Healthy 77 Calorie Protein Shamrock Shake!

image

It’s that time of year again! The Shamrock Shake is BACK!

Before you get in your car and head over to McDonalds, you may want to head over to their website to check out the ingredients listed in the Shamrock Shake. I used to love grabbing the Shamrock shake this time of year, but now I’ll never go back.

I didn’t want to deprive myself from a Shamrock Shake, so I decided to make a lighter and cleaner version. I feel a lot healthier after making my new years resolution and continuing to eat cleaner. No way could I keep my resolution alive and eat a Shamrock Shake.

I PROMISE (holding out my pinky) mine is just as satisfying, if not more satisfying…knowing that you are nourishing your body while treating it with deliciousness at the same time!

image

They sure are good at abbreviations.

My Ingredients:

-Dried Organic Mint Leaves

-Pure Organic Vanilla

-Baby Spinach

-Truvia

Tera’s Whey Organic Bourbon Vanilla Protein Powder

-365 Whipped Topping

image

That is one impressive Before and after. I didn’t know there were three kinds of corn syrups…all in one recipe…wow!

image

Here is how you make my version.

In the blender, add: 1/2 tsp dried mint, 1 1/2 cups ice,1 cup ice cold water, 1 tsp vanilla and a packet of Truvia (or your choice of sweetener)

image

Add one scoop of  Tera’s Whey Organic Bourbon Vanilla Protein Powder If you want an extra ten grams of protein, add 1 extra scoop.

image

Instead of adding artificial green food coloring, I used fresh spinach. You can’t taste one piece of the spinach in the shake. The mint flavor is strong enough to cover it up.

image

Pour 16 oz of the smoothie into a glass.

image

Top with four tbsp of non-fat organic whipped topping.

image

Optional: Top with all natural colored and flavored sprinkles and a couple mint leaves. (You can find these at Whole Foods in the baking section)

image

I put my glass in the freezer for one hour before making this shake. That way it stays cooler longer and doesn’t melt while you drink it. McDonalds has chemicals for that.

Both shakes are 16 oz.

• 8 1/2 of my shakes = the amount of calories in 1 McCafe Shamrock Shake
  • 23 of my shakes = the amount of fat in 1 McCafe Shamrock Shake
  • They beat me on the protein. If you want more, just add in an extra scoop Tera’s Whey Organic Bourbon Vanilla Protein Powder
  • 46 of my shakes = the amount of sugar in 1 McCafe Shamrock Shake
  • 20 of my shakes = the amount of carbs in 1 McCafe Shamrock Shake

image

I think it’s fair to say my shake is the better option.

Comments

• Karen

I tried the recipe. It was very good. I liked that the mint was not overpowering! I used a different brand of vanilla protein (it belongs to my husband)but over all i really liked it!

Reply to Karen
  • Kb

This looks awesome. Definitely trying this!

Reply to Kb
  • Pamela

Thank you! I just made this, and it was so good. I added a little nonfat vanilla yogurt and used 5 mint leaves, and it is so good 🙂

Reply to Pamela
  • Winka

this looks great
    love your blog.
    i also struggled with anorexia…so glad you overcame it
    you are BEYOUTIFUL

Reply to Winka
  • Cassie

I love this recipe!! I make healthy shamrock shakes all da time 😛

Reply to Cassie
  • Jess

We don’t have this drink in the UK but it certainly looks weird, what flavour is it meant to be?

Reply to Jess
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

Looks good! I don’t drink a lot of smoothies, but this would be fun for St. Patrick’s Day!

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

It’s incredible how many grams of sugar are in beverages at macdonalds, not to mention Starbucks too!

• Andrea

This is absolutely delicious. We don’t get shamrock shakes here in Scotland but this has fast became my go-to protein shake!

Reply to Andrea
  • Nicole

Looks delicious! May need to make this tomorrow for a St. Patty’s Day treat! Just a quick recco though – you may want to start subbing truvia for stevia. Truvia is made by Coca-Cola and is derived from genetically engineered plants and contains natural flavors. Read it might have some icky side-effects, so I switched. Just thought I’d mention it 🙂

Reply to Nicole
  • Theresa

Thanks for this great recipe! I found it (and your blog!) via Pinterest. I can’t wait to read more. I tried my own version of the Shamrock Shake (I linked to you!) here: http://cheetahstripesandzebraspots.blogspot.com/2014/03/you-have-to-try-this.html

Thank you!!

Reply to Theresa
  • Ariella

This looks so good? Where would I find the dried mint leave? Every place I go has liquid mint flavor and fresh mint leaves.

Reply to Ariella
    • Jen D

I think either of those options would still work great, just note they would have a stronger flavor than dried so just use a tiny bit!

Reply to Jen D
  • Jenny

This looks so good! I am so excited to try this out. Thanks for posting!

Reply to Jenny
  • Heather

Instead of Whey could you use almond milk?

Reply to Heather
    • Heather

Nope don’t use almond milk. Makes it too watety. Haha!

Reply to Heather