65 Calorie Teriyaki Cheddar Chicken Burgers!

SAID EVERYONE

Someone:What do you want for dinner tonight?

Someone Else: I don’t care, whatever you want.

Someone: It’s up to you.

Someone Else: I don’t care.

Someone: You Choose

Someone Else: No, you choose.

Someone: Tacos

Someone Else: No, I’m not in the mood for tacos

Someone: THEN YOU CHOOSE!

Someone Else: I’ll eat whatever.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Have you ever had a conversation like the one above? I feel like this happens almost every night. And sometimes it’s hard to come up with dinner ideas that everyone likes or is in the mood for. Usually, I just go for the punch and make what I think everyone will like.

Last night, I saved the “what I want/you want” conversation and made chicken cheddar teriyaki burgers. When I was younger, my Uncle Rich made teriyaki burgers on the grill and they were phenomenal, so my chicken burger recipe is originated from his. If you have picky eaters in the house, I promise they won’t be picky about these! (maybe the onions) They are so so so good. I was pretty impressed with how well they came out without using ground beef.

I honestly can’t wait to see what you all think of these chicken burgers. I am already planning on making them in the form of meatballs for a healthy football appetizer, or bringing them to grill at a tailgate. They’d go great in a lettuce wrap, whole wheat bun, or over a giant salad.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You will need: **1 1/2 lbs ground chicken, **1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used dairy-free), **2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, **2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar,  **2 teaspoons beef bouillon/ or better than beef bouillon, **1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, **1 egg white, **1/4 cup diced onion, **1 tablespoon ground flaxseed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In a mixing bowl, add ground chicken and the egg white.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Add the better than beef bouillon and the cheese.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I usually use low sodium teriyaki sauce, but bought the gluten free version because Emilee was eating the burgers.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Add the onion, brown sugar,  and pepper to the bowl.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Mix all the ingredients together.

Add flaxseed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Heat an indoor grill, or frying pan to 400. You can make these on an outdoor grill too. Or you can bake them in the oven like meatballs.

Add 1/4 cup sized burgers to the grill.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Close the grill and let them cook for about 4-5 minutes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Cut into the middle of one to determine if they’re done.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This recipes makes about 16 burgers.

I made corn on the cob and broccoli sweet potato parm salad on the side.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Nutrition Per Chicken Burger: 65 Calories, 4 g Carbs, 2 g Fat, 8 g Protein, 2 g Sugar

Comments

• Brandi

I just tried these perfect little patties out and reviewed the recipe over at http://www.eatloveplank.com. I simply love Taralynn’s spunk and creative recipes. This one is a winner!

Reply to Brandi
  • April Cady

Made these tonight and they are delicious! This is a keeper 🙂 Thanks for sharing, keep up the awesome work!

Reply to April Cady
  • Margaret

making these tonight, can I leave out the flaxseed?

Reply to Margaret
  • Lesley

Made these last night (with turkey instead of chicken) with kohlrabi fries. Soo good! The boyfriend ate two he liked them so much. Will defintely repeat this recipe!

Reply to Lesley
  • Jordan

I am always on the lookout for a low calorie food item that I can actually cook. This is so it! Thanks!

Reply to Jordan
  • Wendy S

Taralynn! These burgers are just amazing!!! I made them early this week and have been eating them for lunch every day (on a bed of lettuce with roasted red peppers, tomato and avocado – YUMMM!) It’s just a flavor you can’t get sick of! You are so inspiring! Thank you thank you!! 🙂

Reply to Wendy S
  • Atheena B

I made this, last weekend. Needless to say, they didn’t make it through the whole weekend. They were sooooo gooood. I might have to make some more this weekend because they were too good. THanks for the recipe!!!

Reply to Atheena B
  • Julie @ Run Away Freckles

I made these last night for dinner and they were awesome! Man approved too!

Reply to Julie @ Run Away Freckles
  • Van

Taralynn, I made this for lunch & it was so yummy! Didn’t have beef bouillon or better than beef buillon on hand, but I used a beef paste which we used for soups like pho instead, also swiss cheese because I love swiss-still turned out delicious! I read your blog almost every day & you are such an inspiration & motivation for me to choose to eat healthier & just go out there & jog around the neighborhood. I love your adventures (outings) too!

Reply to Van
  • Elizabeth @ Champagne On Mondays

If you made them in the oven, what temperature and how long would you cook them?

Looks great, thanks for the recipe!

Reply to Elizabeth @ Champagne On Mondays
  • Ashlee

Is there an alternative to using brown sugar? Would a sugar substitute work?

Reply to Ashlee
  • Shelley

Haha I have that convo every single night!!! These look so good and healthy!

Reply to Shelley
  • Brianna

What kind of Dairy-Free cheese did you use? The kinds that I have tried always taste like cardboard. 🙁

Reply to Brianna
  • Julie @ Run Away Freckles

These look so good! I am going to try them out this weekend. Do you think the flax seed is necessary?

Reply to Julie @ Run Away Freckles
  • Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy

Probably the most common and annoying conversation I’ve ever had some someone! I like people with an opinion. 🙂

Reply to Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy