The Entryway Makeover for Cozy Decor Lovers πŸ•―

Good Morning, Everyone!

I had the meal prep planned to go live today, but I had to put a hold on those plans! As I was editing the video, I got a text from Kyle’s friend saying that his flight had been canceled. I closed up my laptop, picked him up, and then we all hung out at the house last night. It was Kyle’s birthday, so I made my Uncle’s teriyaki cheddar burgers on the grill, and we caught up on Sharp Objects. His friend is obsessed with that show too, so it worked out perfectly. I have about an hour to spare this morning before taking off, so I figured I’d share some inspiration photos of my entryway makeover!
I have a long hallway as soon as you enter my house that leads to the living room/kitchen. I didn’t really know what I wanted to do and had been putting it off for a while. My dad made a cute table that I put there in the meantime that I ended up keeping for a year. Now, it has a new home in the guest bedroom. I decided to add a few new pieces and use a couple of other pieces I had around the house to put it all together. There are so many spots in my house that I need to finish. I am going to try and start doing more home decor posts to motivate me to get them all done.

I wanted to go for a warm and cozy decor theme with small pops of color. This is such an inexpensive project, but it brings so much character to the hallway!

I changed the rug. I had a blue rug that did not fit the room, so I gave that to my parents. It fits perfectly in their beach-themed living room. I bought a grey and beige runner off of Amazon that is super long. It fits the hallway perfectly! It’s the Unique Loom Trellis Collection Runner Area Rug in grey/beige (2’7” x 13′) It comes in all kinds of colors. Because my dogs like to run into the house like crazy animals after a walk, I bought a non-slip rug pad with an extra strong grip to hold the rug in place and keep it from sliding. It also helps keep it stay in place while I vacuum, plus it cleans up so well! It doesn’t have the long threads that come apart or get caught in the vacuum. I’m just very happy about this purchase! It’s held up for about a year now without any issues.Β
My mom got me this lantern as a gift, and I love it so much! She was watching QVC, and couldn’t resist. I absolutely love it! It was meant to go outside on my front porch, but I kind of like it right on the table. It’s so warm and welcoming. I had been talking about getting a lantern like this for a while, but they were all so expensive. She got an amazing deal on this one! It also comes in white. More details about the lantern here! I love that it’s battery operated, so I don’t have to have any real candles in there. Less messy and much safer!
I replaced the painted desk with this adorable farmhouse style entryway table from Hobby Lobby! I had my eye on one at Home Goods for a week but it wouldn’t fit in my car. When I went back to get it, it was gone. I think it was a blessing because I love this one so much more!

It’s called the “Sofa Table with Barn Door Drawers.”

I love that the drawers are deep. I used to hang the leashes up, but they look so much better and less cluttered stored in the drawer. I’m using one drawer for mail, one for the dogs, and the other for the designated junk drawer. We all have them πŸ˜‰Β  In there, you’ll find headphones, random coupons, hairbands, and other random things! I was shocked by how inexpensive it was too! I saved a couple hundred dollars going with this table over the one at Home Goods. It’s 30% off at Hobby Lobby right now πŸ™‚ Only $139.99!

The “M” on the door was purchased from a little home store here in my town. You can actually get unfished letters on Amazon, Etsy, Wayfair, or Home Depot and paint them! Mine will be coming down next month because I’ll be hanging my DIY fall wreath! I can’t wait to share that post and see all of your Fall creations. I thought about adding a checkered bow to the M, but I may save that for next summer.Β
I added two rustic frames for the top as extra decor. I want to get a photo of the dogs in one of them. I just found two extra prints upstairs and put them in because it was a better option than the stock photos. I loved that these frames matched the desk and fit well with the other decor.

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep that lamp there, but it’s a little lamp my mom painted for me a couple years ago. I may just change the shade on it. Not sure yet!

I also have a Scentsy warmer in the middle. There is nothing better than walking into a house and being greeted by an amazing smell! Right now, I have a black cherry melting in it. I’m trying not to burn the fall scents just yet!

