Perfect Day for Wine Tasting in the Park With Mom

Since I won’t be home for Mother’s Day, I thought it would be so fun to try out a Bright Cellars box with my mom! I’m not great at choosing wines, and that’s why Bright Cellars is excellent and convenient for people like me. I’m so excited to partner up with them today to talk about their monthly wine subscription designed to help you discover new wines you’ll personally love by selecting them and having them delivered straight to your door!
When I asked my mom if she wanted to try out some wine with me, she was so excited. I looked forward to taste-testing the wines and pairing them with different foods.

You know how I always talk about trying new coffee roasts? Well, her and my dad do the same with their wine. Sometimes, I pick up a new bottle when I’m traveling for them to try. My parent’s love for wine goes all the way back to the beginning when they first met. They met on a ship in Italy over 35 years ago and spent many nights bonding over big plates of spaghetti and bottles of wine. I wish I knew as much about wine as they did, but it’s fun to learn from them.

Bright Cellars subscription offers top wines from around the world so that I can have that “traveling” experience at home.

To get started, you take a quiz with easy questions like “what’s your favorite type of chocolate?” After taking the quiz, Bright Cellars recommends four top wines that you’re most likely to enjoy based on your answers!

When the wine arrived, it came in a highly secure package! You won’t have to worry about any broken bottles, but just make sure you or someone 21+ is at the door to sign!
I thought it would be so much fun to pack a picnic basket filled with cute little charcuterie startups to go with the Bright Cellars wine. There is a park close to my house that was in full bloom. I knew it would be the perfect spot to have a little picnic with my mom so we could try all the wines together.

The subscription model is very convenient. You cancel your shipment at any time before it goes out, or you can just keep the new bottles coming! If I know I have company coming; I’m going to be getting a subscription box to help me pick out different wines to keep in my house!
I packed the basket with specialty cheeses, meats, mixed nuts, pepper jelly, olives, crackers, black licorice (our favorite), dark chocolate, and some other special goodies.
After taking the quiz, Bright Cellars recommended four wines for my box. I loved the variety of whites and reds.

MY NOTES

Mojave Rain Merlot 2016

We loved the fruity undertones and smooth taste of this Merlot. It was rich, but not too strikingly sweet.

Mojave Rain Zinfandel 2016

The Zinfandel was my favorite of the four. Whenever I order wine on special occasions, I always go for a Zinfandel. It was light and had a recognizable plum flavor.

Quinte Royale Queen of Spades Chardonnay 2016

I typically like Chardonnay if I have to go for a white wine because it’s less sweet. I liked how light and refreshing this bottle was. I kind of got a hint of peach and oak flavors in each sip.

Voyage dans le Vent Sauvignon Blanc 2016

The first sip was earthy and fresh.

Bright Cellars personize them to your taste palate. You can take the quiz to see your wine matches and get 50% off your first shipment 🙂

The more wines you review, the better your matches get each month! And if you have favorites, mark them so you can get a notification when they go on sale.

The way it matches up wine to your unique taste buds is by using an algorithm, created by the founders (two MIT grads with a passion for wine) to identify 18 wine attributes and selects wines from around the world that are a perfect fit. It’s called the “Bright Points Algorithm.”

Bright Cellars is so confident with their algorithm that they’ll send a free replacement bottle in your next shipment if you’re not in love with the bottles in your box. Their wine concierges will also help you change your preferences to prevent it from happening again. They truly want you to Discover The Wine You Love!

Bright Cellars wine concierges (also their awesome customer service) are all educated in the wine world and love talking all things wine with customers.
One of our favorite parts about wine is the packaging. I’d be lying if I said I never bought a bottle of wine based on the label design.

Bright Cellars makes it easy to learn about wine in an approachable and unpretentious way. I loved the Vino vocabulary and the extra drink recipes they had on the card.
Bright Cellars is a great way to step out of your comfortable box and try something new by helping you select wines you may not have picked up off the shelf on your own.

My mom brought up a great point. She has a really cool wine rack that she likes to fill when guests are over, and this would be a great way to gradually fill up her wine rack with all kinds of unique bottles from around the world.
Take the quiz to see your wine matches and get 50% off your first shipment! Let me know which wines you get paired with in the comment section!

