Back From France: Breaking Out Breakfast!

10361581_769367926443119_7375180604612511877_n

I am home from France and it feels good. Unfortunately I woke up at 3 am and was ready to start the day. Grumples wasn’t too happy with me when I woke him up for a morning walk. He did settle for laying next to me on the floor. I’m sure I’llย be jet-lagged all this week.

It was a long and tiring journey, but worth it in the end. ย Traveling over the country and experiencing new adventures on the Big Blog Exchange was definitely life changing. ย However, it feels good to be home. I’m glad I have my dog back, my blog back, and I don’t have to lug around 100 lbs of luggage city to city anymore. I’ve definitely learned the “do’s and don’ts” from experience on this trip.

I have about 20 blog posts about France to write up, but instead of doing them all at once, I’ll try to do one or two a day until they’re all up. I have about five memory cards full of photos to load and share; that’s over 5000 photos.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

One thing I’ve missed while being away? My kitchen. I’ve missed cooking healthy meals, brewing coffee, and eating eggs withย bacon for breakfast. Cafe au Lait (coffee & milk) isn’t the same. Also, eating only cereal, bread, and croissants for breakfast isn’t my thing. I need protein to keep me full longer. I found that eating danishes for breakfast left me hungrier by noon. It’s the cultural changes that made me appreciate the way I live my life even more. I’m more grateful for my car, my cozy apartment, the huge dog park, my cell phone, and the easy access to everything. It’s just the way I was brought up and once it’s gone, you appreciate it more. ย Although, there are so many things they do in France that I want to incorporate into my life here in the U.S. I love the way they conserve energy, enjoy their meals at restaurants, work hard, and restore historic beauty.

10636189_769367363109842_2291069630116206380_n

The first thing I did this morning? I made an omelet and it was delicious. I need to go grocery shopping later today so I can buy chicken to grill, veggies to bake, healthy dessert ingredients, and more! I’ve missed posting recipes and can’t wait to share all the ones on my mind. Today, I think I’ll make a pumpkin & cream dessert pizza. I just need to think of the ingredients and how to go about it.

My omelet had 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 1 tsp garlic powder, black pepper, 1 roma tomato, 1 cup spinach, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1/4 cup almond milk, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.

10671356_769367373109841_8420139027983828733_n

-Heat a frying pan greased with olive oil to medium-high heat.
-In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, black pepper, garlic, and almond milk together.
-Chop the the tomatoes, cooked turkey bacon, and spinach.

-Pour the egg into the heated frying pan.
-Once the bottom of the eggs have darted to cook, add the bacon, tomatoes, and spinach.
-Cover and let the omelet continue to cook.

10698693_769367539776491_5575452068226466284_n

-Once the vegetables sink down into the omelet, add the cheese and cover.

10615352_769367646443147_2331614768942614649_n

When the cheese starts to melt, fold the omelet in half and cook each side for a minute or two.

10371405_769367779776467_2182650595544622616_n

Transfer the omelet to a serving dish!

1932404_769367673109811_5444700165328697182_n

I had a couple slices of light whole wheat bread with almond butter and bananas. In about an hour, I’m heading to the gym for a nice spin class session! I can’ wait ๐Ÿ™‚

Comments

• CC

I think you really proved courage with travelling to france by yourself. I can really feel your relief to be back,it’s not easy to acclimatize to something else even if it’s just food and for a short time. good to have you back ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to CC
  • Samantha

Welcome back, Taralynn! Your journeys in France looked amazing! Glad you made it back to the States safe and sound. I cannot wait to see the pictures of the rest of your trip! And I’m super excited about all of the new recipes you keep alluding to!

Reply to Samantha
  • Tran

Welcome back from France. Looks like you had an amazing time even with the unexpected hiccups. Look forward to all those photos.

Reply to Tran
  • Dana

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing your pictures and the recipes that will have been inspired from your trip.

