I’m not going to lie. The only reason I made this cake is because “bitches love cake.” (Not because we had company coming over for dinner or anything) During the day, I like to listen to music to get me inspired, motivated, busy, and productive. One of the songs on my playlist is “Decisions” by Borgore featuring Miley Cyrus. Although his interpretation of cake is something totally different, it always makes me crave cake. Not the cake that equals fame and success, but good ole fashioned chocolate cake. The kind of cake that makes your jeans snug, your mouth watering for more, and your taste buds screaming with joy. I don’t care what kind of cake you’re offering, bitches love it.
Please watch this video and then you’ll understand…
“Decisions, but I want it all, so I get it all.
I wanna eat the whole cake.
I’m not sharing, I’m not sharing.
You should have learned how to bake.”
But enough nonsense. Emilee and I had a couple people over for taco tuesday and wanted to make a dessert for after dinner. We found a recipe with great reviews and decided to try it out. Thank goodness for Pinterest.
I like recipes that don’t have too many fancy schmancy ingredients. I like BASIC. I don’t want to travel all around the city to find one special ingredient. If you can’t find it at the grocery store, it doesn’t belong in cake.
Ingredients for Cake: *2 cups all-purpose flour, *2 cups sugar, *3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, *2 teaspoons baking powder, *1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, *1 teaspoon salt, *1 teaspoon espresso powder, *1 cup milk, *1/2 cup vegetable oil, *2 eggs, *2 teaspoons vanilla extract, *1 cup boiling water.
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting: *1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), softened, *1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, *5 cups confectioner’s sugar, *1/2 cup milk, *2 teaspoons vanilla extract, *1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- “Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- For the cake:
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Frost cake”
Instructions for Buttercream Frosting;
- Add cocoa to a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Whisk through to remove any lumps.
- Cream together butter and cocoa powder until well-combined.
- Add sugar and milk to cocoa mixture by adding 1 cup of sugar followed by about a tablespoon of milk. After each addition has been combined, turn mixer onto a high speed for about a minute. Repeat until all sugar and milk have been added.
- Add vanilla extract and espresso powder and combine well.
- If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it appears to wet and does not hold its form, add more confectioner’s sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
So let me talk about this cake. It didn’t live very long.
Talk about perfection. Everyone loved it and I will be saving this recipe to make for birthday and all kinds of special occasions. I wouldn’t make a one single change to this recipe. If you’re looking for a guest pleasing recipe…this is it!
I topped mine with strawberries and almonds.
Just in case you’re looking for the healthier version.
I’m not a Miley fan, but this cake looks FREAKING amazing 🙂
Hahaha I’m loving the song reference! And now I want cake.. ughhh. Thanks Taralynn 😛
Looks delicious! My husband would love it!
Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says
Could I use a hand mixer instead to make the cream?
I was wondering if you have any recommendations on some cookbooks?
Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out says
I love that buttercream recipe! Amazing!!
I made this for my dad as he is a chocolate lover on his birthday and he loved it. I have never had a chocolate cake so moist and rich! My grandma begged me for the recipe!
This was a hit at my office. I made the recipe into cupcakes. I saved the leftover frosting to dip graham crackers in!
you love michael aranda
nice recipe. * * * * *
This was the best paleo cake I’ve ever had in my entire life!
I made this into cupcakes yesterday…officially a fat kid!
This recipes was fantastic!
Thank you for this amazing recipe. Family loved it.