Valentines’s Day, Backyard BBQ, and Design Fun!

Hi, Everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ I had such a fun week! Crazy what a little good weather can bring. Not only was this week fun, but it was productive as well. When Spring comes around (the trees are blossoming here) I get so motivated to organize and make a clean start for summer. I know it sounds weird for me to be talking about spring when most of you have snow and ice storms coming, but I think we are just about over that in the south. Nothing but 60โ€™s and 70โ€™s ahead of us. Someone asked me the other day if I was thinking about moving back to Iowa. The answer to that is “definitely no.” I love Iowa, but I donโ€™t think I can ever face a harsh winter after being spoiled with the weather down here. If anything, Iโ€™d like to move somewhere further south.

I had a delicious dinner last Monday night before sitting down to blog and watch The Bachelor. I had roasted carrots, over easy eggs (2 eggs + 2 extra egg whites), and sauteed snap peas.
For dessert, I had some peanut butter cup halo top (they make dairy-free vegan flavors now) and crumbled figgy banana blondies on top. The figgy blondies and ice cream were the perfect combo!ย
Not only are the figgy banana blondies good with ice cream, but they are good with protein yogurt for breakfast! My protein yogurt consists unsweetened coconut milk yogurt (SoDelicious) and my plant-based protein powder (Vanilla Orgain or Chocolate Orgain.)
I spent most of my time at the table working on Tuesday. I was excited to get my Valentine’s Day post done, and a couple of other recipes made and photographed for the blog. For lunch, I had an everything bagel (sprouted flax bagel), a pear, some hard-boiled eggs, and tea. Speaking of tea, I need to go some more today! I always drink the lemon ginger tea.
These boys know how to play me. They were cute laying there next to me, so I closed up my laptop for an hour and headed out for a walk with them. I usually do a mile and a half per dog. Walking long distances seem to be my favorite workout lately.ย
For dinner, I threw together a salad. It had arugula mixed with honey balsamicย dressing, tomatoes, walnuts, blueberries, rice, onions, and chopped roasted carrots.
I was excited for Valentine’s Day! It’s always been one of my favorite holidays. After having coffee and walking the dogs, I spent an hour working while having breakfast. For breakfast, I had my protein yogurt topped with walnuts and my favorite chocolate chips from Free2bfoods.ย I bought them for baking, but I’ve been using them as toppers instead. Kyle likes to throw them into his protein shakes.ย
I headed uptown around noon because the dogs had an appointment with their groomer. I just had her shave them down instead of trying to brush out the mats or spend too much time on them. Their hair grows fast, and it’s much easier to give a dog a quick buzz. They always look so funny!ย
I was really really really excited to give Kyle his Valentine’s day photo book I put together. I did one last year, and he LOVED it! Watching him smile while he looked through it made my whole Valentine’s day!ย
Kyle made dinner reservations for us for Valentine’s day at Bentleys on 27. They had a Valentine’s day menu that looked so delicious.ย
We headed over around 7:30 pm for our reservation.ย
We started with the tuna carpaccio. It had herb and pepper crusted rare tuna, pickled ginger salad with ponzu sauce. It tasted incredible.ย
For my meal, I went with the Mero.ย It was sauteed Hawaiian sea bass, fingerling potatoes, baby carrots, sauteed spinach, and lobster Bauer blanc. Every bite was magical.ย
Kyle’s dinner was legit LIT.

He had their bourbon filet mignon. It came with roasted fingerling potatoes and grilled artichokes. The server pours a shot of bourbon over the filet and then lights it on fire. It’s pretty awesome!

And what is Valentine’s day without dessert? We hadย mixed berries with sabayon and chocolate crunch torte.