Reply to Dana
  • Wonni

Awwww, youยดre back! โ™ฅ It was very exciting, to watch you facing France, but it is pretty cool, to have you back.
    Iยดm looking forward to seeing your next pics and reading the rest of your france trip.
    And Grumps has his mommy back. I guess, you both freaked out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Wonni
  • Allie

Wowww! It’s 10:30 at night and this looks soooo good right now. Mouth watering! Will have to try this asap

Reply to Allie
  • Amber

Yay!! So glad you’re back, can’t wait to read all the new posts[:

Reply to Amber
  • Amanda Kind

Welcome back girl!

Reply to Amanda Kind
  • Melissa

SOOO happy to have you back! Glad you loved your trip, but we missed you!

Reply to Melissa
  • Jaime

Taralynn!

So glad you are back from France safe. Enjoy your jetlag – an amazing excuse to stay in your pjs with mr.grumples ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Jaime
  • Lucie Aidart

Hi Taralynn! Welcome home!
    Thank you for making a space on your blog for me, it was an amazing experience to blog in English and on a different blog. I hope I did not annoy your readers too much.
    Yes, travel definitely make you appreciate the small things that make comfort at home, it’s totally normal. Especially after such a crazy and full on trip. Don’t worry, travelling doesn’t have to be that crazy, you can take it slow.
    I also miss cooking a lot, especially as they are no hostel kitchens in Asia.
    As for breakfast, I’m like Caro, I hate savoury in the morning, unless it’s brunch. Pastries, bread, jam, nutella, hot chocolate, cereals… yum yum!

Reply to Lucie Aidart
    • Samantha

Lucie,

It was so great to read about your travels and gain a new perspective! I hope you enjoyed your time in the U.S.! I will definitely be following your blog after the exchange!

Reply to Samantha
  • Lauren

Glad you’re back! I can’t wait to hear all about your time in France! And I’m glad you weren’t mugged by gypsies like I was!

Reply to Lauren
  • Eleonor

Most people in France don’t have pastries for breakfast… Same generalization than “people in the US eat donuts for breakfast”.

Reply to Eleonor
  • Caro Bleue Violette

Welcome back home, Taralynn ๐Ÿ™‚

I know you’ve had a few bumps on the road during your French trip but I hope you liked our beautiful country ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve enjoyed following you on Lucie’s blog and I will keep on following you here.

Your comment about our breakfast made me smile because I can’t eat savory dishes on breakfast (the idea of eggs first thing in the morning makes me sick, lol. Also I don’t eat meat, only fish ^^). I need some fruit or pastries to start my day ๐Ÿ™‚ !

Reply to Caro Bleue Violette

Thank you, Caro!

Your country was lovely and such a great experience. Funny how our cultural differences seem to clash sometimes, but it’s what makes us unique! ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Taralynn

• Linda @ TheFitty

Seems only like yesterday that you left for france!

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Maya

I’m glad you’re back too =) There’s nothing better than home!

Reply to Maya
  • Julie @ Run Away Freckles

When I backpacked in Europe I found the same thing with their breakfasts. We were trying to have big breakfasts to sustain us all day and it never worked. I also found hot chocolate with breakfast too sugary for me. Glad you had fun and are home safe!!

Reply to Julie @ Run Away Freckles
  • Lesley

About how many calories do you eat per day and how do you divide them up throughout the day?

Reply to Lesley
  • Ashley Criste

so glad you are back safe! cant wait to read more of your blog posts, you will be one busy girl writing all the posts.

Reply to Ashley Criste
  • Alissa

Yay, you’re back ๐Ÿ˜€ Looking forward to seeing some more of your photos.

I definitely agree that traveling makes you appreciate your home and what you have even more. Although I love Europe for some of the reasons you mentioned, the last time we came back I was pretty excited to just be able to hop in my car to run to the store instead of having to walk 10 mins to the metro, take the train, carry everything through the tube station, etc. Also I missed my morning green smoothie ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply to Alissa

Thanks so much, Alissa!

Crazy how much you can love a place, but wish for the normal place. I think it’s all about life’s routines, and familiarity that makes us feel comfortable.

& I also missed my green smoothies! ๐Ÿ™‚

• mooki

A great jet lag tip I use whenever I travel overseas is to stay up until 11:30 PM local time for the firstday or two. No matter how tired I am. It really helps get your body back in synch. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Reply to mooki