Gluten Free Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas (high protein)

It’s 5 o’clock on a Friday night. Weird time to blog, but I wanted to get this recipe out there so you can enjoy it over the weekend. I just finished my power cleaning session, Becca is coming over for a long neighborhood walk, and then we are going to have wine on my front porch. It’s 78 degrees right now, and I’m so excited to spend some time outside. I’m staying close to the house this weekend because Leo just had his surgery yesterday, and I want him to be as comfortable as possible. The little man is doing great! I plan on finishing up some home projects and working on my Charlotte post more.

As I mentioned in my last recap blog post, I made tasty chicken and black bean enchiladas on Saturday night. These are much lighter than the last chicken enchiladas I made, and I think they are fantastic!

I could eat these enchiladas for every single meal. They are 100% gluten free and can easily be made vegetarian if you substitute the chicken.
Ingredients:
 *1 large green bell pepper, *1 red bell pepper, *1/2 cup fiesta corn, *1/2 cup black beans, *1 4.5 ounce can green chilles (do not drain), *1 1/2 lbs skinless & boneless chicken breast, *1/4 medium yellow onion, *3 ounces light cream cheese, *1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese, *1 10 oucne can red enchilada sauce. Extras: *garlic powder, *sea salt, *black pepper, *onion powder, *olive oil.

I used gluten free fiesta tortillas and lettuce wraps.

Saute bell peppers and onions in olive oil.

Rinse the chicken breast, dice it, and add it to the pan with the peppers and onions.
Once the chicken is halfway cooked, add the corn, can of chilies and black beans.
When the chicken is fully cooked, add the cream cheese and continue to stir.
  Lightly sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper over the top. Give it a taste test and add any extra seasoning it needs.

I wanted one of my enchiladas in a lettuce wrap and the rest in the Rudis gluten free fiesta tortillas. The tortillas worked perfectly for the enchiladas. Gluten free tortillas are a hit or miss.
I filled five of the tortillas with a cup of the chicken enchilada filling.

I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and greased the bottom of the baking dish before adding the filled tortillas.
I poured half of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
Next, I added the cheese on top and the rest of the can of enchiladas sauce.
I left some of the enchiladas filling on the side for my lettuce wrap! I also added about two tablespoons of the enchilada sauce in with the filling.
I love lettuce wrapped tacos and burgers, and thought the chicken enchilada lettuce wraps would be a fun experiment.
VERDICT: DELICIOUS!!!!!!! I ate that thing so fast.

I cooked the enchiladas for 30 minutes. If the cheese is crisp on the edges, it’s most likely done cooking.

This recipe makes six enchiladas! (I made one less enchilada because of the lettuce wrap, but the nutrition includes the 6th enchilada)

Nutrition Per Enchilada:
365 Calories, 27g Carbs (19g net carbs), 10g Fat, 42g Protein, 8g Fiber, 2g Sugar

This would be the perfect dinner served with veggies! High in protein & lower in carbs:)

I hope you enjoy this recipe! 🙂 It’s now one of my favorites. These enchiladas would be a great dish to bring to work, especially if you have gluten free coworkers.

Questions for you!

1. What are you up to this weekend?
  2. Are you cooking anything special this weekend?

Comments

• Brooke

Hey Tara!!

I’ve followed for a long time! One of my all time favorite enchilada recipes youve made and posted is where you add some sort of Greek yogurt topping on top with the cheese and sauce? Do you recall this? Do you ever still make it? You’ve made so many things just curious if you ever go back to old recipes from your blog?

I know I do lol! If I’m ever feeling like I can’t think of something for dinner your blog is always the first thing I look to for inspiration : )

Reply to Brooke
  • Waverly

These were a hit!

Reply to Waverly
  • Tammy

Thank you for posting this recipe. We made it last night and loved them.

Reply to Tammy
  • Kate

I just made these and they are just heavenly. I, however, forgot to grease the baking dish and they stuck to the side so they are pretty but these are just great. Would have never thought to add the cream cheese!

Reply to Kate

Lol that happens to me a lot! 🙁 The gluten free tortillas defiitely stick more than the floury ones. My mom always adds cream cheese and I love it!

• Samantha Zimmer

Yummmm!! Dinner inspo for tonight! I have been thinking about transitioning to gluten free so looking forward to more recipes from you!

Reply to Samantha Zimmer
  • Kelsey

I made these last night and absolutely loved them! I made a lot of extra filling to put on salads for the week. I used Tortilla Factories low card tortillas and they tasted great with it! I had such a busy weekend last weekend with family in town and crazy work week that Im trying to catch up! Yesterday was so beautiful and warm so I went for a long walk and ran all of my errands but today I’ve planted myself on the couch despite wanting to get outside. Recovery day is needed! Thanks for the delicious recipe.

Reply to Kelsey

That is so great! 🙂 I think making the filling for enchiladas salads is a great idea. I may have to do that too.

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Productive & relaxing.

xo

• Richard

Another hit in the household. Thank you!

Reply to Richard
  • Jessica

I made these over the weekend. We settled on the lettuce wraps instead of baking them and I’m hooked.

