Halloween Mountain House Weekend

12200541_937369346309642_361889823_nAlthough I wish I could go back and relive the weekend all over again, it sure feels good to be reconnected with cell phone service, my computer, and my own bed.

As Rachel and I were hiking up a mountain a few months ago, we came up with the idea of having a Halloween party in the mountains with our friends. October is such a beautiful month to be in the mountains and I was so excited to take photos of the fall scenery. I was also looking forward to seeing everyone after being away in Washington D.C. for so long.

We packed up the car around one and headed up so we could decorate before everyone got there.12204533_937369352976308_1696068267_nIt was supposed to be a two-hour drive, but it turned into a three and a half hour drive because we got distracted and stopped about five times for “decorating purposes.”IMG_9052The house took our breath away. It was so quiet and peaceful, but we were about to change that for the weekend.

IMG_9055

This called for a toast!

IMG_9056 IMG_9057IMG_9059 IMG_9061 IMG_9064 IMG_9066I just couldn’t put the camera down.

IMG_9037The mountain house was located on Lake Lure. This is the place where Dirty Dancing was filmed.

IMG_9038 IMG_9039 IMG_9043 IMG_9047

We had two sets of corn hole out and other games planned.

12207945_937149319664978_1149760881_n 12200474_937369332976310_1806291736_n

After decorating and putting away all the groceries, we finished our bottle of champagne and waiting for our friends to arrive.

IMG_9041IMG_9050 IMG_9054

This place had fishing, canoeing, paddle boats, hiking, and a swimming dock.

12200942_937149316331645_408742358_nThere were people swimming in the water. I don’t know how they did it…it was 55 degrees outside.

IMG_9068We found a place that could sleep fifteen of us. It had an adorable loft and a downstairs. The fireplace was my favorite part.

IMG_9077

I am not a streamer expert, so this was stressful. I dropped the streamers off the top of the deck a couple of times and it was a pain pulling them all the way back up. It was a long way down…but I think they turned out pretty well.

We grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, baked french fries, and had other finger foods out. No one was going home hungry.

12188352_937149289664981_58367540_n 12188583_937142126332364_1225949025_n

Trouble makers holding the culprits.

12207626_937149292998314_890629050_n12188471_937139839665926_1483386187_n  12208157_937369319642978_1298649411_n

IMG_9081

Brett and Rachel also had birthdays last week so it was a great excuse to make cupcakes and celebrate.  IMG_9083 IMG_9087 IMG_9092 IMG_9094 IMG_9106

IMG_9095I don’t even know who to give credit to for these photos. This is what happens when you leave your camera lying around.

IMG_9099 IMG_9121We were safe in a house full of pharmacists, nurse practitioners, and gynecologist.

IMG_9128 IMG_9137 IMG_9152 IMG_9154Even though we all went to bed around five am, I was up at nine. I always fight the urge to wake up, but it’s impossible.

IMG_9169 IMG_9172I made a pot of coffee and headed out on the deck to relax.

IMG_9174 IMG_9177 IMG_9164Once everyone started waking up around eleven, I headed into the kitchen to whip up breakfast!

IMG_9167We had scrambled eggs, bacon, blueberry pancakes, regular pancakes, quiche, toast, mimosas, coffee, yogurt with fruit, and donut balls.

IMG_9180Back at it in the morning.

12200731_937369316309645_1194124182_n 12202431_937149309664979_1799911313_nI was in tequila recovery mode and had a salad and a juice. I needed something to cure the pain…it gets worse with age.

IMG_9193It was costume time!

IMG_9198I was in D.C. for almost a month, so we scratched our original costume idea (because we weren’t going to see each other until the day before the trip) and went with an easier choice, the angel and the devil. We will do something more creative next year!

IMG_9200

We ordered our dresses from ASOS and added accessories.

IMG_9211I loved Alicia’s and Patrick’s costumes!  They’re adorable.

IMG_9214We were going to go barefoot, but it was toooooo cold out on the deck and so I was stuck with my boots. I know they don’t go with the costume, but they were the comfiest.

IMG_9222We made more food around five. Pizza, fries, salads, subs, cheese, crackers, veggie trays, and everything else in the fridge.

IMG_9184 IMG_9187

I was impressed with my salad rig. It had carrots, hummus, spring mix blend, crackers, tomato, avocado, pepperjack cheese, and balsamic.

IMG_9194 IMG_9213  12207936_937370822976161_164798687_nIMG_9245 12200541_937369216309655_1320380951_n 12200587_937369296309647_818749846_n

BACK TO THE GAMES!

12200828_937369326309644_577840339_n 12212134_937369182976325_140738784_n

We spent all day Saturday watching the football games and playing more drinking games. We had an Iowa win and a Notre Dame win!

12202009_937369669642943_446070518_n 12204843_937369196309657_740956754_n

We played flip cup around the table and Jenga at the same time. Whoever was last to flip the cup had to pull out a Jenga piece. Each piece had a rule written on it.

