Roasted Carrots & Maryland Crab Cakes

12746411_988430284536881_1984259817_n

I decided to run on Sunday night instead of during the day. It was absolutely beautiful. The sun was out, it was sixty degrees, and the trees are all starting to bud. I took a new route that lead me over bridges, around ponds, and through pretty neighborhoods in Charlotte.

IMG_0689

After my run, I decided to make some sweet roasted garlic carrots and crab cakes from Whole Foods. I LOVE carrots and do not make them nearly enough. I found a huge bag at BJ’s wholesale and they were fresh and perfect for roasting. Usually when I eat seafood, I make roasted red potatoes. The carrots were a nice change up!

IMG_0683

Carrots are really easy to prepare too. I added them to an oven safe dish and tossed them in olive oil, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper, dill weed, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and added in some garlic cloves.

12516299_988430067870236_678559874_n

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, take them out and flip them over. Bake for another 25 minutes. You can take a test bite and if they’re no longer crunchy, they’re done!

IMG_0684

The Maryland crab cakes were really good. A bitttttt salty, but still very good and flavorful. I will be making homemade crab cakes soon!

IMG_0691

The cakes cooked perfectly and were crisp on the outside and moist in the middle.

IMG_0687

I had leftovers from Chipotle and Chopt salad, so I mixed them together for a salad to go with the dinner.

IMG_069412421507_988430091203567_1813367430_n

This was a great Sunday dinner!

1. What is your go-to Sunday dinner?
  2. Where did you have the best crab cake in the world?
  3. How do you like your carrots? Raw/Cooked?

Comments

• hanna

The carrots look bomb

Reply to hanna
  • Riley

These carrots were awesome!

Reply to Riley

Glad you enjoyed them!!

• Kathie Fitzgibbons

What measurements do you suggest for your roasted carrots, i.e. how much olive oil, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper, dill weed, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some garlic cloves?

Reply to Kathie Fitzgibbons
  • Anonymous

Those look great

Reply to Anonymous
  • Zoe

I have not had many crab cakes,I only remember having them once and I wasn’t impressed. But I absolutely love crab legs! When I was younger, there was a Chinese restaurant in a nearby town that had crab legs on their buffet every Friday night. My family would go and my dad and uncle would crack the legs for themselves, my two cousins, and me. My mom and aunt didn’t care too much for crab, so they would bring their books and read while the rest of us took 2+ hours to eat! Lol

I like carrots cooked and raw, but I prefer them cooked. I don’t make cooked carrots often because I haven’t found a favorite way to make them yet. When I eat raw carrots I have to have ranch to dip them in!

Reply to Zoe
  • Sherri

Best crab cakes ever are at Fishy-Fish, Southport, NC. Have them on the dock beside the sailboats. Yum.

Reply to Sherri
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

haha wine from a coffee mug–NICE! 🙂

I get a stomachache when i eat raw carrots for some reason–but i love cooked carrots. Cant wait to try this!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Laura S

My in-laws are from Baltimore and my mother in law makes THE best crab cakes.

To makes 8 cakes its:
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 pound jumbo lump crab meat, picked over

The secret to her recipe is using ZERO filler – no crackers or bread or anything. Then broil crab cakes on one side until brown, flip and brown the other.

Reply to Laura S
  • McKayla

We have nachos for Sunday dinners; like clockwork! Haha 🙂
    I’ve actually never had a crab cake… Every time you blog about them I wish I were able to try one!! They look utterly amazing!!!
    I love raw carrots with hummus and roasted carrots! I basically only eat them those ways! But you can’t beat fresh raw carrots hand picked from your own garden!! Ahhhhh…. Summer…

Reply to McKayla
  • Brooklyn

I don’t eat seafood (I wish I did, I just have never found any seafood that I can stomach) but I LOVE carrots!
    I love carrots all ways, but I have been roasting tons of carrots lately.
    They’re so amazing 🙂

Reply to Brooklyn
  • shanna

I like to make big dinners on sunday. it’s like the one day that I really have to cook. I try to make something that will provide leftovers I an incorporate into the week. something like a roast or lasagna.
    I live in eastern Washington so fresh seafood isn’t as good as the west side of the state, but it can be caught that morning and be to us by dinner, so we’re not completely deprived. thankfully! that being said, the best crab cakes I’ve ever had are from a small bistro down the road from my work. now I want some. lunch is in two hours. heh.
    carrots are one of my favorite veggies. I can eat them anyway. I have often bought the 1 lb bag of baby carrots and just munch on them at work. I will be trying the method you shared soon!