Valentine’s day was amazing. We headed back to Kyle’s, took the boys for a walk uptown, and then watched a movie before bed.
Thursday morning breakfast: protein yogurt topped with figs, chocolate chips, sunflowers seeds, and walnuts!ย
I was so excited to get my new swimsuits! Makes me want to plan a trip to the beach asap. I need to get a full-length mirror asap so I can get better pics, but this one is the South Beach Tassel Plunge One-Piece! I’m a size six in U.S., so I ordered the UK size 10. I am also small chested, so it was a little bigger up in the top. It has adjustable straps, which helped. The sizes run smaller in the U.K. Look at the sizing chart before ordering, but I’ve always loved Asos items.
I also ordered the South Beach Stripe Swimsuit! These were on sale too! I ordered it in the ten and it fit great!ย
I headed out to my parent’s house on Thursday afernoon so the dogs could run around the backyard. It was 70-degrees!
When I got home, I had turmeric, ginger, and vanilla protein chia pudding. It had ground ginger, ground turmeric, vanilla protein powder, coconut milk, and chia seeds.
I also roasted a ton of vegetables to keep in the fridge! I never let vegetables go to waste. If they are in the fridge, I make sure to roast them before they go bad.ย
For dinner, I had roasted vegetables and ground turkey.ย
And coconut milk ice cream with chocolate chips for dessert!
I woke up so early on Friday morning. I headed out for a dog walk and then made some stops at the grocery store all before 8 am!ย I had to restock my sparkling water ๐Ÿ™‚
This is what my fridge looks like before all of the meal prepping starts. I love to make a ton of vegetables, hard boiled eggs, proteins, and salads to keep in the refrigerator.
After cutting myself a couple of weeks ago with my new knives, Kyle had these cutting gloves sent to my house. It was a joke at first, but they are not a bad idea!ย
On Friday night, I headed to Pineville to meet up with Meighan for a fun craft night at Anders Ruff Workshop. She bought me this as a gift for my birthday. I was so excited! ๐Ÿ™‚ She also brought Kombuchas for us.ย  ย
If you’re ever looking for something to do in the Charlotte area, I highly recommend this! I’m so excited to bring my mom and Kyle’s mom. Thank you for the gift, Meighan! So fun ๐Ÿ™‚
I had the perfect spot for it ๐Ÿ™‚ย
It was sprinkling on Saturday morning, so I decided to start on my spring cleaning. I found this list on Pinterest, and I decided to start with the kitchen and living room. I took so many before and after photos, so I’m going to make an entirely separate post about spring cleaning and what I did! I always get inspired to clean out things when I see others do it. That’s what I hope this post does for you.ย
I went from 60 mugs at the beginning of last year to owning only fifteen now! I also loaded tons of bags with dishes to donate.ย
I had a lot of random boxes that were taking up space, so I eliminated those as well.
I did change out the dreamcatcher that was hanging above my bed for this macrame. I moved the dreamcatcher to the wall next to my T.V. I will eventually get new pillows that match.

When it stopped raining, my mom stopped by, and we went for a four-mile walk with the dogs!

For dinner, we did a delicious Blue Apron! ๐Ÿ™‚ More details on that soon.
On Sunday morning, we headed to dog training. The boys did really good, but still a lot to work on with them. We did exercises with an adorable bulldog named Tank. We just had the dogs walk by him continuously until they realized that it’s OK to walk by dogs without barking or lunging. This week, I’ll be walking by as many dogs as I can with our boys and using our heal commands. If you’re new to the dog training, we take them to Holland K9 services. We love working with John!

They are always tired after dog training!

I made chili and tasty salads and homemade dressing for lunch! (recipes coming soon)

We planned on going to the courts to play tennis, but I wanted to get things done around the house. Kyle and I headed to Home Depot on Sunday afternoon to grab rocks for my front landscape, some plants, and a new grill! I don’t know why it took me so long to get a grill, but I’m so excited to finally have one! I couldn’t wait to get it up and burning.ย
I invited my parent’s over on Sunday night for a little bbq.
I made a little shot of decaf espresso to sip on while enjoying the weather on the patio. (Nespresso maker & milk frother)
Leo LOVES my mom ๐Ÿ™‚
I’m the grill master around here.ย
I found this no sugar added BBQ sauce and was so excited to try it. I’m a big fan of Tessemae products, so I figured it would be good, and it was. It’s hard to find a barbecue sauce that isn’t loaded with sugar, so I was happy to find this one. I look forward to grilling with more of the Tessemae Marinades!
Nothing better than asparagus on the grill ๐Ÿ™‚
I roasted carrots in the oven and corn on the cob on the stove top for more sides.ย
Backyard views ๐Ÿ™‚ย ย
First grilled meal ๐Ÿ™‚
It was such a fun night, and I’m so happy we can finally spend time outside!ย
We all have corny parents…;)

Questions for you!