Questions for you!

1. Which wine did you get paired with after taking the quiz?
  2. Red or White wine?
  3. Where is your favorite place to have a glass of wine?

This post was sponsored by Bright Cellars, and as always, ALL opinions are my own!

Comments

• Zoe Dunn

Hi Taralynn,

Your parents seem so lovely and I love the way you’re close to your family. Your mum is beautiful and you’ve very alike – I envy you both your beautiful thick hair!
    What you share in your blog is great – and of course it’s appropriate for you to choose what you do and don’t include – that goes without saying obviously….

Reply to Zoe Dunn
  • Gail

I love Bright Cellars! Your mom’s idea of filling the wine rack was genius.

Reply to Gail
  • haley

I can’t wait to give this a try! Thanks for the review.

Reply to haley
  • Kaye

Why didn’t you do this with Kyle?

Reply to Kaye

Because I did it with my mom? lol

• Kaye

Just seems like ya’ll don’t do much together. Are you still dating?

Reply to Kaye

Did you read my last recap post?

• Kaye

Funny you can’t just answer yes or no. Yes, I did read it. You posted one random shirtless picture with him and allegedly played tennis (photo of yourself). Seems disproportionate considering you take pictures of everything else you do and he barely makes appearances or your vague about him.

Reply to Kaye

If we broke up, why would I post a photo of him kissing my cheek saying “I love you?” I don’t understand how you’re confused. I don’t talk about Kyle on my blog a lot because I like keeping his life private. I don’t feel as if I really need to defend myself with this. It’s silly lol Kyle and I are dating, and I’m going to always be vague about him on the blog.

• Jen

I think it’s a fair question. You Valentine’s Day post with him isn’t what most would consider “vague”.
                I don’t understand the defensiveness when one of your reader asks a question? You choose to put so many details of your life out there, and your relationship is presumably a huge part of your life. People are going to ask!

Reply to Jen
              • Hale

People are way too invested in your life. It’s refreshing that you keep Kyle off the blog instead of all these other bloggers parading their boyfriends around. It’s nice to see someone have respect for their significant other. I love your blog the way it is, Taralynn! These people are just trolls.

Reply to Hale
  • Susie

Happy early Mother’s Day to your mama! She is beautiful and you are a sweet and thoughtful daughter. Hope you have a great time in Hawaii!

After taking the wine quiz I was paired up with Good Day Rosé 2016, which sounds right up my alley. I don’t know how to pick wine either, but I know I like my wine light, crisp and just a bit sweet.

I wish I loved white wine since it’s more forgiving on the teeth, but I’m all about the red! My favorite way to enjoy a glass (or two) is at home on my couch when The Bachelor, or any other show that I watch without my husband and kids, is on. Love it!

Reply to Susie
  • Ann

Crypsis Red Bkend 2016 was my first best match! So true too, I love dark red blends that have a very spicy note to them…YUM! Wine anywhere is great but I really love just being home eating dinner or hanging out with it! You always have the best gifts for people, even if it’s just a visit! Sweet! 💜

Reply to Ann
  • Katie

Ohhh this looks like so much fun! The perfect mother daughter date!! 🙂
    XO, Katie | http://www.meshkomoments.com

Reply to Katie
  • Rosanne…:)

Boy Tara, your mom sure is gorgeous! I can see where you get your good looks! Sure looks like you had a great day!

Reply to Rosanne...:)
  • Haley

This is a great idea! I will have to try Bright Cellars.

I thought you didn’t drink?

Reply to Haley

Thanks!

I don’t “get drunk”, but I don’t find anything wrong with sipping wines. I love pairing them with foods and the experience, but you won’t find me turning to wine for a buzz at the end of the day. I will sip it with meals though when it’s paired.

• ruby

i love this tara! your mom must be so happy and you too! great photos thanks for review 🙂

Reply to ruby
  • Linda @ the Fitty

I don’t drink wine at all but I can’t wait to hear your mother’s day recap when it goes up 🙂

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

The picnic set up looks beautiful! ❤️My family doesn’t drink alcohol (not even wine, haha!) but it looks like you had a lovely day with your Mum! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog