brother puts cheddar goldfish in his tomato soup.or my mom would always take french bread into pieces coat w olive oil and sprinkle with cheese popcorn seasoning and parm. cheese then bake πŸ™‚

Reply to katelyn

Those all sound fantastic. A short bob? i don’t have the confidence or guts to do it! lol

• katelyn

you would look beautiful no matter what, you also have tackled far more fears than that…”you can do anything you decide you want to”

Reply to katelyn
  • Kristjana

Your hair looks great! It’s been a year since I’ve got my hair cut too… so it makes me feel better that I’m not the only one who does that! I’ll have to go get mine done soon πŸ™‚

Reply to Kristjana
  • stacy @ Sweating Tulipz

Your hair looks great! So does that Yummy food! πŸ™‚ It sounds like a great day and Birthday celebration!

Reply to stacy @ Sweating Tulipz
  • Jess

I love your hair and this post!!

Reply to Jess
  • Michelle

Your hair looks so cute, that length looks so good with the shape of your face!!! And I love to crush a few Cheez-its into my tomato soup, or I make some grilled cheese croutons! So good.

Reply to Michelle
  • Helena

The first thing I noticed was your hair (before I scrolled down and you mentioned it)!! It looks great!! It’s lighter, right? Nice highlights …

Reply to Helena

Nope. I actually haven’t died my hair in a year and a half. I died it really dark when it was blonde and then it’s faded with the sun and overtime! I can’t wait until it grows out so I can cut the light out of the bottom. πŸ™‚

• Helena

I’m so envious then. I’m really liking your new look!

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked, but I see highlights. Maybe, it’s because your hair is naturally lighter. Your natural lighter blond shines through …

Naturally, I have dark brown hair. Now, I’m a brunette with highlights so I spend a fortune dying my hair. I’ve been thinking about going lighter, more blond but I can’t decide.

And I’m afraid to do it myself. Knowing me, I’d wind up bald or with green hair! πŸ™

Reply to Helena

They’re just natural highlights. My hair dresser said they’d grow out and I’m hoping so! I did the blonde thing for a year and it was fun but 1. it ruined my hair and 2. it was expensive to maintain. I was paying for trims, blends, deep conditioning treatments, and special shampoos! so so so pricey if you want it to look healthy!

• Natasha

Your hair looks so good!! This makes me want to cut mine.

Reply to Natasha

Thanks love! πŸ™‚ I was scared but also disgusted with how dry and unhealthy my hair was! My split ends hnd split ends with split ends and it just never ended!

• Katrina

I LOVE your hair! I have been thinking about going shorter too, you look great πŸ™‚

Reply to Katrina