1. Do you get spring cleaning fever?
  2. What is your favorite food to grill?
  3. What is one thing you’re grateful for today?

• Natalija

Can’t wait for your spring cleaning post! Seeing the results other people achieved always inspires me to try harder,too. I love tidying and overall getting rid of clutter,but with kids at home that became a bit of shovelling snow during a blizzard ๐Ÿ˜€
    I love grilled veggies and pineapple!
    One thing I’m grateful for today is…music. I find so much strength,inspiration and comfort in it-starting from classical to some modern one,too.
    Looking forward to your new posts! Best wishes from England ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Natalija
  • Ashton Jury

I’m in love with your back patio! I am asking for a small grill for my birthday since I don’t have one anymore and as much as I love baking things in the oven there is just something delicious about a grilled veggies especially corn on the cob! But I love grilling all kinds of things, steak, chicken salmon pineapple you name it!

Reply to Ashton Jury
  • Anonymous

Your backyard is goals.

When will you post the plans?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Abigail Biggs

Your posts are always so inspiring and enjoyable to read.
    I have been a reader for a few years and have never commented, but I just had to tell you that I absolutely love your patio!
    Every aspect is adorable and so well put together! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Abigail Biggs
  • Sharni

Your parents are beyond adorable. I also looooove that stripy swimsuit!

Sharni |

Reply to Sharni
  • Danielle

OMG that mini mason jar is the cutest thing ever! Where is it from??
    As always, I love reading your posts! After a long week, I really look forward to reading them and catching up on your blog on Friday nights!

Reply to Danielle
  • Haley

Your backyard is adorable! Where did you get the wood couches?

Reply to Haley
  • Laura Wilson

That Valentines dinner looked amazing! And that such a cute swimsuit!

Reply to Laura Wilson
  • Michelle

I always get spring cleaning fever! Iโ€™m from the Midwest so once the snow melts I have the urge to clean everything so Iโ€™m ready to enjoy the weather to the fullest! Grilled chicken is my favorite. Itโ€™s soooo much better than baked! I love grilling pineapple alongside teriyaki marinated chicken. Itโ€™s my Dadโ€™s specialty!

Reply to Michelle

Hi, Michelle!

Yes, it really is better, especially when marinated!!

Pineapple is so good on the grill. I sometimes stuff jalapenos with pineapple on the grill.

• Mary

What a beautiful Valentine’s day dinner.

What did you use to make those books?

Reply to Mary
  • Dezzie

How much do you walk a day?

Reply to Dezzie
  • Hannah Southernwood

Iโ€™m not so much big on the inside spring cleaning as I am about outside! I get so antsy every year for January and February to hurry and the warmer months to get here so I can have fresh flowers and a nice flowerbed outside and we usually have to pressure wash our house at the beginning of every spring from all the weather over the winter. We live on a high hill and the north wind makes the front of our home look so dreary and dirty during the cooler months with all the white trim we have!

My husband works in the oilfield so when he IS home I have him grill me tons of meats and use them for my meal prep through the week! My favorite is his grilled chicken thighs or pork loin! Iโ€™m awful with the grill & have been debating on splurging on a Traeger grill so I can do it myself!

So grateful for my family and my sweet baby boy. He is 3 wild and crazy but I couldnโ€™t imagine life without him!

Question: you may have mentioned it already and I forgot, but where do you get your photo books made? I use Shutterfly and love it but it definitely doesnโ€™t look as personal and fun as the designs in yours!

Reply to Hannah Southernwood

Hi, Hannah!

