Candied Walnut Banana Muffins

Baking is one of my true loves. I love blasting the music, taking all the baking essentials out of the cabinets and baking up a storm. I especially love when a recipe turns out so perfect that you want everyone around you to try it so they can experience the magic for themselves. You have to give them the face they can’t say “no” to, the face that says, “turning down a bite would ruin your entire day.” Works like a charm ♥

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

I had some overly ripe bananas sitting on the counter when I got home on Sunday morning. I usually peel and freeze them for smoothies, but I was in the mood to bake and banana bread sounded fantastic! I decided to make the banana bread recipe into muffins so I could send some home with Kyle, bring some over to my neighbors and take a couple over to my parent’s house! Banana nut muffins are my dad’s favorite! I never like to go anywhere empty handed.

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

Ingredients: 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 large eggs, 4 slightly brown bananas, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla,

Candied Walnuts: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 cup oats, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees!

IMG_3112

Cream the sugar and butter together in an electric mixer.

IMG_3113

Use a fork to smash the bananas.

IMG_3114

Add the eggs and banana to the electric mixer. Beat on a low speed.

Sift together flour, soda and salt.

IMG_3118

Mix in the flour bowl and vanilla.

IMG_3111

Melt the butter on the stovetop on medium heat. Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, honey, and walnuts. Cook on medium heat for three to five minutes.

IMG_3116

Turn the heat off and mix in the flour and oats.

IMG_3123

Line a muffin pan with liners. Spoon in the batter, one tablespoon of the candied walnuts, batter, another tablespoon of walnuts, more batter and then top with more candied walnuts! Layering the nuts and batter gave the muffins the perfect texture!

Bake for about 18-22 minutes. All ovens cook differently, so use the toothpick method to check the centers! That will help you determine if they are done. I always take them out about 1-2 minutes before they are fully cooked and let them continue to cook in the pan. This keeps the muffins SUPER moist.

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

If you’re looking for a DELICIOUS recipe for banana nut muffins, I promise that these will not disappoint. It was confirmed with everyone who tried one! If you have an office party coming up, a brunch with friends, or just need muffins for the house…you’ll want to make these! They are the people pleasers.

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

This recipe makes 16 muffins! As you can see, some of the muffins were eaten and did not make it to the photo! Can you blame the muffin thiefs?

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

I am going to make a healthy version of this recipe with added blueberries sometime this weekend! I will also be making homemade peanut butter cookies, so be on the lookout!

Candied Walnut Banana Muffins ?

Questions for you!

1. What is your favorite muffin flavor?
  2. Do you enjoy baking?
  3. Who is the best baker you know?

SaveSave

Comments

• chase

Best muffins i have ever had

Reply to chase
  • Pita

I made these into minis!

Reply to Pita
  • Sandra

I am going to try to make a vegan version

Reply to Sandra
  • Nicole

I made this same recipe with gluten free flour. It was superb.

Reply to Nicole
  • Caren

These lasted two hours in my house. My boys (who hate banana) gobbled them all up!

Reply to Caren
  • Teresa

loved these!

Reply to Teresa
  • Danielle

I hate you for how good these were!

Reply to Danielle
  • BELE

THESE WERE AMAZING!

Reply to BELE
  • Jillian

BRAN MUFFINS!!! They are my absolute fave. I’m sure as a child I never thought I would say that. My parents have the best recipe for sugar free bran muffins and they are just the best to have with a cup of coffee in the morning.

I do enjoy baking sometimes but I have to be in the right mood. Sometimes I get bored half way through and don’t like doing the clean up!

My mom is the best baker, she always does her own thing with the recipe never following it to a t but everything always turns out delicious. And let’s be honest any type of food made by mom always tastes better!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I’ll be sure to try it next time I’m in the baking mood 🙂

Reply to Jillian

OH YUM!! I bet those are great with coffee!!

You definitely have to be in a “baking mood” and I always spot clean the kitchen before starting and clean up as I go because it makes the end cleanup so much easier!

Food by mom ALWAYS tastes better!!

🙂

• Leslie

I just made these for my office. Everyone wanted the recipe! They turned out so well!

Reply to Leslie
  • Amanda L

Wow those look amazing!Brown spotty bananas are my life! haha

1. Cream cheese and peach muffins. I love a good gooey centre!

2. LOVE baking! Lately I have been playing around with muffins that include no refined sugar and have just been using bananas and a bit of rice malt syrup for sweetness. Still working on perfecting my recipe but my husband doesn’t seen to mind the 100 muffins I’ve been making haha.

