Big Blog X: California dreams

I left the Baltimore hostel around 4.30 am. I am so glad I booked the Super Shuttle, because I wouldn’t have had the strengh to walk for 30 minutes in this freezing weather to get to the train station. It was my first domestic flight within the USA, and I was quite curious to see how it would go. I checked in on an electronic machine and I was very surprised to see I had to pay for luggage, as it was a normal airline company. Throughout, the flight, I felt like I was getting lowcost standards within a normal flight. We had good legroom, but no entertainment, no free food and no luggage for a 6 hours + flight. I guess, 6 hours is just a normal flight for locals. Anyways, I checked-in, forgot part of my e-ticket on the machine, had to rush back and I manage to get it in time before they were gonna throw it out. I boarded at sunrise. The flight was pretty uneventful, but we did fly over beautiful landscapes. I was glued to the window for a few hours…

Sunrise

Salten sea

When we landed in San Diego, the sun and warmth were here to welcome me. I was so happy. I easily made my way to the hostel, the HI San Diego Downtown, got settled in my lovely room and went out to explore. I will tell you all about San Diego in a future post, but first, I wanted to tell you about my beautiful californian road-trip.

HI SAN DIEGO

HI SAN DIEGO

Indeed, the next day, I met up with a friend, Darshak. I had met Darshak last year in a hostel in Savannah, Georgia. He was travelling across country. I was beginning my trip around the world. We met again in a hostel in New Orleans and all over town. He has lived in San Diego for the past year and I was very lucky to meet him, as he is leaving for new adventures next week. It is so great to catch up with travelling friends, to tell each other all our stories and adventures and to go on a new journey together. As he had never been either, he agreed to go on a little road-trip with me in Southern California along the coast.

Road trip

Road trip

First, we went to San Juan Capistrano, a city just south of LA. The city is full of history and was great to explore. We took a guided tour of the Mission and I learned a lot about the history of the mission, of California and about native americans. It was instructive, interesting and a very beautiful place to walk around for a while.

San Juan Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano

San Juan Capistrano

After that, we headed for some lunch at a Mexican place, El Campeon, where I savoured a burrito and a fresh orange juice. I also took this opportunity to practice my Spanish and it went very smoothly. This is something I didn’t notice last time I came to the States, but this time, as I learned Spanish last year in South America, I realized that Spanish was all around me. I really love this mix of culture. We walked off our big meal in the historic center of the town. It is pretty small, but very cute, with lovely cafés and boutiques and a few historic buildings.

El campeon

We started to drive south on the Pacific Highway, but the road is now closed in various points so we had to get on and off the Interstate 5 and to try to follow the coast as closely as possible. We stopped first to take a few pictures of the wild San Onofre State Beach and at the Mirador Las Flores. It is a shame the sun goes down so early these days, because we could not enjoy the whole road.

Beach

Darshak and Lucie

Sunset

However, we got to witness a spectacular sunset in Oceanside. It was quiet and really perfect to take it all in and take some good pictures. I hope I will not bore you with all my sunset pictures, but it was hard to only choose a few.

Sunset

This short road-trip was a great introduction to California. I got to see some beautiful beaches, an historic place and a few cities along the way. It really makes me wanna come back for a long road-trip across country… Anyone wants to join?

Sunset

Don’t forget to follow Taralynn’s adventures in France on Voyages et Vagabondages!

Comments

• Evelin

I gotta say Im not a big fan of America, but loved the way you wrote about it Lucie, and pics are lovely! glad you had a great time 🙂

Reply to Evelin
  • Wonni

AWESOME! You shouldn´t even think about, anyone could get bored about your pics. This is so… aaaaaah… I would join you without hesitation!
    It´s just so inspiring. …i guess, I know, what i´m going to do, as soon my kids are self-employed. 🙂 Life is to short…

Reply to Wonni
    • Lucie Aidart

Oh that’s so sweet, thank you! I’m glad it is, makes me so happy when people o for their dreams. How old are your kids?

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • Caro Bleue Violette

Beautiful sunsets, indeed 🙂

It’s really nice that you met your friend ! Have I ever told you I admire your social skills ? As a very shy person, I’m always amazed at the way you easily make friends everywhere you go 🙂

Reply to Caro Bleue Violette
    • Lucie Aidart

Thanks Caro! Oh Caro, if you knew I am so shy, and I use to be terrible. Travel and karate helped me a lot and I force myself to talk to people and I get better and better at it, but sometimes, I don’t know why, I go back to my shy shell… 🙂

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • Mallori

I would LOVE to go on a road trip with you! What amazing pictures! What kind of camera are you using?

Reply to Mallori
    • Lucie Aidart

🙂 I’ll keep you guys posted when I come back to the States! I am using an expert compact, it is a Sony RX 100. It is small and amazing, I am very happy with it.

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • Winding Spiral Case

Lucky that things worked out for the coastal road trip! Your lovely photos showcase the Pacific coast so nicely 🙂 I agree, visiting missions (anywhere in the US) is always worthwhile. I’m glad you (unexpectedly) got to use your Spanish! Safe travels to Austin!

Reply to Winding Spiral Case
  • Abygail

Hopefully on your next trip to Cali you come to NorCal. 🙂 There’s tons of stuff do do up here during this time! Apple Hill is a big deal for locals, Tahoe is beautiful during this time and even more beautiful when the snow falls. Plus you have Yosemite, Big Trees, and the Bay Area! The beaches may not be as sunny as they are down south, but they are still fun to visit! If you ever visit and need advice on where to go, let me know! I’ve lived here my whole life and have traveled all over California.

Reply to Abygail
    • Lucie Aidart

Hi Abygail, thanks for your comment. Definitely where I will want to be heading next… Hopefully I will come back to the States soon!

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • Haley Thibeault

I’m down for a cross country road trip! I’ve never been to the west coast before, or anywhere near that actually. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful– please keep sharing them! 🙂 Hope you are having a wonderful time!

Reply to Haley Thibeault
  • Linda @ TheFitty

Haha, you don’t like the cold weather, do you, Lucie? Just wait till you come to Canada! 😉

Reply to Linda @ TheFitty
    • Lucie Aidart

Hehehe, no I don’t indeed! But I love cold weather countries… I lived in Montreal for six months, not in winter an the weather wasn’t great 🙂

Reply to Lucie Aidart
  • Natalie

Your photos are spectacular Lucie!
    Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip!

Reply to Natalie

Those photos are amazing Lucie!

• Natasha

Ahhh! You were 30 minutes from me. Are you still in town?! I was just in San Diego for Halloween too!

Reply to Natasha