I can totally agree with that as well. I’ve been getting all my pots cleaned and re-painted for spring flowers! I have someone coming to pressure wash next month! ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t know why the grill is so intimidating, but I find it better than cooking inside! I feel like it’s the idea of the gas blowing up or catching on fire that’s scary lol

Awwww! so precious! 3 is a fun and wild age!

I used Mixbook! ๐Ÿ˜€ They’re the best!

• May

Your backyard is goals!

Reply to May
  • Shannon

2 ice storms in a row here in the Missouri Iowa border – Are you sure you don’t want to move back ๐Ÿ™‚

Charcoal grills scare me but I would totally grill all the time if I had a gas one! Might need to ask for one for mothers day.

Thanks for the link to the spring cleaning, going to start tackling it ASAP – and men that clean and cook are very rare breeds keep him!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Shannon

Hi, Shannon!

Let me think about that…………………..NOPE. haha! I’ll be back this fall for some weddings but count me out for moving there!

Yes! THey are great! I grilled a ton of proteins for my fridge! I love them!:)

Lol yes, Kyle is a great cleaner and he helps me get rid of things. I’d have like 100000000 plates and 1000000 mugs if it weren’t for him.

• Chasidy

Your week looked great! I am looking forward to your spring cleaning post. I need to get on that asap.

I’m grateful for my family and husband.

Reply to Chasidy
  • Quin

Omg. Your dogs are naked! My Yorkie pups hate when they go to the groomer! It only takes about thirty minutes for them to get groomed.

Reply to Quin
  • Jackie

Love your patio! Can you share details on the roof/cover you have over it? I’m interested in doing the same privacy wall on my back deck and I really like the idea of a roof covering it!

I always enjoy reading your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing the site for the cute bathing suits also, I’ll have to check it out!

Reply to Jackie
  • Diana R

Heeeey, what a nice V-day!
    How did you make those carrots? They look amazing! I bet they’re good for health and weight loss to, huh?

Reply to Diana R
  • Amanda

Hey Taralynn!

I am also very excited for Spring and the warmer weather coming up here in the Carolina’s. I’m only about an hour and a half from you, so we typically have the same weather. There are some great mountains near my side if you ever want a different hiking experience. I’d be happy to show you around. Anyway, i’d love to see some posts about your yard work. I am itching to get outside and increase the curb appeal of my house, but i need some inspo! Your posts always inspire me, so i’d love to see the work you do.

Reply to Amanda

Hi, Amanda!

Yes, I need to get out and do some hiking this summer!

I plan on doing a whole post about the backyard and landscape eventually!:) Gotta get the grass green first! lol

• Felicia

Hi Taralynn! I was curious about How do you like to reheat your roasted veggies like Brussels sprouts?

Reply to Felicia
  • Lauren

When did you and Kyle move in together?!

Reply to Lauren
  • Lisa

I love the sign you made!

Reply to Lisa
  • Amy

When will you be back in L.A.? Does your brother still live there?

Reply to Amy
  • Lindsey

Is Kyle moving in with you?! Couldn’t help but notice he was the sign you made!

Reply to Lindsey

We will eventually live together. His work is too far from my house, so it wouldn’t be realistic right now. When he is here, I want him to feel like it’s home. It would be sad if I only mentioned me and the dogs on the sign. He’s apart of the family too ๐Ÿ™‚ (dog parents)

• Myriam

1. Do you get spring cleaning fever?
    I’m afraid not, not sure what spring has to do with cleaning haha, but I’m too lazy. I admire your energy, though lol. Well at least I clean the usual way every week.

2. What is your favorite food to grill?
    Any kind of vegetable, I guess, but I don’t have a grill…snif!

3. What is one thing youโ€™re grateful for today?
    This might sound stupid but a work colleague gave me one of her tea bags to try, since I told her that I hate tea so much but I’d love to like it… In fact the brand is yogi tea! But it’s not the one you use, but the classic one with cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Tea has always made me feel like being sick, I hope I won’t hate this one that much lol.