If you’re looking for THE BEST (i promise you this) scents, check out The Essence of the Bean! I found their soy products in a little boutique shop in the town of Waxhaw a couple years ago. It’s the most amazing brand of wax melts and candles. I can’t get enough!

Two of my favorite scent warmers are found on Amazon! I ordered this one as a gift and this one for my upstairs guest room.Β
I still have to go back and get a second basket! Don’t you guys think it would look better/more symmetric with a second basket on the other side of the pillows? Or would that be too much? My favorite place to get baskets is World Market. They have the best options and they are so sturdy. I hate the ones that come apart after a year.

I’m going to fill up the baskets with a couple of warm throw blankets. I have my eye on this one and this one! (which one do you like better?)

I love hanging my grocery canvas bag on the hooks because it reminds me to grab my bags before heading to the grocery store. My hallway has two closets, so I hide a lot of things in there. I made the closet underneath my staircase the blog prop closet. My stuff was starting to find their way to my kitchen table a lot, so now it has a designated place to go!
As for the arrow that says “home” with the hooks, that is also going! I ended up staining a rustic board, and now I’m looking for the perfect hooks to add to it. I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby soon so I can finish it. The board is going to match the drawers on the entryway table.Β
I used to have these pillows on my couch until it had a makeover. I found the plaid covers on Amazon, and I love them! They hold up great in the washing machine. The bring that “farmhouse” feel and will look great when I bring out the fall decor. I have a front porch welcome mat that matches them.

Adding the green plants made it look light for summer, but I’ll be replacing those with Fall flowers next month!

The mirrors are actually the same size, but I hung them up horizontal and vertical to add a little character. Having them side by side upright felt off. The mirrors were the first addition the entry hallway, and my favorite purchase. I was thinking of buying more to go upstairs in my bedroom. You can find the same mirrors on Amazon.

The Amazon is distressed white, so it really fits well into the warm and cozy theme.Β
Thank you guys for reading today’s post! If you would like to see more DIY and Home Decor posts, let me know! I kind of throw them into recaps, but would love to share more of these types of blogs! 😊 And of course, all of your design input is ALWAYS welcomed!

1. More home decor posts? Yes/No
  2. Describe your decor style in one word. ______
  3. What date do you officially bring out the Fall decor?

Comments

• Stephanie

Yes, more posts!

What color is your wall?

Reply to Stephanie
  • Melissa

Love the decor post–especially “cozy” decor! Who doesn’t want to feel cozy–especially with Autumn right around the corner?

Reply to Melissa
  • Alyssa

I’m curious what you do for shoe storage. Could use some inspiration.

Reply to Alyssa

I have a hallway closet dedicated to shoes and coats! I have a bottom shelf that has walking shoes, sandals, and then a designated shoe closet upstairs. I think i’m going to do a closet post with all the closets in my house!

• Brittney Caughron

Aaaah this post is making me so impatient to finish my house. Lol. My husband and I just bought our first home, and we’re still in the painting stages, but I hope to have a cute entryway soon! Love your entryway!! More decor posts please!! πŸ™‚

Reply to Brittney Caughron
  • Kristin

This turned out so cute! I’m always trying to keep the clutter under control so I love that your table has those drawers. I also love that your mom found the lantern for you, my mom is always finding me cute decor stuff too! And I vote yes for more dedicated decor posts!

I like the farmhouse style as well. I like the look of mixing wood & white items together!

I always seem to put up fall decor later than I want to, so this year I may try to get it up over Labor Day weekend, because the following week will be gone on vacation, so when we get back it will be mid September and perfect for getting in the fall spirit!!

Reply to Kristin

Hi, Kristin!

Thanks so much 😊

I think the lantern inspired me to do the whole hallway! I needed a cute spot to put it. 😊

I love that style too!

