4-Ingredient, No-Bake, Protein Breakfast Balls(Vegan & GF)

I made four-ingredient, no-bake, gluten-free & vegan, protein breakfast-balls yesterday morning. My boyfriend says that I’m not allowed to make them anymore because he can’t stop eating them. I think that’s a compliment, and I’m happy he keeps eating them because I don’t them laying around tempting me this week. The peanut butter & chocolate chip combo is so dang good! πŸ™‚

I posted a little teaser for these protein balls on my Instagram story yesterday, and I had over 50 messages asking for the recipe. I didn’t want to wait until the end of the week to share it (because they’re way too easy to make) so I’m posting tonight! It’s weird for me to be posting on a Sunday night, but it’s also odd for The Bachelor to be on Sunday night. I needed something to keep me awake until the show, so for anyone asking about this recipe, you lucked out πŸ˜‰

**It was really hard for me to write this post without saying “cute balls.” Lots of edits**

I’m surprised I haven’t hopped on the “ball trend” yet. In fact, this is the first “ball” recipe I’ve ever posted on the blog. I’m so used to seeing recipes for energy balls filled with super seeds or dates, and I thought it would be a pain in the butt or a mess to make. Cleaning out food processors is almost worst than cleaning out my juicer. I also love that this recipe is NOT** (quick edit) filled with sugar!

I wanted to come up with an energy ball recipe that used common ingredients that you probably already have in your cabinets, one that involved zero equipment, and one that was kid-friendly. Why kid-friendly? I had a conversation with one of my friends, who is a mom, the other day. She was saying how hard it is to get her kids to eat anything in the morning, and breakfast time was the worst part of the day. I don’t have kids, but I was a nanny for several years, so I understand. I thought a recipe like this would be easy and fun to make with kids. If you let kids in on the process, they’ll be more excited to eat them (that always helped me.) Plus, when a breakfast involves chocolate, it’s an exciting one!
These peanut butter & chocolate oatmeal breakfast balls are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and vegan! If you want, use nut-free peanut butter if there are any allergies. Not only are these great for breakfast or on the go snacks, but they are also an excellent source of energy for workouts. These are also ideal for roadtrip snacks.

5 from 14 votes

No-Bake Peanut Butter & Chocolate Oatmeal Protein Breakfast Balls! (Gf & Vegan)

Course Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 30
Author Taralynn McNitt

Ingredients

• 1 Cup Peanut Butter (or your choice of nut butter)
  • 1 1/2 Cup Quick Oats (I used GF, you can use regular)
  • 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (I used Free2b)
  • 4 Servings Vanilla Protein Powder (or your choice of protein powder)

Instructions

1. Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Wet your hands and use them to combine.

2. If the ingredients seem to be too dry, add one tablespoon of water until moist enough to roll into balls. (you could also use melted coconut oil)

3. Roll the mixture into balls (3 tbsp sized.)

(Keeping your hands wet with cold water helps!)

4. Add to a ziplock bag or container, and store in the fridge.

Recipe Notes

This recipe makes 30 balls (3 tbsp sized)
Nutrition Per Ball: 76 Calories, 7g Carbs, 6g Fat, 6g Protein, 2g Sugar

Products I used:
Free2B Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (LINK) ——> I’m obsessed with ALL of their products. My closet is full!
Orgain Vanilla Protein Powder (LINK)
Crunchy Peanut Butter All-Natural Jif (LINK)
Gluten Free Quick Oats (LINK)
You can play around with this recipe and make it your own, too! You can use different protein powders, nut butter, raisins, spices, or superfoods. I think I’ll make a cinnamon raisin one next! πŸ™‚ Or maybe a cranberry white chocolate?Β
This recipe makes 30 balls (3 tbsp sized)
Nutrition Per Ball: 76 Calories, 7g Carbs, 6g Fat, 6g Protein, 2g Sugar

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday & great start to Monday! I’ll be posting my recap post soon! (so much food inspo)

Questions for you!

1. Would you like me to start posting a recipe on the weekends?
  2. What ball flavor should I make next?
  3. Do you have kids?

Comments

• Karen

Made these minus the chips added a few different things but are amazing

Reply to Karen
  • Anonymous

Make a macadamia nut flavor please

Reply to Anonymous
  • ERIN

AMAZING

Reply to ERIN
  • Hasley

I live in Australia

Great recipe!

Reply to Hasley
  • Nicole

I made these without the protein powder and they turned out! We are so excited about these. Thanks for the easy and family friendly recipe.

Reply to Nicole
  • Desire

These sound great!

Reply to Desire
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

YUM! These look so delicious, and I LOVE that they only have a few ingredients! Ben and I are big fans of balls (hehe, I couldn’t help myself – first grade teacher here). We always have them on hand for grab and go snacks! Chia seeds add a super yummy crunch to them too.

I love recipe posts! It’s always nice to get new ideas to change things up a little bit.
    Cranberry orange! Or… White chocolate macadamia!