Reply to shanna

I love having roast on sundays! reminds me of my mom’s cooking.

It’s always good to have a local place that offers amazing crab cakes.

I wish I could eat carrots the way you do! i just need hummus 🙂

• Emily B

I like to do this thing called “Sunday Supper” and it usually consists of popcorn for supper. Ha!

Reply to Emily B
  • Erica

Soy sauce + italian seasoning…? If you’re looking for a savory/umami note, you should try something like worcestershire sauce, mushrooms (I don’t like eating them so I pick them out, but they add the same flavor complexity I think you’re trying to hit with the soy sauce), anchovies (same as mushrooms), parmesan, tomato sauce, or chopped olives.

Reply to Erica
  • Shannen Arnett

Your meals always look amazing! I love carrots! I eat them both ways but I prefer not to eat them raw by themselves. I’ve only had one or two crab cakes. I am still building up a taste for seafood, but crab is becoming one of my favorites! That salad looked pretty good too! Now I am hungry.. 😛

Reply to Shannen Arnett
  • Sarah

This time of year I throw a whole chicken with some olive oil, s&p & rosemary in the crock pot with about an inch of water on low for 10ish hours… perfect Sunday dinner, clean everything off the bone gives me at least 3 lunches & save the bones for broth/soup!

Best crab cakes in some dark little dive bar, coastal Maine … ohhh they were SO good

I like shredded carrots raw, put them on a ton of meals like that, they add just a little crunch and just a little sweet!

Reply to Sarah

oh yum!!

I bet those crab cakes were awesome!

I also love shredded carrots. My grandma got me hooked on shredded carrots in orange jello!

• E.S.

I love roasting carrots with beets, turnips, red potatoes, onions and garlic. Delicious! The beets give the other veggies the perfect hint of sweetness.

And….

Drinking straight out of the bottle when you run out of wine glasses can be classy right? 😉

Reply to E.S.
  • Jacqui

– Sunday’s we usually do seafood, steak or we go out – love to take a break from cooking on the weekends.

– My mom actually makes the best crab cake EVER – we just had them on Sunday (seafood sunday is kind of a tradition) with a homemade spicy remoulade sauce, and an orzo with tomatos and peas. SO GOOD

– like you said, raw needs a dipping sauce (hummus or ranch) but i do love them cooked too!

Reply to Jacqui

I don’t blame you! Seafood is always a good Sunday dish and steak in the summer.

Your mom should email me her recipe!!:) LOVE crab cakes. I havent had orzo in so long but love it!

• Andrea @ Blog Strength

I love roasted carrots, I usually make them with a dill butter reduction. I have only had crab cakes a few times in my life and really enjoyed them, now after seeing yours I’m having a craving! Too funny about the lack of wine glasses, I’ve been there too but we ended up using mason jars!

Reply to Andrea @ Blog Strength

Oh that sounds amazing!

I never used to like crab cakes, but slowly built a love for them! Now, I get them whenever I can. Mason jars would have been a great idea!

• Hillary Danielle

Mmm, this makes me crave a crab cake now!

1. Our Sunday dinners usually consist of something that can be thrown in the crock-pot (during the colder months) or something we can throw on the grill (during late Spring, Summer, and early Fall). We’ll do a roast with veggies in the crock pot, or I buy country style boneless ribs that I throw in the crock pot. Or we will do chicken, steak, and/or tilapia on the grill. The chicken and steak sometimes we will cut up and make a shish kabob out of them with peppers and other veggies.

2. I’ve only had a few crab cakes, and they were just from larger chain restaurants. I want to try one from a little hometown place by the beach one summer.

3. As for carrots, I can’t eat them raw, they make me gag. I love cooked carrots though, always have, for some reason. Raw just grosses me out by the taste and texture.

Reply to Hillary Danielle

They were so good.

I want to come have dinner at your house on Sundays! That all sounds wonderful.

You’re lucky to live by the beach, crab cakes are best fresh!

I can only eat them raw if they’re covered in guacamole, hummus, or ranch!