What a great idea for your decor! It’ll be such a fun way to come home 🍁

• April Johnson

I think you should stick with just one basket. If you’re craving symmetricality, perhaps put the basket in the middle and prop the pillows up on either side of it. Maybe drape a corner of the throw you’re looking for over the edge of the basket for visual interest. Just my thought! It still looks great though and I, too, really like the way you did the mirrors!
    Yes to more home decor posts!! You have a good eye, and the inspo is great! Also, they’re nice little short posts I like to read while waiting for something.
    My home decor style is pretty funky. I almost never buy anything new unless it’s electronic or less than $20. I go to yard and estate sales nearly every weekend, and I most often shop at thrift stores or antique malls. I also constantly hunt on OfferUp and Craigslist. Mostly I just look for uniqueness in an item, as opposed to a style of a specific item for a specific location. Like, I’ll buy a little table because it has an interesting color scheme or something, and I’ll have no idea where to put it at first til one day I think up the perfect home for it. I’m always on the lookout for unique pictures or posters. For example, I have the most beautiful cross-stitch of a cozy interior with a fireplace next to an antique photograph of a small dog and a Ralph Steadman work. Also, I have an obsession with reading chairs and bookshelves (and books, consequently, as I am an avid reader). I tend to mix a lot of old and new together. To me, it’s very visually interesting and I truly love it. But I’m also the type of person that will have a blank wall for 2 years because I can’t make it exactly what I want. It just has to happen kind of organically, ya know?
    I’m in Texas, so I don’t put out fall decor ’til the highs are consistently under 80, which is usually late Sep or early Oct. It just doesn’t feel right to me if I put out fall decor while it’s still 85/90 out!

Reply to April Johnson

Thanks so much, April, my dad actually said the same thing about the pillows.

I think it’s so cool you go to estate sales. My friend Becca and I used to go to them last summer! I found a lot of cool pieces for my home. Your home sounds so awesome! I also LOVE reading chairs!! I’m looking for a big beige one to go by my fireplace. I totally know what you mean about the blank walls! My office and bedroom are kind of naked right now.

We are the same with the weather down here in the south! BOY, IT’S HOT!!

• Dee

Hi Taralynn!! I am a very very longtime reader, I remember your first blog! Let me just say I LOVE your decor and always love to see where you got your cute stuff – but can you also do a design post for your parent’s beachy living room?! Lol! I’m moving in a few weeks and really wanted a coastal theme, but it’s just so hard to get specific products from Pinterest – overwhelming!

<3 <3

Reply to Dee
  • Stephanie

Keep these posts coming they are so needed!!!! Sometimes something little needs a change and you just can’t figure it out until someone shows you what they have been up to! It was cute before, but the after is so cute as well. Thanks for all you do, you are an inspiration as always!

Reply to Stephanie
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

It’s crazy what a huge difference the little changes made! I would definitely vote for a second basket. My OCD always asks for symmetry haha.
    YES to home decor posts!
    Ummmm my decor style is minimal haha, but that’s only because I’m still not very good at it. But we live in such a little place that we’re forced to keep it minimal to prevent it from looking cluttered!
    September… I just can’t wait! SO EXCITED!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers
  • Lindsay

Looks great! Love a new nest to decorate. Yes, on extra basket. Edna Embellished blanket. πŸ™‚

Reply to Lindsay
  • Alissa @ PositiviTEA

Love this! Please continue the beautiful home decor posts! So much inspo πŸ™‚

Reply to Alissa @ PositiviTEA
  • Caroline

Yes yes YES to more decor posts! Love your style πŸ™‚

Reply to Caroline
  • Jenn

Yes more DIY stuff. You have a knack for decorating. Love this table.

Reply to Jenn
  • sarah

YES to Decor/DIY posts!
    Farmhouse/simple — really trying to eliminate clutter from my rooms, but still want to to feel homey which I am finding tough to do!
    Girrrrrl I brought out the pumpkin coffee this week, I’m just not telling anyone yet HA

Reply to sarah
  • Lara

I love those mirrors! I would never have thought of hanging them that way but it looks great.

