70 Calorie Cheesy Jalapeño Black Bean Burgers

Can you believe Thanksgiving is in two days? It’s a little scary how fast time is flying. I’ve been trying to get things done before I head out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday. I’m not sure if I’m going to take a break for social media or not, we’ll see. Sometimes it’s nice, but sometimes I miss the connection with my readers. I will have a weekly recap posted for you by tomorrow or Thursday morning, so no worries on that end! I won’t leave with a hungry blog 😉 One thing you’ll see in my upcoming recap are these delicious cheesy jalapeño black bean burgers !img_3629
I am always cooking up the Morning Star spicy black bean burgers with sweet potato fries. People always ask if I have my own back bean burger recipe, and I really don’t know why it took me so long. I eat them all the time, they’re crazy pricy, and it would be smarter to just make my own. I decided to do that on Sunday night. I made about 22 burgers and stored them in the freezer. img_3514
Ingredients: *2 Heads of Garlic, *2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, *1 Red Bell Pepper, *1 Green Bell Pepper, *2-3 Jalapeños, *1/2 Large Onion, *1/2 Cup Frozen Corn, *1/2 Cup Whole Grain Bread Crumbs, *1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce, *2 Cans Black Beans, *2 Eggs, *1 Cup Cheese (I used chipotle & habanero), *2 Tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce, *1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper, *1 Teaspoon Salt, *1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder, *1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder, *2 Teaspoons Minced Onion. img_3540
Preheat the oven to 385 degrees.
Add chopped garlic cloves and olive oil to a frying pan and brown the garlic. img_3551
Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, corn, and jalapeños (no seeds) to the sautéed garlic.

Cook on high heat until the vegetables are slightly brown. img_3553
Add the black beans to a strainer and rinse. img_3554
Mash the beans with a fork. img_3557
It’s ok if there are chunks of black beans, I think it adds a better texture. img_3558
Add the sautéed vegetables to the mashed beans. img_3564
Add the eggs, bread crumbs, sweet chili sauce, salt, pepper, onion powder, minced onion, onion powder, soy sauce, and garlic powder.

**I would add the eggs last, so you can taste test the mixture and make sure it has all the right amounts of seasoning. You may want to add more pepper or garlic depending on your preference! **img_3577
Add in the cheese. You can add extra if you want it extra cheesy. img_3587
Form the burgers with your hands. I used a 1/3 sized measuring cup to portion the burgers.

Add the burgers to a lightly greased baking sheet. You can sprinkle a little pepper on top if you want!img_3598
Bake the burgers ten minutes on each side.
img_3608 This recipe makes 22 burgers!
Nutrition: 70 Calories, 11g Carbs, 4g Fat, 6g Protein, 1g Sugar, 6g Fiber
img_3611 You can eat these on a bun or wrapped in lettuce! I stored them in little baggies and placed them into the freezer! To reheat, defrost and bake again. You could microwave them as well.  img_3626
I had air fried sweet potatoes on the side. DELISH!

The burgers were really good! I cannot wait to try them grilled 🙂 It was just way too cold to go outside and grill.

Questions for you!

1. Do you ever make your own veggie burgers?
  2. Do you like spice in your burgers?
  3. What kind of cheese would you use?

img_9735-768x576If you don’t like the idea of black bean burgers, here are my AMAZING turkey burgers!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and SAFE TRAVELS, everyone! xo

Comments

• Brittany

I love homemade bean burgers and these look delish! Love the jalapeño in there.

Reply to Brittany
  • Allie S.

Have you ever used the Pioneer Woman’s recipe? It has been my go to for a few years now.

Reply to Allie S.
  • Jillian

Do you think these burgers would hold together without the cheese? Sometimes me and cheese don’t get along.. which is very sad because its so delicious!

Reply to Jillian
  • Jamie

I’ve never made my own veggie burgers. I’m not usually a fan of them, but I’m always willing to try new foods! Turkey burgers are more my speed.

I love spice! These would be great with some chipotle adobe sauce mixed in.

Pepperjack sounds yummy, but if I did the chipotle sauce I think I would do plain Monterey Jack so that the flavors wouldn’t compete too much.

Reply to Jamie
  • Emilyyyy

Do you like your air fryer? Are they worth the investment?

Reply to Emilyyyy
  • Steph

Two heads of garlic or two cloves??

Reply to Steph
    • Lindy

I have the same question! Two full bulbs of garlic would be a TON. I assume you meant two cloves.

Reply to Lindy

Ah, if only this was also low carb!

• Brooklyn

I have been meaning to do a make my own veggie burger. I think I’ll be trying out this recipe sometime soon! Looks DELICIOUS!
    Have a great Thanksgiving 😀

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Imogen

I will certainly be giving these a go! Thanks for the recipe! There are so many variations to try when it comes to vegetable/bean burgers!

Reply to Imogen
  • Virjinia

Yum, that sounds delicious! I’m definitely gonna try these out!

Reply to Virjinia
  • Abby

These look so good! I buy the Morning Star ones too and they are pretty pricey! I always wanted to make my own, but I never knew where to start. I can’t wait to try these…thanks for the recipe! Happy Thanksgiving!

Abby 🙂

Reply to Abby
  • Melissa

These look super good, Taralynn! I can’t wait to try. 🙂 I’m with you + love spicy cheese; I don’t think I’d tweak a thing.

xo, Melissa || http://www.greenpalatelife.com

Reply to Melissa
  • CarLee Carpenter

This might be my favourite recipe of yours to date!

Do you ever make your own veggie burgers? Yes! Spicy Black Bean Burgers and Spicy Chickpea burgers are my favourite! I’ve also been battling with a portabello/caramelized onion burger recipe but I can’t master the consistency.

Do you like spice in your burgers? Yes – I like spice in everything!

What kind of cheese would you use? I LOVE the kick int he habernero shredded so I probably would have went with the same as you – -but I really like goat cheese, too — wondering how that would pair with the black beans?

*Side note: I can no longer see your instagram posts! I hope it’s not a tech glitch on my end!

Reply to CarLee Carpenter
  • Catherine

It’s always a mission to get everything done before Christmas! We don’t have thanksgiving in uk, but turkey at two occasions sounds great! It must be nice to blog a few times a week in your downtime, I used to really enjoy blogging and think I did it the same amount as you, but found it a little hard to get the posts in and work full time! What do you do when your not blogging? And also, I miss the option to go back and read posts from the past! I love that option in the blogs I read.

Reply to Catherine
  • Teresa

Thank you for this recipe! I love turkey & black bean burgers and don’t have my own recipe. These will be nice to try after all of the heavy food these next couple of days. Also a great one to make ahead & freeze.

Turkey Burgers & Sweet Potato fries are my favorite meal. Every year for my birthday I ask my family to take me to a place called Standard Market here in the Chicago suburbs. It’s more or less a restaurant attached to a farmers market attached to a grocery store attached to a wine and cheese bar they call the ‘cube’. (Why didn’t I think of an incredible idea like this!?) They serve all fresh and natural ingredients. I order the turkey burger on a pretzel roll and it’s served with sweet potato fries and their homemade honey mustard. I think this will be the fifth year I have this meal for my birthday…

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Reply to Teresa
  • Bethany @LuluRuns

I love making homemade veggie burgers! One of my favorite recipe is your chickpea veggie burger recipe! I’ve also made a couple black bean burger versions, which I love too.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your family! Enjoy!

Reply to Bethany @LuluRuns