Scotcheroos have been a part of all of our family gatherings for the past twenty years. I’ll never forget the first time my mom made one! I was in love with the chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch flavors pulling the chewy Rice Krispies together.
One of the best parts about Scotcheroos is that they are easy to make, and you don’t have to do any baking! You can customize them for ANY holiday by adding festive sprinkles, and you don’t need many ingredients. If you want to make them gluten-free and dairy-free, you can easily make them with dairy-free baking chips and gluten-free Rice Krispies.
I’ve blogged about these delicious treats for years, and I figured it’s a good time to put them into a blog post of their own finally!
How to Make Scotcheroos
1. Mix the sugar and light corn syrup on medium heat until sugar dissolves, and the mixture starts to boil. Stir in peanut butter until it’s melted and creamy.
2. Reduce heat, and pour in the Rice Krispies. Coat well.
3. Press the coated Rice Krispies into a greased serving dish.
4. Melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips together.
5. Spread the chocolatey butterscotch mixture evenly over the Rice Krispies. Top with festive sprinkles!
6. Cover and cool for 1-2 hours!
7. Slice into 24 bars.
Fun & Festive Scotcheroos
- 1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies gluten-free cereal is also an option!
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Chips
Cook the corn syrup and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, and the mixture starts to boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.
Add the Rice Krispies and stir until they're fully coated.
Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray and set aside
Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together on low heat. Spread evenly over the cereal mixture.
Top with sprinkles!
Allow the bars to cool for 1-2 hours.
Cut into 2 x 1-inch bars when fully cooled down.
I’ve been looking forward to the 4th of July all year! It’s one of my favorite holidays, especially after moving into our new house. The neighbors put on the BEST firework show, we love cooking up a bunch of food, and this year it’ll be even more special since our sweet baby will be here celebrating with us! And you better believe these scotcheroos will be on the menu!