I loved working out alone. No one to slow me down, no one to change things up, and no one to challenge me. Boy was I wrong. A workout buddy is a complete game changer. It only took me one run with Meighan to change my mind on running alone, and it only took me one gym sesh with Becca to make me realize killing circuits with a friend is so much better!
1. SAFETY: I don’t like running alone. Sometimes I want to run a trail or run at night, but I can’t becuase it’s not safe. Luckily, you can do that with a running partner. Two is always better than one! There are a lot of trails in the Charlotte area for running, hiking, and exploring, but they are so secluded and I just feel much safer with someone else.
2. MOTIVATION: If your friend wants to workout with you, they’ll do everything they can to motivate you to get off your butt. I wouldn’t have ran yesterday, but since I had a running buddy, I fit in four miles and it felt great. I huffed and puffed the first minute, but the runner’s high kicked in super quick and I was feeling good.
3. ACCOUNTABILITY: When I make plans with my friends to workout, I stick to them. When I make plans with myself to workout, there is no one holding me accountable or telling me that I have to go. You’re more likely to workout with a friend than by yourself.
4. CONFIDENCE: When you’re working out with a friend, you’re distracted by them. You don’t have time to look around and worry about what others are doing. I used to be so intimated by the gym! I was embarrassed of looking like a fool working out, but that all goes down the drain when you’re with a buddy. I feel so confident when my friends and I are killing our circuits.
5. LEARNING EXPERIENCE: I usually stick to what I know and what I feel comfortable with. When you workout with friends, you get to learn what they stick to and what they feel comfortable with. I have learned so many new workouts and fitness tips.
6. COURAGE TO TRY NEW THINGS: I like to stick to my little gym circuits and running, but when I’m with my friends, we go to spin classes, boot camps, kickboxing, new trails, pure barre, and all kinds of new workouts! I don’t like going to these classes alone or trying things out for the first time, but I always feel more confident with a workout buddy.
7. IT’S FUN: I dread working out sometimes, but NEVER when it’s with a friend. It’s the perfect time to catch up, laugh, and have fun! My friends and I love doing circuits at the gym together, going on SUPER LONG walks and babbling about everything. Working out with my friends is pure therapy. Getting those endorphins flowing, talking about things on your mind, and getting fit together is what keeps me motivated to keep going.
8. LIFESTYLE SUPPORT: There is nothing better than sharing the same healthy lifestyle as your friends. I had friends in the past that just wanted to drink beer, never workout, and eat tons of crappy food. That isn’t bad, unless you start falling into that lifestyle too. Having friends that share your passion for fitness and healthy eating makes your lifestyle so much more attainable and easy. My friends get just as excited for workouts, green juices, and crushing goals! You’re less likely to eat fast food and candy if your friends are eating grilled chicken and giant salads. A good workout always make us feel better and happier, and that is what we strive for.
9. BETTER FRIENDSHIPS ARE BUILT: Friends who workout together, stay together! I workout with my friends or boyfriend at least 3 times a week. We love going for walks, runs, hitting up a class, or just a circuit at the gym. Even though we LOVE those fitness dates, we enjoy just being friends and hanging out even more (outside of the yoga pants) I love the positivity that my friends have and it’s super contagious. The way they work hard to do better and be better, inspires me to do the same.
10. MORE GOALS ARE SET & CRUSHED:
I have crushed SO MANY MORE fitness goals since working out with my friends. Meighan and I already have our half marathon trip booked, we are killing our miles, and I’ve put on a lot more muscle lately. Fitness is just so much more fun when I’m with my friends and they’re the best motivation to keep crushing goals. <3
So where the heck do you find these running buddies? Well, I got really lucky with these girls. I met them through mutual friends, but you can still find workout friends. Just start going to more workout classes at your gym, join running groups, try fitness clubs on meet-up, or motivate your friends to workout with you! When your friends see you working hard towards a healthy lifestyle, it’ll inspire them to do the same. All of my friends motivate and inspire me!
Questions for you?
- Do you have a workout buddy?
- Would your rather workout with someone or by yourself?