Collard Green Turkey Wraps & Wheatgrass Smoothie!

Happy Friday!

Brrrrr it’s a chilly one this morning. I just got back from a long dog walk, and now it’s coffee and blogging time πŸ™‚ I am so excited to share this recipe post with you. I had the salmon and birthday cake lined up, but I could hardly contain my excitement for this one. I’ll be sharing either the salmon recipe or birthday cake recipe over the weekend! I’ll let you choose. Let me know which one you’d like to see in the comment section.

If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably heard about my day. I had a true life lesson thrown in my face, and I’m so grateful for it. Check out my Insta-story for the details, if you don’t have Instagram, I’ll be sharing it in my weekly recap post.

After my train of events, I decided to make a very late lunch. We finally got a break in the rain, so I headed outside to fire up the grill. You don’t need the grill for this recipe, but I went ahead and used it to cook my turkey burgers! You can make them in the oven or on the stovetop.Β
I mentioned in a couple of posts back that I get inspired by restaurants. I’ve cut back on dining out tremendously this past year, and I love to bring myΒ restaurant favorites to life in my own kitchen.

So, today’s recipe was inspired by one of my favorite spots in Charlotte, Lunas Living Kitchen. I know what you’re thinking. Isn’t Luna’s a vegan restaurant? YES! It is. I didn’t try to replicate the recipe because I would NEVER be able to make it like them and I’d be left with disappointment. I just took some of their ideas like adding sprouts, using collard greens as a wrap, using hummus for a spread, and having a tasty green smoothie as a side. If you are a vegan and want to try a similar recipe, you can use veggie burgers, or stuff it with grilled tofu.

P.S. Lettuce wraps are OUT. Collard green wraps (that’s not considered lettuce, right?) are IN! They hold up so much better, have a great flavor, carry way more nutrients, and hold up as leftovers a lot longer.Β

5 from 5 votes

Collard Green Turkey Burger Wraps

Course Main Course
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Author Taralynn McNitt

The Turkey Burger Recipe

• 1.5 lbs Ground Turkey (I used 93% FF)
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (I used GF soy sauce)
  • 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp ground mustard
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/ tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp chopped dried onion

Wrap Ingredients

• collard green leaves
  • tomatoes
  • sprouts
  • avocado slices, or guacamole
  • hummus (i used mango sriracha)
  • red onion
  • cucumber

1. Heat your grill to high. (or your stovetop)

2. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey and all of the seasonings together.

3. Grease a sheet of tinfoil, or grill pan.

4. Measure 1/4 cup of the ground turkey and shape into burgers. Place the burgers on the tinfoil and sprinkle additional pepper on top.

5. Add burgers to grill and flip every five minutes until finished. I never measure the time, I always use a thermometer to read the computer to determine if it's done.

Transfer the cooked burgers to a plate and set aside.

Prepare the wrap!

1. Place a collard green leaf (the lighter side facing up) onto a plate.

2. Spread the hummus and guacamole on top of the leaf. Top with tomatoes, onions, and cucumber slices.

**I forgot to add the sprouts in before folding, so go ahead and add those in too!**

Add two turkey burger patties.

3. Fold the edges of the collard green leaf towards the center. Place another leaf on top, and flip it over and continue to wrap it tight. Tuck all of the open edges under the first layer.

**if this is too complicated, eat it like a taco!

I’m on a grilling kick. I just can’t stop! Why didn’t I get one earlier? (procrastinator, that’s why)

I cooked these on tin foil. I would have used my grill pan, but it was in the dishwasher. As soon as they were fully-cooked, I finished them off directly on the grill for about a minute on each side to give them grill marks. I turned the grill off and kept the lid open while doing this. The grill was still hot, and I didn’t want to overcook the burgers.Β
I set them aside to let them cool before adding them to the wraps. I didn’t want them to melt or wilt the vegetables and hummus.
You can get creative with the fillers. You can add pickles, jalapenos, more lettuce, peppers, mushrooms, greek yogurt, or anything you want! You can make so many fun variations of this recipe. I know I’ll be doing that a lot!

I used two leaves to secure and wrap these. I just started tucking all the edges into each other. The collard green is very thick and strong, so it holds well. It doesn’t fall apart when you cut into it, either.Β

5 from 5 votes

Mango Wheatgrass Smoothie

Course Breakfast, Drinks
Prep Time 10 minutes

• 1/2 Cup Frozen Mango
  • 1/4 Cup Ice
  • 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • 2 Tbsps Wheatgrass Powder
  • 1 Tbsp Camu Powder

1. Blend on high!

These are so great for BBQs! I love having a lower-carb option for dinner. I eat most of my carbs earlier in the day and stick to lower carbs in the evening. Because the collard greens hold up so well, these would be cute little appetizers to set out. You could even use a toothpick and make them mini wraps. I may try that! I’ll be making these all summer! I’ll try it out with tofu and grilled chicken next.
Each wrap has two turkey patties, 1 tbsp guacamole, 1 tbsp hummus, 3 cherry tomatoes, 4-5 cucumber slices, 1/4 cup spouts, and two collard green leaves.