3. My Grandma makes the most amazing shortbread and cheese straws, and cornflake cookies and peanut fudge and ….. I could go on forever :p

Reply to Amanda L
  • Karolina

Wow, it looks tasty. I love baking muffins of millet and raspberries. And I haven’t favourite baker, because there are so many. 🙂 Sometimes on the breakfast I make muffins of eggs and vegetables. 🙂

Reply to Karolina
  • Jessica Anderson

1. Lemon Poppyseed or cranberry orange.

2. I love baking! I just don’t always like having sweets around the house so I’m working on either making healthier versions (just made your peanut butter protein cups and the boyfriend LOVES them!) or giving most of them to people and only keeping a few for us at the house.

3. Both of my grandmas, hands down!

Reply to Jessica Anderson
  • Kelsey

1.What is your favorite muffin flavor?
    Blueberyy for sure!!!

2.Do you enjoy baking?
    I enjoy cooking anything and everything! 🙂

3.Who is the best baker you know?
    I would have to say my great-grandma was the best cook and baker ever. I like to think I can cook because of her and everything she taught me. My mom does make the BEST strawberry cake tho 😛

Reply to Kelsey

LOVE BLUEBERRY TOO!!

SAME HERE!!!

Love that she passed down the talent to you! 🙂 I need to learn how to make a good strawberry cake! It’s one of my dad’s favorites.

1. OH THE P WORD….PUMPKIN! In a couple months, I will go through my pumpkin craze. You should definitely give these a try!

2. You should like a great baker!!!

3. Brownie cake covered in bacon? yes please!

• Ashton Jury

#1 I have to say that my all time favorite is probably pumpkin followed by either chocolate (because who doesn’t love it) or blueberry! I seriously am counting down the days though to pumpkin spice season again!I have never actually made banana muffins but these look pretty tasty so I think I’m going to have to give them a try.
    #2 I am definitely a serious baker. I love baking cakes, cupcakes, cookies and am looking into attempting my all time favorites eclairs and macaroons!
    #3 I would have to say my bestie Melissa is one of the best bakers I know, we love trying new recipes on each other and I swear everything she makes tastes amazing! Last year for my birthday she made me this amazing brownie cake covered in BACON! Even though she doesn’t bake as often as she used to being that she’s just busy being a mom, and working full time nights at Trader Sams (She is also the best bartender I know as well)

Reply to Ashton Jury

Muffins are great, but I rarely ever eat dessert anymore or anything sweet unless it’s a fat bomb (i eat a very low carb diet). But somehow seeing other people eat these other foods that I don’t seems really satisfying to me!

• CAE

Made these today. Delicious!!!!!!! Used applesauce instead of butter. They turned out great!!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Reply to CAE
  • Zully Hernandez

My favorite muffin flavor is blueberry and I love to bake, just like you. I honestly don’t know many people that bake, but my father in law makes a mean cheesecake 🙂

Reply to Zully Hernandez
  • Jenny

These look incredible! I even have some over-ripe bananas on hand right now, I think I’m going to have to try these!

1. My favorite muffin flavor is a toss up between lemon poppyseed and blueberry.
    2. I LOVE baking and have an incredible lemon/blueberry muffin recipe passed down from my mom.
    3. I have a coworker who bakes almost every week and brings her creations into the office. She’s vegan so all of her stuff is vegan and sometimes even gluten free (but doesn’t taste like it!)

Reply to Jenny

Thanks Jenny!!!!

Let me know what you think of the muffins!

I think a combination of the both flavors!

Oh yum! Sounds like you lucked out with a good coworker!

• Liz

These look delicious!

xo, Liz

Reply to Liz
  • candace

Chocolate chip banana are definitely my favorite. Love baking but since it’s 100+ degrees here been more into no-bake recipes recently. I’m probably the best that I know (most of my friends/family don’t bake though so not really fair haha)

Can’t wait to see a healthier (preferably lower sugar and lower butter) version of these!

Reply to candace

It’s hot here too! I usually have the air blasting or bake later in the evening.

I do have some healthier muffin recipes using apple sauce and stevia on my blog 🙂

• Brooklyn

Epic photography in this post!
    It looks like a magazine 🙂

I love baking, but I hate the clean up part. It prevents me from baking as much as I would like. Also in my current apartment you can barely fit even one person in the kitchen, and there is no counter space 🙁

I love oatmeal blueberry or apple muffins.
    YUM!

Reply to Brooklyn

Thanks Brooklyn!

Sometimes I put the iPhone down and break out the real cam.

