Have You Found Your “Fitness Happy?”

Good Morning & Happy

I just got back from a chilly morning run. I have been making a lot of changes to my fitness routine lately. I’ve talked about it in some posts, but I just want to update you all on how I’m feeling.

The answer? Incredible.

I’m sure many of you can relate to overworking yourself, not fueling your body properly, or the frustration of getting injuries.

For the past couple of months, I’ve had to sit back and reevaluate the way I was doing things. Why was I getting injured so often? Why was I stressed out so much? Why was I feeling low on energy? 1. I wasn’t fueling myself properly as soon as I finished working out. 2. I was overdoing it.  We are only given one body, so we have to listen to it, take breaks, and recoup. I don’t believe in inactivity, but I believe in finding what works best for you. Luckily, I think I finally figured it out.
I’m excited to be partnering up with Core Power again for a blog post. We share a lot of the same values when it comes to taking care of your body, fueling it properly and giving it what it wants, needs, and deserves.

Core Power is a milk-based high- protein recovery drink for fitness goers at all levels of ability. It tastes really good, too! It’s ideal for building lean muscle and replenishing yourself after physical activity. This is a great choice if you want a quick on the go post-workout drink. It comes in four tasty flavors with a short ingredient list (which is hard to find in protein drinks nowadays.)
To live a healthy lifestyle, you have to love your choice of fitness. It can take a while to figure it all out, but you eventually will. Everyone has a routine that works best for them. Don’t make the mistake of trying to live everyone else’s fitness lifestyle. You need to create one that works best for you. I learned the hard way when I tried to keep up with the people around me.

For me, fitness has to be fun! My heart rate needs to be moderate, I need to be in nature, and it needs to be comfortable. I started going to the gym and participating in HIIT workouts five days a week. If you are familiar with HIIT workouts, you know they are meant for once or twice a week. They are intended to push you to your limits. I started to get burned out on fitness, my muscles were constantly aching, I felt so stressed, and it turned into a chore. I learned real quick that just because my friends were doing HIIT that often didn’t mean that I was cut out for it. It was time for me to find another route. I wasn’t going to stop working out, or give up on fitness. I was going to change up the recipe.
I thought about the things I enjoy.

I love sports. I love being outside, running, walking the dogs, hiking, and calming exercises like yoga.

I decided to trade in my overwhelming amount of HIIT workouts for more hikes, long dog walks, bike rides, hours of playing tennis and doing strength training at my own pace. I have never been more motivated to get out and go.

Fitness IS truly for everyone. You just have to find your “fitness happy.”
My family and my boyfriend have noticed a big difference in my mood lately. I feel happier that’s for sure! Even yoga, walking, hiking, and playing sports require proper post-workout food for a healthy recharge. Sometimes we spend hours out on the trails or hours on the tennis court. Every bottle of Core Power has 26g of high-quality complete protein.

There are 26g of high-quality complete protein, which comes from the milk itself. You won’t find any added chalky protein powders in this drink. Each bottle of Core Power contains the two types of naturally occurring protein found in milk: whey (20%) and casein (80%).

Core Power is sold in many stores all over the country! It can also be purchased on Amazon! Check it out here

Core Power comes in Banana, Strawberry Banana, Chocolate, and Vanilla flavors.
I’d love to challenge you all on taking the time to figure out your fitness happy. You may be the type of person that loves to have a power hour every day, a light swim in the morning, or a hot yoga session. It’s important to find out and do what makes you happy. You will be more successful in the long run.

I created a list of rules for myself. They may help you as well!

Treat your body with kindness.

Feed and recharge it with what it wants and deserves.

Listen to it.

Rest.

Challenge it, but don’t push it to uncomfortable limits.

Choose activities that relieve stress.

Don’t compare your fitness level to anyone else.

Try new things.

Believe that you can.

Don’t ever give up.

Find your fitness happy.
Questions for you!

1. Have you figured out your “fitness happy?”
2. Have you tried Core Power yet?
3. How do you define your #EverdayAwesome?

This is sponsored post with Core Power! Thank you for reading & ALL opinions are my own!

Comments

• Carly T

These are such great pictures of you and the boys! Such photogenic dogs!!

I’ve recently discovered my fitness happy is to not plan too much and mix it up! If I don’t I get stressed about missing a class or a workout or just get bored doing the same thing!

I haven’t had the chance to try core power yet, but it sounds great!

