Visiting Sullivan’s Island & Isle of Palms

IMG_4042

The weather wasn’t ideal today; it was rainy, chilly, and windy. I like rainy days sometimes though. The sound of the rain and the darkness of the sky calms me. Those are my favorite days to sit back with a cozy blanket, watch a movie, and cuddle close to the pup. I would have done that but I was itching to explore around Charleston.

IMG_4082

I knew that the weather would keep most people indoors and it was a great opportunity to go out and take some photos. I may not be great at it, but taking photos is my therapy.

IMG_4087

I was right. There wasn’t a soul on the beach.

I was originally going to go toย Folly Beach, but they were having the Taste of Folly Festival and I didn’t want to get stuck in traffic or fighting crowds of people.ย I’ve already taken tons of photos of Folly Beach anyways.

Sullivan’s Island beach was tranquilย and everything but the waves were calm. I wish I would have brought Mr. Grumples along because he would have loved to run on the beach. There was no one there he could have bothered.

After taking some photos, I sat on a beach benchย and watched the lighthouse warn the oncoming boats of land.

IMG_4029

I was so excited to learn that Edgar Allen Poe spent a lot of time on Sullivan’s Island. He wrote the short story “The Gold Bug” “I don’t tink noffin about it –I nose it” in Sullivan’s island. There are roads named after him and a place called Poe’s Tavern. You can order food off the menu named after some of his literature. I’ve been reading ย a lot about Poe’s life in Charleston. Once I put all the places together, I am going to go on an Edgar Allen Poe of Charleston tour!

IMG_4114

I left Sullivan Island and drove down to Isle of Palms to check out their beach, the neat houses, and the little shops.

IMG_4117

The beach was pretty empty. No one really wants to go to beach when it’s freezing and windy, unless you’re a surfer or paddle boarder.

IMG_4133

IMG_4135

I think I’m going to try paddle boarding this summer. I don’t brave it out and do it in the cold, but it looks like fun and a great workout. I took surf lessons for three years when I was younger and hopefully my body will remember.

IMG_4137

I also wonder if they ever fear sharks. It’s funny because when I was a kid, my brother and I would swim in the Pacific ocean so far out and have no fear at all. I’d get excited when we saw a shark. Now, I’m terrified of them. I put myself 4ft in the water and I’m petrified. I think shark week has something to do with ย my traumatization.

IMG_4147

Isle of Palms was empty too. Imagine living in one of those homes where you just walk out and there is the ocean. Such a dream!

IMG_4151

I was extremely impressed with Isle of Palms and Sullivan’s Island. I’d love to have a summer rental one year!

IMG_4152

IMG_4157

IMG_4165

IMG_4167

The seagulls are so tame. You can walk up to them and they don’t move. When I used to live in Hawaii, my dad used to put Cheetos on my brother and I’s heads. The seagulls would come swooping down and we’d start screaming.

IMG_4176

Isle of Palms has a lot of restaurants on the beach. It would be a great place to eat on a warm summer night.

IMG_4182

There was also a coffee and ice cream shop on the beach. I should have gotten a cup to warm up!

IMG_4185

I have an obsession with bumper stickers. I’m not a bumper sticker kind of person and would never stick one on my car, unless it was a Detroit Lions one, but I love stopping and reading the bumper sticker collages. They’re usually on the telephone poles, but this one was on an electrical box.

IMG_4191

I loved the flamingo house on the beach! It was like Barbie’s dream home in real life.

IMG_4202

If you ever want a fun place to go, check out Ocean Blvd in the Isle of Palms!

IMG_4205

I had a fun day exploring and can’t wait to go out tomorrow. Where shall I visit around Charleston?

Comments

• Sara

Beautiful photos

Reply to Sara
  • Kendall

Your style is so unique compared to other people I have read stuff from.
    Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this blog.

Reply to Kendall
  • alascia

I saw you there but was too scared to say hi. I have been a big fan of yours forever and i feel bad for not saying hi. Do you ever go back ?

Reply to alascia
  • Kathy

IOP is the best in the summer! My fiancรฉ and I go with my best friend and her family every year. I could see the house we rent in your picture of the row of beach houses. There’s absolutely nothing like watching the sunset from the back porch and sleeping with the windows open at night so you can hear the waves. Absolutely rent a house for a week if you ever get the chance! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Kathy

Doesn’t that cost a fortune?! The house I looked at was like 2k a week! But, I will have to do it sometime! Maybe get a group of girls and split it all up!

• Kathy

Lol yes, it does!! But they’re HUGE, so you can take a ton of people ๐Ÿ™‚ Last year I think we had 11 people total. For both my fiancรฉ and me it was $500 for the whole week…not too bad when you consider how much a hotel would be for a week. It’s definitely not cheap, but it could be a lot worse ๐Ÿ˜›

Reply to Kathy

That’s not bad at all! I might have to look into that ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t believe how many houses are for sale in Isle of Palms and Sullivan!!!

