Room Decor: New Little Work Space

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I love changing things up. I never buy comforters, only duvets because I get bored with the sameΒ ones. I do try to stick to the same color scheme that way I don’t have to change everything out and all the new items are cohesive with the old ones. I love earthy tones, stripes, and shades of gray. I especially like antiques. I’ve been in antique heaven down here in the South. There is literally an antique store on every block. They’re like the Starbucks of the south. But when I’m not shopping at antique stores, I’m at Target or Homegoods.

Above my bed is a painting that my parents had before I was even born. It’s an originial Giovanni Camprio peice. He was was well known artist, born in Rome in 1915 and later died in 1999. All of his work consisted of mediterranean seascape scenes with sailboats. It’s one of my favorite pieces of art. Now the wind chime elephants on the other hand were $3.99 at Homegoods.

11098322_786642081404009_333365598_n

I finally got around to painting the bedroom. I went with Elephant gray, not because I’m obsessed with elephants, but because I really liked the tone. It wasn’t too dark, but it wasn’t too light. It matched up with my bedspread and looked good with my charcoal drapes.

Everyone has a different style and decorating is a way to express it!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was tired of using my kitchen table or bed as a desk. I threw out my desk years ago when I left Chicago. It was an old antique but way to bulky and hard to move. I bought this cute little white desk at Target a couple days ago and bought the chair there as well. I looked at home goods chairs, and Pier Ones, but liked this solid gray one the best.

My mirror is from Italy. My parents used to live there and my dad brought it over to the States when they left as well as a hand carved grandfather clock. I convinced them to give me the mirror, but my mom wants to be buried with her clock. She loves it so much and I don’t blame her. I’ve seen a lot of mirrors like this on Pinterest painted, but I don’t have the heart to paint over the original gold.

P1010963-1024x643

Remember when I drew this elephant, I still haven’tΒ blown it up on canvas yet! i need to do that with a gray background and white lines.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I ended up painting the canvas I had gold and gray, but that’s not what I had planned for it. After this post, I’m going to work on getting my elephant printed out.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My little elephant on my desk and the globe is from Homegoods. I find that I work harder when I sit at a desk and I stay a lot more organized.

11093002_348354405364698_1182981651_n

When I was at Homegoods, I saw this huge elephant canvas made with watercolors and I fell in love. It was GIANT, at least 75 inches. I took a picture of it because I’m going to use it as motivation and paint my own version.

PicMonkey Collagee

I’m still trying to decide where to hang my other paintings. I may put them in the living room instead of my bedroom. I don’t know if I want to put it back behind my bed or keep the painting up. What do you think?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My duvet is from Ikea, my pillows and throw blankets are from Homegoods and Pier One.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Grumples always finds his way to the camera.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

& little Tino

PicMonkey Collage

When I’m shopping for my room, I use my color sheet. I know it may sound silly, but I printed the color strip out and I use it to match things like blankets, pillows, or paintings.

Comments

• Jennifer

I cannot find the paint color that your blog mentions. Is the elephant gray color from Glidden? Or was it from a different brand?

Reply to Jennifer
  • Alle

Love your style

Reply to Alle
  • emily

Your bed always looks so fluffy and cozy! What type of blankets/comforters and pillows do you use?

Reply to emily
  • Shannen

First of all, I LOVE your color sheet! Those are really similar to the colors I chose for my own room! They are some of my favorite colors, especially the blues and grays. I love looking at your decor posts for decorating inspiration!
    Second, I would love a room tour of your kitchen! I know how much you love to cook – I am the same way – and I used to love your kitchen organization posts. (In case you couldn’t tell, I’ve been following your blogs for a long time!)
    Also, you said you use PicMonkey for editing. Did you sign up for the “Royal” program that they offer? Or do you just use the free basics?

Reply to Shannen

Thanks Shannen!! That means a lot! πŸ™‚ I do use PicMonkey for some of my editing and I do use the Royal program! πŸ™‚ It’s only 4.99 a month.

• bella

You have great style

Reply to bella
  • Marisa

Did you make that color strip using a specific program? Thanks!

Reply to Marisa
  • rachel

love love love your taste!

Reply to rachel
  • Rebecca

ADORABLE DOGS!! Ugh, I can’t get over the cuteness.
    Your room is awesome too, but the dogs are what drew me in, lol

Reply to Rebecca
  • Erin

I love that mirror you have.

Reply to Erin
  • Lanna

ahhhh those elephants! I’m so in love. Do they have Ross where you live? If not, next time you come to Phx you’ll have to check them out.. literally spend my weekends buying all kiinds of elephants there! Pretty sure you have the cutest room ever.

Reply to Lanna
  • King

I would love to buy that elephant print from you.

Reply to King
  • Kat

PLEASE SELL YOUR PRINTS!!

Reply to Kat
  • Lindsay

Gosh I love the tones and your style in general. Very clean but tasteful and beautiful.

Reply to Lindsay
  • Haley

I like that gray color you used. Where do you buy your paints at?