12205111_937369272976316_902214752_n  12207750_937369646309612_60226323_n 12204934_937369189642991_1449903289_n

I stuck to water Saturday night because I can’t do two days in a row. I made a trip to the grocery store to grab necessities for the house and we thought it was necessary to buy a giant pink horse too. Plus, the grocery store was the only place I could get cell reception. I had to Instagram somehow 🙂

IMG_9246

I fell asleep after the Notre Dame game Sunday night and was up early Sunday to clean up the house and make breakfast.

IMG_9281

One of our friends brought spinach feta quiche and it was delicious.

IMG_9280

I made eggs, and baked up the rest of the tots.

IMG_9233 IMG_9242It poured all day Sunday, but it was relaxing.

IMG_9227

I relaxed on the porch with coffee listening the rain fall onto the water.

IMG_9254 IMG_9262 IMG_9272Rachel and I cleaned up the rest of the house and then headed out at ten. It was dreary and a great day to sleep off the weekend.

IMG_9290I had to stop and take a photo of the creepy house on the hill.

When I got back into town, I went out to lunch before the football games.

12202169_937367642976479_772138239_nWe went to my favorite salad spot, Bakersfield. I love their Johnny salad!

I spent the rest of Sunday doing laundry and hanging out with Grumples. This is going to be a crazy week and I’m out of town again on the weekend. Hopefully it’ll slow down soon!

Comments

• Briana Marshall

Where was this ? I am thinking of having a bachelorette party on a lake seems so nice

Reply to Briana Marshall
  • Madison

Wow so funny I just ran across this on Pinterest. That “creepy house on the hill” and the tiny tiny town you drove through to get to lake lure is in my town. That house was beautiful at one point and it got ran into the ground. About 5 years ago they began renovations (which is why there is a huge hole behind the house where if you step out the back door you fall a billion feet) but then they just gave up. Glad you enjoyed lake lure. It truly is beautiful and the only enjoyable part of growing up in this small town.

Reply to Madison
  • Anonymous

You’re beautiful!! Thank you so much for this inspirational blog! You have inspired me to get healthy and to stop eating junk….. Before its too late? you’re beautiful NEVER forget it?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Maggie

Your pictures are beautiful! What camera do you use?

Reply to Maggie
  • Mousy

You look pretty! My friend and I want to be the angel and the devil too next year!

Reply to Mousy
  • Amber

Looks like you had an amazing time and the pictures are beautiful. One important question: Did I spy a Gamecock cornhole table? LOL ?

Reply to Amber
  • Sarah

Beautiful photos of your weekend! You look so refreshed! a well deserved getaway!

Sarah
    sefoster8.blogspot.ca

Reply to Sarah
  • Demi

Gorgeous shots!

Reply to Demi
  • Cendal

You should be a photographer for magazines!

Reply to Cendal
  • Melanie

What a fun weekend! Love the costumes! 🙂

Reply to Melanie
  • Amanda

It sounds like you had a fun weekend- what a beautiful area!

Reply to Amanda
  • Kristin

Wow!!! What a beautiful view for the weekend. I can see why you have so many pictures, I would have taken that may too. Looks like a fun get away!

Reply to Kristin
  • Rebecca

You’re pictures are GORGEOUS! Do you use an iphone or a professional camera? I’m really getting into photography and always looking for tips! I especially love all the colors of the leaves in your pics! Oh, Fall!

Reply to Rebecca
  • Tara

Where has Tino been?

Reply to Tara

Tino lives with Nick and I was in D.C. for three weeks.

• Sandra

Hi I live in Las Vegas. I was searching cute fall pics for my background on my phone and found yours. Which now I totally want to go to North Carolina. I’m looking at tickets and I don’t know what dates would work best that I can enjoy the trees changing colors and that me and the kids could enjoy the lake. U did mention it was pretty cold. Plus the house that you stayed at was it a hotel or a cabin ?? I don’t know where to stay so I can get a beutiful view like that. I would totally appreciate it if you could get to me. Thanks a bunch.

Reply to Sandra
  • Julie

What a cool idea! All of the food looks divine, as well as your pictures! What kind of camera do you use?

Reply to Julie
  • Jessie

That house looks so nice! Glad you had fun. Love how realistic you are!

Reply to Jessie
  • Kalli

That is such a gorgeous view! My family has been talking about going somewhere real pretty next Fall so I’ll definitely have to show them this place!

Reply to Kalli
  • Kalli

That is such a pretty view! My family has talked about going somewhere pretty next Fall and I’ll definitely have to recommend this place!

Reply to Kalli
  • Giusi

It’s such a pleasure to see you happy Taralynn ! I really mean it ! 🙂

Reply to Giusi
  • Kristin C

Gorgeous! I used to work about 10 minutes from Lake Lure.
    This is the first time in 6 years that I am not living in the mountains during the fall. At least I can live through your pictures, right?