I think #EverdayAwesome is making the best day it can be! Trying to focus on the positive no matter how small and truly just appreciating the good in each day!

Reply to Carly T
  • Jenna

I have not found a fitness happy yet. Hiking would be amazing but there’s no where to hike around here. It’s extremely flat and I live on an Island… I have a gym membership but I think I went to hard to fast because now I dread going back.
    I have tried Core Power, I tried it after your last post about it. I really liked it, but I drank it after an hour workout, but only drank half because I was worried I was consuming too much sugar after the gym.
    #everydayawesome I’m not sure yet…

Reply to Jenna
  • Tara

I just recently quit CrossFit! I was doing it because all of my friends loved it, but I hated it! I now go for walks with my dogs and do a lot of yoga.

Reply to Tara
  • Harriet

Such a gear post!! I haven’t tried core power yet but will definitely give it a try. Fitness happy is great once you find it, it took me about a year, I love being out doors so that was a big factor with finding the right balance, so 3 days crossfit, 2 runs a week, walk my dog 5kms a day and a hike on Saturdays, with one day fully dedicated to rest and hot pools, but I never pick my rest day I listen to how my body it feeling then decide.

Reply to Harriet
  • Liz

What a great post! I know you have talked about this in previous posts and it really is something I relate to. This is something that I have recently realized and am trying to incorporate more activities that I actually enjoy into my fitness routine. Otherwise, you get burned out! I have honestly lost count of how many times I have started going to the gym and then stopped, sometimes even cancelling my membership. I have started going to yoga, which I enjoy very much, and am still figuring out what works best for me!

Reply to Liz

Hi, Liz!

I think a lot of us have been there, and it really comes down to just finding something that you enjoy that makes you want to do it over and over and over again. I find that in running light distance outside, walking the dogs, trails, and light living room strength training. You’ll figure it out! Don’t give up.

• Anne

Milk-based proteins honestly aren’t all that healthy…dairy in general contains huge amounts of antibiotics, hormones and junk that our body doesn’t need (since we’re not baby cows and all). I’d try hemp or pea protein…healthier, more sustainable and just a better choice all around!

Reply to Anne
  • Janie

We love Core Power in our household. The kids like Strawberry after basketball practice.

Reply to Janie
  • Anonymous

Can you please please share your dog training journey? It would be so inspirational for me. We’re in the middle of doing it and sometimes it can just seem so hopeless

Reply to Anonymous
  • Liuye

Hi Tara!
    Thanks for share:

I have figured out my “fitness happy?”
    just like you mentioned .i was depressed last year .i was pushing myself hard .
    I was so u happy.but this year I made a lot change. Everything is getting better .jogging and yoga are my favorite . I even stop counting calories everyday . I am happy now. And my boday is happy too . (⁎⁍̴̛ᴗ⁍̴̛⁎)

I can’t find Core Lower in China. .what a pity. I really want to try .

Reply to Liuye
  • Braden

Cute dogs!

Reply to Braden
  • Dan

Where is the pink shirt from?

Reply to Dan
  • Kate

I love the rules. I went throuh something similar several years ago! Glad you’re figuring it out.

Reply to Kate
  • Kelsey Weissner

I have not figured out my “fitness happy” quite yet! I’ve hit a slump lately and haven’t been very kind to myself, so I’m thankful for your inspirational post today to get me back on track! I have not tried Core Power because I’m lactose intolerant. I hope they put out a nut or plant based version because I would love to try that!

​I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! 🙂 -Kelsey​​

Reply to Kelsey Weissner
  • Bethany @LuluRuns

I love this post so much girl! It is so easy to compare my own fitness with others on social media, blogging, etc! For me, my happy is running (ALL the running), Pilates, light weights, plyometrics, and walking! If I don’t love whatever type of workout I am doing, I don’t want to force my body to do it! 🙂 Thank you for the encouragement! Love you girl <3

Reply to Bethany @LuluRuns

Hi, Bethany!

Thanks so much 🙂 That comparing thing is so easy to do, but you just have to remember that you’re amazing on your own and you don’t need any influence to change you! We love you the way you are! And also people are most likely doing the same to themselves watching/following your lifestyle. We all do it! It’s so great to see how far you’ve come and I just love following your family’s journey & your running lifestyle! KEEP BEING YOU!!!

• marti @fitwithheart

love this so much! i think so many people have a “right and only” way of thinking when it comes to fitness – but that is so not true! there are seasons of hustle…seasons of rest…and everthing in between. what matters is listening to your body and doing the workout that brings you joy – it doesn’t have to be “hard core” to “count.” either!! so glad you are listening to yours 🙂 keep sharing…it helps more people then you know!!!

Reply to marti @fitwithheart

Hi, Marti!

Thanks so much!

Everyone has a routine that works for best for them, even when other people think they know the magic that works. ALL BODIES are different. You nailed it when you said “listen to your body.” ONLY WE can do that. No one else. 🙂

• Rachel

Taralynn ,
    I have been reading and following your blog for years! ! Truly inspiring .
    My fitness happiness has been a struggle for years. I find once I reach a small goal I then let myself go ahhh.
    I do always feel better after a workout …just need to stay with it.
    Thanks for being you& so real ☺
    Any tips for snacking ?

Reply to Rachel

Thanks, Rachel!

Snacking…well I love it lol I think if you’re like me (a snacker) just keep your meals a bit smaller/leaner, and allow yourself to snack on healthier options! I keep a lot of celery, veggies, hummus, fruit, and healthy go-to snacks!

• Linda @ the Fitty

I know that now you’re looking back and realizing that you are overworking yourself, but during that training time or you were in it oh, did you know that you were overworking yourself? Also, what’s at the marathon training that really burn to out? Or was it something else?

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty

I love to run, but I love to run 3-6 miles. When you’re training, you have to run on days even when you don’t want to. I think that mentally annoyed me. I like to do things when I want to do them, and that’s just how I function. It was mentally exhausting. I didn’t think I was overworking myself when I was doing all of the HIIT workouts at first until I found myself going 6 days a week, and being to exhausted to do anything else. On top of my workouts, I walk my dogs six times a day, so it was adding up. My body doesn’t function well with that much exercise-induced stretch. A balance is what it wants and needs. I wasn’t practicing balance.

• Denise

I tried your pumpkin recipe after a run with with core power and it was so good!

Reply to Denise
  • Krista

Love this post! It can be really hard to find your ‘fitness happy.’ I usually take Vega Sport, because I don’t consume animal products (whey), but I’ve heard good things about Core Power– I think my brother takes it!

Reply to Krista
  • Becky

I remember reading your posts when you started going to HIIT classes every day and thinking, “how does she do so many high intensity workouts?? When does she rest?”, but when you talked about the HIIT classes you talked about how much you loved them, the instructors, and how good you felt after. Now you’re talking about how exhausted, stress and in pain you were while taking so many of these classes. Do you think you were writing those positive things before to try to convince yourself they were true?

Reply to Becky

Hi, Becky!

I did love those workouts for the first two months when I was doing them 3 times a week, but then I started going daily and going on days when I didn’t wanna go. The balance I had with it at first was great. I got a little TOO into it and that’s when it became a problem. I enjoyed going with friends, then going to breakfast, but the pressure to keep going is what started to get to me. I’m sure I was trying to convince myself that it was amazing, especially when my friends were raving about it, but I just put put too much stress on my body when I went more and more and more!

• Ana

I struggle with comparing my fitness level a lot. What’s your strategy when you find yourself comparing to others?

Thank you for a great blog post! Hope you have a great (and delicious) Thanksgiving!

Reply to Ana

The best thing to do is to remind yourself that WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT and that our bodies respond differently. You have to be happy with who you are and be confident in what YOU WANT to do. Be honest with yourself.

• Tracey

Love all the puppy pictures! My only question with the Core Power drink is the amount of sugar in it… 26grams is quite a lot. How do you feel about the amount of sugar? Do you only drink 1 of these a day or do you sometimes have two?

Reply to Tracey

Hi, Tracey!

Thank you:) Yes! I can see where that would be a concern, but that is why this is best for POST-WORKOUT. I don’t think I’d drink this just any time of the day or drink multiples in one day. It’s definitely for replenishing muscles and getting your energy back up after a workout. They are not weight loss drinks, but more for building lean muscle!

• Amy T

Yes!!! I love your list of rules.
    1. I am on a journey to find my fitness happy…I think running might be it. And surprisingly I might like morning runs the best…never thought I’d EVER say that.
    2. I haven’t tried Core Power…they look really yummy! Probably too much sugar for me to drink daily, but I might have to try one or two to change it up sometime.
    3. Everyday awesome for me would be going to sleep knowing I’ve accomplished the goals I’d set for the day and feeling ready for the next day. Planning for me has helped me feel #EverydayAwesome.

