Cheeeeeesy Black Bean Fiesta Brown Rice!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is a very old recipe. (well only a month old) I’ve been hiding it in the vault for a long time (for about a month). I figured I’d go a head and post it before I take off for my morning hike.

My mom is a pro at making rice taste delicious. Rice by itself is just blah and that’s why most people add gobs of butter. This is one of my mom’s quick fixes.

-Prepare 4 servings of brown rice. You can do whichever you prefer, microwave or stovetop.
-Mix in 1 cup of Mexican Cheese, 2 cups of low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained, 1 can of diced fiesta tomatoes, and 2 tbsps of taco seasoning.

Make sure to mix the cheese into the rice when it’s nice and hot. Sometimes she mixes in diced chicken!

You could add sautéed onions and peppers, ground turkey, corn, avocado, or cilantro to make it more Fiesta-ish!

How do you flavor your rice?! (& yes Chinese on top of your rice counts)

Comments

• Celeste

Thank you so much for posting a vegetarian recipe!!! I have missed seeing your posts that were vegetarian-friendly, that’s one of the reasons I started following you a year and a half ago. So THANK YOU! 🙂 Cause this looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!!

Reply to Celeste
  • Taylre

Hi Taralynn!
    I meal prepped this for the week and I’m loving it so far! Super filling and delicious, so thank you for sharing.
    In one your posts awhile ago, you mentioned watching a show that you were loving, that it was better than Breaking Bad and you couldn’t wait for Jeremy to watch it with you? Lol, can you please remind me which show that was? I can’t seem to find it in your past posts…
    Thank you!

Reply to Taylre
  • Rae

People put butter in rice? I have never heard of this before.

I cook my rice in chicken broth instead of water and squeeze the juice of half a lemon in.

Reply to Rae
  • Molly

I made this tonight for the hubby and I, with bell pepper, chicken and topped with salsa! It’s definitely staying in the rotation :]

Reply to Molly
  • Jay

Try mixing in soy sauce, sesame oil and top it with eggs-scramble,sunnyside whatever u like- delicious. Asian style!!:)

Reply to Jay
  • mookie

I like to just put some tumeric, peas and spicy chicken in it. An easy and yummy meal. Growing up to save money my mom used rice as a porridge and she would cook it in milk and mix cinnamon, honey and sometimes raisins in it. It is delicious.

Reply to mookie
  • Judi

I like to mix my rice with every green vegetable I can find. I LOVE broccoli, peas and zucchini. Next time I will add avocado 🙂

Reply to Judi
  • Lauren

I add a lime to my rice. It is unbelievably delicious!

Reply to Lauren