Ummm… Does a fur baby count? Because I sure love her like she’s my child!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

Hi, Susie!

Hahahaha I still think it’s funny. It was hard to write this post without saying anything weird/inappropriate sounding about balls.

oohhh MAYBE a mixture of cranberry/orange/white chocolate/and macadamia!!!

lol yes yes yes it does!

• Emilee

I love recipes with such few ingredients! This works out great because I bought a large tub of powdered peanut butter awhile back without thinking what I was going to do with it all! I wouldn’t mind seeing more weekend recipes because that’s usually when I do my meal prep for the week and it would add inspiration to my planning. For another flavor, something along the lines of honey/cinnamon/butterscotch sounds really yummy. Have a great week!

Reply to Emilee

Hi, Emilee!

I bought a large tub of powdered peanut butter at Costco in December and I’m still trying to get through it lol I should have made these with that!

MMMMM butterscotch is so good! Great idea πŸ™‚ Maybe a scotcharoo ball!

• Emma Jean

Can I substitute old fashioned oats for quick oats? I’d put a rough chop on the old fashioned oats in a food processor, would this still work?

Reply to Emma Jean
  • Chasidy

How great do these sound? I will try them with sunflower butter for my nut allergy.

Reply to Chasidy
  • Kathleen Smith

Hi Taralynn! I love your site! I had a Sleeve Gastrectomy two years ago, so my world revolves around low fat, no sugar and HIGH protein! I just finished my version of your delectable little treats – however, I think I will need to name mine Kitchen Sink Protein Balls. 1.5 cups muesli, 0.5 cup oatmeal, 5 bags(1serving each) of Medical Grade Unjury Vanilla Protein Powder, 1/3 cup virgin cold pressed coconut oil, 1 cup creamy generic peanut butter, 2 TBSP PB2, 1/3 cup chia seeds, 1/3 cup flaxseed, 1/2 cup pure unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/3 cup slivered almonds, 1/2 cup Hersheys sugar-free semi sweet chocolate chips. I mixed by hand, as you did – wet hands, Great tip! Then made 30 β€œbites” and popped them into the fridge. Withou sitting down to do the math, I suspect my version will be closer to about 12 g. Protein and about 90 calories each. I have been β€œcreating β€œ protein snacks for a while now, but your base gave me a much cleaner start! I wish I knew how to make a wonderful website like you have! But I will definitely be following you now! And YES! Post recipes on the weekends!!! Thank you!

Reply to Kathleen Smith

Hi, Kathleen!

WOW! Thank you for sharing your version! These actually sound amazing!!!

& welcome to my blog! So glad you landed here:)

xo

• Michelle

These ball/bites look great! I love recipes anytime! An almond joy/coconut ball would be great! No kids, engaged and getting married next year!

Reply to Michelle
  • Mel

These look great! But, I need the fiber content. Do you have this info in your nutrition?

Reply to Mel
  • Sierria

I made these for my week! I have to drive 45 minutes to get to work and I’m always hungry and I actually have time to eat these.

Reply to Sierria
  • Zoe

Hi Taralynn,

Thanks for this recipe – I’m going to make these for my little 7 year old girl, who is SO hard to get breakfast into! My other two (11 year old girl and nearly 21 year old boy) will love them too, no doubt!

Reply to Zoe
  • Dorcas

Delicious, thank you

Reply to Dorcas
  • Liz

Perfect recipe.

Reply to Liz
  • Michaela

Great recipe!

Reply to Michaela
  • donnyk915

Thanks for the great recipe. I’m doing weight watchers and I put the nutrition info into my points calculator and one ball comes out to just 2 smart points! I’m always looking for a new yummy snack. Thanks😊

Reply to donnyk915
  • phyllis nussmeyer

If you use PB2 how much do you use? Thanks for the recipe.

Reply to phyllis nussmeyer
  • Rachael

I have been making these for a while as “lactation” energy bites (new mom), but my 4th ingredient was always honey not protein powder. In this case the honey would take the place of wetting your hands to make them stick- but I’m excited to try them with a protein powder now!

Reply to Rachael
  • Susie

Love this easy recipe! This flavor combo is right up my alley, but thinking my hubby may enjoy a white chocolate/shredded coconut ball…mmm! Have a great week πŸ™‚

Reply to Susie
  • Marlene

Did you mean to say “NOT” full of sugar? πŸ™‚ They look yummy!

“I also love that this recipe is filled with sugar!”

Reply to Marlene
  • Joan

I added chocolate protein powder and they turned out delicious

Reply to Joan
  • Kyla

*Would you like me to start posting a recipe on the weekends? – Yes! I enjoy your recipes!🍴
    *What ball flavor should I make next? – Something with fruit! πŸ“
    *Do you have kids? – Does my hubby count? πŸ˜‰

Reply to Kyla
  • Dory

I need recipes high in protein n low sugar or no sugar at all could you help. Thanks

Reply to Dory
  • David

Recipe looks interesting but it looks like about 70 % of the calories are from fat, any way to make a lower fat version?