Love your posts and pictures! Keep up the great work girl!

Reply to Amy T

Thanks, Amy!

When you get your body into the routine of something, a love is formed!

Yes, the sugar is definitely for that post-workout recovery. Not something to drink just to drink.

LOVE your everday awesome! xo

• Hannah

I loved these photos!

Reply to Hannah
  • Emily

What pants are those?

Reply to Emily
  • nicole @ bento momentos

Still working on my fitness happy but always nice to hear that I’m not the only one struggling though. 🙂

Reply to nicole @ bento momentos
  • Savannah

I was trying to find my fitness happy, but things started to go downhill as my relationship started to take a tumble. My boyfriend of 4 years just broke up with me, and I am having a hard time finding motivation to keep going on my fitness happy journey. I’d love to know if you have any tips and tricks to getting back on the saddle when you’re going through sadness like that.

Reply to Savannah

Hi, Savannah!

I’ve been through some breakups, and though it IS sad, it can be exciting too. Sounds weird, but it’s time for an entire new lifestyle! You get to “do you” and enjoy life the way you want. If someone broke up with you after four years, don’t waste any emotions on that person. Use those emotions, the anger, the sadness, and put it towards what you want. Turn it into passion. You get to put yourself first this time. Whenever I was sad, I’d put on a good playlist and just walk the trails! Light workouts help with those “feels.” Focus on you!!! And the pain and sadness goes away. Don’t let it cloud your life. If I never would have gone through those breakups, I’d never be where I’m at right now, and I’ve never been happier. YOU GOT THIS!!

• Tracey

I love the vanilla Core Power.

Reply to Tracey
  • Cara Dunn

By far, my fitness “happy” is hiking and walking. I love being outdoors and I feel so much better being outside, even in the colder months. There is just something about being on a trail in the woods.

Reply to Cara Dunn
  • Kendall

Love this! Thank you for being such a great fitness role model! 🙂

Reply to Kendall
  • Laura

I’ve followed your journey since the tumblr days and you constantly inspire me. It took me a long time to find my “fitness happy” but I’m so happy to say I finally found it this year through Beachbody. You’re so right that it’s important to listen to your body and find what works for you. Thanks for sharing this!

Reply to Laura
  • Zoe

It’s been hard for me to adapt to not playing sports in school anymore… (even though it’s been 7 years!) because I loved the sports, it wasn’t about the fitness, it was about the game and just doing the best I could to go out there and win. Not to mention adapting to having kids and trying to find ways we can enjoy fitness with them instead of trying to work around them. Our goal right now is biking, walking, and hiking as a family. But to do that we have to find the right products so that it can be done enjoyably! It can be hard to go out and spend the money on something when you haven’t gotten into it yet…but at the same time you can’t get into it properly until you have the right equipment!
    I’ve also been trying to do short little workouts in the mornings when I get up, but it has been hit and miss so far. I love the way I feel afterwards, but it’s hard to get started.
    No, I haven’t tried Core Power yet, anytime I’ve ever tried a protein drink there’s that feeling of the powder in it, which I can’t stand. But I’ll have to try it sometime!

Reply to Zoe

I know that can definitely be hard.

I think involving your kids in your fitness lifestyle is the best way to do it, and eventually get them into playing sports with you. I think hiking, walking, and swimming can all be inexpensive ways to stay active!

• Shannen

Your fitness journey has always been inspiring. I’m working on finding me my fitness happy, but one thing I know for sure is that dog walk will always be my favorite! Thank you for sharing!

Reply to Shannen
  • Katie

Ah Taralynn, I love this post! I need to try some of those drinks! I have also been working on mine and changing it a bit (mostly getting started again and seeing what works best) but I really like your list and could relate so much, esp the rest one! It’s hard to do that sometimes. Great pictures! Have a great Thanksgiving! 🙂

XO, Katie | http://www.meshkomoments.com

Reply to Katie

Hi, Katie!

Thanks so much 🙂

I agree that it is hard to rest (mentally) but it’s so beneficial!

& Thanks! Kyle actually took them all! 🙂 haha

Have a wonderful holiday!

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Great blog post, Taralynn! I haven’t quite found my happy when it comes to fitness yet, but I’m getting there! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog