Healthy Whole Wheat Avocado Brownie Bites!

whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynn

I was on the hunt for chocolate this afternoon! I will be posting a lot of healthier recipes coming up. Over the holiday break, I found myself diving into all the unhealthy foods (Pie, fudge, peanut brittle, frosted cookies, truffles etc.) and now it’s time to get back on track with clean eating.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnCreating healthier versions to my favorite foods helps me stay on track. It’s like having your cake and eating it too. It’s super fun to get creative in the kitchen, too!whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnToday, I chose to make healthy brownies! I took one of my mom’s recipes and transformed all the ingredients. I substituted the butter with yogurt and avocado; I took out the salt, replaced the sugar with Stevia and agave, added extra unsweetened cocoa powder instead of chocolate bark, and used whole wheat flour instead of white.

The brownies turned out awesome! They didn’t taste light, either. They were super rich, chocolate-y, and fudge-y. I told my boyfriend to try one before I told him what it was made of and he LOVED them! He was excited to find out they were healthy.

Oh, and you can’t taste ANY of the avocados! They are very close to tasting like the boxed dark chocolate brownies! whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnIngredients:
* 1 Medium Avocado, 3 Medium Eggs, 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour, 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1/3 Cup Hot Water, 1 Tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract, 6 OZ Vanilla Yogurt, 5 Packets Stevia, 3 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips, 3 Tbsp Honey or Agave.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnPreheat the oven to 350 Degrees

Add the egg, avocado, and yogurt to a mixing bowl and mix on high until combined.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnMix in the vanilla and Stevia.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnAdd the water to the cocoa powder and mix. The consistency should be like icing. If it’s too thick, add water by the tbsp.
whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnMix the chocolate into the yogurt, eggs, and avocados.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnMix well. If you do not have an electric mixer, you can use a food processor or a blender.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnAdd the flour to the mixing bowl.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnCombine!
whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnAdding the agave is 100% optional. You could also use honey. I like things to be sweet, so I added about three tablespoons to the batter.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnGrease a baking dish and add batter to it. Spread the batter out evenly.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnI used a 5 in X 10 in pan. You can use a larger one and make the brownies thicker if you’d like.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnTopping the brownies with dark chocolate chips is a definite must! It reminds me of the fudge brownies that get frosted with more fudge.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnSprinkle the dark chocolate chips on top.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnBake in the oven for 25-30 minutes!whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnUse the toothpick method to check if they are done! They should be nice and firm.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnLet them cool for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator before cutting into them. You will want to keep these in the refrigerator. The cold air gives the brownies a fudgy texture and brings out the chocolate flavors!

Cut the pan into 48 mini bites or 12 large brownies!whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynnServing Size: 4 brownie bites:

For 4 brownie bites: 106 Calories, 16 g Carbs, 5 g Fat, 4 g Protein, 4 g Fiber, 5 g Sugar

Nutrition for 1 brownie bite: 27 Calories, 4 g Carbs, 1 g Fat, 1 g Protein, 1 g Fiber, 1 g Sugar.whole wheat avocado brownies no butter no sugar added simply taralynn

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Comments

• Katie

Hi Taralynn! I’m a big fan of your blog and I finally tried one of your recipes. I wish I could post pictures in this comment box to show you, but anyway, mine turned out pretty awesome, even though I used hot chocolate mix instead of using the cocoa powder! 😉 I had my doubts, but I mixed a little bit of melted dark chocolate chunks to make the darker color, and it turned out as I wanted. I love how fudge it is, and It did not really have any sweet taste to it which I was like, “hmm… I don’t know if I like it”, but then after eating a couple pieces, I love it!! and I keep craving it too!! This recipe is amazing and my husband told me it’s awesome! 🙂 I will definitely make this again! Thank you, Taralynn, and I look forward to seeing more healthy desserts recipe! 🙂

Reply to Katie
  • Jennifer

These are tasty!

Reply to Jennifer
  • Hanna

I’m trying to make these right now, but they won’t set. I have them in the oven for about 45 minutes now, but they are still mushy. Should I raise the temperature or leave them in longer? I used a slightly smaller dish, so they are a bit thicker.
    I hope they will be fine eventually, can’t wait to try!

Reply to Hanna
  • Taylor

I made these and really liked them! Except I may need to add more cocoa powder next time because I think I used more avocado and they batter wasn’t as brown as yours and they weren’t as chocolatey as I was hoping! But definitely a fan for some guilt free indulgence!

Reply to Taylor
  • LaRohnda

I wasn’t a fan. Then again, I’m new to this whole clean eating experience and was praying that it tasted like regular brownies. I’ll give this recepie a try when I have successfully kicked my sugar addiction. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to LaRohnda
  • amanda

When mixing the eggs,yogurt and avacodo does the avacodo not mash smoothly? Mine is chunky and will not beat smooth.

Reply to amanda
  • Chelsea

I attempted to make these tonight and I baked them for at least an hour if not longer because after 30 minutes they were still mushy. Now it’s like they’re still not done in the middle. They’re in the fridge now, but is there something I may have done wrong?

Reply to Chelsea
  • Eve

These really are great!! My 3yr old loved making (and eating) them with me!! We just added blackberries as an extra. Yummy:)

Reply to Eve
  • Melanie

Yumm I’m making these today! I just need to buy some avocados 🙂 I think I will use oat flour instead of whole wheat also. Hopefully they work out 🙂

Reply to Melanie
  • Molly

Looks yummy! Do you have a sub for the yogurt for dairy free?!

Reply to Molly
  • carrie kraft

Do you think coconut flour would work just as well?

Reply to carrie kraft
    • Alice hernandez

That’s a very good question or Almond flour. I would like to know the answer to that.

Reply to Alice hernandez
  • Andreia

This looks INCREDIBLE! Such a wonderful idea, thank you for posting all your cooking experiments for us 😀

Reply to Andreia
  • Summer

Why dont you post videos on youtube~ just curious~

Reply to Summer
  • Amber

I made these and didn’t have any guilt giving them to my 3 year old even if he asked for more. Now I noticed that the bottom of my brownie was moist. I used TJ vanilla bean Greek yogurt as the difference in mines. Do know why they may have been moist at he bottom?

Reply to Amber
  • Alexandra

Can you leave these out of the refrigerator or will they go bad?

Reply to Alexandra
  • Joi

Thanks so much for this great recipe! It was a bit of a mission to find all the ingredients in Germany but it was really worth it in the end! 🙂 Your recipes make it so much easier to stick to a clean and healthy diet, thanks so much for putting so much effort into your blog- love the new website!

If you like you can check out my pictures and experiences of the Avocado Brownies on

Thanks, Joi

Reply to Joi
  • Rachel

Look Deilsh!! any chance of a Gluten and dairy free version… can’t eat these 🙁 xx

Reply to Rachel

A lot of people have substituted the flour with gluten free flour and it worked out perfectly! You might be able to use coconut yogurt instead!

• Tamara

Can you freeze these?

Reply to Tamara
  • Meaghan

A few days ago, I tried these and they turned out great. I made some changes to fit the ingredients I had on hand. I didn’t have any stevia so I did 4 tbsp. of brown sugar. I didn’t have vanilla yogurt so I used plain Greek yogurt. I also didn’t have agave so I used honey. I put 5 tbsp. of honey in there to make for sure it was sweet enough. Anyway the end result was yummy. I like how these brownies taste kind of like protein bars. Yummy! Thank you for a yummy, healthy recipe.

Reply to Meaghan
  • Julie

Hi! New to your site from Pinterest 🙂 These look delicious! I was wondering if I could omit the Stevia? Or maybe substitute something else? Thank you!

Reply to Julie
  • Erika

Hey Girl,
    What do you think about almond flour instead of wheat? I see below someone tried a different type of flour, so just curious your thoughts and experience with almond flour. Do you think adding xanthan gum would help keep them brownie-like?

Thanks!
    Erika

Reply to Erika
  • Shyann

In the ingredients you say 5 packets Stevia, but here in SA it’s not really all that popular so my “Packet” and yours would probably be different – could you indicate in Grams or something?

Reply to Shyann
  • Gulreen

Just made these last night with spelt flour instead of whole wheat and vanilla greek yogurt but I may have messed up on something because I could still taste the difference 🙁 I still enjoyed them but it didn’t fool my brothers… :/

Reply to Gulreen
  • Marlene

How much does 1 package of Stevia contain?

Reply to Marlene
  • Kate @ Coffee with Kate

Look awesome. Just confirming no baking powder or soda? They still rise ok?

Reply to Kate @ Coffee with Kate