I say yes to more of the decor posts.

I think you have an eye for it!

Reply to Lara
  • Catie

I’m sorry but your dogs stole the show!

Reply to Catie
  • Logan

I need to update my entryway after reading at this! Can you link those pillow cases?

Reply to Logan
  • Fabienne

Looks fantastic!
    More decor posts please. πŸ™‚

Greetings
    Fabienne

Reply to Fabienne
  • Amanda

Super cute, can’t wait to see more of your crafts, DIY or home projects.

Reply to Amanda
  • Courtney

Loved your entryway makeover! Please keep sharing more home decor posts. I am in the process of buying stuff for mine and my fiance’s house and I love seeing where you found cute items!

Reply to Courtney
  • Helen

I love your decor posts. It has inspired me to change some things up here. I would love to hear about the closet you did under your stairs. I’m thinking about doing that at home. πŸ˜€

Reply to Helen

Thanks, Helen!

I need to find lights for the hallway closet so I can take photos! I basically just bought those metal shelves to keep all my blog props organized! I did just reorganize three of the closets in the house, so I guess I can post those! xo

• tanya

I love these kind of posts! You do such a great job at repurposing all of the items. πŸ™‚

Reply to tanya
  • Wesley

Looks great!

Reply to Wesley
  • Brooklyn Murtaugh

This looks so good! You are so good at home decor, teach me your ways !

I love the lantern, your mom did great. And the new carpet looks way better πŸ™‚

Reply to Brooklyn Murtaugh
  • Raya

I love everything you decorate! Teach me how! YouTube perhaps?

Reply to Raya
  • Cassie

Love your entryway! I am currently redoing mine so this was perfect timing. Have you thought about putting some older hardback books under the lamp for some height? My go-to for dΓ©cor help is always hardback books that I find in antique shops or Salvation Army/Goodwill.

Reply to Cassie
  • Dana

Amazing transformation!

Reply to Dana
  • Anonymous

lookin good!
    You can always take the hooks off the arrow piece and re-use/upcycle them on the new stained board you have.

Reply to Anonymous
  • Brit

Yes please do more of these! holy moly it looks great

Reply to Brit
  • DailyFitFab @ Instagram

YES to more Home decor posts 😍 you have an eye for this stuff!

Reply to DailyFitFab @ Instagram
  • Laura Wilson

This area is so cute! You did a great job!

I love the home posts! They are so inspiring.

Since I live in Phoenix, I don’t put home decor out for a while. I can’t wait for it to start cooling down!

Laura

Reply to Laura Wilson
  • Anonymous

One of my favorite posts from you in a loooong time! I’ve always thought you had a great eye for design aesthetics— and I’m totally buying some of those wax melts and the Mango Caddy Crate Table Vase set! πŸ™‚ I say YES to more of these posts! I truly think this is one of your strengths!

My style varies a bit (one word- CONFLICTED!)– it’s similar to yours, warm and cozy and I LOVE antique shops and anything with history to it. But summers in San Diego make me want to go full on beach theme– all white, minimalist, touches of camel-colored leather and greenery. It’s a struggle to try and decide between the two!

Fall at the beach in San Diego is kind of cruel– we don’t really have seasons (I’m from Northern California originally and I miss seasons soooo much!) I bust out the fall decor in October but it’s still hot…..Christmas is usually in the 70s too!

Reply to Anonymous

Thank you so so so much!!!

hahaha I can totally get into conflicted decor sometimes! I bet it’s tough living in cali! I find myself going for more of a farmhouse/southern style down here in the south because it’s what I see everywhere, and I’m obsessed with Fixer Upper. I use that show for a lot of inspiration.

Love that you guys have great weather, but I totally understand the weather making it hard to “feeeeel” the seasons!

• Aileen

I know alllllll about the Fixer Upper obsession! Trying to convince my husband that we need shiplap (or Chip-lap as I call it!) in our lives. <3

Reply to Aileen
  • Nicole K.

