Girl’s Night: Chinese Food & Wine

Girl's night

I had the girls over for dinner Saturday night with my parents. I wasn’t officially moved in yet, but I couldn’t wait to break in my new table. I’m so proud of the farmhouse table my dad and I built. I’ve been shopping around for one like this for so many years and finally gave up and decided to do it myself. We used the Ana White DIY plans. The benches were my dad’s design. I’m sure you’ll be seeing a lot more of this table in the future.

Girls night set up

Instead of cooking around all the boxes, we ordered Chinese food from Chef Kwo’s. I bought several bottles of wine at Trader Joe’s to go with dinner and put together a fruit and cookie tray on top of my cake holder. The holder had a bowl of ginger snaps, vanilla wafers, pineapple, and cantaloupe. The fruit was perfect for adding to the wine.

chinese food girls night

I ordered egg rolls, sesame tofu (Sealy is vegetarian), vegetable egg rolls, vegetable fried rice, chicken lo mein, sweet and sour chicken, bourbon chicken, teriyaki chicken, white rice, crab ragoons, general chicken, steak and broccoli, and orange chicken.

fortune cookie

My mom opened up the most ironic fortune cookie. “Traveling down south will bring you exciting adventures and luck”

My fortune said “Your simple kindness today will be rewarded multiple times.” and I think it was. I had great friends, incredible parents, a happy dog, and incredible health. That’s a lot of rewards.

chinese food girls night

After dinner, we hung out on the balcony and had more wine. This is the life I have been hoping for for a long time. I’m so blessed that I have incredible people surrounding me, and for my life to be where it’s supposed to be. Change is good.

Comments

• Erin

Did you make a post about you and your dad building that and I missed it? If not, you should.. that’s a great table.. exactly what I’m looking for, for my next table.. you guys are a very talented family.

Reply to Erin
  • ashley

so happy for you, Taralynn!

Reply to ashley
  • Jennifer

This post makes me so incredibly happy!

Reply to Jennifer
  • Kristin Cook

I’m so happy for you . I’m so glad that these changes are going so well for you. I understand. In the past few months I’ve gotten married, moved away from my family and gotten a new job. Its been hard, but so wonderful. I am so very blessed! I have an amazing husband, a great place to live (beautiful mountains of North Carolina), wonderful in-laws, and a good job. Change is scary but it works out.
    I’ve been wanting to ask, what is your career? I’ve always wondered if you wrote your blog as your profession, or did graphic design or something, because it seems like you make your own hours.

Reply to Kristin Cook
  • Cat

I love your table! I want to make something like that for my new apartment — I’m so picky that I should just do it myself.

Reply to Cat
  • Annie

Thanks for that link! I’ve been admiring your table and now I’ve got a whole laundry list of things I am going to build. 🙂

Reply to Annie
  • Beks

I’ve been perusing Ana’s site for awhile, and especially this weekend. We’re moving in a few weeks, to a small house with a decent back yard. I’m hoping to build a couple benches from her plans, so we can expand the living space to the outdoors. 🙂

Reply to Beks
  • Nicole

It’s so great to see that you are living such an amazing life. I wish you nothing but the best in this next chapter of your life!

Reply to Nicole
  • Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy

Out of curiousity Tara, what is your Chinese zofiac sign? I’m an ox!

Reply to Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
  • Nicole

Taralynn,

I love reading your recent posts about your new chapter, new adventures, and focusing on YOU… I’m going through a similar situation and it’s a great reminder every morning that we’re not alone in our challenges. It’s also so good to have girlfriends again…I never realized how much I missed it. It looks like you’re making the most of it and doing amazingly!

xo
    Nicole

Reply to Nicole
  • Kristen

I was wondering where you got such a gorgeous table! It is really beautiful! I’m jealous!

Reply to Kristen