Thirty-Minute Turkey Sausage, Havarti & Veggie Frittata

When you think of Italian foods, you probably think of carbs on carbs on carbs! Delicious pizza, pasta, breadsticks, gelato, and the list goes on! But, one of my favorite Italian dishes is almost carb-less, and the perfect post-gym dinner.
Have you ever had a frittata? If not, you may want to write this recipe down! Frittatas are so easy to make, high protein, and so tasty! A frittata is a kind of like a quiche without the crust. If you can make an omelet, you’ll be abe to conquer the frittata in minutes. In fact, Making omelets is much harder! There is no flipping involved with frittatas. Just fry & bake!
Ingredients: 1 Dozen Large Eggs, 2.5 Cups Ground Turkey Sausage, 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, 5 Slices Havarti Cheese, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 3 Cups Chopped Spinach, 1 Cup 1% or higher Milk, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, and Onion Powder.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

You can use any stove to oven skillet, but I used the cast-iron skillet. Spread the olive oil in and around the sides of the skillet. Add the chopped bell pepper and saute.

In a mixing bowl, add the eggs and milk. Beat well!

Mix in garlic powder (1/2 tablespoon), onion powder (1/2 tablespoon), and black pepper (1/4 tablespoon).

Once the peppers are lightly brown, turn off the heat, and add spinach leaves. Continue to stir until they are slightly wilted.

Turn the heat to medium and add the eggs into the skillet. Quickly move the spinach and peppers around so they float to the top. Do this before the eggs start to cook around the edges.

Once they edges are thick, add in the cheese (break apart), turkey sausage, and transfer the skillet to the oven. Use a mitt because it will be HOT!

Bake for about 20 minutes! You can tell when it’s done by feeling the center. If the edges are lightly brown and the center is firm and bouncy, it’s done!

I made butternut squash for the side!
Let it cool for about ten minutes before diving in.
This recipe makes 8 Jumbo slices!
Nutrition Per Slice: 225 Calories, 5g Carbs, 12g Fat, 22g Protein, 3g Sugar

You can also make these in a muffin pan for on the go frittatas!

I will be making an egg white, kale and spinach frittata next! I may even add a sweet potato crust. You could make this recipe vegetarian, and dairy free. It’s a great gluten-free recipe to bring to parties or work as well!

Questions for you!

1. What would you add to your frittata?
  2. Are you a fan of eggs for dinner?

Comments

• Carly

As soon as I saw this on your snapchat I was hoping the recipe was coming to the blog! I can’t wait to make this!

I would maybe add roasted tomatoes or artichokes to my frittata. There are SO many good ingredients that go with eggs its hard to decide!

I love eggs for any meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner… sign me up! My husband always jokes that when he’s out of town I only eat breakfast… jokes on him… its true… 3 meals a day for however many days he’s gone its breakfast food for me!

Reply to Carly
  • Al

This recipe was so good! Thank you!

Reply to Al
  • Caileigh

I’m a massive fan of eggs for dinner because they’re usually quick and easy (and delicious on top of everything). I love adding sauteed onions to frittatas (along with some goat cheese and duck sausage) trust me on this one 😉

Reply to Caileigh
  • Malorie

This was so good. Will you be posting your buffalo chicken one?

Reply to Malorie
  • Nicole

This looks delicious! We have stopped with the dairy in our house due to my husband’s lactose issues, but I will definitely be giving this a go minus the cheese. Frittatas make life so much easier.

Reply to Nicole
  • Jessica

I love frittata’s! My favorite one has crumbled bacon, goat cheese, and spinach! I love making one and using it for breakfasts throughout the week, and it actually heats up pretty well in the microwave if you’re bringing it to work. Thanks for the recipe!

Reply to Jessica
  • Jaclyn Grace

This looks so delicious! I was just saying to my boyfriend that we should try to make a frittata – I think we will try this one out! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

Reply to Jaclyn Grace
  • Helen

OMG this looks so good! 🙂 Must try.

Reply to Helen
  • Jessica

Oh yum! I love to make quiche and have never done a frittata but I am adding it to must haves. My go to is usually spinach, onions, sausage but I have been loving me some chorizo lately!

