This week has been flying by. I finished up my grocery shopping yesterday before the aisles go empty. We have a 100% chance of snow on Sunday, which is unheard of for South Carolina! I am so excited because I love the snow, and it’s even more special when it comes only once a year. But snowstorms down here mean the roads shut down, the grocery stores go empty, and people don’t know how to react. Being from Iowa, we used to have to drive to school in piles of snow, and roads were plowed before we even woke up. I can’t say I miss it, though! I would never trade in my December 70-degree weather for that.
Last Sunday, I made the most delicious baked jalapeño Burger wontons for dinner to go with our Caesar salad. We used to make these jalapeño burgers in the summer, so Kyle wanted to try them rolled up in a wonton. They were so good, and between the two of us, there were only a few wontons leftover! This is a great last-minute recipe idea to whip up if you have people coming over or for a Superbowl appetizer. It took about ten minutes to prepare and ten minutes to bake. We dipped ours in ketchup, but they would also be good in a cheese sauce or aioli.
I love using wontons for appetizers because the combo possibility is literally endless.
Cheesy Jalapeño Burger Baked Wontons
- 1 Lb Hamburger Meat (turkey or beef)
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 Medium Jalapeños chopped
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 24 Small Wontons
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- In a bowl, combine hamburger meat, chopped onions, chopped jalapeños, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and brown sugar together.
- Add the mixture to a pan on medium-high. Cook the meat thoroughly, and mix in the cream cheese.
- Evenly distribute the filling onto the centers of the wontons. Roll them tightly, and add them to a baking sheet. optional* I brushed the leftover grease from the pan onto the tops of the wontons to give them a golden finish
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Use ketchup or a creamy aioli for dipping sauce!
I hope you enjoy these easy cheesy appetizers! 😋
Questions for you!
- What filling flavor should I add to wontons next?
- Are you expecting snow this weekend?