Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole - Simply Taralynn

Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole

PREP TIME: 23 minutes

COOK TIME: 45 minutes

SERVES: 15
Casseroles are the way to go when you’re cooking for your family, a tailgate, or need to bring a dish in for the office. A couple nights ago, I made a delicious spaghetti squash casserole filled with cheese, broccoli and little smokies. I brought it over to my family’s house for dinner and we all sat around enjoying it. I love the addition of the spaghetti squash because it lightens it up, adds more fiber, and has a unique texture. This would be a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables.

Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole - Simply Taralynn Gather your ingredients

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
  • 3 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheese
  • 3 Cups Steamed Broccoli
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1/2 Stick Butter
  • 1 Package of Little Beef Smokies, Sliced
  • 1/2 Cup Cheese Crackers
  • 1 Tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt

IMG_0914

Prepare spaghetti squash by slicing it in half and removing the seeds.

IMG_0918Slice the squash into smaller pieces to speed up the cooking process. Place the pieces in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-15 minutes. *You can also prepare the squash my baking it. Lay it flat on a baking pan with the centers down for 60 minutes.

IMG_0949

IMG_0952

IMG_0953

IMG_0959

IMG_0961 Pour in cheese sauce.

IMG_0963 Stir until combined.IMG_0964

IMG_0971

Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole - Simply Taralynn

Bake 30-45 minutes Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole - Simply Taralynn

Store the leftovers in the refrigerator and re-bake or microwave for reheating.

Cheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole - Simply TaralynnCheesy Weeny Spaghetti Squash Casserole

PREP TIME: 23 minutes

• 1 Tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt

DIRECTIONS

1.  Gather your ingredients
  2.  Prepare spaghetti squash by slicing it in half and removing the seeds.
  3.  Slice the squash into smaller pieces to speed up the cooking process. Place the pieces in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-15 minutes. *You can also prepare the squash my baking it. Lay it flat on a baking pan with the centers down for 60 minutes.
  4.  While the squash is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce. In a pan on medium-high heat, melt the butter with the milk.
  5.  Once the butter is melted, reduce heat to medium, add two cups of cheese and stir.
  6.  While the cheese is melting, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash into a large mixing bowl using a fork. *The squash will be very hot. Wear oven mitts while holding onto squash.
  7.  Add the sliced little smokies and cooked broccoli to the bowl with the spaghetti squash.
  8.  Pour in cheese sauce.
  9.  Stir until combined.
  10.  Add in garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, and salt. Give it a quick taste test to see if it has enough seasoning. Not all squashes are the same size, so the flavor will vary.
  11.  Heat oven to 375 degrees. Pour spaghetti squash mixture into a large casserole dish. Crush the cheese crackers and sprinkle them over the casserole with one cup of cheese. Add a dash of black pepper over the top.
  12.  Bake 30-45 minutes
  13.  Enjoy!

THREE QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

1. What is your favorite spaghetti squash recipe?
  2. Do you remember the first time you tried spaghetti squash?
  3. What is for dinner tonight?
Check out more of my Food Lion Recipes by clicking the logo above!

Comments

• Stephanie

This looks so good! I never had spaghetti squash until I found your blog a few years ago. I definitely want to give this a try!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Christine

Oh my gosh,where did you get that adorable little plate? It’s adorable!

Reply to Christine
  • Sarah Jones

Oh this was so delicious! Thank you for the recipe. My little ones loved it! & loved the “baby hot dogs”

Reply to Sarah Jones
  • Selin

I’d love to see more spaghetti squash recipes!

Reply to Selin
  • Dev

yum!

Reply to Dev
  • Beth

what cheese crackers did you use

Reply to Beth
  • Beth

What cheeese crackers did you use

Reply to Beth
  • Beth

What cheese crackers did younuse

Reply to Beth
  • shanna

that looks delicious! minus the little smokies. sausages like that upset my stomach unless I eat them in small servings. like 4. I love little smokies though! I think pretty much any type of meat would work in this casserole, which makes it even better!
    I have been eating spaghetti squash for as long as I can remember. my favorite dish is a spaghetti squash lasagna. just like lasagna, but layer squash instead of pasta.
    dinner tonight is vegetarian southwest baked potatoes.

Reply to shanna

Little smokies were always served with mac & cheese as a kid! One of my favorites 🙂 You could probably chop them up smaller too 🙂

I also LOVE spaghetti squash lasagna!

& vegetarian southwest baked potatoes sound awesome!

• Laura

This sounds really good right now…even though its 10:33 in the morning haha pregnancy cravings.

Reply to Laura
  • Heather @ Polyglot Jot

That looks great! I’ll have to sub with lactose free cheese like veggie shreds or cabot cheddar but that would be awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot
  • Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

1. Hmm. Honestly, I haven’t found any spaghetti squash recipes that I love. Every thing I have tried seems to end up watery. So, still on the hunt!

2. I do, it was years ago before the whole craze started actually.

3. Dinner tonight. The BF is in charge. But my guess is meatballs & whatever else he comes up with. We had a bunch leftover from the potluck we went to yesterday.

Reply to Jessie @ The Acquired Sass

It really depends how you cook the spaghetti squash. I can’t stand a watery squash! Spaghetti and meatballs sounds so goooooood for dinner!

• Jen H.

Hi Taralynn!

1. I like to make my take on Cattiatore and sautee up a bunch of peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomato chunks, parmesan in pasta sauce and then top that over spaghetti squash to make it heartier! Its very good and my own little concoction 🙂

2. I do remember the first time I made spaghetti squash. My mom thought I was nuts roasting this ‘pumpkin/gourd’ looking thing in the oven! It took me a few bites to get use to the taste and texture but after that I was hooked!

3. I had a late run at the gym tonight and came home starving. I sautéed up some onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and shrimp in some soy sauce and toasted sesame oil! It was so tasty and took only 15 minutes to whip up!

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday and watched some football today!

Reply to Jen H.

Wow! That sounds fancy and simply amazing.

Lol, my mom and I actually thought a melon was a spaghetti squash…years ago. whoops.

AND you should like an amazing cook! I’m hungry now!

• Alison

Do you have the nutrition facts for this?

Reply to Alison
  • Brooklyn

Mmm I love spaghetti squash!
    The first time I had it was when I was sick at my grandparent’s house.
    My family was visiting them and I’m pretty sure I interrupted their date night by staying home while the rest of my family went out.
    Anyways, my grandpa made his home made spaghetti sauce (my favourite) to go with the spaghetti squash.
    I was instantly hooked!

Reply to Brooklyn
  • Mindy

I made this sunday night for the kids and they loved it!

Reply to Mindy

This is definitely a pot luck winner. I’ll be adding extra cheese to garnish and melt on top!