Yes to more home decor posts! I love seeing the little tidbits of it that you do in regular recaps (like your couch makeover!), so I’d definitely enjoy more posts on that.
    Farmhouse! My home decor is very similar to yours – I love the rustic look!
    I haven’t brought any fall decor out yet, but I’d totally be lying if I said I didn’t have pumpkin spice scents in my wax pots already!

Reply to Nicole K.

Hi, Nicole!

Thanks for the input!! Will definitely start doing more!

Love that style!!!

lol I have a pumpkin latte one in my kitchen, but not in my main warmer yet! SOON!

• Cassie

I love this! YES more decor posts!! Id love to see your kitchen and dining room! My decor style is very similar: cozy modern farmhouse, although that’s more than one word πŸ™‚ in the summer I love the kind of boho look. I don’t have an official date for fall decorations but would love to get more into it this year! Once it starts getting cooler i get excited about fall, can’t wait!

Reply to Cassie

Hi, Cassie!

My kitchen is all updated, but not my favorite! I’ve been looking at new houses for the past year because I really wanna get a white kitchen with more windows! lol I don’t think if I updated my current kitchen it would flow well! Plus, it’s nice for someone who loves the darker cabinets + stainless appliance. (ok im rambling)

Yes, whenever I feel a breeze, I’m like “fall, is that you???” lol

xo xo xo

• Ashton

Yes to more home decor posts! I’m loving your little entry way and can’t wait to see what you do for a fall setup! If I had to describe my home decor style in a word i’d say FrenchCountry (that counts as one if I squish it together right?) Also if I could have pumpkins all year long I for sure would… but I bring everything out on Sept. 1st. Thats the day Harry Potter heads back to school so it’s fall for me.

Reply to Ashton

Thanks, Ashton!!

ohhhh French Country sounds amazing. I know exactly what you’re talking about! I follow SO MANY Pinterest boards lol

lol that is so funny!!!!

• Mary

Can you please do a YouTube home tour?!!

Reply to Mary
  • Katie Meshko

Ahhhh I love it SO much! You did a fantastic job. It’s motivating me to get going on my entry way now :p Yes to more home decor posts! My decor style in one word would be farmhouse. As far as Fall decor I am not sure yet.. we will see probably end of August? Happy Hump Day!
    XO, Katie | http://www.meshkomoments.com

Reply to Katie Meshko
  • Emily H

Definitely more home decor posts! I love your style and feel like it is really similar to mine! I’m all about the cozy/homey feel. Nothing feels more welcoming than cozy cute decor. Oh girl…….i bring the fall decor out September 1 PRONTO!

Reply to Emily H
    • Linda @ the Fitty

I have a huge passion for interior design and id also love to see more design photos ^^ they give me inspiration for my own dream house.

I feel bad for Kyle that his flight was canceled on his birthday πŸ™ butbim the positive side it looks like he got some great burgers cooked up from you donate that makes up for it. πŸ™‚

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty

Cozy and Homey is the best! 😊

Hahaha it’s SO HOT in September here but I’m always tempted!!

• Velvet

Yes more decor posts.

Style: gothic

I don’t decorate for the fall, just Halloween. And I’ll start that hopefully mid September.

Reply to Velvet
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

It looks so cosy, Taralynn! Love it πŸ™‚
    Great DIY, wish I had a house big enough for an entryway too! ❀️❀️

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Leslie

Yes love the home decor posts. Love your style.
    I would say my style is simple yet cozy. The smell of the room is my number one concern; so I love candles & the essence they bring. I also love stripes & checks & just not too much clutter overall.
    We live in California so Fall doesn’t really show up until November! I always bring my Fall decor out September 1st though. It’s my favorite season!

Reply to Leslie

Hi, Leslie!

Thank so so much! ❀️

The sent is everything and I think that really can set the mood of the house or room!

We are the same here! It’s hot pretty much until mid October/early November!