The White House, Georgetown Cupcakes, & More!

KING STREET OLD TOWN ALEXANDRIA METRO

Good Morning Everyone!

Now that I’ve completed my morning workout followed by a hot cup of coffee, I can finally post about my D.C. experience from yesterday. First off, if you live here, you are so lucky. There is so much to see, do, explore, and experience. I’m glad I made my trip a 10 day one otherwise I would have felt robbed.

We started our morning at the King St-Old Town Metro!

ARLINGTON GATEWAY PARK

After getting off the metro we made our way through the Arlington Gateway Park towards Georgetown.

MOUNT VERNON TRAIL GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON DC

There are a lot of trails in D.C. and great for people who love being outdoors.

GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON D.C.

We walked across the bridge overlooking the Potomac river.

WASHINGTON D.C. PADDLE BOARD POTOMAC RIVER

There were people paddle boarding and kayaking. I can’t wait until we do it! I’m debating to either paddle board or kayak!

GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON D.C.

We finally made it to Georgetown and it was everything I expected and more! I loved the flowers that lined the streets.

GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON D.C.

The town looked so historic and quaint.

DC CUPCAKES GEORGETOWN

First stop on the agenda? D.C. GEORGETOWN CUPCAKES!!

GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE D.C. TLC

We all decided to split one cupcake because it was still pretty early in the day and we didn’t want to have any sugar crashes since we’d be walking a lot. I also don’t crave sweets during the day, only late night.  They had so many to choose from so it was hard.

GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE D.C. TLC

Those are some pretty pricey cupcakes! We got lucky because usually there is a line but there was no one in front of us when we got there.

GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE D.C. TLC

I love the Georgetown Cupcake show. It was neat being in the store! 🙂 It’s a lot smaller in person than what T.V. makes it out to be.

D.C. GEORGETOWN CUPCAKES STRAWBERRY

We went with the strawberry cupcake. The frosting was perfect! Fluffy, sweet, and light! The cupcake was really good too.

GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON D.C.

After walking the rest of Georgetown, we headed towards the Lincoln Memorial, White House & Washington Monument.

ARTS CENTER GEORGETOWN WASHINGTON D.C.

We passed a lot of neat places on the way.

WASHINGTON D.C. ARTS

This was a statue in front of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

EISENHOWER EXECUTIVE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON D.C.

It’s so fun to see D.C. for the first time because all of these places you recognize from T.V. and movies are right there in front of you.

ALBERT GALLATIN

All of the buildings were astonishing and so well kept. We chose a great day to walk around D.C. because it was very quiet and there were hardly any tourist out.

White House Visiting Washington D.C.

This was the coolest stop of the day. The White House! For some reason, I expected it to be a lot bigger! Karlee said the same thing too. It’s just cool to be standing next to a landmark that holds so much history from all the presidents who have lived there.

EXPLORING WASHINGTON D.C. SUMMER

We continued to walk on! I am usually not a water drinker, but I went through about six of these! It was HOT HOT HOT yesterday. I’m one of those people that get very “puffy” when it’s hot outside. It sounds funny but my face swells up like a blowfish when I’m hot. My face swells becuase the blood vessels widen, which is a mechanism to cool my body down. It’s happened to me since I was a little kid.

NATIONAL MONUMENT TOURING WASHINGTON D.C.

We finally made it to the Washington Monument! It was huge and if you stared at it from the sky, it looked like it was going to fall over!

NATIONAL MONUMENT WASHINGTON D.C. AMERICA

Being at the Washington Monument was breathtaking.

NATIONAL MONUMENT AMERICAN FLAG WASHINGTON D.C.

The American flags gave me the chills. Our country is truly beautiful.

NATIONAL MONUMENT WASHINGTON D.C.

There were all kinds of activities going on at the Monument. People were walking dogs, playing flag football, and having picnics.

WORLD WAR TWO MEMORIAL WASHINGTON D.C.

After the Washington Monument, we made our way to the World War 2 Memorial.

WORLD WAR TWO MEMORIAL WASHINGTON D.C.

Karlee and I joined the rest of the people and soaked our feet in the cold fountain water to cool down.

LINCOLN MEMORIAL SEGWAY TOUR

If you don’t like walking, the segway tour looked fun!

LINCOLN MEMORIAL WASHINGTON D.C.

I was shocked at how large Lincoln was…I always thought this was a smaller little statue, but it’s HUGE!

National Monument Lincoln Memorial Washington D.C.

The view from the Lincoln Memorial was gorgeous.