And apart from this, I just feel grateful for the love my bf gives me, besides we work together ^^

Have a great week cutie!

Reply to Myriam

Hi, Myriam!

Lol I feel like spring just feels so fresh and when the warm weather breaks out, everything needs to be clean and fresh too!

I’m so happy I have mine now lol Veggies are so good grilled!

I have had the other yogi teas but the lemon ginger is the best.

xo xo xo!!

• Lina

Awe we finally got some of the nice weather up north today and it feels like a sin having to work in an office and not be outside! Definitely have the itch to clean like crazy and go through all my things to see what I can donate.

Was wondering, with Valentine’s Day falling on Ash Wednesday this year, did you go to mass that day too?

Reply to Lina

Ahhhh I know! It’s hard to get anything done when it’s so nice outside. You feel like you HAVE to be out there!

I went to the 9:30 am mass! It was a 45-minute children’s mass lol

• Veronica

Love the post, as always! You guys should move to Austin, Texas! ๐Ÿ™‚ Beautiful city with non-stop things to do both outdoors and in. Not to mention the fantastic weather. I love grilling zuchini and roasting corn on the cob- shucks on, brush with a little EVOO and S/P. Yumm! Grateful for my hubby and kiddos.

Reply to Veronica
  • Haley

I love your home! I love your blog! I love your dogs! I love everything about you! Never stop blogging!

Reply to Haley
  • Kate

Where did you get your macrame?

Reply to Kate
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

There were too may things I loved about this, so naturally, I’ve forgotten about 90% of them haha. But I’m SO jealous of all the warm weather you’ve gotten. Send some of that our way! And that sign is perfection!

Lucky for me, Ben is ALWAYS cleaning around here, so I don’t get the spring cleaning fever as much. BUT, I do love giving stuff away and minimizing the ‘stuff’ we have. Since we live in a pretty small place, it makes it easier to live with less!
    I could eat grilled pineapple and peaches FOREVER. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite summer treats.
    And I feel VERY grateful for just about everything we have these days. Ben, my (noisy) kitty, my sweet students, my job, my family… The list goes on and on!

Have a great week!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

Hi, Susie!

Hahahaha well, thank you!

Ohhhh yes, the weather is so nice. Love that I don’t have to bundle up ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s also lighter in the mornings!

Ben is a rare breed!!! but he reminds me a lot of Kyle! Kyle is always cleaning too!

yes yes yes! Grilled pineapple ๐Ÿ™‚ Really good with jalapenos too!

<3 all wonderful things to be grateful for!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Kelsey Weissner

Hey Taralynn! I am loooooving this weather lately too ๐Ÿ™‚ we hit 78 here in MD and apparently we were hotter than the southwest today lol. Once I got my own place, I developed the love to clean!! So yes, cleaning sprees are my jam! My favorite food to grill would be steak. My mom makes this amazing grilled corn on the cob with lime and cotija cheese crumbles–it’s out of this world! One thing I am grateful for today is my job. Although I’m still unsure if it’s something I want to do for the rest of my life, I was reminded today how much love and appreciation and support I have there and it’s such a fulfilling feeling!

I can’t wait to see the chili recipe and the homemade dressing recipe! I hope you have a great week ๐Ÿ™‚

xo Kelsey

Reply to Kelsey Weissner

Hi, Kelsey!

That is amazing! We hit 78 too! ๐Ÿ™‚ I spent most of my afternoon outside.

Ohhhhhhh she makes the good street corn!

Love that:) proud of you!!

xo xo xo have a great week!

• Lisette

Thank you so much for your spring cleaning posts! It will definitely inspire me to do it too! My priority is the garage and basement. It’s insane. But i’m really excited! I’m curious which grill you bought? We got one from home depot, but it blows around and falls over when it’s the least bit windy. (Only one wheel locks apparently, which we didn’t notice in the store.)
    Today I’m grateful for YOU! I’ve just joined beachbody and I’m getting on a work out routine and healthy eating. I love your blog, you inspire me so much to be better and healthier and I’m always in such a good mood after reading your blog posts!