Reply to Kristin C
  • Elizabeth

Your friend group seems really fun! Where did you all meet?
    Loveee all the scenery pictures, #backyardgoals

Reply to Elizabeth
  • MacStucker

I love that you call Bakersfield your “favorite salad spot”!! LOL There’s one here in Cincinnati. I love the Johnny salad too, but the tacos. Oh man, the tacos with their guacamole!! MMMMMMM.

Reply to MacStucker
  • Liz

Does crystal light ever bother your stomach? Every time I drink it, i get horrible cramping and a headache. Maybe from the sugar substitute? I really want to be able to drink it since it tastes yummy and is low calorie, but no such luck.

Reply to Liz
  • Denver

You look hawt!

Reply to Denver
  • Jacquelyn K.

Beautiful scenery! Also loving your costume dresses – I want one for New Year’s Eve! Why didn’t nick and the boys dress up?

Reply to Jacquelyn K.

Thanks Jacquelyn!

The dresses are really cute and come in different colors. Nick came up late Friday night and brought a mask lol (typical) He was dressed up earlier for his work, so I think he had enough 😉

• Betsy

Your photos are absolutely breathtaking. Can we be friends?

Reply to Betsy
  • Jen

Omg so beautiful. Where is this cabin? Did you rent it? I live in Charlotte and have been trying to find a pretty cabin like this one to rent for a weekend!

Reply to Jen
  • Tara

That looks like it was a blast! You look really happy! And, that is a sweet picture of you and Nick!

Reply to Tara
  • Tessa

I’m loving your dark hair! It looks great with the red costume. You rocked it!

Reply to Tessa
  • Desire

How did you lose so much weight?

Reply to Desire
  • KellyAnne

This post was so much fun. It makes me want to be friends with all of you! I love how fun your posts are and so “realistic.” I read a lot of blogs and they seem so perfect, but you really know how to have a good time. I think that is why yours is my favorite. Where did you get those teal solo cups???? I am having a party for my friend’s birthday next month and her favorite color is teal.

Reply to KellyAnne
  • Paige

OMG! I LIVE DOWN THE ROAD FROM THAT HOUSE! I can’t believe you were so close to me!

Reply to Paige
  • Leslie

You look adorable and I love the devil/angel idea!

Reply to Leslie
  • Courtney

You should consider a boob job…

Reply to Courtney
  • ML Bishop

We’ve had shit foliage up here in New England- so it was awesome to see your pics! Just stunning!

Reply to ML Bishop
  • Kerri Mcgrail

Looks so fun! love the idea of renting a cabin! The fall foliage is so beautiful- you captured it with some amazing photos! I can’t really do two nights in a row of drinking either- it is too much for me!!

Reply to Kerri Mcgrail
  • Allison

I have followed your blog for a few years now and I love keeping up with your life especially since you moved to Charlotte, NC. But I was really excited to read this post because you were in my county! I am from Rutherfordton, NC, and I pass by this house all of the time. I have always imagined what it might look like if it were renovated. Glad you had a fun weekend!

Reply to Allison
  • Lyndsey

You look so good.

Reply to Lyndsey
  • Katie @ Katie Wanders

That house was so beautiful omg great find! Love the idea of a cabin weekend away with friends 🙂

Reply to Katie @ Katie Wanders
  • Melissa

what an amazing weekend!! My friends and I all get a cabin each year around January but the changing leaves in your pictures is making me rethink our strategy..

What’s in that Jonny salad?? It looks so good!

Reply to Melissa

Thanks Melissa!

January was our plan last year but we got snowed out! I bet it’s still gorgeous up there.

The johny salad has mixed greens, bacon, cotija cheese, hearts of palm, avocado, red onion, toasted almonds, and a side of buttermilk chive dressing.

• Mandy

Looked like a fun weekend! The creepy house picture is really pretty!

Reply to Mandy
  • Emily Weir

Beautiful pictures! I would be so freaked out at a cabin in the woods on Halloween…sounds like a horror movie waiting to happen 😉 Looks like it was loads of fun though!

Reply to Emily Weir

Thanks Emily!

It was less freaky because we had so many people, but we totally talked about it! The creepy thing was that the cabin’s home kept ringing and no one would say anything when we’d answer! Plus at night, we couldn’t see ANYTHING outside, and we kept hearing random things walking around. It was most likely an animal ,but STILL creepy on Halloween!

• Jacqueline

I’m putting Lake Lure on my bucket list! I freakin love the movie Dirty Dancing. For some reason, I always had it in my head it was filmed in the Catskills. Great photos – you and all your friends look super happy 🙂 what a dream Halloween weekend!

Reply to Jacqueline

Thank you Jacqueline!

It could have been filmed in both maybe! But, they have signs around the area with “Dirty Dancing Filmed Here” 🙂 Definitely put this on your list!

• Heather

I loved this post! The pictures were GORGEOUS!!!! It looks like you all had a great time in the mountains! Hope you get some rest this week 🙂

Reply to Heather