WASHINGTON D.C.

After we hit ten miles, we walked back to the Arlington Cemetery metro to head back and make dinner. We were all starving, blistered, swollen, and sunburnt!

WASHINGTON D.C. AIR

I had such a wonderful day and I can’t wait to explore more! Thank you guys for all the inside D.C. suggestions!

Comments

• Fana

Are Georgetown cupcakes really worth all the hype?

Reply to Fana
  • Erin

You may have addressed this in an older post, but what type of camera do you use for your photos? They’re breathtaking and so detailed, the quality is amazing!

Reply to Erin

I use all kinds of different cameras. I brought my little throw it in the bag tough olympus camera, somethings I use a cannon and sometimes I just use the phone! 🙂

• Tracy

If you’re still around tomorrow, check out Sushi Taro for lunch in Dupont (17th and P). It’s super expensive at night but they have amazingly affordable weekday lunch and HH specials. And of course, Jazz in the park on Fridays in the sculpture garden is a must try staple of the DC spring/summer culture (not to mention beautiful).

Reply to Tracy
  • Erin @ Brownie Bites Blog

Oh gosh, I remember how HOT it is in D.C. this time of year. I also swell and get really uncomfortable in hot and humid weather. We walked for hours and hours every day and it was pretty miserable but there was just sooo much to see and do!

Reply to Erin @ Brownie Bites Blog
  • Kristin

I live here in D.C. and it’s always great to see how everyone else views it. After reading this post and your Arlington Cemetery one it makes me feel like I take this place for granted. It’s truly a gem and there’s so much to do with never ending beauty. I’m glad you’re liking it here.
    P.S. Great Picture of the view from the Lincoln truly breathtaking.

Reply to Kristin
  • Cassie

So jelly you saw the Lincoln memorial! What a beautiful trip!

Reply to Cassie
  • ML Bishop

I have that same thing in hot weather- I hate it, I get all swollen and red..so I completely understand what you have happen! Looks like an awesome trip, I’m contemplating a trip to DC now, it looks like so much fun!!

Reply to ML Bishop
  • Kimberly

I love reading these post and you seem so happy. You need to travel more it seems

Reply to Kimberly
  • Bailey

I’m not sure if you will have time or not but you can call your local congressman’s office and ask if you can take a capitol tour from their office. One of the interns will usually give it and you get to skip the line and will learn a little bit of extra history about your state.

Reply to Bailey
  • Kathryn

You should go to Baked and Wired…their cupcakes,
    Cookies, coffee etc are out of this world!!

Reply to Kathryn
  • Lauren

Great photos-it looked like a fun weekend! I am not a big fan of Georgetown Cupcakes and prefer Baked and Wired (also in Georgetown) maybe for your next trip 🙂

Reply to Lauren
  • Louise

what sweet treats are you craving online late at night TL?!

Reply to Louise
  • Louise

Did you guys have lunch?

Reply to Louise
  • Rio

Your outfit is SO cute! Glad you’re having a good time in D.C.! x

Reply to Rio
  • Nicole

You need to make a trip to Founding Fathers! So good- everything is fresh and the food is amazing. On the weekends, we here in DC really like our brunch. El Centro (there are multiple locations- one in Georgetown right by Georgetown Cupcakes) or Le Diplomate are my favorites. They are on the pricey side- but unlimited drinks and food. Hope you have fun here!

Reply to Nicole
  • Maria J.

Lol that’s the Washington Monument! Glad you’re having fun in our fine city 🙂 you should check out some of the bars in foggy bottom at night!

Reply to Maria J.
  • Kimberly

Your posts always make me want to get out there and travel! I just put D.C. on my list.

Reply to Kimberly
  • Jackie

I went to DC last year for the Nike Woman’s Half Marathon and only had 1 full day to sightsee! We walked 10+ miles all over and saw as much as we could in one day! The Washington Monument will still closed for refurbishment, so we didn’t get too close….I’d love to go back and explore more. Thankfully the race course allowed for some more sightseeing! And now I want a DC Cupcake….Since we were doing the race we got a ton for running fuel! 😉
    Have fun!

Reply to Jackie

Wow I heard the Nike Half is fun! Congrats on that accomplishment! 🙂 You should definitely come back to see more!!

• Jackie

Thank you! 🙂 It was one of my favorite races! The Tiffany necklace medal maybe had something to do with it lol! Nike used to have the DC one and one in San Francisco, but they switched things up and added a ton of 15k’s all over the world and took away the DC event! Glad I got to do it once!

Reply to Jackie