Healthy & Light Berry Dessert Pizza

image

Not only are we celebrating a three day weekend; we are celebrating Memorial Day! This is one of my favorite weekends throughout the year. I love getting together for parties, friends, great weather, and great food! It brings back a lot of memories as a kid, spending time with the family.

My friend and I are grilling out and enjoying our last weekend down south before we head to the Detroit area next week. But don’t worry; we will be back! Tonight after our golf, we are heading to the grocery store to pick up groceries for: cauliflower mash, grilled salmon, grilled fish, avocado crescents, broccoli salad, homemade dressings, and fruit salad for this weekends grill out.

image

I wanted to share a fun recipe that we will also be having in honor of Memorial Day, healthy fruit pizza! I love fruit pizza. You can decorate it to match any holiday. Store bought fruit pizza is made from a sugar cookie, cream cheese, and cane sugar. I wanted to make a similar recipe but keep it light and guiltless. If you are having a hard time choosing a healthy dish to make for a Memorials Day bbq, I promise this one won’t let you down!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Fruit Pizza Ingredients

-One Box Back to Nature Honey Graham Sticks (or one box square graham crackers)
-One Medium Banana
-One Tbsp Honey
-Six Ounces Vanilla Greek Yogurt
-Two Cups TruWhip (or light whip)
-Two Tbsp Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
-Diced Strawberries
-Blueberries

image

-Place grahams in a large bowl. Crush the grahams with a cup. You could use a blender or food processor, but don’t crush into a dirt consistency. You want the grahams to have a couple crunchy pieces left. It makes the crust so much crunchier and gives it a cookie texture.

image

-Add the banana to the crushed graham crackers. Take your hands and combine the banana and grahams together. I left my electric mixer back in Chicago, but you can use yours if you don’t want to get your hands dirty. If you are using your hands, treat it like a meatloaf.-

image

-When the banana and graham crackers are combined, add the ball of dough to a greased baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Flatten out the dough with your hands. Roll it out from center going outward. You can use your finger tips or a roller.

-Fold the outer edges in and pinch the sides to form a crust.

image

-Drizzle the honey over the crust and spread it around with a spoon. This will give the crust a nice crispy texture on the outside, but keeps a chewy texture on the inside. Just like a sugar cookie!

-Place the crust in the oven. It will bake approximately 20 minutes, but every oven is different. Keep your eye on it. Don’t let the edges burn. They will be lightly brown and crispy. The center will be a lot softer, but it will harden as the crust cools off. Let it cool down on the baking sheet. If you try to move it before it cools, it will break in half like a chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven.

image

-While the cookie cools down, prepare the toppings!

image

-Combine the TruWhip and Greek yogurt together, and place it it the fridge to thicken. (20 minutes)

image

-I chose strawberries and blueberries for my fruit toppings because this weekend we are celebrating Memorials day. You can choose any toppings you’d like. Some other toppings that would be delicious : bananas, kiwi, grapes, raspberries, almonds, pecans, craisins, apples, pineapple etc.

image

-Once the crust has cooled, add the whipped topping to the center of the crust and spread evenly.

image

-You can decorate the pizza however you’d like. If you make these with kids, make mini ones. Each child could decorate their own.

-I made circle patterns with strawberries, blueberries and coconut layers.

image

I took the leftover fruit and used the whip topping as a dip! Don’t let anything go to waste.

image

-For storing, place the fruit pizza in the refrigerator. The whipped topping with thicken up even more!

image

Cut the pizza into twelve slices.

image

Per Slice (Recipe Makes 12 Slices)

Nutrition: 135 Calories, 4 g Fat, 22 g Carbs, 3 g Fiber, 10 g Sugar, 3 g Protein

Add to Pinterest!

Comments

• Sara Lagoni

This cake/pizza I really have try, looks sooo delicious, and easy to make..

Reply to Sara Lagoni
  • Lena

Taralynn,

This is my first visit to your site. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate how sweet your responses were to those who were being nasty about how you choose to celebrate Memorial Day. I’ll enjoy trying your recipe!

Reply to Lena
  • Ruby

This is an old post?!

Reply to Ruby
  • Cassie

Sounds deeeeelish! Maybe I’ll try it with some chocolate cookies!

Reply to Cassie
  • Kristen

Any suggestions if you are not eating dairy?

Reply to Kristen
  • kristen

I bet this recipe would be really good with the addition of coconut cream in the whipped portion! I will have to try it 🙂 We don’t have graham crackers here so I’ll hunt for a substitute! I bet Nilla wafers would be good but we don’t have those either 🙁

Reply to kristen

haha, when you need two and two together, use bananas and mash em up!

• Allie

You do realize that Memorial Day is, in fact, NOT about parties, cookouts, and BBQs, right? Slapping some red and blue fruit on a pizza and calling it “honoring Memorial Day” is so not the point. Go thank a veteran.

Reply to Allie

I do understand that. Both of my parents, my brother, my grandfather, my cousins, uncles, and aunts are veterans. Everyone goes out and bbqs for the three day weekend. It’s also not about veterans in general. It’s about veterans who have died.

• Mac

Actually, it’s not about veterans at all. A veteran is someone who USED to be in the service. Memorial Day is about honoring those who died while actively serving. Veterans Day (Nov 11) is for honoring all who served.

Reply to Mac
        • Jen

Actually, those who die serving are veterans too. Just saying.

Reply to Jen
      • jenn

I’m not. I’m going out to volunteer and put flags down at the miltary cemetery. That’s the real way to celebrate this weekend.

Reply to jenn

Good for you. Have a great weekend!

• Cassie

I’m Doing a BBQ with friends also, thanks for the recipe for those of us who do like to get together in remembrance of our heroes.

My crust is in the oven right now, can’t wait to try the finished project.

Reply to Cassie
  • Roxana

Perfect for the 4th!

Reply to Roxana
  • Roz @ Eat Some Leaves

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it 🙂 Could you give some substitutes for graham crackers or tru whip? I don’t think we have either in Ireland 🙁

Reply to Roz @ Eat Some Leaves

You could use regular whipped cream or find a recipes for whip cream! It’s easy to make. Instead of graham crackers, you could use crumbled pretzels or cookies!

• Kamila

Hi 🙂
    I found this recipe today and it looks delicious 😀
    I wanted to make that cake for my birthday party on Sunday, but then I found out that in Poland we don’t have TruWhip :< Can you please tell me what can I use instead or is there a recipe for substitute? 🙂
    Thanks for your help 🙂
    Love your blog <3

Reply to Kamila
  • Amelia

So I found your website just a few days ago and I want to try almost ALL of the recipes 😀 That’s the first one I tried and it turned out GREAT! I just changed the graham crackers for other whole grain crackers .. The pizza was a huge hit at home, thanks 🙂

Reply to Amelia
  • Ash

Is baking it optional? I need to present a healthy dessert at school and I would prefer if I wouldn’t have to bake it. Will the crust crumble if I don’t bake it? please help me

Reply to Ash
  • Sara

I’m so excited to try this for my family’s Memorial Day Dinner Party tomorrow! Thanks for the great recipe!

Reply to Sara