Teriyaki Chicken Salad with Pico & Bourbon Broccoli!

10365983_700448216668424_928820570888165312_n

I’m one of those people that can’t eat their feelings. I don’t ย get pleasure out of watching sappy movies, listening to depressing music, or drinking up a storm when it comes to dealing with hard times. The only thing that works is a good workout. It makes me feel energized, happy, and strong. I started yesterday morning with a good walk with Grumples, had an afternoon run, and great walk with Samantha in the evening and another walk with Grumps at midnight. (don’t worry, I had my stun gun.) That is how I deal with emotions and it’s the best form of release. I do want you all to know that your support has meant so much to me. It’s incredible how people you’ve never met can build you up and make you realize it’s going to be OK.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I think having amazing friends here in Charlotte has a lot to do with it as well. I’m getting mixed feelings about leaving. I might hold off until after the summer and just slowly move my stuff into my new apartment down there. We’ll see.

Last night after our walk, we made dinner together.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We had teriyaki chicken, steamed bourbon broccoli, andย a side salad. The salad had Pico, Italian dressing, Mexican Cheese, and pepper.

*For the chicken, I marinated it in low sodium teriyaki sauce for a couple hours. I then added it to a greased baking sheet and baked each side for 10 minutes on 375 degrees. I made a ton last night, so we can eat it throughout the week.

*The broccoli was steamed, and then sautรฉed up in a frying pan with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and *1 tbsp of bourbon marinade.

*You can find myย Pico Recipe Hereย

10422336_700447926668453_830636994277468631_n

We ate out on the patio together (while Grumples creeped around the table) After dinner, I took Grumps for a long walk.

Comments

• Jenni

You’re so amazing Taralynn! I’ve been battling thyroid cancer since January which requires me to live a very healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, I LOVE to eat my feelings! Mix that with dealing with an extremely emotional disease and spiraling out of control is a regular habit. When ever I need to get my head back in the game I visit your website and everything falls back into place. Not only have your recipes and posts helped me stay on track but your attitude and the way you carry yourself can put a smile on anyone’s face! You’re like a super hero to me and I think I can speak for all of your fans when I say THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU!!!! Always remember that where there is no struggle, there is no strength! This is just another bump in the road that will only make you stronger and wiser ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxoxo

Reply to Jenni
  • Alyssa

Aw, you are so inspiring. I know you guys have been together for a long long time so I imagine you have a lot of emotions. It’s inspiring to hear that you do healthy things to cope instead of turning to food/alcohol/etc. You’ve got plenty of girlfriends that are there for you so I know in the end you will be just fine! Keep up the great work.

Reply to Alyssa
  • Katie

Its amazing that you’re going through this and still manage to motivate and inspire the rest of us – I know personally I’d be in my bed telling everyone to go away ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you for all you do for us! (BTW – I moved to Charlotte to escape my “Hard time” – never looked back!)

Reply to Katie
  • Megan

Hey pretty girl!

I was just catching up on your blog & reading your Charleston posts – I am heading there in a week! I just read this post & was so excited because I am from Charlotte! I’m moving to Texas in June and I am really going to miss this city! Hope that you have a great time in the Queen City & know that somebody out there is inspired by you & saying a prayer for peace, energy, hope & that you know how much you are loved and a positive force in many lives!

Take care of yourself & your heart! lots of <3,

Megan

Reply to Megan
  • Sandra

What’s going on. Where is Jeremy.

Reply to Sandra
  • Jaime

I’ve been going through a hard time too and walking and running are the only things that really help! It makes falling asleep so much easier too. I’m glad you’re keeping up with it. It helps to motivate me ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Jaime
  • Brittany @ DulceVie

Stay strong Tara ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s great that you are focusing on yourself through exercising! Whenever I am sad or even mad, going out on a run always seems to help. I guess it clears my mind and makes me feel strong. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon ๐Ÿ™‚ Just keep doing you.

Reply to Brittany @ DulceVie
  • Jade

What a great recovery plan! Long walks and good friends is the perfect breakup formula! We are all here for you! You are such a strong and inspiration person– the least we can all do is reach out to you during this tough time and help build you up!

Reply to Jade
  • Ashley

Girl…I just make make this for dinner! Thank ya!! Also, I want to tell you that I went through a divorce when I was 25. I had a 3 year old baby, and I had given my husband everything. I was devastated when our marriage ended. I had not finished school, I didn’t have a job because I stayed home with our son. I was at my lowest of lows and did not handle it very well. However, I did bounce back and I am rocking it. I went back to school, got a great job, and being the best mother I can be to my now 5 year old son. And VERY happy. The point of me telling you this is that right now it may seem like the the hurt will never go away, but I promise that it will. I know our stories are different, and I am not 100% sure what you are going through, just wanted to encourage you and let you that “this to shall pass.” Keep up with your healthy lifestyle girl!!

Reply to Ashley
  • Kat

Can you bottle that philosophy? I’ll take a case, please!

Reply to Kat
  • Aimee Boogaard

Coping with exercise is a much better way of coping than eating, drinking or drugging yourself up. Take care of yourself for now, and things will get better ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Aimee Boogaard
  • Christina

I’m so glad you have such a healthy emotional release–physical movement and endogenous endorphins can work miracles. Please just make sure that you are getting in enough calories to support multiple workouts a day. We would all hate to see your health take a downturn during this difficult time. Sending you tons of support and well wishes <3

Reply to Christina
  • Livi

A good long walk or run alone or with a friend is definitely my favorite way to process emotions!

Reply to Livi