Eggs for dinner is a must especially before or after workouts. I eat that before volleyball so I’ve eaten but done feel weighed down. Sometimes we even get homemade biscuits going!

Reply to Jessica

It’s essentially the same thing, just no crust!:) I love them both! Spinach & onions are always good! I should try it with chorizo!! We are actually going to make a buffalo chicken frittata!

Eggs are a great post-workout meal! & I miss my volleyball days!!

Have a great weekend!

• Rae

Where is your post about the half marathon in NYC? I can’t wait to read it!

Reply to Rae
  • Linda @ the Fitty

I’m a fan of eggs all day every day! I love to hard boiled them so they’re a portable meal.

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Carrie this fit chick

This looks delicious!! Such a great summer breakfast!

Reply to Carrie this fit chick
  • Katie Meshko

Wow that sure looks yummy! I’ve never had one, but now I am drooling for one. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing your delish looking recipe.

-Katie http://www.meshkomoments.com

Reply to Katie Meshko
  • Jamie

Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit! Thank you!

Reply to Jamie
  • Tammy Ivey

I have one more question…have you ever made a frittata in a crockpot? I may google it and see how it comes out. Looking for personal insight on this lol Normally you can cook anything in a crockpot 🙂

Reply to Tammy Ivey
  • Tammy Ivey

Do you precook the turkey sausage or just let it cook in the oven? Looks delish!

Reply to Tammy Ivey
  • Rachel

If you did this in a muffin pan how would you go about cooking it?

Reply to Rachel
  • Teresa

My husband and I LOVE breakfast for dinner especially after long runs- my cast iron was a complete game changer when it came to eggs/breakfast for dinner. It’s SO difficult not going back for seconds! 🙂

I always add avocado chunks, onions, and spinach to our frittatas!

Enjoy your weekend girl!

Reply to Teresa

PERFECT after a long run and a workout!! high protein for the win! Cast iron anything is good! I am going to try to make a cast iron pizza soon.

For some reason, I don’t like warm avocado, but goat cheese and avocado would be really good on top!

Have a great weekend!!! Hope you’re getting warmer weather!

• Kaitlyn

I’d make a spinach, pepper and mushroom fritatta with pepper jack cheese — drooling over here!

I’m a big fan of eggs for dinner or incorporating them into dinner. Lately I’ve been making an easy fried rice with leftover rice and veggies on hand, and adding in an egg and one falafel from Trader Joe’s for a little extra oomph. Perhaps I will be making a fritatta this weekend to switch things up a bit, but also it’s a great dish to make ahead for meal prepping!

p.s. Hello from Seattle. I’ve been following for YEARS and your blog is one I ready multiple times/week. Thanks for always creating engaging content!

Reply to Kaitlyn

Oh, that (minus the mushrooms) sound so good! PEPPERJACK is always good with eggs.

That fried rice sounds so good and I bet it would be so yummy paired with the fritatta!

THANKS for the kind words!! xo xo xo xo xo I need to make it out to Seattle soon!

• Kristen

Breakfast for dinner is my fav, especially after a work out!!!

I would for sure add goat cheese and onion to mine 🙂 maybe mushrooms too!

This sounds great, might have to give it a try for my families weekly Sunday morning breakfast 🙂

🙂

Reply to Kristen
  • Courtney

Yum, looks delicious! When do you add the turkey, though?

Reply to Courtney
  • Juliette | Namastay Traveling

Recipes that can be used for any meal of the day are best! Looking forward to making a frittata this weekend (sneaking in all-the-veggies) and eating it throughout the work week!

Reply to Juliette | Namastay Traveling

Oh yes!! The veggies are a must. I want to make one with roasted carrots and potatoes! I had a quiche in France like that! & perfect for on the go!

• Dawn

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing! Just a quick question…When do you add the Havarti? I didn’t see it in the instructions. Have a great weekend!!

Reply to Dawn
  • jaime

1. I’d do goat cheese, caramelized onions, spinach, and mushrooms!
    2. I could honestly eat eggs for any meal lol. I never get sick of them

Reply to jaime
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

I’ve actually never had a frittata before, but I really have to try making it, as I’m cutting down on carbs. Thanks for the recipe!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog