A Cozy Cabin in the Smoky Mountains

Friday was on of the best days ever. Not only did Kyle surprise me with a spa day, he planned a weekend getaway in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, for us and the pups. This trip was about relaxing, spending time with each other, and having fun with the pups. They enjoyed the trip just as much as we did. What I loved about this trip is that we focussed on relaxing and limited our dining out, exploring, and running all over the place. We ventured out once, but stayed put for the rest of the trip. I took a ton of photos of our eats, coffee, the pups, the cabin, and our little adventure to downtown Gatlinburg. I hope you enjoy <3
We left Charlotte at 6pm.
We stopped at the grocery store before heading to the house.

Not going to lie, it was kind of scary at night. The house was in the middle of nowhere, on the water, and it was over 110 years old…

The name of the cabin was the Lindsey Mill and it has been featured on the Travel Channel.

The dogs made themselves right at home. Thank goodness this place was pet friendly!

We brought our dinner since we knew it would be late by the time we got there.

We immediately hooked up the Netflix and caught up on our show. Kyle and I finished two seasons of “The Killing” in two weeks!
I woke up really early to blog and walk the pups. The place was much better in the morning! The creepy vibe went away.

Leo was loving all the sticks.
The home was right on the creek.
So many new things to soak in.

Morning coffee on the deck 🙂 This was like a dream for me.

Good morning, sleepy heads!

I spent the morning blogging and watching “The Killing”

The house had a pond in the front yard that was all fenced in for the pups. They LOVED running around.

Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast!

We got ready on Saturday afternoon and headed to downtown Gatlinburg.

We walked around the shops and enjoyed the day strolling.
Some people told us not to go to Gatlinburg because of the fires, but they were wrong. The downtown is still lovely as ever and everyone was so welcoming. Of course, there was so much devastation around the downtown, and it’s so sad to think about people losing their homes. You could see a lot of the homes that were effected by the fires, and it was heartbreaking. I was happy that we could give our business to the shops and the people of Gatlinburg.
Kyle was on the hunt for a coffee shop for me.

We went to a cute little coffee shop called “Coffee and Company.”

They had cute little gifts and I loved the positive messages throughout the coffee shop.

Small cappuccino with skim + one extra shot of espresso.

And a hot cocoa for Kyle <3
The downtown area was really cute and I loved the little hidden villages.

I was in heaven looking at all these mugs.
We had plans to go out to dinner, but we couldn’t wait to get back to the pups and play outside. We felt like little kids, so we stopped at the grocery to pick up some food and headed straight back to the cabin.

I’m not sure who was having more fun…

Grumples spent thirty minutes trying to get the courage to grab this stick…
He finally did it!

We decided to go exploring on the other side of the cabin. There was a bridge that allowed you to go over the creek and onto the trail.

Everything was so beautiful and it looked like a dream.

This trip inspired us to stay at more pet friendly AirBnBs.

Serious squad goals.
If this place was this gorgeous in the winter, I can’t imagine what it would look like in the summer or fall!

The pups were worn out and so were we!

Kyle tucked Grumples in! It was so cute.

Lunch was a big plate of snacks! Chicken salad, fava beans, carrots, harvest snaps, carrots, and hummus!

My boys <3

We stuck to gluten free pizza and Netflix for dinner!

I don’t even have to tell you this because I’m sure it’s obvious, but I love taking coffee photos. When I see destination photos, the first thing that comes to my mind is “I’d love to drink coffee in that spot”, so adding coffee to my photos makes me happy.

After walking the pups around the property, I decided to make Kyle and I breakfast! Kyle was still sleeping and I knew the smell of bacon was the kindest way to wake him up.

Grumples smelled some bacon…

I used cinnamon raisin gluten free bread for the french toast.

Gluten free french toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, and sautéed blueberries!

There was a book inside the house that had a little note from everyone who has stayed there. I enjoyed reading them all! People from all over the world stayed in this cute little cabin.

We were so sad to leave this perfect little cabin, but excited for our next adventure together! Kyle made my birthday so perfect 🙂

Questions for you!

1. Do you ever go on vacations with your dogs?
  2. Do you prefer staying put or exploring?

Did you know you can get $35 off your first adventure with AirBnB if you sign up here!? Pretty cool!
Click here to check out all the adventures!
**Interested in the Lindsey Mill where we stayed? Click here and type in “lindsey mill gatlinburg” into the search box!

Comments

• Anonymous

love these photos

What a great boyfriend!

Reply to Sara
  • Anonymous

What a beautiful cabin

Reply to Anonymous
  • Valerie

I’m going to book this place!

Reply to Valerie
  • Jaylee

This weekend sounded perfect. You and Kyle are so cute.

Reply to Jaylee
  • Jenny B

First I want to say Happy Birthday! Your vacation pictures are a pleasure to look through!! I’m so glad you share the fun candid pictures. You don’t have to show us everything but you do and it makes you all the more real and genuine. The porch and the creek are beautiful, I could sit out there all day! That cabin looks cozy and the journal of all the previous visitors makes it feel even cozier to me. What did you end up buying at the shops? Favorite souvenir?
    The coffee mugs in this post make me want to buy all the mugs lol I am obsessed with the hot stuff mug- please tell me where I can get one.
    Answers to the questions,
    1.)I don’t have dogs but I have two kiddos age 3 and 10. I don’t mind traveling with them but it can get boring in the car.
    2.)I like to explore and stay in, usually a busy day shopping or sight seeing and a chill evening is the game plan. Pretty much what you guys did.

Also I love using cinnamon raisin bread for French toast. The udis GF bread is so dense and makes it very rich. It’s nice to make your own food on vacation, saves $ and healthier!

I hope you have a great week!

Reply to Jenny B

Hi Jenny!

Thank you so much! I enjoyed every moment spent in the mountains. I ended up getting some coffees and moonshine for the family! Coffee is my favorite of course!

I’m sure the car rides are hard! You have to get super creative for keeping them busy I’m sure!!

Yes that is exactly we we love doing and did do! It really depends on the cit we are in!

YES I AGREE! It didn’t get soggy like normal bread and the cinnamon raisin made i so much better!

Thank you for stopping to comment!

xo

• Hussain

I loved this post so much.
    I love to get away in places like this. Actually I don’t have pups, I would take them with me if I had.
    When I go to places like this, I like to explore and hike in the morning and afternoon, but after sunset I usually stay put.

Reply to Hussain
  • Van

Taralynn, I’ve been reading your blog & you are in your element. You are a free spirited person who loves nature, cares about the food you eat, your health, loves pets & coffee, and I am glad you found the guy who does the same for you! You look so beautiful in the natures light. You are an inspiration to be free, be yourself & let not let your surroundings get you down.

Reply to Van

Thank you so much!

That means a lot to me 🙂 I feel so grateful for Kyle and I love how much we have in common!

xo xo xo You just made my day!

• Anonymous

Loved this post very much

Reply to Anonymous
  • Virjinia

I love trips like these! We usually put our pup in daycare when we go but I might have to convince the hubby to bring her with us next time. I love that cabin!

Reply to Virjinia
  • Ray

Cute post!

Reply to Ray
  • Jill Ardueser

This is such a cute idea to get away for a bit! The woodlands around the house look absolutely gorgeous! I love how you edit your photos. What camera/editing software do you use?

Reply to Jill Ardueser
  • Anonymous

Why didnt you do anything other than just hang out at the house? kind of boring?

Reply to Anonymous
    • Jenny B

I could have stayed in that cabin enjoying my hubbys “attention” all weekend lol I guess you can’t make everyone happy Tara!

Reply to Jenny B

lol

I loved my trip and I LOVED that we relaxed. We ventured out to Gatlinburg, so we did do something. We are always go go go and it was fun to escape charlotte and just spend time together. This was how I wanted to spend my days. Sorry it was boring for you, but I LOVED every second of spending time with my pups and Kyle!

• Kandi

I love Gatlinburg! So glad you all enjoyed it. I’ll have to look up that cabin when we plan our next trip!

Reply to Kandi
  • Lina

What a lovely cabin! The weekend get away sounded like a great way to have a break from the regular routines. I personally love to explore and see the most of the are around me, especially if there is a chance for hiking. Living in a big city doesn’t allow for that to happen often.

I was wondering though if you could maybe do a post on how you and Kyle met? I think you mentioned before how you would. I’m trying to get more out there and hoping a post like that could give me the motivation to meet someone new.

Reply to Lina

It most definitely was!

It was so cold and we totally skipped out on hiking, but next time!

I think Valentines day would be a great time to announce how we met! xo

• Autumn

We’ve only had our black lab, Zeppelin, for a little over a year and a half but we took him to Blue Ridge, Georgia with us! Your pictures reminded me so much of the place we stayed at 🙂 and in March we are taking him with us to Asheville, North Carolina 🙂
    It sort of depends on my mood whether I want to explore or stay in. I usually like to take one day to explore and the rest of the time to try to relax. I have found I’m not very good at the relaxing part haha.

P.S. LOVE the mugs from Target!That’s my go-to place for all of my coffee mugs 🙂

Reply to Autumn

Awww love the name!

You’ll love Asheville! We are planning a trip too 🙂

lol I never used to be good at relaxing, but I’m getting better at it!

LOL they have totally stepped up their mug game.

• Kte

This cabin looks great

Reply to Kte
  • ?

Do you have a cat

Reply to ?
  • Jess

It looks like you had an amazing weekend! I’ve been wanting to go hang out in a cabin for a weekend this winter, but it’s not happening…so I’ll live vicariously through you 🙂 lol. My best friend went to Gatlinburg for her honeymoon last summer and she said it was beautiful. It’s on my bucket list to go.

I don’t have a dog, but when I do I’m sure they will go on vacations with me.

I like a balance of staying put and exploring. I dislike when every second of a vacation is planned and really love going with the flow.

Happy belated birthday!!

Reply to Jess

Thank you Jess!

The weekend was great 🙂 You should totally visit. You’ll love it!

The pups are fun, so I’m sure you’ll love it one day!

Yes I love going with the flow too!, although I DO love preplanning my coffee shops!

• Rachel @ Better LIVIN

Looks like a blast! Cabin getaways are the best vacations if you ask me. I love travelling with our dogs, though it’s hard because there aren’t a ton of pet friendly places.

Reply to Rachel @ Better LIVIN
  • Shannen

Aww that looked like such a great (and very sweet) weekend! I have to ask, did he just automatically look for a coffee place for you? Because either way that was sweet! And the French toast looked so good! I love the comment you made about taking pictures of your coffee cups. I feel the same way!
    As for taking my dogs on vacation, YES! We don’t really go on vacation very much it’s usually just a couple camping trips a year. The dogs love to explore trails with us and cuddle by the fire. Exploring all day, every day. When when we aren’t on vacation.
    Looking forward to the next post!

Reply to Shannen

It was such a sweet weekend.

& yes he did. I mentioned coffee earlier and he was on the hunt for a place for me (other than Starbucks). I think he secretly likes coffee shops just as much as I do.

I love that you take your dogs camping. We have been thinking about a camping trip with all of our friends this summer + the dogs! If you have any good spots, I’d love to hear!

& thanks so much for reading! I always love your comments, Shannen!

xo

• Ashton Jury

I love exploring, unfortunately I don’t have a dog right now but I think I have my husband convinced that we need a corgi. I love that Air BNB has some great places like this cabin for you to take your pups, plus I love staying somewhere where I have a kitchen because it’s nice to cook your own meals even on vacation. Don’t get me wrong I love going out, but when we went to Maui last September it was great to just stay in some nights or to buy groceries just so I could make breakfast in the morning. I totally get you on the wanting to take pictures of coffee everywhere, lol I had the most delicious cappuccino at Club 33 in Disneyland and was so excited to post pictures of it.

Reply to Ashton Jury

AHHH yes you should get a pup!!:)

I agree about cooking your own meals sometimes! It’s fun 🙂 Maui sounds amazing!!

Coffee is just so photogenic.

• Harriet

Happy belated birthday!! Your weekend looked truly amazing, what an amazing present.. It’s great that some air b&b”s are dog friendly, I try to take my dog on vacation with me when I can. I love explor when I go travelling , I like to see what the town has to offer (walking tracks, coffee shops etc), but when I go to my family’s beach house I am a stayer as it’s has amazing sea views, so I just read and soak up the sun..

Reply to Harriet

Thanks Harriet!

It was a great birthday!

I agree and love seeing what the town has to offer too!

but if i’m planed on a beach…I AINT MOVING.

• Bailey Noblet

I have noticed you’ve been making a lot of meals that are gluten free lately what’s your reasoning behind that or is it just healthier for you?

Reply to Bailey Noblet
  • Bay

So romantic!

Reply to Bay
  • Katie L

Your photos are gorgeous!

Reply to Katie L
  • Brooklyn

This looks like the perfect weekend/birthday getaway! I have been looking into different places to get away into a cabin for a weekend and just be in nature 🙂

As soon as I saw that big water wheel (no clue what it’s called) I thought of Hocus Pocus!!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Julio

all my family we had amazing last Christmas week in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Beautiful Rainbow falls in Smoky Mountain,Gatlinburg.
    I hope to return this spring break.!!

Reply to Julio
  • Diane

Taralynn! You went to see one of the best places ever. Being to Gatlinburg many times, you learn that that’s just a heaven sent place. Talking about going there in all seasons, make sure that’s a goal. When you go back make sure you take me along. The mountains are calling me back! I’ll be there soon. Till then Gods Country will be WAITING!!!!!!!

Reply to Diane
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

What a lovely getaway! I usually like to do a mix of staying in and relaxing–depending on how long my trip is!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Salina

Gatlinburg is beautiful! We actually were there about a month before the fires and it was devastating to hear about it. I’m glad you were still able to go and visit downtown. The cabin you stayed at looks amazing. We will have to check that out and I know my dog would love it too. Your boyfriend is so sweet for planning all of that for you!

Reply to Salina
  • Emily S.

Gatlinburg is beautiful! I’ll have to make a trip back there again sometime soon. It looks like you both had a wonderful time 🙂

Side note: For some reason, huge advertisements popped up on literally EVERY photo as I was reading and thought maybe it is something you want to look into because it made the post very difficult to get through. This seems like something new as I’ve never had this issue on your site before.

Reply to Emily S.

We did & yes it is very beautiful!

Thank you for pointing that out! I didn’t even realize those were all over the photos, but when I signed out of my account they popped up! I went in and fixed it all!

XO

• Natascha

This cabin looks so beautiful and our dog would love the fenced yard. But she would be in the water in no tme. 😀

1. Do you ever go on vacations with your dogs?

Always! The only time we left our dog at a dogsitter was a romantic weekend at a couples only-hotel were my fiance proposed to me. We always make our holidaydecisions based on “Free Wifi” and “Pets allowed”. 😉

2. Do you prefer staying put or exploring?

I love to explore, especially on citytrips. I don’t get the point of going somewhere if you just stay in the hotel. Or is this just me?

Reply to Natascha

Hi Natascha!

It was so cold, so I’m so glad Grumples didn’t go into that water, but he would be too chicken to do it anyways!

lol YES that is so funny! Free wifi and pets! love it.

If we were in a hotel, we’d totally be exploring the entire time!! This place just felt like home!

• Linda

What a beautiful and peaceful getaway! What a wonderful birthday surprise. I have never been to the Smokey Mountains. I need to add that to my bucket list. My husband and I also have 2 dogs and we take them on travel with us when we can. They get so excited and realize that they get to go with us once I get their travel tote out for packing. Dogs are so smart! Our favorite place to take them is Cannon Beach Oregon (known for being very dog friendly). If you havent been there, you should go sometime. It has everything from beautiful beach scenary to some of the best food and shops around. The town is very strict on businesses. You will only find owner run businesses there. No Starbucks or Red Box there, but very cool local businesses like Sleepy Monk Coffee. We like a good mix of exploring and relaxing when we go away. We like to stay where we have a kitchen so we can make our breakfast and lunch in and then have a special dinner out. I dont comment very often, but want to thank you for all your wonderful posts of your travels.

Reply to Linda

Hi Linda!

It was a great getaway & surprise!

Totally add it to your bucket list. Your dogs would LOVE it here. I will have to look into Canyon Beach!

Thank you for all of the tips and you have me excited about my next adventure!

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Means so much 🙂

xo

• Savannah Grace

YES! My family loves to take our dog on beach trips! It’s a little harder to do because we have three. My fam’s fav place to vacation is Disney World! We usually go about once a year and stay a good eight to nine days. We have so much fun making memories as a family! I start college in the fall, WAR DAMN ;), and I would love to start going on more trips with my friends. Any suggestions? BTW this cabin looks lovely!

Reply to Savannah Grace

We are planning a beach trip for the boys(pups) next!!

Love that you go to Disney every year! I went for the first time last year.

Definitely start going on trips with your friends! split hotel/airbnb fees and travel as much as you can!!

• Rebecca D.

So glad you had fun! Seeing these pictures made me miss Tennessee. I just moved from there to Arizona.

Do you ever go on vacations with your dogs? I don’t have dogs but I’m sure if I did they would be coming with me whenever possible. We do have a cat and we try to bring him with us if possible (he loves car rides). He has urinary tract disease so I always get nervous leaving him behind.

Do you prefer staying put or exploring? A little of both I think. I like getting out and seeing things but my vacations are mostly about relaxing whenever possible lol.

Reply to Rebecca D.

Thanks Rebecca!

Definitely a big change.

That is so funny you say your cat loves car rides! Mine used to HATE leaving the house. You guys are great cat parents!

I agree! xo

• Erica Palladino

We take my dog everywhere! She gets so sad if we leave without her and she can make any place “home”. When my boyfriend and I travel. We like to do a mix of exploring and relaxing. We definitely like to experience cool things about new places, but we live very busy lives so we like to take the time to relax!! Looks like you had so much fun, I am glad 🙂

Reply to Erica Palladino

I love that! We’ve been doing the same. Although, sometimes I think they LOVE staying back with my parents because they spoil them rotten! I agree about experiencing cool things!

• Linda @ the Fitty

It really depends on the day! I love exploring if there’s a clear path. I like staying indoors on rainy days to video edit.

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Vanessa

Oh my, these picture are gorgeous! Must have been a great time 🙂

Do you prefer staying put or exploring?
    That totally depends on my mood and on where I am. In cities I love to soak up everything and make use of my time as good as I can. But when I am in the countryside I am happy to just sit in the backyard for a few days and read.

Reply to Vanessa

Thank you Vanessa!

It was so much fun 🙂

I totally agree! I am pretty go go go on vacations and I LOVE exploring, but there was something so chill about this cabin that made me want to relax!

• Shalyn

looks like such a lovely weekend!! thanks for sharing and love the photos!

Reply to Shalyn
  • Krista

This looks like so much fun! Let’s be honest though: is any photo montage really complete without at least one photo with coffee? Not sure what I’d do without it! Probably be a zombie, tbh.. 😉

I don’t have a dog (yet..), but if I did, I’d do my best to travel with them as much as possible. I’m set to go to my cousin’s graduation from the Citadel in May, and they’re looking for a pet-friendly house to rent to bring their dog and my parents’ dog, so I’m psyched!

I definitely prefer exploring though to staying in. I think both have their time, but going out to see what’s around is always fun in new places! Glad you guys had an awesome trip!!

Reply to Krista

Hhaha agreed.

Dogs and vacations are just so much more fun! It’s like having your family missing when they aren’t there!

I love exploring too and I’m ALWAYS go go go on vacation, but it was nice to just sit back and relax for once!

🙂

• Brianna

I was excited to see your recap up from Gatlinburg. We are planning our whole family vacation there at the end of July. I was curious to hear about what kind of damage was there from the fires. We are staying in Severville so that is closer to Pigeon Forge but we are hoping to do some shopping in downtown Gatlingburg. Was there damage downtown? From what I read it seemed like the fire was more up in the mountains and that was how so many cabins were destroyed. I love reading your blog and I am glad to see how happy you are!

Reply to Brianna

You’ll have a lot of fun there! ESPECIALLY in July!

The downtown is gorgeous as ever! All the shops are fine and clean. They dealt with a lot of smoke, but none of the fires.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

xo

• Liuye

hi Tara! I don’t have a dog.or cat.I love those cute animals .but for now I can’t raise them .and I can’t face the day they pass away or have a accident .that makes me dying .so ,I know it’s kind of sad to speak this .but I just can’t face it.

Definitely exploring!everywhere! anytime! Of course safety is the first.

Happy birthday! By the way.

Reply to Liuye
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Been waiting for this blog post forever! You and Kyle are the sweetest and the photos of the cabin and around it are so beautiful. I wish I could go myself – unfortunately I’m stuck in the densely packed city of Hong Kong for now!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Awww thanks Charmaine!

The cabin was beautiful and we loved just being out with our dogs.

I know you make the best of Hong Kong! & you make me want to visit!

xo

• Kristin

That looks like such a fun little getaway! I agree, coffee on any porch is amazing! I have a coffee cup problem and always find myself buying mugs I don’t need because they’re cute!

Reply to Kristin
  • Whitney

Happy Birthday Tara!! I have always wanted to go to the Smoky Mountains, and cannot wait to plan a trip now!

-Whitney

Reply to Whitney
  • Carly

Your weekend sounds like a little piece of heaven in the woods! It awesome that the AirBnB was so perfect for the dogs… a pond and a fence what could be better! Looks like a GREAT time was had by all! You and Kyle sound like a great pair together, as are Grumples and Leo!

I love to bring my dog Moose on vacations when I can! He’s quite the traveler and has been to California, Colorado, and Texas! When I go on vacation without him I always wish he was there, so it makes me more inclined to search out places where he can come with! I will surely be using AirBnB for our next adventure with Moose this summer!

I like a mix of staying in and exploring! I am the definition of a homebody so being cozy on a couch is my thing. But being in a new place makes me excited to see the town/area so it makes me more adventurous. I don’t think I could do a full vacation of either, so a balance is always key in my world!

Reply to Carly

Thanks Carly!

The place was SO dog friendly and I think they enjoyed the trip just as much as we did.

& thank you for that. Kyle is the greatest and I am very fortunate to be able to spend my time with him. As for Leo and Grumps…they were meant to be brothers!

I couldn’t agree more with you on that last paragraph!

• Dana

What a thoughtful boyfriend you have to plan an amazing trip…..How wonderful you discovered Gatlinburg! And even better, you’ve put it out there that yes, it’s okay to visit…and that’s the best thing anyone can do is to visit, go out to eat & explore in the Smoky Mountains. They want us to!! It’s in my back yard but due to work, I’m not able to visit as often as I would like to do the “touristy” things. It is great living close enough to go and visit & sleep in your own bed at night! Now that you know about The Great Smoky Mountains, come back & hit the trails, visit Cades Cove for wild life & great photo ops, just a few of the many things there are to do.

Reply to Dana

Hi Dana!

He is so special! & we had such a great weekend.

We planned on doing all the trails and everything over the weekend, but just stayed put instead. We will be back in the summer to do all the trails and explore more!!

xo xo thank you for your tips!