Super Light Red Potato Salad

IMG_9523

It’s summer, which means bbq time! It’s the time of year for steaks, burgers, hot dogs, brownies, and potato salads! I love potato salad, but it’s not the healthiest option. You can make bbq food pretty healthy if you make some swaps. I like to trade the burgers and hot dogs for veggie kabobs, grilled shrimp and chicken, trade brownies for watermelon, and make the creamy salads healthier. I’m trying hard this summer to keep my foods fresh, light, and healthy. Sure, I’ll have a cookie and a burger here and there but I really want to take advantage of the summer and get into great shape. Last night, I made a little bbq meal. I made a couple of swaps and everything tasted great!

IMG_9527

Light Red Potato Salad: (serves 6)
6 medium-large red potatoes, 1/2 celeriac, diced, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1/4 cup sweet relish, 4 hard boiled eggs, 1/2 red onion, sprinkle of celery seeds, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 2 tablespoon light mayo, 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt. Salt & Pepper to taste.

Boil potatoes in water until tender. While potatoes are boiling, sauté the celeriac on high heat in olive oil with salt and pepper. Quarter them, with skin, and add them to a mixing bowl with the egg yolks from the hard boiled eggs and celeriac. Combine all ingredients with the potatoes (except egg whites). Determine weather you want it sweeter by adding more relish, or more savory by adding more yellow mustard, or creamier by adding more yogurt. After getting the flavor right, mix in the chopped egg whites. Let the potato salad chill in the refrigerator for an hour or until cooled.

Per serving: (1/2 cup) 155 Calories, 21g Carbs, 3.5g Fat, 8 g Protein, 5g Sugar

IMG_9531

I used Eden Organic low sodium/low fat baked beans for one of my sides, and grilled bbq chicken. The chicken was boiled on high for fifteen minutes and then thrown on the grill with two tablespoons of bbq sauce until fully cooked! I like to boil the chicken first to keep it from getting dry.

IMG_9532

I also made some seamed broccoli to go with this meal! A broccoli salad would be very appropriate for a summer bbq as well! Recipe here!

What is your favorite healthy bbq summer swap?

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 11.39.15 AMDon’t for get to check out the new items in my shop!!!

Comments

• Suzanne

I made this for my daughters graduation last night and it was a hit at the party. She’s trying to lose weight before college, and it’s nice to see lighter recipes like these. Thank you for your ideas. I’m 45 years old and have been following your blog for years. Keep up the inspiration!

Reply to Suzanne
  • Kams

Yum! I will definitely be making this 🙂

Reply to Kams
  • Biju

I have no control to check them. Tonight I’ll cook something like these.

Reply to Biju
  • Jill @ Champagne for Everyday

This look amazing! My aunt makes an incredible potato salad with a little bit of olive oil and vinegar – super light, and so tasty!

Reply to Jill @ Champagne for Everyday
  • Kate

Have you ever tried potato salad made with a vinaigrette rather than mayo? I think it’s so much more versatile and has such a fresh taste! I also love tuna salad with oil and vinegar instead of mayo. I think both are delicious and a great way to make healthier options.

Reply to Kate
    • Emily

Or if you’re like me and enjoy these types of dishes creamier, use part cottage cheese! I make creamy dressings with cottage cheese too. The cottage cheese I buy only has 10 calories a tbsp, so I use that, add some seasonings, maybe a tiny splash of olive oil or water, then blend! Creamy without the high fat and calories! Super easy way to get the ranch dressing taste without the negative sides!

Reply to Emily
  • Cassie

I love me some good potatoes! These are great macros! 😀 Amazing!!

Reply to Cassie

Celeriac? I haven’t beard of that before.

• Kristin C

Yum! So ready for a cook out!
    What is celeriac, ma’ dear?

Reply to Kristin C
    • Ellie

It’s a celery root. You can buy it at a grocery store – it’s that big round root looking thing 🙂

Reply to Ellie
  • Emily

LOL so jealous you can call this seaason summer right now :/ 40 degrees in wisconsin. heat is still on.

Reply to Emily