Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies!

P1010143

St. Patricks day is coming up and so are all the parties that follow! To be honest, I never liked St. Patricks day. People are always trying to pinch you, leprechauns are scary, and I don’t like the color green unless it’s grass and yummy vegetables. But I do like that St Patricks day means spring is almost here!

I thought that some of you could use a delicious cookie recipe for your St. Patricks’ day parties! I’ll be keeping mine in the refrigerator and eating throughout the week while I pack. They are super good!

P1010160

I was obsessed with my avocado brownies and how they came out, so I decided to do a chocolate avocado cookie. The recipe is different, but you still can’t taste the avocado! I promise. I chose to use a gluten free flour because a lot of you ask for it! If you don’t want gluten free, go ahead and use regular whole wheat flour.

P1010073

Ingredients: *dark chocolate m&ms,  *3 medium eggs or 2 large eggs, *4 tbsps coconut oil, *1 tsp vanilla extract, *1 tsp baking soda, *1/2 tbsp baking powder, *2 medium/small ripe avocados, *1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour, *1 cup baking stevia in the raw, *3/4 cup unsweetened coco powder.

P1010075

Add avocado to a mixing bowl. You will need your electric mixer or a blender to mash the avocado.

P1010077

Mix the avocado until it forms a guacamole/butter texture.

P1010080

Mix in the eggs and vanilla.

P1010086

Mix in the unsweetened cocoa powder.

P1010091

Make sure all the clumps are out and the batter is nice and smooth.

P1010096

Melt the coconut oil and add it to the mixing bowl.

P1010098

Stir in the baking soda and baking powder.

P1010100

Measure the flour and add it to the bowl. You can use whole wheat flour or gluten free flour.

P1010102

Mix for about 2 minutes.

P1010113

Stir in the stevia. You can replace it with 1 cup of sugar or 1/2 cup of honey.

P1010106

The batter will resemble frosting. Keep it covered in the refrigerator for one hour to firm.

P1010118

I chose m&m’s for my topping. I wanted to use mint chips on top but the grocery store didn’t have them.

P1010122

I used the green and brown ones to represent St. Patrick’s day. You could use any topping you want for any holiday.

P1010123

After the dough is firm, scoop tablespoon sized cookies and place them on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to flatten down the dough. To be safe, I greased the baking sheet.

P1010129

Top the cookies with m&ms. You can stir chocolate chips into the batter to make it extra chocolatly.

P1010148

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

P1010150

They are best served cold. I kept them in the refrigerator for at least and hour before eating and they were so fudgy!

P1010158Nutrition Per Cookie

40 Calories, 4 g Carbs, 2.5 g Fat, 1 g Protein, 2 g Sugar

Comments

• Charline

Hello Taralynn,

Thank you for this recipe and for your blog, I love it!

I made the cookies, they tasted awesome! I made an article about it on my blog:

It’s in French, I’m Parisian 🙂

Reply to Charline
  • Kassie

Taralynn,
    Your a beautiful girl!
    Your story has inspired me and my life.
    If it wasn’t for you, I would still be the same heavy girl I am today.
    Thank you for believing in yourself because that let me do the same. You made me confident and dedicated enough to not let anyone get in the way of being healthy and doing what I wanted to do to reach my girl.
    You’ve inspired so many people and lives, your life has been such a testimony to me .
    I will forever follow your blog! Your amazing and you continue to bless me by your wonderful posts!!!
    God bless,
    Kassie<3

Reply to Kassie
  • Manu

Hi Taralynn! Thak you so much for this wonderful recipe 🙂
    I’d tried and love it. I want make them to my boyfriend but he is allergic to avocado, Could I substitute it with banana? or pumpkim pure? just like in your pupkim brownie

Reply to Manu
  • Samantha

Thank you for putting down alternatives to the stevia. It gives me awful migraines so I only use raw honey, pure maple syrup, and palm sugar in my house for sweetners. I hope you continue to add those to your recipes because it is difficult to equate what 1 packet of stevia is to another sweetner for example.

Reply to Samantha
  • Anna

I think you forgot the measurement for cocoa powder! I’m going to guess 1/2 cup since I didn’t bother to look before I started baking. I’m sure they will be great anyway!

Reply to Anna
  • Gloria Boles

Love your recipes. However I do wish you would offer a printable format so I could keep them for future use and to take to the store for ingredients. Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work !!

Reply to Gloria Boles
  • Sarah

How many cookies does this make? Mine made 32 and had no m&m but when I calculated calories per cookie it was 55 calories

Reply to Sarah
  • Lindsey B

Made these yesterday, so good! I was a little nervous since I don’t care for avocados, but they were great. Everyone was excited to try them =)
    I used liquid stevia extract as the sweetener and it worked well!

Reply to Lindsey B
  • Jenna

So my mom has read a lot about nutrition from different sources and has found that artificial sweeteners can actually be physiologically worse for you than pure sugar. Is there something different about Stevia?

Also, I love your blog and all of the gluten-free recipes!! Thanks a lot 🙂

Reply to Jenna
  • Julianne

Hey Taralynn! I love your blog and I am wondering what kind of gluten free flour this is/where you got it?

Reply to Julianne
  • Kandi

Why do the cookies need to be refrigerated? Do they just taste better that way or is it because of the avocado?

Reply to Kandi
  • Haley

How many cookies per batch?

Reply to Haley
  • Katie

How long would these keep in the fridge?

Reply to Katie
  • Livi

These look awesome!

Reply to Livi
  • Nicole

Hi! So, I’m just curious.. on the Stevia in the Raw bags it has a conversion from real sugar to stevia. For your recipe is it 1 cup of stevia plain and simple or should i be looking at the conversions from a cup of sugar? Thanks!

Reply to Nicole
  • Megan A.

Hi! I’m dying to try and make these cookies! Just a question, instead of GF flour, can I use rice flour? In Mexico is so hard to find (and rather expensive) that flour, and since I’m gluten intolerant, I can’t use whole wheat. 🙁

Thanks!

Reply to Megan A.
  • Stephanie

What type of gluten free flour is that?! I am looking for a new one!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Leigha @ Minougirl

These look SOOO yummy! I bet they’d be a great preworkout snack! I’ve gotta try avocado in baking.

Reply to Leigha @ Minougirl
  • Megan

How many cookies will this make?

Reply to Megan
  • Mariah

These look amazing, Taralynn! I can’t wait to get some avocado so I can try these cookies and your brownies. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe! God bless you!

Reply to Mariah