Reply to David
  • Harriet

These look amazing, and only 4 ingredients makes them so easy to whip up, definitely going to make them this week! Please do a recipes posts on weekends would be great motivation for keeping the kitchen stocked with healthy eats. Dried apple and cinnamon balls would be a great combo or spiced pumpkin for autumn. I don’t have kids yet but I have dogs that keep me on my toes for now.

Reply to Harriet

Hi, Harriet!

Thanks so much. I loved posting a recipe this weekend πŸ™‚ I may just keep it up! OHHHHH yum I love apple cinnamon (even when it’s summer) lol dog mom too!

xo have a great week!

• Romi

I️ hate the taste of protein powder Just curious- do these ballshave a weird after taste of the powder?
    Btw the recipe looks amazing I’m s I tempted to try I️t!

Reply to Romi
  • Anonymous

I found your recipe as I was trying to Google something else. I like the simplicity of this recipe and that I can make these with my three-year-old grandson. I have one question though how many protein balls are a serving?

Reply to Anonymous

Hi! So glad you came across my blog! Welcome πŸ™‚

The serving size is one ball, but they are large. (3 tablespoons of the batter per ball)

xo Have fun making these with your grandson!

• Haley J.

I made these last night after you posted the recipe! I used almond butter and added some walnuts. Thank you for the water tip too.

I can’t wait to put these in my classroom fridge to eat this week.

Reply to Haley J.
  • Carol Markley

these look absolutely unbelievable and the flavor combinations and options to be added are endless Iam a very very busy mother and grandmother and work full time and never have time for breakfast
    Im making these TONIGHT
    But I don’t see how many it is per serving is it one ball per serving or two

Reply to Carol Markley

Hi, Carol!

These will be great for you to take on the go for breakfast. I hope you enjoy these!:)

1 ball is the serving size, but each ball is made up of three tablespoons of the batter πŸ™‚

• Jenny W.

1. I would love to see recipes posted on the weekends. They give me ideas of things to make for upcoming week.
    2. Coffee flavored balls would be fun.
    3. No kids. But i have an adopted fur baby.
    4. Your pink nail polish is very pretty!

Reply to Jenny W.

Hi, Jenny!

Sounds like a plan πŸ™‚

Ohhhhh I like how you think! Vanilla coffee!

Congrats on your new addition! They’re fun and a lot of work lol

And thank you!!

• jordan @ dancing for donuts

i cannot get over how easy these are to make! i have recipes upon recipes for energy bites/balls/whatever you wanna call ’em, but half the time i don’t have dates or nuts to make them! love that these are 4 ingredients i always have in my pantry – def making these when i’m home from vacation! πŸ™‚

Reply to jordan @ dancing for donuts

That is exacly why I wanted to come up with these! Energy balls always have the food processor involved and it’s a pain! Wanted it simple πŸ™‚

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

I’ve never tried making breakfast balls before. ❀️❀️ They sound so delicious and most of all, healthy! Perfect for mornings on the go! πŸ™‚

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Emily

These turned out awesome!

Reply to Emily
  • Yvonne Poire Smith

So what are the orange pieces in your pics….Reese’s Pieces? Weird…

Reply to Yvonne Poire Smith
  • Anonymous

Kudos to you Tara I would love preparing this a nd other versions of this recipe with/for my two Grandchildren, GABRIELLE AND SEBASTIAN DANIELS, I don’t get to see see them alot as I would love to but they love natural foods as such as adults do for work sports and play! God bless and good luck to you! YUMMY FOR US ALL who got your idea. This is right up my alley. Keep ’em coming. LOL MIMI

Reply to Anonymous

This comment made me smile!

You sound like an awesome Grandma! πŸ™‚

Enjoy making these with them!! Have a great week & thank you for all the kind words!

• Esther

Oatmeal raisin next please! Thanks.

Reply to Esther
  • Clare

I love the idea of doing this recipe with my son (he’s 2). He loves being a little chef! I also think this will be a huge hit for him and me any time of day. I would love more recipe posts like this one that are easy to include kids in! Thank you!
    Love your IG and blog,
    Clare

Reply to Clare
  • Linda @ the Fitty

1. I don’t particularly care for recipe posts as much as I do your life-y posts! πŸ™‚
    3. Nope I dont! I don’t even have a dog…yet πŸ™‚

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Haley

This made me giggle because I was sitting on the couch eating one of these with my one and a half year old before I saw this πŸ˜‚ perfect timing πŸ‘Œ
    Also, I will take your recipes anytime!

Reply to Haley
  • Joanne

I love recipes like this.

I have a five-year-old daughter who hates sitting down to eat anything. I think she’d love something like this to eat in the car on the way to school.

I’ve been reading your blog for the past seven years! It was a nice surprise seeing this post tonight.

Reply to Joanne