My favorite dessert growing up was Watergate salad. My mom used to make it at Easter and for summer barbecues. It reminds me of my favorite ice cream, pistachio almond. I made my moms recipe for Watergate salad last night, but with a couple swaps to reduce the calories, sugar and fat.
My Ingredients Vs. My Moms
- I used 1/4 cup sliced almonds instead of 1 cup.
- 2 cups sugar free cool whip instead of regular.
- 3/4 Cup fresh pineapples crushed instead of canned pineapples.
- 1/3 Cup sugar free fat free pistachio almond pudding mix instead of one package of regular pudding.
- 2 Cups Mini Marshmallows instead of 3 cups.
I added the pineapples to the cool whip and combined them together.
Next I stirred in the marshmallows.
Finally I added the almonds and pudding mix.
After combining I put the salad in the cooler for 1 hour to chill.
This was the perfect dessert last night. It tasted no different than my moms recipe. I actually put all the salad back into the cool whip container and froze it. Then late last night I had my sweet tooth after golfing, so I took 1/4 cup of the salad and put it in an ice scream cone. I felt like I was indulging in pistachio ice cream.
Nutritional Info: Mine Vs. My Moms
Moms: 3/4 Cup: 439 Calories, 11g Fat, 51g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 21g Sugar, 4g Protein.
Mine: 1 Cup: 3/4 Cup 156 Calories, 5g Fat, 33g Carbs, 2g Fiber, 13g Sugar, 2g Protein.
That is my favorite dessert!!