Reply to Jessica
  • Jessica

Love this! I’ll be putting in on my grocery list for next week! (We do our shopping on Fridays)

This weekend I’m doing my second week of meal prep for lunches and setting up portions in smaller containers for yogurt-blueberries, cottage cheese, and some sugar-free jello. (my 13 yr old son is loving it as well)

I’m going to make your blueberry breakfast cake in the morning! YAY!

You are such an inspiration! I can’t thank you enough for sharing everything you do. <3

Reply to Jessica

I hope you enjoy these!:) They are so worth it.

That all sounds wonderful! Be careful with the sugar free jello because a lot of it is made with aspartame. I used to eat that ALL the time back in the day when I was trying to lose weight and I started to get migraines so bad! If you want a healthy alternative, try making your own homemade sugar free jello by using truvia or stevia drink mix + plain gelatin! xo You could also do fresh fruit juice with the gelatin

Oh my gosh that looks so good!

I got breakfast at Ikea today: scrambled eggs, bacon, and lots and lots of butter. 😀 Tomorrow I’m headed home at university for work and also to unpack.

• Guest

WOW! I believe these were the best enchiladas I have ever made. I ate like four 🙁

Reply to Guest
  • Traci

These look absolutely AMAZING!

Reply to Traci
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Taralynn! This weekend we’re not going anything special at home – we bought a ton of bok choy that we need to finish up haha!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Jennifer

Yummm-o these look so good! (Also, so many posts, so little time–love the “how to” blog post, and I can’t wait to read Becca’s too! Also, LOVING the new job! It’s practically 3 months of training so I’m still in training mode, but I love the people I work with in the class and it’s going well so far!)

This weekend I’m surprising my boyfriend on Saturday and taking him to CanCan Wonderland in St. Paul! It’s an awesome place where it’s part restaurant/bar and it also has indoor mini-golfing! It’s super artistic and there’s new artwork at every hole done by different artists. Neither of us have been there before, so it shall be fun!

No special recipes planned so far, but he did request meatloaf so I tried Andie Mitchell’s BBQ meatloaf and it was super good! I’ll probably crank out these enchiladas in the near future 😉

Reply to Jennifer

Hi Jennifer!

I’ve actually posted way more this week! Things have finally calmed down on my end 🙂 yay!! I am so happy you love your new job! I had you in my prayers while you were searching!

You are such a great girlfriend and I’m sure he’ll love that. Hope you have so much fun.

Have you read her book? Such a great one!

Taralynn

• Jennifer

Aww I love hearing that 🙂 Thank you!!

And Yes! I’ve read her book. I’m actually in the middle of reading it for the second time right now! Haha I love it.

Reply to Jennifer
  • Amelia

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to make it this week.

Reply to Amelia
  • Katie

The look so good! Can’t wait to add them to my menu soon! My recipe box is full of your recipes!
    It’s snowy here so I am planning to make a beef cabbage soup tomorrow! Then Sunday we are headed to the mountains for a trip to the casino! 🙂

Reply to Katie
  • jordan @ dancing for donuts

these sound SO good!!! i made enchiladas for the first time not too long ago and loved them so much, but they were definitely on the heavier side! your recipe looks like the perfect compromise.

this weekend i’ll just be catching up with friends and hopefully watching the oscars! we’re whipping up some ribs with a dry rub tonight and i’m hoping to make a big batch of turkey chili, too 🙂

have a great weekend!

Reply to jordan @ dancing for donuts

Theyre now my favorite!

I love enchiladas. I never appreciated how good they were until Kyle requested them all the time.

Sounds like you have a FUN weekend!!!!

• Brooklyn

This looks so good! I’m vegetarian so I would substitute the chicken, but it looks like a pretty easy recipe!
    I haven’t made enchiladas in years (I know, insane!) but now I’m inspired to make some 🙂

Hope you have a great weekend and Leo is feeling good.

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Tara @ Run and Live Happy

Yum!! I love enchiladas but rarely eat them because of the “heaviness”. These sound delicious and are so much lighter than a regular enchilada. I think the filling by itself would be awesome!! I will definitely be making these soon! Thanks for posting!!

I’m running a long run this weekend, doing yard work, and enjoying this warm February weather!! Oh and I’m going to my best friend’s daughters 5th birthday party. It’s a mermaid party! Lol 🙂

Have a great weekend!

Reply to Tara @ Run and Live Happy

Yes, these are MUCH lighter!!! Hope you enjoy 🙂

I’m doing my long run tonight! A mermaid party sounds fun!!!!

Hope you have a great one too

• Katie

These sound great! Like every other recipe of yours! I think my recipe box is half full just from recipes I’ve saved from your website! I will definitely be making these soon.
    It’s snowing here so I am planning to make a beef cabbage soup tomorrow! And then Sunday we are headed to the mountains to go casino hopping! 🙂

Reply to Katie

Thanks, Katie! 🙂

That makes me smile 🙂 Glad you are putting them to use!

Cabbage soup on a snowy day sounds ground! It’s 78 here! HELLO, SPRING!!

Have fun at the mountains!