• Kathy

I know!! The house we stayed in last summer is for sale for 2 million! A doctor owns it and he kept trying to talk us into buying it. Uhhh…we’d never make it through the first year! The closest I’ll ever get is staying in one for a week and pretending I own it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Still fun though! But anyway, round up all the people you can find and stay there for a week! I can’t recommend it enough ๐Ÿ™‚ My fiancรฉ and I are staying on Seabrook Island for our honeymoon, so I’m hoping it’s just as fun!

Reply to Kathy
  • Cassie

What kind of camera do you use? Your photos are awesome!

Reply to Cassie
  • Elisabeth

Goodness. More beautiful photos! I hope the right person stumbles upon your website. Have you tried displaying your photos in local art galleries?

Reply to Elisabeth

Oh gosh! I don’t think my photos are up to standard yet! Once I get better, I’ll consider it! I’m still working on my photography ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jess

I too would love to live by the beach one day so that I could go for walks everyday. At the moment I switch between two cities and so the walks aren’t so calming!

Reply to Jess
  • Janine

Hey Taralynn, I’m a native Metro Detroiter who has been following your blog for a couple years. You are so, so inspiring and I love checking every day for new posts ๐Ÿ™‚

I just want to say, I am extremely happy to see a non-Michigander have pride for Detroit. I know you lived here for less than a year and always wanted to know– what specifically made you love Detroit so much? And then further, become a hardcore Lions fan?

I only know from a native’s perspective, so I wanted to hear your opinion. Keep up the amazing blog and sending love from the Mitten! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Janine
  • Kristin C

I love paddle-boarding! Balance is hard for a…fluffier…. lady like myself, but it is so much fun. I haven’t tried it in the Ocean like those people were doing, but it’s very fun on a lake ๐Ÿ™‚
    So glad you had a good time!

Reply to Kristin C
  • lucy

Your pictures are amazing! and that pink house is so cute! <3xx

Reply to lucy
  • C.J.

Check out Theatre 99 for improv comedy shows. They are hilarious and reasonably priced, just make sure to bring cash. For coffee/tea, I highly recommend Metto (especially the honey latte) or Black Tap. Eating at Brown Dog Deli is a must -all of the sandwiches and wraps are amazing. Make sure to get a side, too (broccoli salad and potato salad are my two favorites)! Other good eats include Mosaic, Page’s Okra Grill, Home Team BBQ, Swig & Swine, Poogan’s Porch, WildFlour Pastry, Tattooed Moose, Queen Street Grocery, Five Loaves, and Persimmon.

Reply to C.J.
  • Brooke

I just visited the Charleston area last weekend for a race. It was absolutely beautiful! Even if it was a little chilly, it sure beats the weather we’re getting here in the midwest!

Reply to Brooke
  • Lisa

I love how you just go out on your own and explore a place nearby. It is so much better for your psyche to just get out sometimes, instead of spending a whole day just watching tv (although that can be therapeutic too :-D). I wish I was as adventurous as you!!

Reply to Lisa
  • Linda @ TheFitty

I think you’re a fantastic photographer , are you kidding me? ๐Ÿ™‚ and i get the same, calm feeling about those grey and rainy days. if it’s not too cold or humid, I’d go ot for a run or walk, if not, I want to sit. by a fire and drink some ginger tea and film some workouts indoors. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
  • Jenny

Your photos are beautiful! You should share some tips for taking photos in your blog. =)

Reply to Jenny
  • CWZ

Isle of Palms is my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚ We rented a beach house there this past summer and I loved taking my dog out for walks on the beach at sunrise and fishing from our private deck. Since you’re a big breakfast person, you MUST check out Hominy Grill. They’re best known for their shrimp & grits (I’m a South Carolinian and I think they make it the best out of any restaurant I know) and the Charleston Nasty Biscuit (which is anything but). But you can’t go wrong with anything on the menu. It’s been featured on several TV shows and is usually packed during peak times, so you know it’s good! Jeni’s is my favorite ice cream (https://jenis.com/scoop-shops/jenis-king-street/). They only use small-batch, quality ingredients from independent farmers/businesses, and they boast a number of really unique flavors (goat cheese w/ cherries is my fave).

Reply to CWZ
  • Linn

Amazing shots!

Reply to Linn
  • Annie Lexie

Have you ever thought about becoming a professional photographer? If you took a couple of classes, you’d be so wonderful!

Reply to Annie Lexie
  • Alexa

i love your pictures! I grew up going to these beaches and both islands are amazing!

Reply to Alexa
  • Ashley

You have to check out The Lost Dog Cafe one morning for breakfast! It’s located in Folly and you could even take Mr. Grumples!

Reply to Ashley