The cleanup part isn’t fun, but if you clean as you go…it makes it easier. I can understand the counter space issue. 🙁

Those are both yummy flavors!

• Hannah

These look great!
    1. I love a good blueberry muffin! The blueberries are always a blast of flavor in my mouth.
    2. I love baking! I actually make cakes for people and I am making small cakes and cupcakes for two weddings later this summer! I hope it can be a job on the side when I get older and gain more experience.
    3. Is it bad that I want to say myself? I’m actually not really into eating sweets because I like to eat less processed and sugary dense foods (of course I love my treats!) but baking had always been a passion of mine. I have started to also make healthy treats and that’s fun because I get the joy of baking but also the ability to eat health.

Reply to Hannah

Thanks Hannah!

Blueberries for the win…and with the addition of lemon 😉

Sounds like you’re the ultimate baker! 🙂 I used to make cupcakes for people back when i was in school.

It’s not bad at all! OWN IT!

• Tara

I am baking these today!! I hope you post your healthier recipe. I would love to make those too!

Reply to Tara
    • Jennifer Arteaga

She has a healthier recipe but I feel it is from a couple years back but in bread form and you could barely taste the difference. I made both versions for my office staff at the time and they both were winners.

Reply to Jennifer Arteaga

Yours turned out PERFECT!!!! Thank you for sharing your photo with me:)

• Heather @ Polyglot Jot

Yum these look great! I love chocolate chip and lemon poppyseed muffins best.I’m more of a chef than a baker but do enjoy baking every once in a while!

Reply to Heather @ Polyglot Jot

I love lemon poppy seed too! I’m not a HUGE fan of chocolate chips in muffins unless they are chocolate muffins. I won’t turn them down, but I prefer the blueberries or fruit flavors! Baker or not, we all have to get our baking on once in a while!

• Emily B

I freaking love muffins. My favorite growing up were my mom’s banana chocolate chip muffins. Or her pumpkin muffins. Definitely not healthy though. I love to find healthy muffin recipes. A few weeks ago I make blueberry lemon poppyseed muffins made with coconut flour that were super healthy and SO freaking delicious. I have another recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins with almond flour and I usually use unsweetened carob chips in place of the chocolate chips.
    Great….now I want a muffin! Ha! I’m such a sucker for ANY kind of muffin.

Fun story: when I was younger my grandma used to make “special” muffins for me because I didn’t like blueberry muffins. They were just plain muffins without blueberries. It wasn’t until I was a little older that they weren’t anything special: just boxed blueberry muffin mix that she would make a couple without the blueberries just for me. Whenever I smell boxed blueberry muffins I instantly think of her!

Reply to Emily B

Your mom sounds like the ultimate baker! BLUEBERRY LEMON…omg yum!

That is such a cute story! 🙂 Funny how we can relate scents and food with people or memories.

• Melissa

These look SO SO good! I have a similar banana nut muffin recipe but it uses buttermilk + some other ingredients which helps keep them really moist, even a few days after baking (if they last that long 😉 )

If you want to check out that recipe, I posted it here!http://www.greenpalatelife.com/the-best-ever-banana-nut-muffins/

1. My favorite are definitely banana or blueberry but I also really love carrot cake and lemon

2. I love baking!

3. My mom definitely takes the cake. 😉

xo, Melissa

Reply to Melissa

Do banana muffins ever last that long!? Your recipe sounds great though!

Thank you for sharing.

Those are all delicious muffin flavors! Carrot cake…yum.

You can’t go wrong with mama’s baking!

• Amanda

I have been on a banana kick lately and can’t wait to try these! Also glad to see the recipe makes only 16 – not 50 dozen, haha!
    Looking forward to the blueberry version as well 🙂

Reply to Amanda
  • Jennifer

1. If we’re talking really unhealthy, double chocolate muffins. I want to find and try a recipe that uses zucchini to make them a bit healthier!

2. yes yes yes yes yes

3. Me 😉

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I love nuts in my baked goods bahaha

Reply to Jennifer

Unhealthy is always acceptable in moderation. That’s the beauty of a healthy lifestyle! 🙂 DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS ARE DELCIIOUS! I love making them with white chocolate chips.

LOVE THAT YOU SAID “YOU” 😉

hahhahaha!

• Angelica

These look yummy!!!

1. blue berry or banana nut

2. I love to bake, when its nice and cool mostly in the Fall my favorite season!

3. I would have to say my sister in law, for my birthday she made me a healthy chocolate cake it was really yummy!

Thank you! for the recipe will have to try!
    IG: hellyeatsclean