Reply to Haley
  • Kathy Stoles

I live in Charlotte and I’d love for you to come decorate my daughter’s room while she’s away at camp for two weeks. You have great style and I love your ideas. I will send you an email and I hope you are interested! -Kathy

Reply to Kathy Stoles
  • ML Bishop

Your style is fabulous! Love the elephants!

Reply to ML Bishop
  • Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out

I love the elephants! They are my spirit animal!

Reply to Livi @ Eat, Pray, Work It Out
  • Dorka

Your room looks great, especially your new workspace! Makes me feel productive already, haha! And I love the elephants, I never see pieces like them in Europe :/

Reply to Dorka
  • Heather

Your room looks so bright and cute!
    Definitely a happy space to get work done. πŸ™‚

Reply to Heather
  • Casey

Your room looks awesome…i would keep the painting above yr bed!

Reply to Casey
  • Melanie

I just bought that SAME exact desk from Target for my room! I love it. πŸ™‚ Your new work space looks amazing! I really like your decor/style. I am moving into a new apartment in August, and I am so excited to decorate! I will definitely be coming on your blog for inspiration πŸ™‚

Reply to Melanie
  • Dana

Is it because she comments on every single post ahahah?
    PS. love the decor taralynn- you’re giving me inspiration to spend time decorating my room :-)!

Reply to Dana
  • Rebecca

Your bed looks so comfy! Do you live by yourself or with roommates?

Reply to Rebecca
  • Marissa

Love your room. I’m terrible at decorating rooms so mine is just a mismatch of colors and furniture. Now I’m inspired to try and decorate.

Reply to Marissa
  • Michelle

Tara I love your duvet cover and the pillows!! I’m always hesitant with a dark navy blue, but the white and beiges really brighten it up! And I love having a duvet cover; I have pets and being able to quick wash it when need be is so much more convenient, not to mention cheaper!!

Reply to Michelle
  • Erin

I guess it would have helped if I posted the link.

Reply to Erin
  • Taylor

I seriously love your style! Growing up my mother was obsessed with elephants, you could always find some form of elephant in every room, I guess that carried on to me, I’m all about the earthy tones with a hint of exotic! I hope you continue to post pictures of your house as you decorate πŸ™‚

Reply to Taylor
  • Cassie

The elephant is my favorite!

Reply to Cassie
  • Parker

A lot of people with blogs do that.

Reply to Parker
  • Erin

Check out this desk (same one as yours) that they just redid a little.

Reply to Erin
  • Elizabeth

I love your home decor style!! Thanks for posting these pics, they are inspiring me to finish decorating my bedroom and office πŸ™‚ Would you consider posting decoration pictures of other rooms in your house? You have great taste!

Reply to Elizabeth
  • Manu

Wow your room looks beatiful. You,re really good in this things.

Reply to Manu
  • Amanda

Would you consider making prints of your paintings/drawing and selling them? I love the trees and the elephant one is great1

Reply to Amanda

I might look into that! πŸ™‚

• Kaitlyn

I’m wondering the same, I honestly would buy a lot of the beautiful pieces you have created, Taralynn! Seriously- you should consider making prints, you have a very classy style, and I just LOVE it!!!

Reply to Kaitlyn
  • Ashton Jury

Love your style! I totally hear you on the not buying quilts anymore, my blanket baskets were getting out of control! I also want to say I love your globe! The way you collect elephants is how I feel about globes and those Russian stacking dolls! Keep up the fun!

Reply to Ashton Jury

I collect maps as well! I bought a huge atlas at an old book store, and I glossed the pages and framed it! It looks awesome. I might post that for you since you like globes!!

• Anna

Elephants are my favorite animal, because I read that they’re the only animal who cover their family member who pass away with leaves and twigs and stay with them for days, mourning. They’re amazing animals. My dream is to see them in the wild someday!
    Your mirror is gorgeous, your elephant drawing is fabulous, and I want that desk!

Reply to Anna
  • Jacqueline

I LOVE decorating. I recently redid my entire place. I am in love with neutral colors, too! Most of my inspiration comes from these three movies: Something’s Gotta Give (cottage/seaside/neutrals), Bewitched (the Nicole Kidman movie – cottage, neutrals) and Holiday (with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet – cottage). My favorite paint and the one I used predominately in my place is Behr Perfect Taupe. It really is the perfect taupe! I found it on Pinterest.

By the way, I’ve read your blog since almost the very beginning/ it’s my first time commenting though. I know there are a lot of snarkers that pick apart every single post you do and probably will go to town over something in this one, too, or my comment (bring it on bitches). But, I seriously give zero f*cks what anyone else thinks.

I’ll keep reading as long as you keep posting πŸ™‚

Reply to Jacqueline

Those are amazing movies with great settings! I especially like the Holiday and that cozy cottage! πŸ™‚ I never would have thought of decorating a home after a movie, but that is such a great idea! Thanks for all the support!! xo

Would you consider doing a video room tour?