Dickey’s BBQ

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is why I have been working out so much lately. I’ve been getting my Southern food fix in. I keep hearing… “you have to try this! you have to try that”! And so I do! Lily and I went out to dinner to get our bbq on.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I didn’t want to go with a salad at a bbq place. I couldn’t imagine the snark that would appear in my comments…and even I think it’s silly…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I ordered the 1 meat plate. I had the mac and cheese, bbq baked beans, and a roll on the side. I could only take a few bites of both because they were so rich!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I ordered the bbq chicken as my meat. It wasn’t too bad!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Lilly said the pulled pork was spot on!

What is your favorite bbq place in the South?!

Comments

• Gaby

Mutt’s BBQ in Greer, SC. They hve awesome sweet potato souffle!

Reply to Gaby
  • Nicole

You should try Moe’s Original BBQ in Matthews, NC (outskirts of Charlotte). GOOD STUFF!!

Reply to Nicole
  • Amanda

This looks amazing! I’ll have to make the trip to Omaha to see how they are! And I know what you mean about Hickory Park… SO DELICIOUS. Thankfully I also live about two hours away, but my brother studies at Iowa State, so I do make the trip pretty frequently!

Reply to Amanda
  • Erin

You didn’t order a salad because that would be silly … then you took “a few bites” of your food. And that’s not silly? (eyeroll)

Reply to Erin
  • Sarah

Southern Soul BBQ in St Simons, Georgia is the best!!

Reply to Sarah
  • Lauren

Big bbq fan!! I’ve never eaten bbq in the South, but I know you’re a fellow Iowa girl so I’m assuming you know (and love) Jethros and Hickory Park! Thank goodness I live two hours away or I’d be there all the time!

Reply to Lauren
  • Adria

Oooh my that looks so good. But ya, afraid I’d have to run an extra couple miles too after eating that! I indulge every once in and still manage to “go back” to my diet and keep it off. I really enjoy reading your posts, thanks for sharing.

Reply to Adria
  • mookie

Our Dickies where I live in GA closed down because no one liked it. I’m not a huge BBQ fan but the best BBQ I have had is always in the small hole in the wall places. That’s where the soul is and what makes food in the south important. BBQ is different throughout the south so it may be hard for you to decide :p

Reply to mookie
  • Kendra

Alston Bridges BBQ in shelby, nc is the BEST BBQ! It’s about an hour from Charlotte, but it is worth it! 🙂

Reply to Kendra
  • Sarah

oh my gosh, looks so delicious. Need to go make some amazing mac and cheese now!

xx Sarah | Loser Girl Wins

Reply to Sarah
  • Shannon

That bbq looks delicious! I noticed that you said “I could only take a few bites of both because they were so rich!”; how do you stop eating after only a few bites of something? Once I start eating, I have to finish it because 1) I feel bad throwing away food, 2) I find it very difficult to leave food on my plate, 3) I can’t tell if a food has too much salt/sugar/etc. in it (I love sweet things and salty things), and 4) I have no clue what you mean by something that is “rich”. Would you do a post on how to stop eating after only a few bites and resisting the urge to eat everything on your plate (I find that, even if I don’t like to food very much, that I still feel like I have to keep eating and finish my entire meal)? Thanks for being such an inspiration to me!

Reply to Shannon
    • Katie

I do the same exact thing, I’d love to hear Tara’s thoughts about it 🙂

Reply to Katie
  • Jenell

We have Dickey’s BBQ out here in California! I haven’t tried them yet, but have heard they are good.

Reply to Jenell
  • Jessica

I order salads at BBQ places but ask for smoked or pulled chicken on top so I can get the flavor of the meat with my greens. Nothing wrong with it IMO 🙂

Reply to Jessica
  • Joslyn

We just got a Dicky’s here in Omaha, NE! Now I will definitely have to try it out 🙂

Reply to Joslyn
  • Anete

Hey, Im glad you are doing well there! 🙂 I enjoy reading your posts!
    And what’s about Jeremy? You haven’t told anything about him lately! 🙂

Reply to Anete
    • ashhash14

Yeah! I was wondering the same thing. I’m SO glad to see Taralynn get much-needed girl time but I do hope all is swell with the man. 😉 P.S. Now I REALLY wanna go to Charleston!

Reply to ashhash14
      • Taylor

Jeremy and Taralynn broke up a few months ago. . .

Reply to Taylor
  • Katie

Mac’s on South Boulevard in CLT!

Reply to Katie