Day at Centre Pompidou: Paris, City of Love.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Later in the Afternoon on my second day in Paris, I went to Centre Pompidou. It was one of the biggest museums I’ve ever been to. I only managed to get through a fourth of it and I was there for four hours.

I decided to start at the top, where they have a restaurant and a 360 degree view of the entire city of Paris.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The upstair walkways are like something out of the future. You walk and escalate through see-through tubes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And the views from the top are gorgeous.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I probably looked at over 500 pieces of art. So, I won’t be able to tell you much about them. But, if you’re interested, you can go to Centre Pompidou and read about the exhibits on their website. It’s in french, so you might want to open it up with Google Chrome and use google translations.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 10806872_776183209094924_1068321812_n

I thought about sitting with this man.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A lot of the exhibits I toured were about the world.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is called Outgrowth by Thomas Hirschhorn.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The artist gets inspired by political and social events and how they affect or destruct the earth. The piece above is made up of “contaminated” globes. There are photographs of crises in the world and the tape refers to the region theyre affecting. The name outgrowth refers tot he excess amount of crisis in our world. It’s outgrowing us.

“There are too many wars, too much violence, and too much injustice. The problem isn’t an absence, it isn’t a shortage, the problem is this excess and how to give form to it.”

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was also inspired by a lot of the artwork and want to do some pieces of my own soon.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After walking around Paris and the museum for hours, I found a quiet space overlooking the city and decided to just sit.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  ‘

And pray that my suitcase would come, because wearing the same clothes two days in a row isn’t ideal.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

While sitting in my little corner, I watched a couple of pigeons play in the rooftop water.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I continued to tour all of the artwork, but wanted to get back to the hostel before it got dark. (fail)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I took one last photo before going down the “future tubes”

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Outside of the museum, there is a giant square. I swear its the square of love.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Everyone was sitting with someone.

Enjoying a meal.

or a cigarette.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I love how the pigeons act like humans. They’re so tame; its disgusting.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m also kind of obsessed with how the French dress.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And to enlighten the mood for all of the couples in love, there was romantic music filling the streets.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

If you’re ever in Paris, you should make it a must to visit this museum.

Comments

• Rachel

I came across your Paris packing list on Pinterest and have loved reading all of your blogs about your trip! What is the name of the tan shoes in your picture with the purple jeans? Also, were they comfortable to walk in for long periods of time? I am going to Europe in May and have been trying to come up with the best walking shoes to bring besides my Birkenstocks!

Reply to Rachel

Hi Rachel! 🙂 Thank you very much 🙂 & they were just H&M for 14.95. I’m not sure if they still have them, but they were very comfy. I would definitely bring your most comfortable walking shoes that are tennis shoes. Or find a plain black shoe that is for walking! They’ll get very dirty.

• jackie

Will you be going back to France?

Reply to jackie
  • Cathy

WOW!
    Until now I just have seen the spectacular fountain in front of the museum, but now I know, that I definitively have to visit the museum and have a look inside!

Reply to Cathy
  • Lucie Aidart

Seems like they had some nice exhibitions. I went once, it was good, but I must say I am more into classical art.
    I do ove the building though!

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • ellie

I’m leaving this comment here because I couldn’t leave it on your recent food post (darn wordpress passwords!!) Anyway, are you going to tell us more about your trip?? I feel like your blog posts skipped around a lot. You never told us what happened with your missing luggage!

Reply to ellie
    • Karina

I agree. I want to hear more about France. You promised to do a seperate post about Notre Dame, and all the other things you did on your trip. It’s such a fantastic opportunity to take your blog to the next level with international travel. Don’t let it pass by with only a few rushed posts

Reply to Karina

I have only been back for four days and I have been trying to get things done around here. I do plan on doing those posts when I have the time.

• Katie

I’m confused… weren’t you supposed to post this on Lucie’s blog?

Reply to Katie

During the exchange we were supposed to post at least 3 blogs on each others blogs. Now that the trip is over, we have returned to our blogs.

• Cami

This is a beautiful post with all your pictures! I was only in Paris for a day when I visited, so needless to say I’d like to go back and experience more. Speaking of the way the French dress, have you explored the French Wardrobe philosophy? They believe in investing in a few, quality pieces of clothing and not buying into trends. I think that’s why the French always look so timeless and fabulous!
    Cami

Camelldalynn.com

Reply to Cami
  • Marie Alessandra

Haha so cute how all the people are just sitting there 🙂

Reply to Marie Alessandra
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

I loved the Centre Pompidou when I visited!! So glad you got to enjoy it!

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out
  • Linda @ the Fitty

Did you experience lots of new foods like exotic cheeses and exotic whine?

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Chelsea Huckabay

Aw, I love how Parisian fashion is so cute! The birds were like that when I went to Florence, Italy as well. They would land on you and sit on your shoulders. I secretly loved it.

Reply to Chelsea Huckabay