Reply to Lisette

Hi, Lisette!

My garage is my project this summer too!!

I just got a really inexpensive grill! (hoping it doesn’t blow away or down lol) I got a 3-burner Dyna-Glo!

Wow!!! Thank you for that! That made me smile so big! I have no doubt that you’ll do amazing! ๐Ÿ˜€ xo xo xo xo xo

• Ali

Where did you get your dress for valentines dinner ?!? Itโ€™s so cute!

Reply to Ali
  • Mackenzie

OOoooo that Valentineโ€™s Day dinner sounds superb! And that bathing suit is too dang cute. So fun that itโ€™s warm there againโ€ฆ here in northern California we had quite the drop the last couple days. Iโ€™m scared to go outside, and just like you.. people have asked if we would ever move back to the Midwestโ€ฆ Gosh, it would be SO hard. Love when your family pops up in posts- your parents sound awesome. Thanks for making my afternoon coffee so enjoyable! XO

Reply to Mackenzie

Hi, Mack!

Yes, so happy it’s warm FINALLY! We have about two months of winter lol (not much to complain about) but when there is no snow, it’s no fun.

Hahaha, it would be hard! Especially after living in California for sure!

I do love my parent’s and family so much ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a great week, girl!

• Erin

And YES I am so not a hoarder so when I feel my house is getting cluttered I go crazy

Love grilling all veggies!!

I’m grateful for my 8 month old letting me sort the laundry out of the dryer LOL

Reply to Erin
  • Caleigh

This looks like a fun week!

We love griling steak and shrimp.

I am so grateful for your blog because it brings me happiness with my morning coffee.

Reply to Caleigh
  • Katie

Awhhh what a fun post! Love everything about this from the photo book idea, the swim suits, the food, and the adorable sign you made!!!! Super jealous of the beautiful weather youre having – I need to move down South ASAP ๐Ÿ˜‰ Ha! I wish.
    XO, Katie |

Reply to Katie
  • Elizabeth Jansen

Hi Taralynn!

I love these recap posts you write. Warmer weather also makes me want to do allll the cleaning! Kyle and I are hoping to move later this spring/early summer, so I’m excited to read about your spring cleaning and hopefully get some tips!

Reply to Elizabeth Jansen

Hi, Elizabeth!

Thanks so much ๐Ÿ˜€

Moving is exciting! & yes! Making the post alone is inspiring me to do more cleaning lol!

Have a great week!

• chris

Hello Taralynn! Such a pleasure to read your post.. every time I just dive in. You have this way of writing it’s “simple” with you, accessible, you just open up to us. I love your authenticity! Thank you to give so much to us ๐Ÿ™‚ I also love your photos! If one day I move to the USA (I’m in Canada), I’ll choose to settle down in your area, I just love the architecture, the streets, the atmosphere … I can’t get enough :)!
    I was wondering – sorry if you already talk about that in a post earlier – with what type a camera do you take your pictures? Iphone? Do you use a program to edit them or add filters?

Reply to chris

Thank you!

Yes, the U.S. Is beautiful and there are so many parts to explore. I’m sure Canada is the same!

For my posts like this, I just use my Iphone and VSCO/lightroom for editing.

• Holly Danielson

I love how you roast your vegetables, but how do you reheat them so they taste just as delicious as when you pull them out of the oven? I have been loving roasted broccoli and cauliflower, but reheating just doesn’t work out so well!

Reply to Holly Danielson
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Ooh, I love BBQs! I had one just the other week with a huge group of my friends and it was the best thing ever. We ended the night with a hilarious never-ending game of Cards of Humanity! ๐Ÿ™‚ My favourite food to grill would probably be fish or okra – not very traditional, I know, but it’s what I like eating most, haha! โค๏ธโค๏ธ

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Hi, Charmaine!

Thanks for stopping by to read <3

Ohhhh that game is so fun! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love it! Ohhhh grilling okra sounds like a great idea! We are going to grill fish this weekend! ๐Ÿ˜€