Saturday Breakfast: Cheesy Vegetable Scramble

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I am back in the kitchen once again. Time to lay off the restaurants and focus on cooking up delicious, simple, and healthy meals. My parents are here for a couple more days. They have been Saints helping me set up my apartment. Yesterday, we went shopping for furniture and didn’t have much luck. I did get my bed and mattresses, but no couch. That is the mission today after the guy comes to set up my cable and internet. Moving in is great, but so stressful with so much to do all at once.

Before we set out on our shopping adventure, I made breakfast for the family.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You will need: red bell peppers, green bell peppers, red onion, white onion, squash, six eggs, olive oil, and Mexican cheese blend.

I have to post my kabob recipe, but I will soon. I had some leftover vegetables from the kabobs and decided to put them into an egg scramble. All together, it was about five cups of chopped vegetables.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAย OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I sautรฉed them with garlic olive oil spritzer. When I make eggs for more than one person, I usually ย crack two eggs per person. That usually makes enough.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After the vegetables were sautรฉed, I greased a frying pan and poured 3/4 cup of the egg into it. I’m an impatient person and cook my eggs on a higher heat. I know you’re not supposed to, but I’m a rule breaker.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I covered the egg until the sides started to cook on top.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I poured 2 cups of the vegetables into the egg pan.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I added 1/4 cup of Mexican cheese on top.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And completely failed the omelet flip and decided to make it a scramble. I’m sure it’s the food God punishing me for cooking my eggs on high.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So, I decided to make the rest of them scrambles.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I made papa bear, momma bear, and baby bear a plate of their own ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t have a toaster yet, so I put the bread in the oven to toast. It actually worked pretty well. It’s a waste of energy though, so I’ll need to invest in the new toaster.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What is your favorite way to cook eggs?

Comments

• kel

yuuuuuum

Reply to kel
  • Natasha

I always start out planning to make an omelette…when I fail, I tell myself it was meant to be scrambled eggs from the beginning. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply to Natasha
  • Ashley

I made something like this, but I use onion, garlic, spinach, and green pepper, cheese, turkey sausage. I just cut up the pieces small for my boyfriend and I and sauteed them. Once they are about soft enough I crack 4 eggs and get those little umbilical cord looking things off the eggs because it grosses me out!! Then I mix the eggs, put them on the frying pan and then toss the veggies on top and just mix it around till its scrambled (: Not much different than yours, but I think putting spinach and turkey sausage in is so good (:

Reply to Ashley
  • Jaime

Made this yesterday morning and it was delicious! I usually add veggies to my eggs but never sautรฉ them beforehand. Clearly that’s the trick to bringing out the flavor! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Jaime
  • Kristen

Tara! This is a little random but after you are all moved into your new place, would you mind doing a photo tour? I know this doesn’t have a lot to do with healthy cooking (healthy living perhaps?) but I am moving soon too and would love to see how you decorated your place! I have the worst time sticking to one theme and my place ends up looking like I bought up an entire flea market. You have great style so I am sure your place will look nice! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Kristen
  • Hallie

This looks so delicious! Where did you get your dining table? I also live in an apartment in NC and it looks like the perfect size, as I’m currently going table-less. Thanks!

Reply to Hallie
  • Jamie @ ThatDoctorGirl

I just moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago..moving. is. the. worst. Also, I found a really cute sofa-bed at Walmart. I know, Walmart is not exactly fine furniture, but it gets the job done and it looks great!

Reply to Jamie @ ThatDoctorGirl
  • Kendra

There is a place in hickory nc called the hickory furniture mart. They have TONS of furniture.. All different brands/prices ( Bassett, laze boy, etc).. They can even do customizable pieces that are built locally and are amazing work! http://www.hickoryfurniture.com/. I highly recommended checking it out!

Reply to Kendra
  • Anna

You should look into a toaster oven! It’s really great for reheating leftovers and making single serving baked things like pizza too. They make some that have a toaster slot in back or you can just use the oven part (but you have to watch the toast pretty closely if you do that).

I got really lucky with a great couch on Craigslist. Just make sure that its really comfy and that grumples will like it! It’s weird but seeing my pets enjoy my apartment and furniture makes me so happy!

Reply to Anna
  • Kacie

Looks yummy! Have you tried toasting your bread on the stove? That’s my husband’s favorite way to eat it. Just heat it on the pan while you’re cooking your eggs:-)

Reply to Kacie
  • Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy

Talk about the ultimate omlette!

Reply to Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
  • Kelly

Check out Furniture Factory Outlet in Waxhaw for your couch. The place is huge and cheap!

Reply to Kelly
  • Livi

Scrambles are so delicious and simple!

Reply to Livi
  • Leigha @ The Yooper Girl

Yum! Today I had my family over for brunch and I made homemade cinnamon rolls, homemade bagels, a veggie quiche, and a breakfast pizza! Along with some fresh fruit ๐Ÿ™‚ it was so good and I’m so full!

Reply to Leigha @ The Yooper Girl
  • shannon

most ways really, I like having boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick snack, or sometimes as lunch (or part of lunch).

Like scrambled if I had to pick one way only.

Good luck on furniture shopping!

Reply to shannon
  • Jenn

Ugh, I hear you on the couch thing. I just moved into my first place and it took me a few stores to finally find a couch I liked. And THEN they couldn’t deliver it for 2 weeks so I was sitting on the floor to eat.

I love eggs with spicy things in them! Eggs can be pretty bland, so I usually throw in jalapeรฑos. During the week I scramble them with cheddar cheese, but on weekends when I have more time I do an omelette with goat cheese, jalapeรฑos, and pinto beans. Mmmm.

This recipe looks awesome! I love how you sneak your veggies into your eggs. They go together so yummy!

Reply to Jenn