This recipe makes 4 wraps

Nutrition per wrap:

Calories: 280 Calories, 9g Fat, Β 240 mg Sodium, 8g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 1g Sugar, 35g Protein

I love a healthy and hearty meal that makes me feel great. I could eat this every day! πŸ™‚
I hope you guys have a fabulous Friday & Weekend!

Questions for you!

1. Do you have a meal that you’ve created inspired by a restaurant?
  2. Have you ever used collard greens as a wrap?
  3. Salmon or Birthday Cake recipe?

• Stanley

Thanks so much, you must try it x

Reply to Stanley
  • Caily

I love Lunas!

Reply to Caily
  • Courtney

can’t wait to try these! Love Turkey burgers. Is the protein count correct on this recipe, though?

Reply to Courtney
  • Christina

What temperature is the turkey done at?

Reply to Christina
  • Anonymous

I loved this smoothie recipe

Reply to Anonymous
  • Emily

Hey Taralynn, just so you, raw collard greens are high in goitrogens, which can depress thyroid function if consumed too often. All cruciferous vegetables have them, but boiling them renders them harmless. Your wraps look tasty though! πŸ™‚

Reply to Emily
  • Hannah A.

On our honeymoon in April, the resort we are going to in Jamaica has a Jamaican cooking class, and I am SO excited about it!! I can’t wait to be able to make whatever dishes we end up loving the most from down there regularly once we’re back home! I know that’s not really a restaurant copycat, but kind of? πŸ™‚

I have found several collard green wrap recipes recently (this one sounds the best, for SURE), but my grocery stores don’t carry collard greens, and my heart is seriously broken over it D:

I always end up chopping up all of the ingredients into a kale salad to replace it, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to eat it a little differently! πŸ™‚ Also, I’ve never had collard greens, so I really wanted to try them! Maybe my Hy-Vee will come into some common sense and get them soon πŸ˜‰

The salmon recipe sounds good to me!! πŸ˜€

Reply to Hannah A.

Hi, Hannah!

Ohhh that is so amazing! I can’t wait to hear all about it! πŸ˜€

Oh, no!! Hy-Vee better get on it! Is it weird that one of the things I miss about Iowa is going to Hy-Vee? lol It’s one of the first things I plan on doing haha!

• Hannah A

I can completely understand that!

One of the things I miss the most about living in Wales while I was studying abroad (besides the super affordable and abundantly available travel to different countries…) was the local grocery store! It was called Morrison’s, and I was in love.

I will forever wish our local grocery store was as amazing!!

Reply to Hannah A
  • Olivia

I made the turkey burgers and they tasted awesome! Our grocery store didn’t have the collard greens so we used Udi’s gluten free buns.

Reply to Olivia
  • Dani

My boyfriend doesn’t eat healthy and it makes it hard on me. I hate that I have to cook two separate dinners. What should I do?

Reply to Dani

Hi, Dani!

I know this may sound harsh, but you don’t have to cook for him. He’s a big boy and should make his own dinner if he doesn’t want what you’re making. That’s how my parent’s treated us as kids when we refused to eat the dinners my mom made. Or, if you don’t want my bitter advice lol maybe try coming up with healthy recipes that you both like and that he’s willing to eat that you can make!

• Krista

I love this!! My mom always made it clear that she wasn’t a short order cook, and if we didn’t like it, we could “lump it,” lol πŸ˜‰

Reply to Krista
  • Willa

Your photos are so pretty. What editing app do you use?

Reply to Willa
  • Anonymous

Are those sprouts? Where do you buy your guacamole?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Angela Sharbono

Mmmm, looks delicious! πŸ™‚

Reply to Angela Sharbono
  • Melanie

Are you not suppose to cook right on the grill? What’s the aluminum for? I’ve never grilled but I thought you could put the meat right on the grill.

Reply to Melanie
  • Jordan W

Yum!! Me and my boyfriend make your turkey burgers on regular rotation. They are delicious!! Im definitely going to try them in a collard wrap. My problem with lettuce wraps is they always tear up so Im excited to try this. And I vote birthday cake!!

Reply to Jordan W

Hi, Jordan!

Yes, I love the taste of lettuce with burgers but they don’t hold up and they end up getting thrown into a bowl as a salad. I sometimes will add shredded lettuce to collard green wraps to get the flavor!

• Mel Vaughan

Another great recipe, thanks for sharing. I would love to see the Birthday cake recipe

Reply to Mel Vaughan
  • Susie @ Mile High Dreamers

YUM! We’re definitely going to try this with some black bean burgers! Ben has been using collard greens in his smoothies but I’ve been way too intimidated so far (they look like prehistoric leaves to me…). I think I’ve got this now :).

We ALWAYS are making restaurant favorites! It’s fun to replicate something you discover, especially when you healthify it so you can have it more often.
    BIRTHDAY CAKE! Soooo excited for this one!

Reply to Susie @ Mile High Dreamers
  • Jeni

That’s such a smart idea to replicate your favorite restaurant recipes at home! My philosophy when eating at restaurants is to never buy anything that could be easily made at home for cheaper! You’re so right about collard greens– they make some of the best wraps, and they have so much more nutritional value than lettuce.

Just curious, how does camu powder taste? Also, sorry if you’ve answered this before, but where do you buy all of the powders that you use in your smoothies? They all look super healthy!

We definitely need a birthday cake recipe! πŸ˜€

Reply to Jeni
  • Mary

We had friends over for a BBQ and my girlfriends loved the wraps! We have been doing low carb so I appreciated the idea.

Reply to Mary
  • Kelsey Weissner

Hey Taralynn! This looks AWESOME! Can’t wait to try. I’ve never used anything other than a tortilla for wraps haha. One of my most recent restaurant copy cat meals has been from Panera and I’m OBSESSED. They sell oatmeal at $4+ per bowl, so it was a no brainer to start making my own. I just use steel cut oats, apple chips, cinnamon, a little bit of brown sugar, and some sort of nut–they use pecans, but I like walnuts in there as well. SOO yummy and filling in the morning and so much more affordable making it at home. I’d like to see the birthday cake recipe please! πŸ™‚

Have a great weekend! xo Kelsey

Reply to Kelsey Weissner
  • Janna English

Birthday Cake

Reply to Janna English
  • Anonymous

Is it possible to blanch the collard leaves and dry them to soften the texture?

Reply to Anonymous
  • Nicole

What is the texture of collard greens when eaten raw? Love them cooked but never tried them raw…wondering about taste and texture.

Reply to Nicole
  • Heather

I really need to give collard greens a try as a wrap alternative! They look so good! I’m not a fan of lettuce wraps, but maybe I’ll like these better! Thanks for the recipe!

Reply to Heather
  • Dana

Always! I sometimes read menus from places I want to try and use as an inspiration point. It really works well with salads becuase it’s more about combination of flavors instead of cooking technique.

I have, haven’t done it in a while though. I did read a Sunbasket recipe that used dreamed leaves as enchilada wrappers. I want to try that.

Reply to Dana
  • Linda @ the Fitty

Do you find that wrapping them in aluminum foil is significantly better than if I just openly baked them?

Reply to Linda @ the Fitty
  • Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Two very delicious recipes, Taralynn! πŸƒ I can’t wait to make this now. Collard greens are so expensive here in Hong Kong, though, might have to get an alternative! πŸ™‚

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

Reply to Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
  • Rebecca Forney

I do like recreating restaurant meals that I love at home in a healthier way. Burgers are definitely one! I also like trying to remake baking recipes that I love into healthier and dairy free versions. Whenever I’m craving the Banana or Pumpkin Bread from Starbucks (love their pumpkin loaf) I try to look up lighter versions with more natural ingredients like oats or maple syrup. Definitely want to try this recipe, I love the collard green idea, now I just have to find them in my grocery store! I’ve never used them as wraps but have definitely tried lettuce wraps and then can be super flimsy. I’d love to see the birthday cake recipe next! Thanks for all your recipes! You really have inspired me to start eating more salads and eating out less! All of your salads always looks so good so I just think hmm what leftovers do I have that I can throw in a salad…and it always works great! Have a great weekend!

Reply to Rebecca Forney

Me too! I did that with a zucchini bread from a local coffee shop!

They are all over our grocery stores finally! They were MIA this winter!:)

Thanks so much and I love eating at home more! In the summer, i tend to go out more, so hopefully I can carry that on!

• Steph

Those both look so good! I can NEVER find collard wraps πŸ™ Do you get them at Trader Joe’s? I usually just shop at Kroger but may need to branch out haha!

My husband and I def need to try making our favorite resturaunt food at home! Way healthier and cheaper. Thanks for the inspiration. 😍

Reply to Steph